☼ squirrel's story

squirrel

Did not really want to post this but not good. lately my balance issues have got worse , been diagnosed with uncompensated labyrinthitus although I do not think this is correct as my balance went haywire after I stopped the drug and has not been right since.I am also experiencing bad headaches, head pressure, nausea and feel generally unwell.had bloods done and they are all normal yet my weight is still falling.sorry to be so negative but really can't see a light at the moment.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hi squirrel.

I'm sorry your balance has gotten worse.

There are some tricks I do for nausea, but I doubt it was ever as severe for me as what you're facing. I'll mention them just in case they're helpful.

"sea bands" - stretchy bands you wear on your wrist with a bead that presses an acupressure point. Wear them about 3 fingers up your arm from the line where your wrist meets your hand, with the bead resting between the two tendons of your wrist.

Ginger is also supposed to help settle your stomach. If you can tolerate candied ginger... do they have Ginger Ale in the UK?

My real point: I'm wishing you well and pulling for you. Hang in there.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

Thanks Ajay. Yes we do have ginger ale here.I will try the wristbands thanks for the tip.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

squirrel, I don't know if it'll help, since the nausea is probably created by the dizziness. So it's treating a symptom, not the cause. But I figure if it has a chance of giving you some kind of relief, it's worth a shot.

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

• Administrator

Anything you can do to reduce symptoms is good -- it gives your nervous system some relief, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Squirrel,

I'm not familiar with Paxil but sorry to hear you are suffering so much!!

I can relate to the anxiety, slow, deep breaths can help calm you as you reassure yourself you are o.k. and whatever else you want to tell yourself to feel better. I actually talk to myself, I don't care where I am. You say just say it in your mind it's all about what works for you!

I'm looking into different healing meditations right now, so many it's hard to narrow down.

I really wish you wellness and inner peace.

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

Just been away for a few days with my hubby. nice little break.I was finding it very hard to walk around town feeling so disorientated and off balance.Just being amongst all the people etc made me feel quite anxious, spaced out and dizzy.i am so fed up, I am trying to do all the normal stuff and just feel awful!

I'm sorry squirrel...

i send you thoughts of calm and healing.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

squirrel, you had a nice little break -- what did you do?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

we went sight seeing but was very hard for me.

I am sorry to read this and it makes me scared. I pray for further healing and recovery for you and all of us!

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

makes me scared too. all this time and feeling like this still.

I'm thinking of you squirrel. And I hope you can continue to do normal stuff, even though it's hard. I wish you hope and healing.

I was your average mum who worried about her family as we all do. I started having panic attacks when I had to wait in a queue and hey presto now I am a virtual basket case because of a/d's .

HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain and your frustration. I started meds in 1997 and just discontinued almost a month ago. It just doesn't seem fair that some people, like us, who are mostly great people suffer from these debilitating problems. Doctors try to take care of the symptoms you are experiencing in the moment and I guess ADs do that.. I know when I started them I was only 18, but I knew I was so fed up with the pain and inability to live my life that I welcomed them. I really believe alot of this is learning about ourselves- no two people are alike, but it's amazing how much relief we feel when we talk to someone who has taken this road and made it!

Extreme fear of death since I can remember/ severe anxiety as a child/ first panic at 10 which lasted about two months and reoccurred three years later and again four years later with each episode lasting months/ started paxil in 1997, switched to zoloft around 2002 then to effexor in 2004 for a month then to lexapro which I remained on until three weeks ago. Last dose taken three weeks ago. Just beginning to experience reoccurring anxiety , OCD and depression.P

I was your average mum who worried about her family as we all do. I started having panic attacks when I had to wait in a queue and hey presto now I am a virtual basket case because of a/d's .

HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Squirrel.

I understand completely Your need to vent from time to time.

Never a day passes when i don't kick Myself for falling for the doctors lies and criminal deception, that led us to this.

I know Your going through a really hard time right now, I have just gone through a horrible set back that lasted about 9 months but i am seeing some improvement again at last..

Hang in there... This wave Your in now will pass... I know it feels like it will never end when Your in the thick of it... but it will...

Enjoyed the chat last week.. look forward to catching up again soon.... Druid....

thanks Druid I enjoyed our chat too. This wave is horrible and relentless I hope it ends soon.

Oh why is this taking so long !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even conceive of it... I'm not even 9 months in and I'm desperate for relief. I do hope you've at least experienced some improvement!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I feel totally out of sync my head is fuzzy my balance is off never feel completly still. everything seems loud and bright and unfamiliar. had this such a long time now can anyone relate to this?

Absolutely i can, i never feel completely still or at ease ever, noiuse and lights affect me too, and everything feels really weird.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• Administrator

squirrel, it sounds like you might be light-sensitive. Are you doing anything to reduce the amount of light stimulation?

alex was wearing sunglasses indoors.

• Administrator

squirrel, I moved your post here because it seems more like a general update -- or existential question!

never really thought about that will try the sunglasses. Thank you

Funny but I am always better at night so Alto you may be right.

given that this withdrawl journey is supposed to be that the gaps between the bad days get longer can anyone explain why I am not having any gaps just bad days.

Things to do while waiting for the "good" days:

1. Help someone who needs a few minutes of your help.

2. Light exercise... walking, etc.

3. Eat a small amount of something you really enjoy.

4. Change channels.

5. Meditate.

6. Watch something silly on TV.

7. Be grateful for something.

8. Make chocolate pudding.

9. Pet or perhaps get an animal you love.

10. Write what you are experiencing in a journal.

11. Call someone and tell them you love them.

12. Suggest things to someone on SA who is having a difficult time.

13. Watch "Charlie (2 years old) Bit Me", on UTube.

Have to run... will add more later...

Charter Member 2011

hello Squirrel and Summer,

as i feel as Squirrel, i will try some Summer's advices in her list, maybe it will work for me too

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Been having a really bad time lately no let up in symptoms balance really bad which in itself is enough to bring you down, but combined with jittery/anxiety, my head feeling like its full of lead.i am struggling to ever see a light at the end of this 6 year tunnel. Had bloods done again all ok, but my weight is still falling.My doc is at a loss of what to do and so am I. this is all frightening me now and my resolve is getting very low.

I can understand how difficult this must be for you. I don't know a whole lot about protracted withdrawal, but I do know that you will get better, even tho you don't think so this very moment.

Sending positive energy your way.

Charter Member 2011

For me getting out and having a walk is a huge benefit .I always feel much better after , it clears the head with the benefit of getting healthy.

courage my dear Squirrel, try to be busy with other things to forget all this

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I do try Stan but things have been so different lately getting no decent times.

i have had small bouts of this over the years but this is getting to be a pretty regular occurence when all of a sudden this feeling of crushing fatigue comes over me and I have no energy whatsoever can last for hours.Anyone else have this?

Yes... I've had the type of fatigue you describe. However, in my case, it was due to sleep apnea. Good idea to eliminate this, if you haven't already.

Charter Member 2011

no not got sleep apnea.