SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Post-withdrawal nervous system hypersensitivity, hyper-reactivity and kindling

stan

ADMIN NOTE Going on and off drugs and taking doses inconsistently can cause nervous system destabilization and hypersensitivity. This predispose someone to kindling, an adverse reaction when increasing the dosage or taking another drug, even a drug that caused no problems before.

Also see Hypersensitivity and Kindling

The hypersensitivity common in nervous system destabiization underlies kindling.

W-BAD World Benzodizapine Awareness Day. (2020). Kindling. World Benzodiazapine Awareness Day July 11. https://w-bad.org/kindling/

Wikipedia. (2020). Kindling (sedative–hypnotic withdrawal). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kindling_(sedative-hypnotic_withdrawal)&oldid=966037191

Kaymaz, N., van Os, J., Loonen, A. J. M., & Nolan, W. A. (2008). Evidence That Patients With Single Versus Recurrent Depressive Episodes Are Differentially Sensitive to Treatment Discontinuation: A Meta-Analysis of Placebo-Controlled Randomized Trials. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 69(9), 1423–1436. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v69n0910

Allison, C., & Pratt, J. A. (2003). Neuroadaptive processes in GABAergic and glutamatergic systems in benzodiazepine dependence. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 98(2), 171–195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7258(03)00029-9

Kraus, J. E. (2000). Sensitization Phenomena in Psychiatric Illness: Lessons from the Kindling Model. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 12(3), 328–343. https://doi.org/10.1176/jnp.12.3.328

Bell, I. R., Rossi, J., Gilbert, M. E., Kobal, G., Morrow, L. A., Newlin, D. B., Sorg, B. A., & Wood, R. W. (1997). Testing the neural sensitization and kindling hypothesis for illness from low levels of environmental chemicals. Environmental Health Perspectives, 105(suppl 2), 539–547. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.97105s2539

Fava, G. A. (1995). Holding on: Depression, sensitization by antidepressant drugs, and the prodigal experts. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 64(2), 57–61. https://doi.org/10.1159/000288992

At 18 months off I go to the ophthalmologist for glasses and he dilate my eyes for the back of the eye, at leaving the office : vertigo, dizzy, and next day it go , ok

yesterday i go again to the same ophthalmologist, after the product that expands my eyes, an hour after I go out and very very dizzy,vertigo.

and this morning, vertigo all day, I could not go shopping,

I did not put the new prescribe drops in the eye because i have no much water tears, I feel that I am allergic and am writing with vertigo/dizzy ,hypersensitivity has appeared at 26 months off

Edited by Altostrata
updated

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hypersensitivity was mind-blowing in early WD for me, Stan. It's gotten better, and it will be getting better. I still can't tolerate too much light, all the everyday sounds are very often too much to take, but the progress, though slow, is there. Dizziness, vertigo and others are caused to a great extend by an over-stimulation. What you're experiencing is WD. I know that you know all of this, but telling yourself those bizzare feelings are just temporary helps a lot.

Just a little bit more. It will be improving. Please, remind me, how many months off you're now?

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

near 26 months off and begin to improve a little since one/two months, but very little;

improving in waves...?

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

near 26 months off and begin to improve a little since one/two months, but very little;

improving in waves...?

That can mean only one thing - you're on the right track, and the coming months may see even more improvement. The worst is definitely behind you.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I recognize this too well... hypersensitiviy is now my major issue, after 43 long long months! But I guess my case is for some mysterious reason very uncommon. I never had light sensitiviy, but sound sensitivity can still be torturous and triggers the torturous jolts around the heart region. When this would vanish Iwould defintatley feel a lot better! It is still WD related beyond any doubt so I am afraid we need even more patience...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

At 18 months off I go to the ophthalmologist for glasses and he dilate my eyes for the back of the eye, at leaving the office : vertigo, dizzy, and next day it go , ok....

stan, when the doctor dilates your pupils for an examination, it lets more light in. Here, they give you funny dark plastic sunglasses to wear afterward.

I've had similar reactions to an eye exam, but they lessened over time and now my reaction is normal.

It sounds like you are still somewhat light-sensitive. Perhaps wearing sunglasses more often, maybe even the amber glasses when you're working at the computer?

I became hypersensitive to light and sound myself after withdrawal. It has mostly gone away, but too much bright light (like the computer) at night definitely keeps me from sleeping.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks, i wear already dark glasses, but will change because when it is a little dark i see practically nothing, it is too dark,

but it is not this who give me vertigo, it is the product to dilate eyes who apparently gave me vertigo the next day(my vision is abnormal since the product of dilating)

i will see tomorrow if still vertigo/dizzy,

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

• 2 months later...

Hi soso

our central nervous system is hypersensitive to everything and food comes into this as well. I would love to just be able to eat anything and everything, my senstitivity stops me being able to eat out and this really does get me down,

read the article on anxiety, it says about even vitamins causing problems and this must be why food is a problem

poodlebell

• 2 months later...

This is a good question. I've been off everything but benzos since Feb 2010, so 20 months, and I seem really sensitive still. Maybe less so with some things but then more so with other things. My goal has been to eat sensibly and try to let my body heal. I keep interrupting this because my body continues to revolt. So I've tried some diets and things. But I am so sensitive.

I have much anger. They did this to me and left me to figure it out. I maybe could do this, I've got a lot of help online, but I am so mentally fugged up that I can't make sense of it. I am too confused and drugged. I get drugged by beets. I get drugged by a drop of b12 and also a pinch of flax seeds. Fish broths are my opiates. Magnesium is my barbituate. Digestive enzymes are my amphetamine. And valium and klonopin are my benzodiazepines.

My friend has cancer, had surgery on thursday. She'll be okay. Nobody did that to her and nobody asked her to figure it out herself.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I believe there are many serotonin receptors in the GI tract which could be part of the cause.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 months later...

Whilst i agree that our nervous system becomes hypersensitive during withdrawl.How long can it take for this to rectify ?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• Administrator

squirrel, I combined your new topic with our other topics on hypersensitivity.

I can say my own hypersensitivity has decreased.

- I am now no longer hypersensitive to sound. For me, this took perhaps a year.

- My light sensitivity decreased greatly, but being on the computer past 8 p.m. still affects my sleep (too much light at the wrong time of day).

- I don't have dizziness when standing for some time anymore. I can handle crowded stores (for a while, then I feel overloaded).

- My heat sensitivity has diminished greatly.

- I can eat just about anything now. I am no longer hypersensitive to some foods. My digestion and bowel movements (previously diarrhea-like) have become normal.

I still am careful about herbal tea; I drink very weak tea. Various supplements don't have a noticeable effect -- except for B vitamins, they're still too strong.

- I haven't tried caffeine yet -- I used to love a nice strong cuppa tea every day -- I'm afraid it will affect my sleep. But I am eating a little chocolate now and then, not too late in the day, and enjoying it. It used to be too stimulating for me.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Stan,

Im sorry to hear your hypersensitivity issues, i have them too, for me light is worse than noise at the moment, although have to say,

its not quite as intense as when i first got off, but none the less its still there.

Hang on in there Stan, im sure there will be improvement in that area quite soon.

Glade to hear that there has been some improvement in other areas though, that gives me great hope.

Thank you

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Thanks Alto . many things have improved but its just oh so slow.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• Administrator

I know, squirrel. Still, your nervous system is repairing itself, that's something to be thankful for.

How about updating your topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/81-squirrels-story/page__p__173__hl__squirrel__fromsearch__1#entry173

• Moderator Emeritus

improving in waves...?

It's been more like being on a dilapidated old roller coaster for me - wild ups and downs and lots of jolts. The hypersensitivity is very hard to endure. Mine has gotten better over the past two months (I got off Lexapro completely December 14th after a four month taper), but not by a whole lot. Noises and bright lights bother me the most, but the food sensitivities can also wreak havoc. I was sick to my stomach most of this morning (the second time this week and it's only Wednesday), and I have no idea what set it off. Shopping is difficult, especially if there are noisy little kids around or grating muzak in the store.

All I can say is cope with it as best you can and remember that it does get better. I now carry earplugs in my purse and try to avoid busy times at stores. I adjust the computer screen so there isn't much contrast between the natural light that comes in and the screen, and shut it down around eight in the evening. Use every little trick you can find!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I think I'm probably less sensitive than most, but I do have some pretty uncomfortable reactions to certain things. I especially notice a really weird reaction to drinking even small amounts of alcohol. My dad is always trying to get me to drink a 1/2 glass of wine when we go out for dinner, and sometimes I do and just feel so strange afterwards. Like a fire-in-the-veins, fuzzy uncomfortable feeling. Chocolate can do it as well if I overdo it. Forget caffeine. And yet, the month I was doing well, all of this subsided and I was even drinking tea and eating chocolate regularly (the alcohol was still a bit bizarre).

My sensitivity to stimuli has improved a great deal, but I can still be pretty sensitive to sounds and images. I have to be careful to shield myself. I think what bothers me most is sensations, songs, memories, impressions, getting "stuck" in my head. I can listen to a song once and then it comes back to haunt me in rote repetition, especially when I wake up in the morning.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to offer a reminder about being mindful of sensitivity.

Recently my mother offered me a digestive enzyme she takes saying it worked really well for fat digestion. I tried one and felt ok. I took her supplement with most large meals for 5 straight days. Then things went really wrong.

Rather than being a digestive enzyme (containing pancreatic enzymes) it was a Standard Process brand multi-blend supplement called A-F Betafood.

I never examined the bottle. I finally did after developing weird symptoms and was shocked to find no pancreatic enzymses but over 20 various ingredients.

My gonads have shrunk and my testosterone has dropped. I developed more crap symptoms consistent with endocrine-type disorders. Sex function taken monster step backwards. I last shaved on Wednesday. I really do not need to shave yet (it's Sunday night). My sex ability had been definitely improving and it is now possibly the worst ever.

The thing of it is ... when I develop symptoms from an adverse reaction due to my hypersensitivity nobody can help me. I've seen a urologist and an MD and neither knows of an explanation. The MD at least says be cautious with supps next time.

Usually when something goes wrong, it eventually corrects but not always. I developed relfux disease and its not gone away, but just moved down several places in triage calculations. Hope I get back to where I was.

The lesson, for anyone highly sensitive, chcek your labels... start with fractional doses... be careful...

Alex

PS - I can't be certain it was this A-F Betafood supp. There is no way to know. The lesson's the same though

- Zimmerman

hello...thought I'd add to this thread on hypersensitivity.

I just happened to read an old post on my blog on (my hypersentivity) from a couple of years ago. It was way worse then, and yet, now it's still bad and being that language doesn't really allow for subtlety or nuance when we're talking about nasty withdrawal crap, everything I say in this post is still true...it's just less intense...

some of this really changes very very slowly.

I guess in a few years, if the changes keep going that I'll be free of it...(I hope!!)

I have friends for which it took 5 plus years.

I'm only at 2 years off.

anyway, here is the post...it might be helpful to some people...it includes comments from other boards as well:

Extreme sensitivity to noise, touch, movement, commotion etc…(brief personal update)

http://beyondmeds.com/2010/04/27/extreme-sensitivity/

it's from two years ago...really everything is greatly diminished, but the sad fact is it was so bad that I still can't really get out of the house most of the time...

and now I wouldn't call it agoraphobia at all...I'm not scared of anything about going out...my body simply feels like it's being assaulted one way or another most of the time.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

When I tapered off Lexapro I spent a bundle of supplements all hoping they would ease WD.

Most of them affected my stomach. The B's caused anxiety. Recently I've tried Clams Forte and I thought it worked somewhat,but it was back stomach issues.

I've taken Propanolol and it had a rebounding depression.

Right now the only supplement I am taking is Probiotics which is good for me. Nothing else for now. It is actually a relief not to want to run out and buy something else just ot let it sit in the cabinet or refrigerator.

I just remembered Aloe Vera Gel works wonders for me to settle my stomach.

The biggest sensitivity for me is all and other drugs, particularly antibiotics. I am a wreck when on them. Anesthesia is a big one. Prednisone a no-no for me. Makes me crazy.

Food....I don't eat Chinese food anymore and Greek food bothers me. Nausea. I have just added Garlic to my list and I am Italian....I am not mentioning this to my mother

She would never understand

Thankd goodness I do not have other sensitivities....wait a minute....perfumes :D

Good to know from members here that these things heal.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

thanks, i wear already dark glasses, but will change because when it is a little dark i see practically nothing, it is too dark,

but it is not this who give me vertigo, it is the product to dilate eyes who apparently gave me vertigo the next day(my vision is abnormal since the product of dilating)

i will see tomorrow if still vertigo/dizzy,

Hey Stan I just now saw this. My daughter gets this too and she's not on psych meds or in withdrawal. Just sensitive to the stuff for some reason.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

hello...thought I'd add to this thread on hypersensitivity.

I just happened to read an old post on my blog on (my hypersentivity) from a couple of years ago. It was way worse then, and yet, now it's still bad and being that language doesn't really allow for subtlety or nuance when we're talking about nasty withdrawal crap, everything I say in this post is still true...it's just less intense...

some of this really changes very very slowly.

I guess in a few years, if the changes keep going that I'll be free of it...(I hope!!)

I have friends for which it took 5 plus years.

I'm only at 2 years off.

anyway, here is the post...it might be helpful to some people...it includes comments from other boards as well:

Extreme sensitivity to noise, touch, movement, commotion etc…(brief personal update)

http://beyondmeds.com/2010/04/27/extreme-sensitivity/

it's from two years ago...really everything is greatly diminished, but the sad fact is it was so bad that I still can't really get out of the house most of the time...

and now I wouldn't call it agoraphobia at all...I'm not scared of anything about going out...my body simply feels like it's being assaulted one way or another most of the time.

hey G good to see ya! And VERY glad of your gradual too-slow-but-still-happening improvement.

Bob Whitaker was in Portland last night and I was just too sick to drive the 85 miles and deal with driving and parking in downtown Portland to go see him. :-( I hate it when I miss stuff I really want to do like that.

Well, it is what it is. At least I can get out of the house and I'm still managing to hold down my job. Fortunately it's just 2 miles away and I scuttle from the house to the car, from the car to the lab, from the lab to the car, from the car to the house.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

Something has changed dramatically. Anxiety has gone through the roof. Friday was an extreme nightmare. Anxiety and agitation was so high that I was in the E.R.

Saturday was better, i was coping ok

Now suddenly Sunday my body is in overdrive as it was on Friday but this time is seems to be reacting specifically to, yes sound light movement. It is very dramatic and completely debilitating.

Is this a windows waves pattern or is my body just settling in to a new way of being. I don't know if this is doable long term.

Please any input would be helpful.

• Administrator

Nickie, where are you in your menstrual cycle? Has anything else changed?

Hang in there Nickie.

I've had to go to the ER a few months ago as well. In my case, I had recently changes a couple of things which had major effects on me. So, like Alto said, try to reflect on what you may have been doing differently. For me that's usually food, drugs, stress, sleep, supplements, herbs, exercise, sun exposure, over exertion and stress.

I think you will be okay, Nickie.

Alex

- Zimmerman

I have suddenly become extremely hypersensitive to movement and sound. I went out today, and just being out was incredibly difficult and my body felt like it was going crazy all the time so now I'm wondering if there are windows and waves with respect to hypersensitivity as well as to other symptoms?

Any input appreciated please.

Nickie, where are you in your menstrual cycle? Has anything else changed?

My period just came today. Could this be causing the sudden extreme anxiety and shift in symptoms?

• Administrator

You betcha.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been going through what can only be described as hell for the last two weeks. I can't go into it now because I am very traumatized, but my body basically went crazy three weeks ago and I didn't think I was going to make it through.

My question, however, is this:

My body has become EXTREMELY hypersensitive to neuroactive substances as I've mentioned. I know this will take years to sort itself out, if it ever does completely. Will I have lots of symptoms that whole time, or can I get to a point where I have few symptoms as long as I stay away from meds etc.

After what Ive been through these last few weeks, I am terrified.

thank you for your input

• Administrator

I have found hypersensitivity to diminish.

I merged some of our hypersensitivity topics so we can see how others have experienced it.

So my hypersensitivity to movement and light etc really just started up now. It was insanely intense a couple of weeks ago, but isn't much better, and I find being around my children to be often difficult.

I just drove for the first time in 3 weeks and my body is not happy at all. Does this mean I'm doomed to not be able to leave my house really for months and months? I'm really scared. please help

Nickie,

You're not doomed, I promise. I'd recommend you don't worry about the time table so much. But FYI, I went through a lot of the same sensitivities and I wasn't housebound for months and months.

My hypersensitivity is greatly diminished. A year ago I tried to take some b12, sublingual drops and couldnt tolerate a single drop (dose = 30). I had burning skin & lips, headaches, reactions to the television, computer, other symptoms. That single drop knocked me into bed for a couple days.

Anyway, a week later i decide to try a diluted drop of b12. I took one drop in a shot glass, added 10 drops of spring water with a clean dropper, stirred... Then I took one drop of that (so about 1/300th) of the dose on the bottle. And I reacted to that!

That was almost exactly one year ago.

Today I get b12 injections with no issue. I still have sensitivities but the improvement is profound.

Hang in there.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned light. This was a big problem for me as well. The blue blocking shades really helped. Even regular sunglasses helped. And I kept out of the sun.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Nickie, symptoms come in waves, with windows in between.

Are you wearing dark glasses outside? You may be light-sensitive.

Whatever happens, do your best to stay calm. Getting upset makes symptoms worse.

thank you alex and alto!

so I could be in a particularly bad wave of hypersensitivity which could diminish into a window, maybe returning again some other time? sorry, I'm just trying to make sense of all of this.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy