DSN13

PMS and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal

DizzyGirl

I never had problems with PMS before Paxil. After that Paxil mess everything changed.  I turn into Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde and get really aggressive 1 week before my period. I noticed a pattern in my fights with my boyfriend. Around 1 week before my period we had our severe fights and there were several times when I broke up with him, because I thought my feelings has changed.

1-2 days before aunt flow finally arrives my brain fog gets even worse. This is really the vegetable status I like to call ot. I just sit at work, blank faced, try to do my stuff and hope nobody notices,that I am not really "there".

Will it be like this until meno pause? Oh hell.

greentrain

Hi JDM, i'm 7 months off Lexapro and my period didn't show this month. First time ever that Ive missed. Maybe due to Lexapro or a supplement but either way, I can commiserate.

Cdav

Songbird, 

sorry the primrose oil didn't work for you. I'm going to see if this month it makes a difference for me. 

Moonlitelotus,

I'm glad the rhodiola is working for you. I tried it a couple of months ago  but, on the contrary it made my brain zaps worse at night and gave me really vivid and weird dreams, so I stopped it. But as we know, everyone reacts different to everything. 

I think messing with hormones through birth control pill is very dangerous. But I would also recommend everyone to be VERY careful with naturopaths dealing with hormonal imbalances. I went to a naturopath a couple of months ago, he ran some tests, found out my progesterone was low, and gave me "Pregnenolone" which is a natural steroid. I took it and it was a disaster, within 3 days I was extremely aggressive, brain zaps got worse. At least for me, it was not a good experience. I think the problem was that this was a steroid, and as I later found out steroids are very bad idea during WD. 

JDM1984

I also had a lot of problems with missing and late periods because of meds. This has resolved which is good because now I can predict my PMS and try to be more in control. I suppose as time goes by, your period might go back to normal on its own. 

DizzyGirl, 

I can relate 100% with what you describe and the problems with your bf. This started for me 3 years ago after horrible Pristiq WD. I also go into the Dr. Jecyll Mr Hyde mode. I punched my boyfriend several times during these trance-like moments of aggression and complete loss of control. And I had never been aggressive before. We would also fight a lot and break up a lot always during this time of the month. Fortunately, it's not as bad as it once was, and I've learned to notice my thoughts and feelings and I try not to see him during those days. It's hard, I have a hard time even being comfortable with myself during these days, I see everything under a horrible light. But I've learned to know this is an illusion caused by hormones and WD.  I really hope it's not like this until menopause! Like I mentioned before, I'm trying primrose oil, I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Greentrain, 

Sorry about your missing period. I hope everything returns to normal. These drugs can change every single system in our body. It's even harder being a girl. 

Moonlitelotus

Cdav,

Thank you for the heads up about the natural seroid thing. I think I would have been leery about that too. I might have to try primrose oil to help regulate my female hormones as well.

Moonlitelotus

Any of you ladies get sore lymph nodes in the armpits during PMS/withdrawal? Mine did this last month too.

greentrain

Moon, YES! Lymph have been sore for couple months now and now that I missed my period, they don't seem to be bothering as much(?). I thought it was related to die off from adding a tiny of probiotic and the Lexapro leaving my system, but maybe it's related to hormones as well. 

I even bought a mini-rebounder. Be careful on it though - I did 5 minutes on the first day I had it and was wiped out with fatigue the next day presumably from the lymph releasing toxins in the bloodstream. 

I also do yin yoga from youtube and prop my legs against the wall, which seems to help. 

I used to take evening of primrose oil and never knew if it did anything, so I stopped it a couple months ago. Maybe it WAS doing something. LOL. So I'm adding that back in the mix. It doesn't give me any bad reactions so that's a good thing for my hypersensitive body. 

Don't you wish these bodies came with manuals? Sending metta to all of you!

greentrain

Hi guys- 10 days late my period started . It's been a whopper.

I've had a lot of bladder fullness and urgency both before getting it and now on day 4 it is raging again.

Is this a hormonal detox or am I starting a new round of WD symptoms?

For those of you with bladder issues, how long did they last? How do you cope?

Guess I should a UTI test as well.

Any advice?

Skylarblue75

Im right there with all you ladies, im sure im peri-menopausal as well, I know my hormones are out of wack, had them tested. Tried to back on birth control pills-made me crazy, tried bio identical hormones again a no go. God is there no end to this, will we ever be able to take medications again if needed???

Moonlitelotus

Greentrain,

I also was 10 days late and started my period last night. I was peeing a lot more too and have been today as well. For me that is normal and what I've always thought it was, was that my body is releasing the water it was retaining during pms. I always feel skinnier after I pee a lot during this time so I think that is what it is at least for me lol. Maybe you too?

greentrain

That's a good way to look at it, Moon, except for me I've lost so much weight during this withdrawal - 114 lb at 5'6" - that losing anymore is bad and maybe contributing to the late period. :)

I did a UTI check yesterday and it came back negative. Symptoms - urgency, fullness, irritation and some ovary cramping - were miserable yesterday and through the night but seem better so far this am. Urgent care Dr yesterday said once the hormones wash out, things should improve. 

Dr was saddened by my Lexapro experience - she said "You're not to be kept on those drugs for longer than a year or so!" and the nurse said that one of her friends can't get off of hers, was switched to another SSRI and at 25 yrs old expects to be on them the rest of her life. So sad. 

If you're looking for me today, you'll find me on my yoga mat trying to release my poor psoas muscle that is gripping after putting our beloved dog to sleep last week and now these symptoms, and at my acupuncturist's office!  :) Take good care. 

Moonlitelotus

Yeah I'm 24 and I had to reinstate 1mg Lexapro after almost 5 months. I tried switching to Prozac and weaning off and I've tried to get off two times before and it's looking like I'll be taking a low dose probably the rest of my life too. I might try weaning off extremely slowly again eventually but I don't know if even that will work. It is sad.

Cdav

Does anyone get suicidal before and during their periods? I do.

I just had my period this past weekend and it was a nightmare. I don't mind the physical symptoms, the mental symptoms are impossible to bear. I turn into a depressive/maniac monster, screaming, throwing things, seeing everything in an extremely negative way, thinking I don't love my boyfriend anymore, and wanting to die. I don't know if this is still related to withdrawal, or just my hormones are completely out of control. 

I know the tag for this is called PMDD by doctors, and their main course of action is SSRI's or birthcontrol. I can't tolerate any of those. I'm still trying to survive from WD. I don't know what to do. I don't want to add any more supplements because I think I don't tolerate it. But I might try primrose oil again and see what happens. 

This is really hard, I dread this will happen to me next month. 

ang

Hi guys- 10 days late my period started . It's been a whopper.

I've had a lot of bladder fullness and urgency both before getting it and now on day 4 it is raging again.

Is this a hormonal detox or am I starting a new round of WD symptoms?

For those of you with bladder issues, how long did they last? How do you cope?

Guess I should a UTI test as well.

Any advice?

Hi Greentrain.  Before i realised i was in full blown withdrawals, I nearly, very nearly wet the bed. i just couldnt control it.   Now I realise it was WD.  Luckily, that has not happened again.  And when the flu thing hit, I sh*t  my pants, not nice....  these drugs are horrific.     And I dont know if this is helpful, but before menopause, my periods got heavier and heavier, totally unmanageable in volume.  Glad I didn't do anything about it, they just suddenly stopped.  And as I was on effexor, I had horrific night sweats, but I believe the effexor caused them.

Moonlitelotus

Cdav,

I don't get quite as severe pms as it sounds like you do and I'm so sorry you have to go through that. When our estrogen drops to have a period so does our serotonin levels. For women estrogen and serotonin go together hand in hand. I was also going to suggest evening primrose oil. I've heard of some people taking 5-htp just during there pms and periods but that usually is people not in withdrawal. Maybe you can try that sometime when your not in withdrawal and stable. Otherwise try natural coping mechanisms like taking relaxing baths, drinking chamomile tea, meditation, read a book. Do things that make you happy and feel good and get your mind off things. Exercise if you can. Try replacing negative thoughts with good ones. Even if you don't believe the positive thought just replace the negative one anyway. This rewires the brain eventually to think more positive as a habit. It's not easy to create a new habit like this but stick with it and it will happen if you really try. Thoughts are very powerful as you know because look how the negative thoughts get you so down. Positive ones are just as powerful as negative ones. Train your brain to think more positive. Show it who's boss and that you are the one who is in control of your thoughts. I'm working on this one myself but I notice when I get in a positive thinking pattern I feel better. I know it's not easy though. Observe the thought as if you weren't attached to it and think about why you might feel that way and if it is even a rational thought. Then don't fight it just let it go and replace the thought with a positive one. Like if you are thinking "I don't love my boyfriend anymore." Think about 5 reasons you do love about him. Those are some non supplement forms to help with severe pms. Otherwise try the primrose oil as well if you want. I hope things get better for you! :)

ladybug

Does anyone get a POST-menstrual syndrome that is as bad or worse as their Pre-Menstrual Syndrome? I have noticed for a while now that starting at about day 4 of my period I begin to get depression, anxiety/DR, severe fatigue, insomnia, and lots of stomach issues (total loss of appetite, nausea, constant gas and stomach rumbling). I am at day 12 and this last Post-MS was a whopper. I lost about 4-5 pounds, because I have no desire to eat and my stomach is just upset most of the time. I do have some Pre-Menstrual Issues, mostly irritability, mood swings, and insomnia, but I swear it's much worse after my period. It's like it sends me into an instant wave that doesn't let up until about day 16 in my cycle, maybe longer. Am I alone in this? Is it WD or is there something really off with my hormones?

greentrain

Hi ladybug (that's a cute name - I call my daughter ladybug), In withdrawal I happen to get a whopper headache on day 4 or 5. That's new for me. My chinese medicine guy thinks it has to do with blood depletion. Either way, you think you should be out of the woods once you get it but you're not. Bummer. 

I'm on an easy part of the cycle now and enjoying every minute of it! ;)

I have been using a lot of energy medicine holds and tapping in the morning to get my toxic-feeling self out of bed and I really notice a difference so this month I'm trying to add the PMS module to my 5 minute routine. I use this book by Donna Eden and I'm seeing some results. Plus, I like her positive language and 'everything can be healed' approach. 

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Medicine-Women-Aligning-Energies/dp/1585426474/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y5GFYY843ZKVHMZTQ2P

ladybug

Hi ladybug (that's a cute name - I call my daughter ladybug), In withdrawal I happen to get a whopper headache on day 4 or 5. That's new for me. My chinese medicine guy thinks it has to do with blood depletion. Either way, you think you should be out of the woods once you get it but you're not. Bummer. 

I'm on an easy part of the cycle now and enjoying every minute of it! ;)

I have been using a lot of energy medicine holds and tapping in the morning to get my toxic-feeling self out of bed and I really notice a difference so this month I'm trying to add the PMS module to my 5 minute routine. I use this book by Donna Eden and I'm seeing some results. Plus, I like her positive language and 'everything can be healed' approach. 

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Medicine-Women-Aligning-Energies/dp/1585426474/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y5GFYY843ZKVHMZTQ2P

Thank you, Green. Yes, I forgot about the headaches! I usually get them after my period, but this time I only got them before and not after. They last days for me too. I have been wondering if any of this has to do with iron depletion/anemia due to my heavy periods so I am making sure to take my iron supplements every day during this time. Although, I wonder if it makes the stomach issues worse. I forgot to mention I also get heart palpitations and racing heart when I do anything, even get up to go to the bathroom. This is slowly getting better as I move farther away from my period.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I will take a look at it.

Purplestars22

This time of the month that is happening currently has been the worst yet. I have gotten so many wd symptoms that are extremely bothersome. The weird thing is last month I was fine and had no effect on me. I just hope for strength during this hard time and hope this will pass.

ladybug

This time of the month that is happening currently has been the worst yet. I have gotten so many wd symptoms that are extremely bothersome. The weird thing is last month I was fine and had no effect on me. I just hope for strength during this hard time and hope this will pass.

I'm sorry, Purplestars. I get that too, where some month's periods are way worse than others. It will absolutely pass. I hate the hormone rollercoaster.

Cdav

Cdav,

I don't get quite as severe pms as it sounds like you do and I'm so sorry you have to go through that. When our estrogen drops to have a period so does our serotonin levels. For women estrogen and serotonin go together hand in hand. I was also going to suggest evening primrose oil. I've heard of some people taking 5-htp just during there pms and periods but that usually is people not in withdrawal. Maybe you can try that sometime when your not in withdrawal and stable. Otherwise try natural coping mechanisms like taking relaxing baths, drinking chamomile tea, meditation, read a book. Do things that make you happy and feel good and get your mind off things. Exercise if you can. Try replacing negative thoughts with good ones. Even if you don't believe the positive thought just replace the negative one anyway. This rewires the brain eventually to think more positive as a habit. It's not easy to create a new habit like this but stick with it and it will happen if you really try. Thoughts are very powerful as you know because look how the negative thoughts get you so down. Positive ones are just as powerful as negative ones. Train your brain to think more positive. Show it who's boss and that you are the one who is in control of your thoughts. I'm working on this one myself but I notice when I get in a positive thinking pattern I feel better. I know it's not easy though. Observe the thought as if you weren't attached to it and think about why you might feel that way and if it is even a rational thought. Then don't fight it just let it go and replace the thought with a positive one. Like if you are thinking "I don't love my boyfriend anymore." Think about 5 reasons you do love about him. Those are some non supplement forms to help with severe pms. Otherwise try the primrose oil as well if you want. I hope things get better for you! :)

Moonlitelotus, sorry I hadn't replied. I have had a very deep bout of depression that started since my last ovulation, then got worse before my period and continued after it. Until now I'm having a little bit of relief from those emotional symptoms. 

Thank you so much for your advice! It is very very helpful. I'm going to try to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones. I know this is not easy in the midst of the neuro-emotions, but I have to keep trying. Also, your advice about thinking about the things I love about my boyfriend will be really helpful, so I don't fall into the trap of my hormones and recovering brain telling me lies. 

I'm starting primrose oil and see if I can tolerate it and hopefully it will help me on my next cycle. I'm also staring QiGong meditation exercises. I really want to heal. 

Thank you very much for your words. 

Cdav

Does anyone get a POST-menstrual syndrome that is as bad or worse as their Pre-Menstrual Syndrome? I have noticed for a while now that starting at about day 4 of my period I begin to get depression, anxiety/DR, severe fatigue, insomnia, and lots of stomach issues (total loss of appetite, nausea, constant gas and stomach rumbling). I am at day 12 and this last Post-MS was a whopper. I lost about 4-5 pounds, because I have no desire to eat and my stomach is just upset most of the time. I do have some Pre-Menstrual Issues, mostly irritability, mood swings, and insomnia, but I swear it's much worse after my period. It's like it sends me into an instant wave that doesn't let up until about day 16 in my cycle, maybe longer. Am I alone in this? Is it WD or is there something really off with my hormones?

Ladybug, I also get what seems like a Post-Menstrual syndrome. After all the irritability of PMS, then I become extremely depressed and it lasts very very long. I think it is WD and hormones together. Our brains and nervous systems are trying to do their best to recover but then hormones hit and we are too sensitive for those changes, so we are thrown off balance again. 

Cdav

Purplestars22, 

I also get confused because some months it's not too bad and it doesn't last too long. But this last period it was horrible. Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not. We need to encourage each other. I know how terrible it is, and we really need to be strong and use all the resources that we can use. 

I hope your next cycle is better. 

ladybug
Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not.

Yep! It seems like every good window is followed by a worse wave. I know that when it comes to my period it seems like JUST when I am feeling recovered from the last one, it's time for new one. It never ends.

Purplestars22

I'm sorry, Purplestars. I get that too, where some month's periods are way worse than others. It will absolutely pass. I hate the hormone rollercoaster.

Hey ladybug, thanks for your reply yeah pms can be so unpredictable and tough with wd. But we just have to keep moving forward. I wish you the best on your next cycle.

Purplestars22

Purplestars22, 

I also get confused because some months it's not too bad and it doesn't last too long. But this last period it was horrible. Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not. We need to encourage each other. I know how terrible it is, and we really need to be strong and use all the resources that we can use. 

I hope your next cycle is better.

Hello Cdav, I agree and with support of this forum it helps us become more knowledgeable on how to manage the pms symptoms. I also hope for next cycle to be better.

greentrain

Hi Purple, I had a really tough, long cycle last month and this month has been on and off cramps, back pain and bladder urgency/irritation. This is after a year in tapering and withdrawal where each cycle was a lovely 28 days and they were easy. 

The way my recovery has gone is that my body healed the brain symptoms first, then went to the gut, then peripheral nervous system and now I'm assuming that it is working on 'righting' my hormones and bladder. 

I am expecting it to take a few cycles to regulate but I am positive that things will return to normal as our helping progresses. 

Try to keep your blood sugar stable with plenty of good quality fats and protein. Blood sugar regulation is very important to hormone health. For people in our state, eating every 3 hours or so is probably most helpful. 

Purplestars22

Greentrain,

Hopefully on your next cycle it's more manageable for you. For me it's not the physical symptoms that I get rather emotional and psychological. Thanks for your recommendations and will apply them since nutrition is directly correlated to how the hormones and body performs. My cycle/hormones is out of balanced the average day I get my cycle is 37 days instead of 28.

greentrain

The mental stuff is worse I'm sure. The most mental I get is vivid dreams and mood swings. I had the strongest cravings today for chocolate EVER. I didn't give in, tho. Props for me!! ;)

I've read that vit c, and emmenagogue herbs, like parsley, yarrow and rosemary can help bring on a late period. Maybe add a few into your rotation. They're very good for your health in general.

Dee1100

I just joined this forum in order to get some support as I am having a horrific time. I'm 24, almost 25 and was prescribed Luvox in 2008 for depression/anxiety. I started to taper in August 2014. During this time I've experienced all the usual withdrawal symptoms like nausea, headaches, anxiety, crying spells etc etc - all to be expected I guess!

However being a female I've seemed to had developed a myriad of hormonal problems including menstrual irregularities, severe PMS and my ob/gyn diagnosed me with PCOS in Nov 2014. I opted not to take anything for it it's almost as if I don't want to start supplementing with hormones until I'm done with my taper and allowed my body to recover and heal.

So my question is has any women experienced issues with their mentrual cycle whilst withdrawing?

Swedishgirl

Hi Dee! I'm 26. I just want to tell you that in my opinion PCO is, just like so many "mental diseases", waaaaaayy overly diagnosed. I have many friends that's been diagnosed with PCO by one doctor, and then a year later have met another doctor that's told them they don't have PCO. Whenever a woman has menstrual- or hormone problems, or just have gained weight and seeking advice for how to lose it, the doctors are too lazy and uninterested to find out what's wrong (or not wrong) with the women so they just say: "you have PCO take this hormones and you'll probably always be overweight since you have PCO". But, this is of course my personal opinion and I'm sure the situation shiftes from country to country.

However, yes, I've had a crazy menstrual cycle because of Prozac. I'm now two years off my adverse reaction to Prozac though, and now my menstrual cycle is pretty much back to normal.

I think our diet effect or hormones a lot, so before taking new meds I think you should read up on PCO's and what diet can help with it. Once again tough I don't think you should trust your doctor too much.

Take care and good luck with everything on your journey!

Zztoppin

Hi, I have not had a period on 2.5 months and the one before that was very light and had spotting month before.  I am not pregnant. Can panic attacks and more xanax than usual cause this? I was weaning and reinstating over the past several months.  My gyn said give it another month, but being a ocd worrier it is hard for me to let this lay. 

greentrain

As always, I jinxed myself! Got my period on time this month - day 27 - yesterday. Yeah!! But spent the night up with an ugly emotional soup of mostly horrible fear and of course cramps, back pain, etc.

I'm just trying to be grateful that the timing was good and the bladder irritation of the past month and half didn't act up before it began.

How are you all holding up? I keep you all in my wishes for healing.

Moonlitelotus

Doing alright. I've been really emotional lately and crying a lot but I am pmsing again too. :/ hope you are feeling better greentrain!

Addax

Yes, it happened to me during a particularly bad period of withdrawal. It came back after I reinstated and stabilized. Prior to this episode of amenorrhea my cycles had been like clockwork. Withdrawal and the whole stress response can really do a number on us, our hormones, and our bodies.