SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ 302zoloft

302zoloft

I'd rather stabilise faster and taper longer than endure this. But now I already started on 12.5 I'm worries about the effect going up. Maybe 25mg?

Maybe leave it one more week?

50mg daily Zoloft (Sertraline) since March 2011 (For Panic Attacks/Anxiety)
25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 302zoloft

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather stabilise faster and taper longer than endure this. But now I already started on 12.5 I'm worries about the effect going up. Maybe 25mg?

If you choose to go up and if I were you I'd probably choose to go to 25 mg first as well. ( ever so slowly)

The last time I ever touched a med was Zoloft. I pooped out on PAXIL and my doc straight switched me from PAXIL to 50 mg of Zoloft. I never stablized at all ( and we played the dose switch games for months and months) But by this time it was because I already ct'd once and when I stablized I should have started a taper but I didn't. I also should have switched back to PAXIL to stablize ( the one I had been on for years). ( had no clue what all this was happening to me). It's such a hard call. This all couldn't just be WD now for you. Some may say it could be the effects of Zoloft again. We really don't know. I would try and listen to your gut instincts at this point. Either way no matter what you choose to do you will have support here. i would also stay away from the benzo and not add anything into the equation. ( others would disagree). If you are unsure then yes, wait another week. You may even feel a bit better. Who knows

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

• Moderator Emeritus

When I RI'd from my first ct back in 2009, I RI'd at the previous dose I was on with PAXIL. 20 mg. therapeutic dose. It took 3 months to Stablize. I have to wonder if this is why people on here seem to take a year or so to stablize. Perhaps a therapeutic dose needs to be taken? I know of a few in my WD travels who RI'd at normal therapeutic doses and then have or are successfully coming off now. It may take longer to taper but stabilizing can be quicker and quality of life can resume sooner.

imac, we always appreciate people sharing their experiences here, and I'm glad the 20 mg worked so well for you. 

It's always so tempting to assume that what has worked well for us, will work well for others too; it's something I have stumbled on myself, many times.

However, this forum's been around since 2011, and a lot of us were working on other forums before that, so the patterns that we see and the principles that we have developed are based on not just one case, but hundreds. 

After you've been around a few years you'll have the chance to see how these patterns play out and that our advice is really based on a lot of experience.

Given how hard it is to predict how any one person is going to react, we will always take a harm reduction, conservative approach here, and base our advice on the full context of a person's history.

Overall, I have seen that large changes in meds, in a nervous system that's already struggling, are more likely to lead to worsening than to improvement most of the time.

That said, I think it's important for us to include, in our knowledge of what has worked for others and what hasn't, those cases where people did something we might not have advised here. The outliers are always valuable to know about.  So thank you for telling your story.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

You just went on the sertraline at 12.5 a couple of weeks ago, right? I would give it a full four weeks before deciding to increase again, and then do so in a smaller step than doubling my dose. 

In other words, give it another week or two and see if overall you feel that you are improved over where you were in late January. During this time, keep a daily journal, jotting down what times of day you notice worse symptoms or better, and ranking your overall symptoms on a scale of 1 to 5. It is typical during this period for there to be roller coaster improvement, some days better, some days worse.

If after a full four weeks you feel that you have basically had some improvement over your condition in January but you'd like to try increasing more at that point, I would say go up to no more than 15 mg, and then keep your journal and observe how it goes for another two to four weeks.

The thing is, if you go too high and it knocks your nervous system for a loop, you can end up losing any stability you may have gained so far and end up worse than you were to begin with. However, if you do need to take a bit more, if you do it in small increments, you can find your "sweet spot" without risking a big crash and burn.

It's worth taking the trouble now, although I know that right now is the hardest time to summon up that kind of patience! I would hate to see you do something you will regret for a long time.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks all for your replies. I hit rock bottom today and actually have had to come home to my parents. I called the psych I am seeing on Monday and he said not to take any sertraline (I took 25mh today as was so desperate but then felt like I was losing my mind) and no oxazepam which a gp recommended. I have Valium to cover me until Monday when I meet the psych so will see what he says; he arranged that kindly so my mum could go pick it up from the hospital. I have also purchased various books on the kindle and am reading them. I really feel for anyone going through this and never knew how bad this could get. I'm desperate to be back to myself as i am a shadow of the confident, happy person I have been. Just have to hold on for a couple of days until I see this guy. He has been more than helpful so far; always taking my calls, despite having not seen him yet. I really was at my wits end this morning and very fearful of the spiral taking place. I have been keeping a diary and am trying to keep my head above water but it is hard. My poor fiancee is finding it hard too as there is nothing he can do (another reason to come to my parents; so he can have a break). I am so angry at the dismissive doctors and being told what I have been so far. I still have hope that this will be okay but I realise it's not going to be an overnight fix. Please keep me in your prayers or send good vibes.

So sorry you are suffering I know how awful it is ( med free 32 months) I am concerned you are having anything to do with benzodiazepines . You will rapidly become addicted in just a few days and your problems will be compounded by rebound anxiety and benzo withdrawal is often a worse experience than AD . If taking one head med has caused you so much damage why are you blindly shoving others in your mouth and expecting a different outcome ? There are no good head meds without side effects and the potential for addiction. Your whole future is at s sliding door moment . What you do now will set you on a course you have to stick with to the end. Personally having got off I would stay off. Most doctors will try to give you more drugs. That is what they do. You have to take your life into your own hands because its you that has to live with the consequences not your doctors. I wish you all the best

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Administrator

imac, chill out. We're all on the same side here, and we all want 302zoloft to feel better.

Here, we take the position of moving cautiously when changed drug dosages. One can find any kind of advice from commenters on the Web, who might not stick around to see what happens if such advice is taken and goes wrong.

We are very aware of our responsibility here, and we do not urge people to make big changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

302, I am glad you had a safe and supportive place to stay during this ordeal.

I had a few Valium during my worst morning terror period, and did not to my knowledge become addicted. I did become physically addicted to Ativan very quickly, though. I ran out of pills and thought about calling an ambulance, til I found a third of a pill and restored myself. So of course be cautious, but in my experience a few Valium were better than suicide.

I am fully clean of psych drugs and doing much much better, finally. Hang in there!

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello 302,

I'm so sorry about what you are going through at the moment.  I can tell that you are in shock about how fast this has caused your life to fall apart.  You will get through this though, especially if you are able to remain calm, be patient and take your time before making any decisions regarding drug changes.

I read through your thread and one thing which stood out was the fact that you had a bad reaction to trying to take lorazepam, to me this indicates that your nervous system is highly sensitized and not reacting to drugs as would normally be expected.  This means that no one can safely predict how any drug changes are likely to effect you now, so please be careful and consider what Rhi has written:

If after a full four weeks you feel that you have basically had some improvement over your condition in January but you'd like to try increasing more at that point, I would say go up to no more than 15 mg, and then keep your journal and observe how it goes for another two to four weeks.

At this point, 2 weeks into reinstatement, would you say you have had some improvement, no change or that you are worse?

Are you still taking any homeopathic remedies?  If so, what do they contain?

Many people find magnesium helpful, see:   Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

How are you today?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Wow. At the above comments.

For the record Cressida I didn't blindly shove meds down my throat; if you read through my previous posts I have tried hard to come with the symptoms and not had them. I had one out of desperation as I needed a break from this hell. But thanks a lot for the support (sarcastic)

Secondly this is my journey and no one else's and I appreciate support and positivity but negativity and low blows aren't appreciated. This is really difficult.

I can't take this anymore and I am looking at checking in to a private clinic to wean off. I have been non stop sick these last few days and left really weak and low on morale. There is definitely a problem trying to come off these meds. Today I put off taking my sertraline and have decided not to take it at all today and guess what; not throwing up or feeling horrific. I will take it again tomorrow until the consult on Tuesday. They have a program for tapering off ads. Everyone is different and I don't think the ri has been good for me. It's been a horrible struggle these last six weeks and I have hated it. I have tried all the suggestions and am thankful for support from some of you. The bad stories haven't helped.

I don't know what else to say. It's very easy being a faceless, unaccountable person on the web, but I need support and medical help to get this poison out of my body. Just because something works for some doesn't mean it will work for all and likewise just because something doesn't work for others doesn't mean it won't for me. I am praying that I can get through this. It's been hell. If I have to go back on to meds then so be it. I do not have the luxury of time and have already been off work nearly two months and it's time to get on with my life. I had hoped that I could get through this and be okay but it's proving difficult. This should be a place for talking and reading helpful stories not for forced opinions or sniping at each other.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

Reinstating doesn't work for everyone. I found that each time I tried to reinstate I felt way way worse than even just regular withdrawal. People kept telling me to stay on it and stick with it. Well I did that for a week the first time and then the second failed attempt two days and I decided that I know my body best because it's ME and that my body was rejecting the medication now and that continuing to take it was not going to get me to where I wanted to go. I too could not stop throwing up and it made my anxiety worse after I hadn't had any anxiety for a long time. I'm not saying to stop your medication and I don't know what will work for you and I am not giving advice here as if I do I will get in trouble. But what I experienced with reinstatment is it made me much worse. I hope that this clinic and program you are looking into will be helpful for you and you do whatever is needed to get you back to feeling well and functioning. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your situation. There are good supprtive people on here too. You have my support whatever you decide is right for you. No matter what happens you will make it thru this. Keep fighting.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

Thank you!!!!!! X

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the nausea is connected the sertraline 302.      I don't think missing a day , then taking it again , is sensible.   Would you consider taking a partial dose today and tomorrow , then reassess?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Good luck 302. I hope you find the cure :) Please report back on how you are doing.

I did not read your whole thread but i`d like to say something about RI. I don`t think the success of it is something that can be measured very easily. CT or too fast taper throws our brain off the cliff so to speak so no matter what we are in hell for some time. RI or not. How much time will it take to feel good, no one knows and when you finally feel better is it because of ri or is your brain just finally getting better and coping with the situation? 

People here can only give advice how to be as safe as possible. Personally i am strongly against fighting wd with other meds. My opinion is that it will only prolong brain`s natural ability to deal with everyday life but that`s just me. I am not here to judge what others do.

I tapered from 100mg of zoloft in 2,5 months and CT:d diazepam 10-20mg as needed (many times every week for 2 yrs). I continually got worse before i crashed big time 5-6 weeks after jumping. I found this place and RI:d to the last dose I was taking. That was 12,5mg. I got nausea and my symptoms generally got worse. I believe that it was more of the cumulative effect of tapering too fast and not the RI itself.

I was never stable. I did not even know what that meant but 5 weeks later i begun tapering again. Slowly I started feeling a bit better and after 5 months i could really see that I was going to the right direction. I was still in a horrible shape but i finally could see light in the end of the tunnel. I was only alive because of my lovely family and this site. I`m not going to go into detail on how bad I was. You can find all gore from my thread. But I was in more bad shape than what I told here. I was done complaining. It did not help.

So did RI help? I do not know but it did give me a plan. It gave me a direction and comfort. My waves were so brutal that it was impossible to say what contributed to them. The most important thing I got from this place were the people that were willing to take some time to give support. Super detailed tapering plans were never my thing. The things i remember of the day i got here was the warm welcome from mammap and some others. I have no idea what they said :) Lately this site has become more of a fighting ground. Like there is a civil war going on and i hate it. 

Well I am now close to 2 months completely clean of any kind of drugs after a year long taper and 2 failed attempts in the previous years. Now for the first time I know what stability is! I`m far from well but I feel fortunate and grateful for many people on this site. Regardless of their own opinions. I preach a lot about acceptance and that probably pisses off many people here but i`m going to take that risk :) I choose to be positive. Many times i fail but negativity is the last thing that is going to help. 

So what am i trying to say? This site can give a lot more to people that just tapering plans. We all here have many things in common. We can share bad and good things and ask for an advice. We are all allowed to have opinions and sometimes sparks fly but still we are all on the same side.

So how about a ******* group hug? :) 

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

The key difficulty with withdrawal is that we don't know what will work for whom and in what circumstances. We work in the space of possibilities, not probabilities or certainties. We are clear about that in the reinstatement thread. It's a gamble

I wish it had paid off for you 302 and I'm sorry you are suffering. I believe you are a strong person and will get through this. I hope the in person help is productive and you find some relief

Take care

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

302, I am sorry reinstatement of Zoloft did not work for you. Perhaps Prozac would have been better.

Please let us know what you learn at the antidepressant tapering faciiity.

Moonlitelotus, please post only in your own Intro topic, as I have requested numerous times.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks alto, that's helpful!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing 302?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

((((302)))) I am sorry you're feeling so desperate. (((HUGS))) Don't despair over negative comments. Some people have nothing better to do than judge others. They were like this before meds and will, most assuredly, continue to move through life this way after meds. What you need is relief, even if just a little, and you are desperate to do something, anything, to help your brain/body in this struggle. I get it. You are TRYING. Life seems like it's passing you by, but it's not. It will still be rotating when you are healed and ready to reenter the party. Do whatever you feel is best for you and know that you are not alone in your journey towards mental and physical health. We're all on different trains, changing stations, headed towards different destinations. And all the destinations are filled with joys and challenges. This ordeal you're going through right now will help you enjoy the highs more fully, as well as arm you with strength to handle the lows more easily. It's all good, even though it's hard to feel anything good is happening right now.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 1 month later...

I've done it! Been off Zoloft/sertraline for nearly two months! I have my life back.

The retreat I went to helped a lot; talking, cbt, cut out sugar and ate healthily. It was mainly an addiction centre for recovering addicts but it helped so much having structure (group sessions eight times a day, massage, yoga etc) having regular healthy meals, having medical support, we weren't allowed phones, TV or Internet. I read a few books in there one of which was the power of now by eckhart tolle which I found really helpful.

I also used Chinese medicine when I came out and have Accupuncture. I hadn't been drinking for months but had my first few drinks over the last weeks and I'm good. I'm back to work, I'm happy and I'm so grateful to be through it all!

It feels like some nightmare I had and not real life. The first three months of this year were so hard. So many tears and upset. I've let go of the anger I had for the medical "professionals" who let me down.

I just wanted to update you as I know often people get better and disappear. I hope maybe this will help someone realise that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Very good!

What retreat was it? Xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

Good to hear! How did you finally go off Zoloft?

• Moderator Emeritus

That's wonderful news 302 , I'm so happy that you're feeling better.

I found Tolle's "Stillness Speaks" easy to read and thought-provoking if you're looking for another good read.

I have loads of questions (lol).

How long were you in the facility for?

How quickly did you come off the 12.5 sertraline?  Did things get worse before they got better , or was it improvement all the way?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

The facility is called life works in Surrey (England) and the psychiatrist said I would only need to be there for two weeks but I did stay for three. It's mainly an addiction centre for alcoholics and drug addicts but the psychiatrist I saw was very supportive of my ssri withdrawal and wanting to come off. The week before I went in I had stopped the medication as it was making me so sick. I found life works on a really really low day where I just felt I couldn't go on and I wasn't safe. I wanted to have medical support and not be home alone.

For me the structure of having to get up when they tell you, have breakfast and sit in groups with others was really hard at first but I do think it really helped me. The food is all freshly prepared so you get a lot of healthy meals and you have to eat them. As I had been being sick they were really understanding and some times I ate on my own just while I got over that. The doctor put Valium on my file so if I needed it I could have it. I only had it about three days of those three weeks as was so determined to come off. The assistants there are all in recovery and have their own story; one of them had been on a similar journey as me but her doctor prescribed her repeat prescriptions of Valium to help her withdrawal and then she was addicted to Valium. We had one to one Cbt sessions each week as well as an assigned counsellor. The first two or three days I was determined to leave as didn't think it was for me but I was talked in to staying and in glad I did. Towards the end of the three weeks I had three anxiety free days and so thought I was "over it". Then when I came home it threw up a lot as I lost that structure and security. While we were in there there was no mobiles, no internet or TV and lots of structure. Set meal times, set programme, lots of self work. So when I got home I arranged to see a hypnotherapist, accupunctureist and masseuse. It was important to keep working on myself as I had in there. I also saw a Chinese doctor and got some herbs to help with the withdrawal; this complimented the Accupuncture I also had.

It's been a gradual improvement but I have now been back to work full time for about four weeks. I started off doing two hours a day, then a week of half days and now I'm back full time.

For me it was important to recognise that I had no control over the withdrawal, let go of what control I thought I had and hand it over to God or a higher power or whatever you believe. I focus on the present and don't worry about the past or future.

The book I really liked was the power of now by eckhart tolle as it says if you focus too much on the future you cause yourself stress and anxiety. Spend too much time on the past and you cause yourself sadness and anger. I found these true for me; thinking about what the doctors should have done in the past to avoid what was the worst three months of my life withdrawing from medication and then stress and anxiety and what ifs about the future and would I ever be okay again.

For me it was a combination of things to help me as well as the determination to get off the medication. I do sometimes get anxiou but it's a normal level and I am quick to put things in perspective; worrying about a stressor at work or something out of my control, being around a lot of people I don't know (wedding) or even sometimes just getting caught up worrying about things that are unlikely to happen (house things, money, wedding etc).

I really did not think I would get through this all and when I looked back at the first three months of this year I cannot believe what I went through and that I did it. With help of course.

I cut out sugar, caffeine and focused on eating regularly and healthily so my body had what it needed to repair. I found the Chinese herbs really helpful as well and the Accupuncture. I don't necessarily "believe" in it all and I haven't investigated it a lot but I know it helped me. I still go for Accupuncture once a fortnight to keep me balanced. And I am not saying that it's making me feel like myself but psychologically it helps me and I know it's non invasive and it's not a western drug. That was the same with the Chinese herbs which I took for about three weeks.

I know everyone is different and I don't know what the answer is but that was my journey and that's what helped me.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. This site was helpful at the start and made me realise that it was withdrawal and not relapse which I am thankful for or I might still me on the medication or worse on a higher dose of it!!!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Oh and fresh it wasn't improvement all the way; it was more one step forward two back. But at least I was moving in the right direction. There have been set backs and times I felt I wasn't getting better. Then I'd have a step forward and i would be thankful for that. I focused a lot on the positive and less on the negative.

I started reducing the sertraline in October/nov 2014 and it's only really April that I have felt more like me. The withdrawal didn't really happen until January. And the first three months this year were the hardest. Especially trying to find people to support me in the medical profession.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I am so pleased for you!

When you were at the retreat did you have to taper off sertraline or did you just stop?

Hope your live continues to go well.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi flowers as above, I stopped the week before I went in as couldn't stand it anymore as was making me so sick and anxious and low. I dreaded taking the sertraline every morning. Psychiatrist agrees to just stop and they would handle things when I arrived.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Yes, so sorry I forgot you were having so many problems.

I must say this gives hope to us all. Maybe I need to take a trip over to Surrey!!

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Administrator

302, what's your current symptom pattern?

Nothing. I'm great.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Administrator

Can you explain more about this process? Thank you.

I started reducing the sertraline in October/nov 2014 and it's only really April that I have felt more like me. The withdrawal didn't really happen until January. And the first three months this year were the hardest. Especially trying to find people to support me in the medical profession.

About reducing? It's all in my history alto. The doctor halved my 50mg dose in oct/nov then in January when withdrawals hit another said 25mg was nothing so stop altogether then back on. Was yo yoing.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Administrator

What kind of symptoms did you have when you went off 25mg, how long did they last, and how did they resolve? What was the pattern?

Hi alto it's all in my thread. Forgive me but I don't want to rehash what's already here

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• 2 weeks later...

This really is a remarkable and stunning recovery. You are even back at work ..that is tremendous.

Do you think the acupuncture esp.  helped. Would you rec it.   Do you know the names of the chinese herbs?

Best Wishes 302Z.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

So since late February, you didn't take anything but went to the clinic?

In February, you weren't feeling well, what was the process of this resolving? I don't mean what was the treatment, I mean what were your internal sensations and feelings.

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alto, in February (mid) I was having really bad days where I couldnt be on my own and there was one day I was crying and my mum was at mine with me and I started calling around to see if someone (rehab) could accomodate me and I could get it on the private health care as I just couldnt see it getting better - doctors werent supporting me, it was getting worse and I couldnt keep taking time off work or having people stay with me in the day. I stumbled across Lifeworks and called them in tears explaining the situation - the admissions lady I spoke to was really lovely and even put me on to the duty nurse who had experience with people coming off anti depressants. THey made an appointment for me to see the Pshyc and I went down there and explained all to him, armed with all the information I had on withdrawals. I felt hopeless, I didnt know what I was going to do if they couldnt help - I even thought on the way home that if I just opened the door of the car whist we were racing down the motorway I could just end it all... thats how bad it was. I wasnt eating much as just threw it up, was a total shadow of myself.

I was due to go to the clinic and check in on the Thursday I think it was but called them on the TUesday and said I cant do this anymore - so they admitted me that same day.

The first two days I took some valium and said I wanted to go home as felt so anxious there, you couldnt just stay in bed you had to get up and participate as well as eat meals (I had hardly been able to eat anything before). I felt embarassed, awkward, like a fraud (its mainly a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre and I was struggling to come off prescription drugs!). I had been off the sertraline probably for about two weeks by then (You can see from my history I had been off it in january once then again briefly at the end as well as trying to take one 50mg tablet another time - so my body was all over the place).

I was only meant to be in there for two weeks, but stayed for three. 

I struggled to sit in the groups we had 7 times a day, I struggled to participate and sit with other people, I struggled to eat three meals a day and snacks in between, I struggled in the mornings the most and hated having to get up at 8am every morning. It was horrible. But at the same time I had medical support around me 24/7 and there were other people going through things (worse things I think!). 

I dont know the names of the herbs, sorry - the chinese "doctor" took my pulse and also looked at my tongue - he said my liver qi was out and these herbal pellet type things would help - I had to take two sachets a day and there were maybe 40 pellets inside (small small brown balls) morning and evening. I was desperate - I had been feeling better at Lifeworks, but then when I came home I felt overwhelmed and anxious again so I needed something and the chinese herbs sounded better than taking western medicine for me personally. I also felt the accupuncture would offer a "two pronged attack". I still have the accupuncture once a fortnight. 

I am still eating healthily - I find that in the mornings when I first wake I feel anxious, but as long as I get up and eat my mood improves. I dont dwell on the past or too much on the future (not as easy as it might sound to some) and I accept that all I can control is that very moment so no point projecting or catastophising. I have also had hypnotherapy which I think has helped clear some head space.

I still wake up in the morning and think "oh I need to take my sertraline" because it was a habit for so many years. 

I am still wondering who I am off this medication, I snap a bit more than I used to, I dont feel as "level" as I did where my mood didnt shift much, but thats just a learning curve I need to address as need to control my emotions or reactions more than I did when had all that serotonin floating around my head.

Sorry it took me so long to reply - been very busy with work, house and wedding planning. So glad to be back in a place I can look forward to it all again.

I will write in the recovery success stories one day, but still need a bit more time to adjust to being "normal" aka without my medicine before I think I am successfully recovered. Its only been two months and I think its improving more steadily than before I went to lifeworks. 

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015