DSN13

PMS and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal and after

Junglechicken
On 1/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, wanttosurvive said:

Hi JC,

Why I am sure??? I am sure becuase this overall inflammation hits almost every organ. when it hits it is characterized by pain and edema. 

For example: my poor stomach is the second mostly affected organ with WD after than the brain. stomach pain is almost constant symptom for me. no drug eases this pain, I have taken and tried every drug. but I am also a gastric surgery survivor. that means my stomach is smaller than the original. so when this pain comes,  my stomach becomes more smaller. I feel it I know it. How? I can barely eat at those times because of constant reflux. but when wave is over and my stomach discomfort eases for sometime, reflux is over. and at those days I can hardly touch my abdominal area, it becomes so tender. it also happens for my other body organs. for example intestine. when I have intestinal pain, bloating, constipation (these are all because of WD, I am sure about it), I can hardly touch the area above my intestinal area. also it is true for ear ache, tooth ache, sinus problems. all these body tissues get inflammated. and the outcomes are pain and edema. 

also your tests are okey....

Best wishes, hugs ❤️

I have to reluctantly agree that my stomach issues gained momentum after my last dose in April.

This is also an issue I’m going to raise with my GP on the 25th Jan.

They were bad after my father died last year, and definitely got worse after my last dose.

The peri-meno issues affect all “systems” of the body too.

Its very difficult I know to live with.

I think my symptoms are the product of a “perfect storm” of situational, hormonal and stress related factors.

Its learning to manage those factors through diet, and general self-care including CBT.

Best wishes and hugs back ❤️

BloombieK

Hello everyone,

I've been on withdrawal journey since last year and it has been really hard, especially due to PMS.  What I have done and has worked for me is a change in diet.  I eat oatmeal everyday like porridge... I've been eating it for about four months now.  A doctor in Spain says it regulares many functions.  You can find his videos on youtube.  His name is Miquel Pros.

I also am eating plantains and sweet potatoes more frequently as they help regulate hormone balance.  I've seen a drastic change in my PMS symptoms to the point that I don't worry anymore about it.  They have lessened by 85% I think.

There is a book on Amazon called "Quit PMS" by Lauren Geertsen.  She's a dietician and the book is very comprehensive on treating hormonal imbalance.  I highly recommend it.

Hope you find your way to hormonal balance even during WD.

wanttosurvive
1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

I have to reluctantly agree that my stomach issues gained momentum after my last dose in April.

This is also an issue I’m going to raise with my GP on the 25th Jan.

They were bad after my father died last year, and definitely got worse after my last dose.

The peri-meno issues affect all “systems” of the body too.

Its very difficult I know to live with.

I think my symptoms are the product of a “perfect storm” of situational, hormonal and stress related factors.

Its learning to manage those factors through diet, and general self-care including CBT.

Best wishes and hugs back ❤️

JC, I am sorry for your father loss. Sometimes life throws us a lot. But what is unfair is that, we have to fight both these unavoidable life events and this brutal disease. But in the end, I believe that we will be stronger than ever....

Take care, 

wanttosurvive
14 minutes ago, BloombieK said:

Hello everyone,

I've been on withdrawal journey since last year and it has been really hard, especially due to PMS.  What I have done and has worked for me is a change in diet.  I eat oatmeal everyday like porridge... I've been eating it for about four months now.  A doctor in Spain says it regulares many functions.  You can find his videos on youtube.  His name is Miquel Pros.

I also am eating plantains and sweet potatoes more frequently as they help regulate hormone balance.  I've seen a drastic change in my PMS symptoms to the point that I don't worry anymore about it.  They have lessened by 85% I think.

There is a book on Amazon called "Quit PMS" by Lauren Geertsen.  She's a dietician and the book is very comprehensive on treating hormonal imbalance.  I highly recommend it.

Hope you find your way to hormonal balance even during WD.

BloombieK, thank you for your suggestions. I will try as soon as possible.

BloombieK
15 minutes ago, wanttosurvive said:

BloombieK, thank you for your suggestions. I will try as soon as possible.

Hope it helps. Would love to hear how it goes for you.  It took a month or so to start seeing changes in me so be patient.

wanttosurvive
8 minutes ago, BloombieK said:

Hope it helps. Would love to hear how it goes for you.  It took a month or so to start seeing changes in me so be patient.

Thank you, I will be.

Junglechicken

Any ladies had the "Mirena coil" fitted?

Did it work out ok for you etc.,?

wildling

Hi all you lovely ladies,

just adding my two cents (althought it might not be anything new..? If this post is unnecessary, please let me know).

I stopped taking birth control pills 2,5 years ago (efter taking them for a good 10 years, yikes!). Shortly after that I started SSRI-medication. Half a year passed and I started to suffer immense period pain. Like so immense, that I almost fainted from the pain and it lasted for hours on end. Also the anxiety levels sky rocketed during periods. Now that I have been suffering with WD-symptoms, time before and during periods is hellish. Few WD symptoms that I suffer the most (dissociation and intrusive existential thoughts) get so much worse during. I feel like I do not exist or that I will disappear. The panicky anxiety and the dreadful pain is also still there.

Some things that have helped me are the grain stuffed pillows that you can heat in the microwave, hot Epsom salt footbaths (or full body baths) with lavender oil, magnesium helps to sleep and grounding root chakra yoga helps to calm the dissociative mind a bit. Also resting and drinking a lot of water and herbal teas. 

I wish you all the best!

Altostrata
On 1/4/2015 at 8:59 PM, Songbird said:

Oh yes, w/d plus hormones interacting, what a mess that makes.  As my dose has got lower I've had a lot of depression and tearfulness, sometimes just feel like crying all day for no real reason.  I've been taking vitex capsules which have really helped a lot.  It can take up to 3 months to feel improvement but I had some improvement after just one month and more in the second month.  When I feel grumpy, irritable, anxious, or tense and wound up (you know that feeling, it is hard to describe), I've found magnesium and vitamin B6 help a lot to take the edge off.  If it is really bad I use valerian tincture, which I find very calming.  Of course, responses to herbs and supplements varies between individuals, just saying what has helped me.

On 1/4/2015 at 9:16 PM, Moonlitelotus said:

For me, chamomile tea is a gift from God. Lol. Especially chamomile, lavender, lemon balm tea. Oh yeah, that takes the edge off too! I forgot to mention herbal teas to help with the exacerbated PMS.

Songbird,

What are vitex capsules and what do they do?

On 1/4/2015 at 9:31 PM, Songbird said:

The herb is vitex agnus-castus, sometimes called chasteberry.  I've just read up a bit more about it and apparently it affects dopamine so I guess we should be very careful with it!  Responses are very individual, it can make things worse for some people.  All I know is, I got to the stage of being depressed and crying for about half of each month, and vitex reduced all that stuff by about 90%.  I suspect I am in perimenopause and that combined with w/d is really doing a number on my hormones.  It's probably not good to be on it long-term and I hope I won't have any kind of dependence issues or w/d when I stop taking it, but for now I feel like it keeps me able to cope instead of being a blithering wreck.

On 1/5/2015 at 12:46 PM, Songbird said:

I heard that evening primrose oil does great things for some people, so it is definitely worth a try.  I've tried it several times, but unfortunately it had no effect on me.

I heard that rhodiola could be quite stimulating so I don't think I'll risk that.  I gave up fish oil years ago, it was okay for a while but then it started to make me feel weirdly restless.

On 5/30/2015 at 4:36 PM, GardeniaBlossom said:

I developed PCOS a couple of years after I started AD & benzos. When it began, I was taking BuSpar and Paxil, if I remember correctly. A few years ago I discovered that the herb Wild Yam helped regulate my period well. Before I stopped the ADs while on Wild Yam, it was regular. However, after I withdrew it became wildly irregular, again. I suspected that I may not need the Wild Yam anymore. So, I recently started to taper off the Wild Yam. My period slowly became more regular, again. I'm only 8 months off ADs & benos and just stopped taking the Wild Yam completely this past month. I have only had one cycle without the Wild Yam, but it was on time.

I'm noticing that during PMS the physicial and psychological withdrawal symptoms I experience increase significantly as well.

Are there any other herbal teas or supplements that you have found reduce symptoms related to your menstrual cycle?

LadyBlonde

Hello,

I have been off Sertraline for 15 months and ever since my last dose my hormones have been out of whack! Immediately after I took the last pill I didn't get my period for a month (after taking some Adrenal supplements it returned). Over the course of the year I have gotten progressively more moody and lethargic with still no signs of a sex drive returning. Along with these, I now have cramps with every period, headaches and a very irregular flow.  The only day I feel slightly better is the first day my cycle begins, after that and for the rest of the month it's just a foggy, tired, slump.

I am wondering if anyone else who has gone off antidepressants  has experienced anything like this? If so, what did you to do balance your hormones and do you feel better?

DaisyBell
On 2/6/2019 at 12:31 PM, Altostrata said:

Are there any other herbal teas or supplements that you have found reduce symptoms related to your menstrual cycle?

With Vitex, when do people take it? Some people suggest you take it for days 17-29 only and others suggest every day starting on day 1 etc. 

any thoughts?

Also how much?