SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ 302zoloft

302zoloft

bump

50mg daily Zoloft (Sertraline) since March 2011 (For Panic Attacks/Anxiety)
25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 302zoloft

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

No need to bump your topic. When you post in it, it goes to the top of the View New Content list.

It's a good sign you felt better on 12.5mg. It will take at least 4 days to reach steady-state in your blood stream.

You will continue to have waves and windows for a while.

Changing dosages is destabilizing. Going up in dosage risks a hypersensitive reaction that could obliterate your sleep.

Your choice.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Today has been really hard. :(

12.5mg is fine, just wanted to ask about it as they said about changing too? I understand about not messing around though. I'm already not sleeping well; couldn't bear less.

I think I did the Epsom bath wrong as tired and tense all day.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

• Administrator

You'll have to ask them for more detail about their advice. I don't know why they told you to do that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Never mind then.

Went to bed a lot earlier last night and listened to some sleep hypnosis as I struggle with racing thoughts at night. Still have nightmares; mainly about losing my job or our house but I know that's highly unlikely and if I lost my job I would get another. Seems to be deeply ingrained though.

Mornings are pretty bad anxiety wise. I try to eat porridge and drink camomile tea then take a short walk and keep busy. Hard to keep my thoughts positive as every now and again a negative pops in. Hope this is just wd and my brain organising itself. I'm really not a down in the dumps kinda gal usually and I usually am so much better come late afternoon and evening. It's day four of 12.5mg sertraline. Hoping by the weekend will be a bit better? Am off work until Wednesday and then hope to be able to go in Thursday and Friday at least part of the day.

Have blood tests Tuesday to rule out any other issues and have a second opinion with a psych on Thursday as an not happy with the outcome from Monday plus better now I'm not on no sertraline as doctor recommended incorrectly!

Hope everyone else is okay and looking forward to the weekend.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there 302.     You can't do an Epsom bath wrong - you're just doubting yourself and that's part of the WD.    You're doing great!

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you fresh! I'm reading anatomy of an epidemic! Really interesting.

I'm so glad I found SD as was driving myself mad trying to ride it out after being told to just stop the medication.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Keep us posted on how you are feeling! :)

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

Today's been a better day. I'm really trying to eat little and often and it definitely helps. I was a bit late making dinner tonight and I got anxious but recognised it's because I hadn't eaten for nearly five hours. I need to keep a banana with me.

Worrying slightly about work next Thursday but trying to a) put it out of my mind B) say to myself so what when running through all the negative, catastrophising "what if's".

I know I have learnt how to cope with my anxiety n panic attacks in the past; just need to start putting it in practice and also accept that (hopefully) most of this is the wd process.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Do you think the reinstatment of zoloft and consistently taking 12.5mg is helping relieve some of the withdrawal? Glad to hear you are having a better day!

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

I definitely think so. This time last week was awful; on the Saturday I honestly thought I was losing it. It was so scary I thought I was going to have to go hospital. It's only since reinstating that things have improved.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Good! I'm happy to hear that for both our sakes. I know everyone is different but I am also going to try a low dose of the medicine I was on, prozac. I have been feeling like I'm going to lose it today so I completely know how it feels. Like I said before I tried to reinstate with a different drug than my original stuff and I had a bad reaction too. :/ I really hope you continue to feel better. No one deserves to go thru this!

How long have you been trying to come off?

I'm so angry about it all; the misinformation from doctors, the psych trying to feed me more pills I definateky don't need, no support other than here, having to take time off work because it's so bad.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I've been trying to get off medication for over two years now. Same reason as you because I don't want to be on it when I have a baby and I didn't like some side effects but now my side effects look like nothing... I tried to do the Prozac switch to get off and it didn't work. I've been off since September 2nd. Now I'm praying I can get back on it because I can't live like this.

Did you taper?

I hope once I'm settled on the 12.5mg for 4-6 weeks then start reducing by 10% I will be okay. But I'm terribly worried about a relapse, or protracted withdrawal etc etc. I had no idea about any of this. There are no hard rules or facts it seems and everyone is different which doesn't help :( what does your doctor say? Where in the world are you?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Sorry, was on my mobile but changed to full and seen you're in Seattle and read about your story. Do you mind if I ask why you went back on Zoloft after coming off? I'm worried about the likelihood of that

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

My doctors are no help at all. They don't know diddly. I did taper off prozac 8 mgs (thought it was 10mg) actually for 9 months every 4-6 weeks. Still got protracted withdrawal. So be careful. Go as slow as a snail. Trust me. I went back on medication because I started having panic attacks again a year later after getting off it. So I just went back on it. I wish I could have got away when I had the chance...

So even if I reduce 10% every 4-6 weeks this still might not work and I still might get panic attacks again?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Yeah. You have to learn to deal with the panic attacks first that's for sure. I learned how to but it's taken 7 years of having an "anxiety disorder" which stems from my dad dying when I was 15. I don't get panic attacks really anymore but I can't get off meds without very uncomfortable withdrawal. Here's what I would do if I could go back. I would have never got back on them. But if I did then I would have weaned down like I did to 1mg and then stay at 1mg and call it good. 1mg I didn't have withdrawal and didn't really have side effects either. If I could go back to September I would stay on 1mg and just accepted that because this withdrawal crap is stupid.

• Administrator

Moonlite, I have asked you to post only in your own Intro topic. Please do so. Thank you.

I am talking about my passed experience and answering her question. You said yourself in my thread that I could participate again...

"You're welcome to continue to participate, Moonlite, but you need to help us out and stop asking the same questions over and over. You don't seem to read the responses.

If you're going to be repetitive, please do it in this one place."

Then if I'm repetitive in my own thread I'm still in the wrong when you say I can be repetitive in my own thread.

You need to stop picking on me. Isn't the point of this site to have support and discuss things with other people. I think if 302zoloft wants to talk to me and ask questions in her own thread she has a right to do so.

• Administrator

Moonlite, your experience with reinstatement does not illustrate anything about reinstatement, except that if you jump around in dosages, nobody can figure out what's going on.

I wasn't advising her about reinstatment. I was having a conversation about past experience.

So alto is it true? Do you know how many people in similar situations to mine actually successfully get through this please?

I only managed about six hours sleep. I'm so worried about going crazy or about not being able to go to work next week or about relapsing. Please help or give me advice??

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Ok it's bad today guys. I have a lot of anxiety, racing thoughts, cried this morning and not cried in days. Feel tense and jaw clenching.

I'm so scared I'm not with it and am losing my mind. I don't feel like me, I have felt so much calmer the last few days. I bought a sad light to see if that helped but think it takes time.

I'm worried this is all for nothing; in not going to improve or be able to get off the drugs and then where will I be? Is this anxiety just starting 12.5 sertraline or is this my original anxiety and racing thoughts? I don't think I can go back to work next week. I need Cbt or something as I don't think I am coping today. Not as bad as last weekend but definateky worse than since Tuesday. Please help

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi 302 ,    I'm so sorry you're having a bad wave.   This morning you sounded so positive , which is great , but this is how it works.   Have you read about windows and waves yet?    

The sertraline is still settling in ... how many days has it been since reinstating?   

Alto says it takes 4 days to get into the bloodstream , so it's only just started to do it's stuff.    All the worry and fears you have are from the withdrawal.     It may help if you can negotiate some leave from work , so that's not an additional stress.    I'd be asking for another week at least , and I'm sure you could get a medical certificate if you need it.

Try to do anything you find distracts you from ruminating -   music , tv , you-tube , reading , walking , a bath , ANYTHING.   This isn't permanent , it's just your cns in a state of flux  (i.e. fluctuating).

Hugs ,

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes I have; David Healy. I just feel like I can't do this I'm struggling for motivation and not to cry today. I think not having much sleep hasn't helped. This is so hard. I'm trying to get hold of someone to do Cbt. I don't know how you all do this. I feel like I am losing it. It's been five days today on 12.5mg. I've already had five weeks off work. That's why I want to get back asap

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Try not taking the B complex vitamin. You might be too sensitive for them right now and they are actually over stimulating you rather than helping. Do you notice you have worse anxiety after taking it? I have never been able to tolerate B complex vitamin even not in withdrawal. It makes me too jittery. I also tried taking B complex during withdrawal and I had one of the worse panic attack in my life. Just try going without it for a few days and see if it makes a difference with the anxiety. My experience with B complex vitamin is is made me so anxious like I had 10 shots of coffee. Fish oil should be ok and you can try magnesium. Ive heard those two are used a lot to help with withdrawal. The epsom salt baths are a good way to relax and get magnesium. I light all my candles and put relaxing music on. It helps! :) just think you are better than you were last week!

I stopped the b vits 4th feb.

Think it's a bad day due to six hours sleep. Have had some camomile tea and in a bath now but no Epsom salts.

I know I'm being repetitive, I am just struggling so much today. The last few days have been really good. But when it's bad it's pretty bad. I held off taking any Valium or anything to make today easier as I really do want my body to go back to how it was.

Meeting someone tomorrow to hopefully get some professional help with the anxiety; cbt

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Oh ok! Lack of sleep can definitely make things feel worse. Maybe you can squeeze a nap in today. Chamomile tea is good stuff. Just focus on the small improvements you have made so far.

• Administrator

302zoloft, people do have success reinstating -- but it's not guaranteed.

You seem to be doing better yourself. 6 hours of sleep! That's not too bad for withdrawal syndrome.

It may take some time for your system to settle down. It may be rocky for a while, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

But this is my best chance?? If I settle on 12.5mg sertraline could I just stay on it for six months and give myself a break from this past months hell? If it doesn't work will I need to go up more??

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Administrator

Nobody knows what the optimal solution would be for you. It's a good sign you're feeling better on 12.5mg.

You've barely given it a chance to work. It's just getting to steady-state in your system now. It's not time to talk about increasing it yet. You should gradually continue to improve while experiencing The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Yes, you could stay at 12.5mg for 6 months if it is comfortable for you.

Please try to remain calm. Breathe through your anxiety.

Everyone here is in a pickle. They are dealing with a problem about which doctors have no idea what to do.

I'm sorry; in being impatient and as usual trying to be ten steps ahead of the present trying to preempt possible issues and solutions. It's part of my problem. And I know it's not just me going through this or even thinking I'm the worst case.

I do really appreciate all your help, replies and suggestions. I don't know where I would be if I hadn't reinstated; probably on venlafaxine and dosed up on lorazepam like a zombie.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi 302.

I can truly empathize with how you're feeling and wanting answers about what will happen. I was so desperate to know that I would feel better and be able to stabilize. I was terrified, really.

Do give your current dose more of a chance as Alto advises. I didn't heed that advice and bumped up my dose quickly out of desperation. Looking back it seems clear I would have stabilized at a lower dose than I ultimately reinstated to had I given things a chance. I don't know how much lower, but lower all the same.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I will hold here, just wanted to know what the plan sort of is. We have the syringes now so will have 12.5mg reliably as quartering the pills wasn't precise.

I hate being this person. It isn't me at all. It's disgusting to think so many people have to suffer coming off these sorts of pills.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015