pepper59

pepper59

• Moderator Emeritus

Every night I would fully expect I was so tired I absolutely would sleep. And I would, for about 5 minutes and then get startled awake by some kind of switch in my subconscious brain. And I'd fall right back asleep. And be awake again. All night long.

You may have already thought of this, but this sounds a little like sleep apnea, have you been tested for it?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's not sleep apnea because I'm sometimes only dosing off when I startle. My sleep doc agrees and will not order a study. I see him next month. Maybe he will change his mind.

started Xanax in 2014 (summer?)

finished trazodone taper in March

started tapering Xanax in March

max dosage was 2mg

down to 1.5mg divided into 4 fairly even doses

trying dividing X into 6 doses

using liquid form of X

Yes, I know this was silly, but I do not have my trazodone in daily pill boxes. I was taking them out of the jar and then writing down when I took them. Well, tonight I got involved in something and completely forgot whether or not I took my trazodone. I just take 20mg at bedtime. Is it better to skip the dose or add an extra dose? I am trying to wean off. I have no idea what to do!

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Do you get a 30 day supply at a time? If so you can count how many pills are still in the bottle and it should say on the label what day you filled the prescription. That way you can figure out if you have an extra pill. That's what I used to do when I couldn't remember if I took my pill or not.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

That would be good, except I don't know what day I actually started this bottle.  :(

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Pepper,

These kinds of things are best kept in your own topic as they do not apply to a general 'symptom' that could be common to everyone. You can use your thread as a journal and ALSO to ask questions and receive advice.

Generally, if you think you have missed a dose it is better to omit taking it and wait until your next scheduled time to take it. When you are tapering you need to set up a system to make sure your doses are accurate and taken at the proper time. Mistakes do happen and can cause setbacks but usually these are temporary.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks. I did set an extra alarm and skipped the dose. I was taking it with another pill at the same time that used the same alarm, but apparently I need two separate alarms for two separate pills.

Ladybug's idea was good, too. Next time I open a bottle, I will write the date opened on it.

Also, I posted this here because I thought missing a dose was perhaps something that people besides me did!

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Feeling better with even-ing out my xanax. Thinking about going back to working part time. I really miss my job. It's a retail job and this is a slow time of year, so I think this may be a good time to try it out part time. My boss says I can come back anytime. 

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I did set an extra alarm and skipped the dose. I was taking it with another pill at the same time that used the same alarm, but apparently I need two separate alarms for two separate pills.

Ladybug's idea was good, too. Next time I open a bottle, I will write the date opened on it.

Also, I posted this here because I thought missing a dose was perhaps something that people besides me did!

I used to use a pill minder.. divided into 7 days for several times a day.  If I miss a dose here or there... if it's by a few hours, and I'm taking the drug 4 times a day, I take the missing dose.  If it is for one time a day, and I miss by 12 hrs... I go without the dose.  While many ADs are taken once a day, some of the shorter acting benzos are taken multiple times.

Glad you continue to feel some improvement, even if it's only modest.  Sure beats going in the opposite direction!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks, Skyler! :)

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Look what I got for Valentine's Day. No, not a fish, a picture of her new fish sent from my daughter in Florida. :lol:

And a very nice card.  :)

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

It is so hard to figure out which symptoms are from which drug?  :(

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you have been improving Pepper, and it's great that you are thinking of going back to work, a huge step forward.  :)

It is hard to know which drug causes which symptom, wish I had the answer for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks, mammaP. Continuing trazdone taper. I'll be so happy when that's gone and then I won't have to wonder. :)

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Glad to hear your doing better, Pepper;)  I just started my split K to 4 times a day as well. Hopefully it will help smooth things out for a future taper.

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, mammaP. Continuing trazdone taper. I'll be so happy when that's gone and then I won't have to wonder. :)

Pepper.. would you put the dose of Xanax in your sig. line please... you just say 4 even doses.  I believe you are taking 1 mg total.. but that got confusing a couple of weeks back.  Thanks

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Glad to hear your doing better, Pepper;)  I just started my split K to 4 times a day as well. Hopefully it will help smooth things out for a future taper.

Thanks, Drummer. Hope it goes well for you.

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Pepper.. would you put the dose of Xanax in your sig. line please... you just say 4 even doses.  I believe you are taking 1 mg total.. but that got confusing a couple of weeks back.  Thanks

Sorry. I tried to simply my signature and just realized I missed a line. Added it in. It should make sense now.

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

How's this for paranoid? I'm even lower on my trazodone now and doing OK, but afraid to add it to my signature because I think I'll jinx myself.  :P

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

How's this for paranoid? I'm even lower on my trazodone now and doing OK, but afraid to add it to my signature because I think I'll jinx myself. :P

I think that is pretty common. I act the same way.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks, Wildflower.  :)

I had some encounters with a toxic person today and yesterday and am feeling wobbly today. Hope it was just Miss Toxic and not my tapering that did this.  :unsure: Guess I'll know soon enough.

Or, maybe not, depends if Miss toxic leaves me alone.  :P 

I told her politely to shove off, but she doesn't hear what she doesn't want to hear. Sigh.

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

Feeling wobbly. 

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

I was wondering, when you make a cut, do you wait until all of your withdrawal symptoms are better before you cut again? Or do you wait until they're tolerable? How do you decide?

I am now at 10mg trazodone at bedtime. How big a cut is safe at this point? I would like to make cuts of one whole milligram per week or two.

Thanks.

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

• Administrator

Hi, pepper. How long do your withdrawal symptoms last after a cut?

Usually, you want to wait until you have no withdrawal symptoms before you make another cut.

If you've had withdrawal symptoms for a long time through several cuts, it might be a good idea to hold for a while at 10mg until your nervous system settles down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi pepper ,   try reading "Why Taper by 10%"   in the tapering section - it may answer your questions.

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

My intense withdrawal (extreme anxiety and physical pain) is very short. Sometimes only a few hours. Then I feel a bit weepy for a few days, kind of like going through menopause again. The poor sleep never improves, but that is hard to blame on withdrawal. I was sleeping almost nothing before I took any AD or benzo. I took them to try to get some sleep because my brain was coming apart from lack of sleep. Sleep is still very poor. I woke up 6 times last night and lay awake for awhile. Brain function is poor, too, as a result. I'm clumsy. I lose track of what I'm doing. I lose track of my emails, my posts, my bills. Interestingly, I find that when I don't sleep I lose my appetite. I can't figure that one out. So, it's hard to say whether some things are withdrawal or just sleep deprivation. I think those few really bad hours of pain and anxiety must be withdrawal but most of the other stuff could just be sleep deprivation. I've been going through that for a year now and had all those other symptoms from just being exhausted.

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

I've decided to leave this forum, probably permanently. Thank you to all who have been helpful and who continue to do good work here. Best wishes to you!

Pepper

max dosage was 2mg

using liquid form of X

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey  Pepper ,    where are you at with your symptoms and your sleep?

You may have been in "poop-out" for the past year , and that's what's caused the sleep deprivation.

Do let is know how you're getting on.

Best wishes ,   Fresh   

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg