IhateWesternMeds: Please help me. i need to taper off of last 25 mg of lamictal

IhateWesternMeds

I'm at my wits end. I can't seem to drop below 25 mg of Lamictal without feeling very sick and diving into intense depression/low mood and my brain begins to feel like it's vibrating and I can't handle the slightest issue. I've even tried the pediatric dose of 5mg combined to equal 20 mg so as to help and that was too much. I can't deal with this. Please provide feedback. Please, somebody help me. This medicine makes me feel awful every day when it wears off. Every night I feel sick. Every single night! And, I cannot add an antidepressant or I develop serotonin syndrome, or at least the symptoms if it - which is horrendous ( yes, it's actually worse than my end of daily

day fatigue and flu-like feeling). I feel stuck on this Lamictal!

There has to be a way off of this!

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello  Ihate westernmeds  , welcome to SA.   You've landed in just the right place and will find loads of information on this site.

I'm not sure how lamictal fits in , but there's a comprehensive section on Tapering  that may be helpful. One thread is called "My celexa-lamictal Taper Nightmare".   Others who have experience with this med. will be able to advise you or you can contact them.

Sorry you're in such a rough place.    You're in good company here.

Best wishes   ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

My guess would be that you may be attempting to taper too quickly. There is some good information about tapering here which suggests dropping by 10% of your current dose. If you are cutting 5 mg from 25 mg you are attempting a 20% decrease. It sounds like this may be too fast for your body to adjust.

I'm sure a mod will be along soon to help further. Welcome.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome IHWM,

I'm sorry you've been having problems with reducing Lamictal and as Fresh mentioned, you have come to the right place for help.  When you say you feel sick every night, do you mean nausea? Are you having any other symptoms?

What dose have you tapered from and how have you been tapering so far?  Are you taking any other drugs?

It sounds like you have been reducing too fast.  We generally suggest tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please carefully read through this topic with information specific to tapering off Lamictal:

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Once you get back to us with more details about your drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petunia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you come down to the 25 mg from a higher dose? What was the highest dose you were at, and when were you at that dose, and how fast did you come down to the 25 mg? Are you taking any other meds or supplements?

I've been tapering Lamictal for many years now (along with my other meds) and it's really a bear for me. I taper it 1 mg at a time, but when I get to 25 mg I will probably be tapering by 1/2 mg.

Lamictal's a funny one, some people find it easy to get off, others find it horrific. Gianna Kali of the website Beyond Meds says that her page Lamictal Taper From Hell has gotten more hits than any of her other pages from the day she put it up. (It was searching for Lamictal withdrawal that led me to that page, which actually is what led me to the whole tapering adventure I'm on now).

And unfortunately it doesn't seem to be unusual for people to get to a place where they feel bad when they take it but way worse when they don't. I've been lucky so far with that, but I'm doing an exceptionally slow taper.

If you're going to hang out here, it would be helpful if you could put your psych med history in your sig line, like this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Include other meds you have taken or are taking, and meds you've come off, and how fast. Your past history on pretty much any psych drug has a big impact on how things go down the road with pretty much any psych drug, as it turns out.

I highly recommend looking around the site and reading the topics pinned at the tops of pages and following the links in those topics. We have a huge amount of information and experience here, there's a lot to learn.

Basically, my guess is that you have tapered down too fast and it's catching up with you at the lower doses, which is a big chunk of why you're feeling so crappy right now. (There's a lag time effect with reducing these drugs.) Plus you've been trying to get off that 25 mg too fast, and you've gone up and down on your dose, which causes a destabilizing effect, which just makes us feel even sicker.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and hopefully what we can offer will be what you need.

PS:  HIGHLY recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker, before you talk to your doctor about this or any other psych drug again. Also, check out the website "cepuk.org".

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Welcome, IHWM.

Lamotrigine is sometimes dosed twice a day. This might help you.

Do you still have your 20mg and 5mg tablets? You could gradually move taking the 5mg tablet an hour or two later for a few days until you're taking the doses 12 hours apart.

With a liquid, you can gradually reduce the 20mg dose by 10% or less per month to start, and see how that works for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.