SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Post-withdrawal nervous system hypersensitivity, hyper-reactivity and kindling

stan

At 2.5 years after a benzo rapid taper (6 weeks) and 1 year off Lexapro, I am extremely sensitive to certain foods (cow's milk), excitotoxins (e.g., aspartame, all forms of MSG), and chemicals in the air (e.g., "off gassing" of carpets, industrial cleaners). Exposure to these causes me severe neurological and other symptoms (blurred/distorted vision, balance problems, other sensory distortions, nausea, muscle rigidity, anxiety). I was on benzos for 6 years (2 withdrawals), and on and off antidepressants for 15 years (many CT withdrawals and one final taper). I also binge drank quite often and pretty much "withdrew" at the end of the weekend for many years.

In reading about all of my symptoms, the GABA/glutamate relationship, etc., it definitely seems that I've undergone CNS kindling and changes in my nervous system. My life has been hell since the rapid benzo withdrawal in July 2012. From what I've read, it seems that my multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS) is due to kindling that occurred from the withdrawal and changes in my nervous system operations, which may be permanent.

I've read that protracted benzo withdrawal syndrome and AD withdrawal syndrome get better over time. Is that the case when people have kindling and develop MCS? From what I've read about MCS, it gets worse over time, rather than better. So, which is it? 

I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to halt the progression of MCS and to reverse kindling? Most of the info I read about kindling discusses epilepsy and bipolar mania, rather than drug withdrawal. I'm wondering about the use of anticonvulsants to "reset" the nervous system and get them to begin functioning properly again. I've seen some statements in passing, anecdotes really, but nothing detailed, with regard to this. 

The more I read, the more scared I get about what's happened and may continue to happen in my brain and nerves. I'm terrified of glutamate toxicity and the potential of developing Alzheimer's, among many other possibilities, including becoming even more chemically sensitive. The information about calcium and ion channels is just overwhelming and I'd love to have someone explain, in layman's terms, what is likely to have happened in my body and what may be the best course of action to regain my health. I have been vehemently against pharmaceuticals (still am, really) ever since this happened. But I'm even more against having unmitigated toxicity creating even more damage. If there's any way to get the nervous system to stop poisoning itself, if that is what is happening every time I walk into a room with plastics/chemicals off gassing, or accidentally ingest cow's milk or MSG. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rainy--

I developed MCS during the years I was on the meds and it got worse during withdrawal. I've had some improvement during my taper. The thing that's helped me the most has been the whole idea of limbic retraining. Have you looked into that? A lot of people are getting significant improvement with that. In fact what really got me started was that the woman who ran the Canary Report website went through the Gupta program and basically her MCS went away.

I haven't done it full out but I've used the tools and it's definitely brought me some improvement, especially as long as I keep practicing it. I still have trouble with fragrances and some other volatiles, but it's way less than it used to be.

Have you read The Brain That Changes Itself? Good book.

I won't go into it more here (mostly because I have to go to work now) but if you Google "limbic retraining MCS" I think you'll find a lot of stuff on that.

Good luck to ya!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

What is MCS?

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Rhi, thank you for the info. I actually bought the Dynamic Neural Retraining System DVDs, but have not started that. I think it's based on the same premise as the Gupta limbic retraining. I'm glad to hear that it gave you some improvement. I gave my DVDs and books to my mind-body therapist to study, so I'll ask to get them back and actually start the program. I've also read The Brain that Changes Itself -- very good book. I think about neuroplasticity frequently when I hear the words "permanent" with regard to kindling and GABA/Glutamate neuroadaptations. For kindling due to medication and alcohol withdrawal, all the studies make it sound as if the neuroplasticity only works one way - to forever alter GABA/glutamate and NMDA functioning. I keep asking myself, if our systems are plastic enough to change for the worse while taking the meds, why aren't the plastic enough to change back once we stop taking them? Especially, if we spent more years without taking the meds than we did taking them? It seems that the body would "remember" the old way of doing things and be able to adjust back to the pre-med days. I guess there's not currently enough conclusive research to pinpoint everything that's happened/continues to happen in our bodies as a result of withdrawal, and it might differ depending on the exact medication(s) we were on as well as our genetic makeup. 

Chicken - MCS is "multiple chemical sensitivities"

I developed a sensitivity to chemicals while on horrid Lexapro. A trip to Home Depot would make me so ill. I don't have it anymore and what I'm going to tell you changed that will sound suspect to you.

I was prescribed a constitutional homeopathic remedy by a knowledgable, classically trained homeopath. It took us 6 months to find my match but when we did I not only eliminated a multitude of symptoms but was able to withdraw without terrible hardship. (Post withdrawal syndrome is another story..)Chemical sensitivities appear to be gone. Food sensitivities didn't change and have gotten worse in protracted withdrawal but I have hope that working with my naturopath in clearing out yeast and rebuilding the good bacteria and sealing the lining in my gut will help greatly.

Homeopathy has been revelatory in supporting my and my children's health.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Thanks, greentrain. Homeopathy does not sound suspect to me at all. I saw a homeopath a few times during the early stages of my benzo withdrawal. Unfortunately, because I had essentially CT'd, I was so symptomatic that I couldn't tolerate anything he gave me at that time and I was too fearful to try anything for long. The ones I remember we tried were aconite, argentum nitricum, and ignitia amara. I've been considering going back to him now that my symptoms have lessened enough that I'm no longer making daily trips to the ER. I'm wondering if homeopathy could help with PSSD too. I didn't have the sensitivities until about 6 months after I withdrew from benzos. They don't seem to have worsened after withdrawing from Lexapro.

I believe that a lot of my healing occurred when I went on disability and did the GAPS diet for about 6 months. I got to feeling better and wanted my old life back - started eating whatever I wanted (besides cow's milk, MSG, and aspartame), and now I'm more sensitive and symptomatic again.

I guess it's time to go back to the strict diet and try neural retraining.  

• Administrator

merged similar topics.

Avoiding a stimulus for kindling tends to reduce the tendency for the hyper-reaction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi rainy,

I've learned that homeopathy will be most effective when you are confident that your body isn't reflecting symptoms of chemical withdrawal but is back to its constitutional nature. I tried chasing withdrawal symptoms with homeopathy over the summer and it just was useless because my symptoms were changing by the day and what really needed to happen was that my body needed to (and continues to) remodel itself after vast damage from the SSRI. I was also too sensitive to even the most gentle dosing methods and I was 'proving' out remedies that weren't an exact fit. 

Be sure you find a really knowledgable, classically trained homeopath that is willing to enter into a partnership with you. It can take time for the homeopath to understand your constitutional nature and do the research to pick a good remedy for you. It may take several remedies tries. You may have multiple layers to work through as well. Homeopaths are using Skype to interview clients more and more now so you don't have to be limited to your geographic area. I am forever grateful to our homeopath as I know this withdrawal would have been even rougher without the work I did with her for 6 months before I began tapering. 

Everything can be healed. :)

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

• 1 year later...

Correct, Nadia, kindling also means a small stimulus setting off a big reaction in a hypersensitive nervous system.

Would this explain why withdrawal symptoms for some may be delayed for say 1-2 years.

Everything appears to be ok but the impaired cns is lying quiet slowly repairing unnoticed and then say an external situational stressor occurs triggering withdrawal symptoms or 'kindling'

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increased sensitivity to medications and/or side effects from medications since stopping their SSRI. I'm 9 months out from stopping Prozac and have experienced sensitivity or side effects from medications such as Zyrtec and Claritin. I have taken both medications prior to taking the Prozac without and side effects. Now I have marked brain fog and drowsiness as a side effect. I've also noticed that after having a glass of wine or a beer I can feel the effect of it as if I've had 2-3 drinks, get much more lightheaded and woozy. I should also note that I am still having daily dizziness and/or lightheadedness since stopping the Prozac. TIA for the replies.

Moderator note: Please also see our discussion about antibiotic drugs:

Cipro, Levquin, Azithrymycin, Z-pack and other antibiotics

Edited by scallywag
added moderator note

Prozac 9/2015-1/2016 - Caused depression. Withdrawal symptoms - joint pain, fatigue, off balance, blurred vision, perceptual disturbances. 1 month taper.

Sam-E 1/2016- 3/2016 - Withdrawal symptoms - pins and needles in face, arms, hands, legs, feet. Joint pain and muscle twitching. Depersonalization. Brain fog and severe cognitive thinking issues(reversing the spelling of words), slowed reaction time. Hallucinations from the sides of my eyes, blurred vision. Feeling like I'm going to fall off a cliff. Fatigue, flu- like symptoms, Brain shivers. 3 week taper.

Had Brain MRI 4/5/16- Completely Normal

• Moderator Emeritus

Jenk - both Zyrtec and Claritin are antihistamines and have an effect on your CNS (central nervous system). Alcohol acts on your nervous system too. Because your fast taper from Prozac sensitized your CNS, it's not surprising that you respond strongly to neuroactive substances. I don't know if this sensitivity will persist over time, but it would be wise to be cautious about these substances:  for example, start with ½ doses of an antihistamine to see if you get the desired response and fewer side effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have this symptom, before of SSRIs I tolerated any drug, now any drug  gives me an adverse reaction.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

Thanks Scallywag for the reply!

Same for me Chuck83. I've had reactions to protein pump inhibitors, i.e. Prilosec, Protonix(anaphalaxis) and dexilant. I got lightheaded and racing heart on claritin. and Caffeine is way too stimulating now :(

Prozac 9/2015-1/2016 - Caused depression. Withdrawal symptoms - joint pain, fatigue, off balance, blurred vision, perceptual disturbances. 1 month taper.

Sam-E 1/2016- 3/2016 - Withdrawal symptoms - pins and needles in face, arms, hands, legs, feet. Joint pain and muscle twitching. Depersonalization. Brain fog and severe cognitive thinking issues(reversing the spelling of words), slowed reaction time. Hallucinations from the sides of my eyes, blurred vision. Feeling like I'm going to fall off a cliff. Fatigue, flu- like symptoms, Brain shivers. 3 week taper.

Had Brain MRI 4/5/16- Completely Normal

• 4 months later...

Correct, Nadia, kindling also means a small stimulus setting off a big reaction in a hypersensitive nervous system.

Would this explain why withdrawal symptoms for some may be delayed for say 1-2 years.

Everything appears to be ok but the impaired cns is lying quiet slowly repairing unnoticed and then say an external situational stressor occurs triggering withdrawal symptoms or 'kindling'

Is it true that PAWS can be delayed by years after stopping SSRI meds?  Similarly, if someone were to go through PAWS and emerge without any problems, would a minor trigger cause the whole process to start over months or years later?

various SSRI for years

20 mg Lyrica 2010

30 mg to 0 mg Prozac 2012

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 2012

Drop to 19 mg Prozac 2013

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 1 month later (2013)

Gradual decrease of Prozac dosage starting in late summer of 2015, currently at 11.2 mg/day

use of vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium at various times

I think a kindling is not a delayed WD. It happens quickly and disastrous. I was kindled badly from reinstating. I know someone who was also kindled even though he was still taking the medication.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask is it normal in a too fast withdrawal to have sensitivity to all medications and supplements? I am reacting to everything and get severe chest and lung pain after taking anything and I am frightened incase it never goes away. I'm worried incase I take an infection and need an antibiotic as my body will reject and my doctors have never heard of it. My doctors don't believe protracted withdrawal exists!

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

Yes it is normal Bluebird unfortunately. I am a year in and it does get better. I can take certain antibiotics not in the quinolone family. I also can take anesthesia but no opiates. I am still cautious about taking anything. I worry also like you do. It is a challenge to make doctors understand. They look at you like you are crazy. There are some great links in this site about medications people were able to tolerate and has been my guide. Everyone is different though but so far it has worked for me. Bless you dear!

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

Yes! Antibiotics are a big no no really ramp up my symptoms. I used too take anti histamines year round for my asthma but takeing now makes me very ill. I remember taking one of the older anti histamines 6 months ago too help my sleep and zonk me out which it did but felt out of it the next day, the left side of my body felt numb.

Food sensitivities, the reactions are milder now, I really need too do a process of elimination too rule everything out but the big ones are anything high in omega 3, or vitamin C. Things like cod liver oil, grass fed butter or just too much dairy overstimulates me. Maybe this is a histamine issue? I got into juicing in hopes of it helping my asthma but had too pack that in as it also ramped up symptoms. Sounds ridiculous, but eating more then four oranges or eating things like raw kale really space me out. I get light senseitive, and get a strange numbness/nerve pain? In my stomach.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

Thank you Weasel and Cookson, this is truely awful and if I'd known what I was going to go through I think I would have stayed on the Prozac and put up with the suffering Inwas having as this is horrific.

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

I am really desperate here, I had to take a tablet yesterday for indigestion and was really unwell the whole day. I had nausea that I cldnt eat, retching, severe headache, weakness throughout body and breathing issues aswell as an awful depression that came over me. Is there anyway of correcting this? Will this ever sort itself out?

I'm going to my acupuncturist today and she is going to speak to me about histamine incase this is a problem

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you read this before you go:  Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have been having acupuncture for 6weeks now and feel it helps but after my last session I had hwadache and depression so I will speak to her today and tell her no stimulating. Is it good for calming?

• 2 weeks later...

Jenk I was in Prozac for 18yrs and I have extreme sensitivity to meds and now foods. It is horrific and Prozac seems to be the only one I hear of causing this. I am 9months out and feel it is getting worse. I'm very angry as I was left on a drug for 18yrs and then taken off rapidly by my doctor and my nervous system went in to shock and I'm still very ill.

I was on ZOLOFT for 15 years and after about 10 years I started reacting to other medications and supplements, but of course everything was blamed except the a/d. One GP told me that I had only a certain number of enzymes in my liver to help absorb these things and that I had used all mine up, so that it was like overdosing! (Or some such crap)

I am two years out from going cold turkey, still very sick and cannot tolerate ANY meds or supplements, not even a low dose of paracetamol, I cannot rub fungal cream or cold sore cream onto my skin, foods finally not too bad.

A (very bad swear word) nightmare, that's for sure!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 32 years, given AD for this condition alone in 2000

Zoloft 100mg for 15 years, last five of these complained about adverse effects,

unable to tolerate other meds even supplements

Slowly felt sicker, advised by different Dr maybe on ads for too long

Cut back 100 - 50 over 6 months, still getting worse, so stopped over about 6 weeks starting Dec 2014

First month, slow, emotional, useless then POW! Horrendous withdrawal symptoms, completely non-functional

for about five months, slowly started to come back to life and continue with waves and windows, still more bad than good, but bads are less bad, and goods slightly better each time

Cherry47, so good to chat to someone that is going through this. I started having reactions about a year before I came of the Prozac and know that it was being on it so long that has caused this. Very difficult trying to get a doctor to listen. Others I know say it settles in time and that when can is out of balance it makes things worse. I'm having food sensitivity aswell, it's all very difficult. Take care

Hi,

Possible solution to food sensitivities:

For me, 2 years ago I started Paxil and the Paxil triggered hives / urticaria and angeodema over about 80% of my body. They were red hard 3D welts which turned white when scratched. These hives moved from place to place. At the same time I developed severe overnight stomach pain that I originally believed was acid reflux. I was unsuccessfully put on 6 different anihistamines at once ( benedryl children's dye free, hydroxyzine should be non flavored) claritin, singular (made me more depressed), allegra, Zyrtec / Xyzal and a ppi? Type tagament? But the hives, and angeodema continued. My allergist apparently sees this 3-4 x per year with various drugs, usally SSRIs causing hives, angeodema and anaphylaxis. He wanted me off the 20 mg Paxil immediately but a jump from 15mg to 12.5mg caused me to become accutely suicidal. For the first time in my life I made a plan and thought that it was a good idea. So since I couldn't stop for the last 15 months or so I have been tapering off Paxil. Now from 20mg on 0.375mg and still reacting with tears and anxiety to each and every taper.

It turned out that I suddenly have a salisylate sensitivity so severe that only cutting out all high salicylate food and body products even my toothpaste I am able to be hive and antihistamine free,

The diet is Failsafe diet out of Australia.

Read Chamomile tea

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1406

Try to eliminate everything for about two weeks and then try to desensitize.

Cherry47

I was on ZOLOFT for 15 years and after about 10 years I started reacting to other medications and supplements, but of course everything was blamed except the a/d. One GP told me that I had only a certain number of enzymes in my liver to help absorb these things and that I had used all mine up, so that it was like overdosing! (Or some such crap)

I am two years out from going cold turkey, still very sick and cannot tolerate ANY meds or supplements, not even a low dose of paracetamol, I cannot rub fungal cream or cold sore cream onto my skin, foods finally not too bad.

A (very bad swear word) nightmare, that's for sure!

. Cherry47 Can I ask what your symptoms are when you take medications or supplements? I start to feel unwell after a few hours I get tightness in throat, feel ill through throughout body, weakness, nausea, sore lungs and awful pain just below rib gage and in liver area and then pain in lower tummy area. Thanks

Jenk I was in Prozac for 18yrs and I have extreme sensitivity to meds and now foods. It is horrific and Prozac seems to be the only one I hear of causing this. I am 9months out and feel it is getting worse. I'm very angry as I was left on a drug for 18yrs and then taken off rapidly by my doctor and my nervous system went in to shock and I'm still very ill.

I also have extreme sensitivity to both food and meds.  I was on Prozac and Elavil and benzos.  If I eat something it can start symptoms like burning pain down my back and arms or inner trembling. Same for any medications I used to tolerate.

prescribed Prozac for Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1995

switched to Paxil in 1998, Elavil was added

switched to Effexor in 2004

tried to get off Paxil in 2001 - could not

tried to get off Effexor in 2007 - could not

was on Prozac and Elavil from 2008 to 2015

thought i withdrew from Prozac and Elavil without too much agony

now realized that although I tapered....I am having horrible symptoms

thinking about reinstating as I write this....

Have you seen any improvement? How long have you been totally off meds?

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if I could ask, for those who are hypersensitive to medications, herbs, and supplements now, what exactly are your symptoms, and secondly, which drug did you withdraw from?

It seems like I am reading a higher correlation of hypersensitivity to supplements, etc. for people who were on Prozac, though I know it can be a problem for any type of antidepressant. I also haven’t seen many people who seem to share my specific symptoms of hypersensitivity such as extreme itching, hives, rashes, head and ear pain and pressure, chest tightness, lung pain, puffy face, etc. I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there with similar symptoms?

Thanks for any responses; any information is greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry you are having all the terrible symptoms!

I have every single one you listed plus tons others. Ever since my system is sensitized by dose changes of Lexapro multiple time, I can't take anything except for fish oil.

When did those symptoms start for you?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Does anyone know if these reactions settle with time? I was on Prozac for a long time and have been really unwell with the sensitivity problem.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am highly sensitive but am getting better. I don't try many things because of reactions in the past. Any mew supplement needs to be tried at a very very low dose to test for reactions. I started curcumin 2 weeks ago and it has made a big difference, I feel much better and niot as sluggish and 'foggy', so hopefully the sensitivities are improving. Itching, hives, chest tightness  and puffy face are not good, maybe you should have some allergy tests done to test for true allergy rather than intolerance. 

I think it is common when psychiatric drugs are taken, and haven't noticed that prozac leads to more people having sensitivities. I think when you tell people that you can't take drugs or supplements becaiuse of prozac, there will be others who say they are also the same after taking prozac. It is the same for all the other drugs, people relate to each others experiences. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy