☼ squirrel's story

squirrel

Yes I have had this periodically, doc thought it was M.E. at one time and sent me for psychological assessment. I refused to accept the diagnosis as I felt there was more going on. I have periods of hyper activity and then I will have the crushing fatigue which you describe. My doc says it is the overactive thyroid but I have always felt like this and it's been there since withdrawal and not just when my thyroid went into overdrive. I cant even say its related to not sleeping either as the fatigue periods are very random. It will get better, I can walk further now and last year, I could hardly walk a few yards but now I can walk 2 miles, so hang in there, it will rebalance eventually. :mellow:

Yep, I can relate to this one.

I used to get it on occasion before I went on the ADs too, although it's been way worse since I've been on them, it seems to turn up in about week 3 after drop down in dosage (it was regular while I was on the higher dosage).

I usually get it when I've been quite anxious and then the anxiety drops off.

In my case I wonder if it's got anything to do with cortisol levels - I think that as my cortisol levels bounce up and down I get the heavy fatigue and it may be worse when there been a big change like going from very anxious to not that anxious over a couple of days.

I'm not sure how to improve it, it just seems to lift after time, but in my case I know what can make it worse, if I don't rest up for a bit when I first get it, but just push on through it seems to get worse. Sometimes distraction with something I find really interesting seems to help to.

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

For the last 2 nights I have been woken up with anxiety.

1st night it was dreadful palpitations, heart beating out of my chest that woke me.

2 nd night it was adrenaline rushes waking me throughout the night. Never had this before anyone had it?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

hi Squirrel,

these mornings i wake up and have a kind of anxiety trembling, and to be better i have to stand and after an hour it diminish;

many say they have morning anxiety

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hi Stan, Yeah I have often had the morning stuff but never through the night.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Hi Squirrel

Yeah I have had this in withdrawal, never before.

In earlier withdrawal, I used to get the morning stuff and I got it in the night too. Or other times my heart would be beating weirdly before I went to sleep.

Now, the morning stuff has gone. I occasionally get adrenaline rushes, more mildly during the night. It’s usually if I am concerned or stressed about something.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

For the last 2 nights I have been woken up with anxiety.

1st night it was dreadful palpitations, heart beating out of my chest that woke me.

2 nd night it was adrenaline rushes waking me throughout the night. Never had this before anyone had it?

Hi Squirrel,

I experienced this during withdrawal.

A tip from a former co-worker helped.

Lie on your right side as long as you can stand it. There is a reason for this which I can't remember but doing so helped considerably.

I hope you feel better.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

well folks after battling for 6.5 years this thing has got me beat. i am suffering from chronic fatigue not sleepy tired but physical exhaustion, my legs don't feel strong enough to hold me up. I have extreme inner trembling and I cannot get warm.I feel like I have run out of fuel I can hardly get out recently as I just feel too tired and weak.Whatever has kept me going all this time has vanished.

Only ever had they odd day of it and no nothing has helped.

Hello Squirrel,

i will reach the 4year mark in Nov. and I feel exactly the same.I m very weak,always cold ,severe muscle pain and

so exhausted.There were better times in between,but at the moment I think i m back to square one.

I also lose hope...

hugs ,solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hi Squirrel

Sorry to hear this. It does make a lot of sense that you would feel like this as when we were are exhausted physically, I think we feel like we haven’t got any energy to fight. 6.5 years is a long time to be fighting as well. I know I have often felt like I wanted to give up and just didn’t want to feel like sh** anymore.

I hope this fatigue is a short phase and that it passes quickly for you.

It’s just an idea, but I wonder if it could be blood sugar related? As I think SSRI’s can cause blood sugar disruption.

Take care Squirrel, sorry you are going through this.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

dear Squirrel,

you suffer since a while, i will be 2,5 years soon, and suffer too, with time it have to lessen, to improve...

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

Hi Squirrel,

So sorry to hear you are so exhausted.

Are you able at all to have a complete rest for a couple of days? or if possible a bit longer than that.

Ideally getting someone else to cook, clean etc so you can just recharge? Can a friend or family member help at all? Could you stay with someone who will pamper you for a couple of days?

My experience of years of living with a chronic illness, rather than chronic withdrawal, is that just living with day to day symptons, even if they are mild sometimes, can drag you down over time - making you more and more exhausted. I only realised this year that, for me, taking time out to rest and recharge every now and then can really help.

I know it might not be possible to completely rest, but I know when I've had phases of being very exhausted, doing as a little as possible for a couple of days can really help. Yes the washing up and washing piles up a bit, but I find I can get through it when my energy comes back.

Hope you feel at least a little better soon.

Hugs.

Bright.

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

does anyone suffer from what I can only describe as a tingly sensation that moves around the back.it also feels like your clothes are sticking to your skin?

Just an update.this long bad wave shows no sign of abating. symptoms can change very quickly.

balance is awful , swaying, feel like the floor is moving

blurry vision

head pressure

trembling

bouts of crushing fatigue.

tinnitus.

sitting, relax, calm down, looking mild tv shows...it has to pass

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

I keep telling myself that this has to end but it hasn't yet. keep calm, hold on, how long can the human spirit endure this torment!

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, squirrel? I hear from nz you're almost recovered http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-nz11-climbs-onboard/?p=125101!

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...

Hi Squirrel,

How are you doing?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 4 years later...

Hey squirrel.... how are you going? 

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.
  • 1 year later...

Sending you good wishes. 

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron