DSN13

PMS and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal

btdt

My periods were very heavy and long then became too long while taking effexor.. I learned I had an ovarian cyst (something listed as a side effect of effexor) had that removed it did not slow or stop my periods they continued as normal.  I was put on a hemophilac drug.. which I did not use much as it made me feel unwell.  This all took a couple of years.  

A few months before I quit effexor my period just stopped. I think 2 months then I quit cold turkey and my periods never returned.  I think I was too young for menopause based on what is the norm in my family however I cannot be sure.  I have read reports of Effexor causing early menopause but not that many so I think it rare again I can't know for sure. 

When I look up the norm for menopause I was under the normal age according to google. 

LexAnger

Googling findings below.

Changes and irregularities in the menstrual cycle have occurred in women taking antidepressants. Fluoxetine, venlafaxine and bupropion have been implicated in menorrhagia---heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. Women taking bupropion report experiencing shortened menstrual cycle, menstrual spotting or amenorrhea---absence of menstruation. The precise connection between vaginal bleeding and antidepressants is unknown, but theories suggest fluctuation and modulation of hormones are responsible. Serotonin may affect the menstrual cycle by stimulating secretion of specific hormones, according to a 2002 paper on Venlafaxine-Associated Vaginal Bleeding written by professor Sunny A. Linnebur, Pharm.D., of the University of Colorado School of Pharmacy.

Infrequent, uncommon side effects for sertraline or Zoloft are menstrual disorder; dysmenorrheal or severe uterine pain; intermenstrual bleeding; vaginal hemorrhage; amenorrhea or absence of menstruation; leucorrhea or abnormal vaginal discharge; and rarely, menorrhagia or heavy bleeding.

Reproductive or menstrual-related side effects of escitalopram or Lexapro are infrequent and may include menstrual cramps, menstrual disorder, menorrhagia or heavy bleeding, spotting between periods and pelvic inflammation.

Dee1100

Hi, I am also experiencing some strange things with my period. It's comforting knowing others are also experiencing similar things! Like you, I am also an ocd worrier and ever since beginning my withdrawal off Luvox in September 2014 I've developed severe health anxiety.

Over the last 3-4 months my periods have become irregular and much lighter. I'm also experiencing spotting which I never use to have. I'm terrified of what's going on and think something is very wrong with my body but I try to remind myself that SSRI's are endocrine disrupters and withdrawing off them (I've been on mine for almost 8 years!) will affect my hormones. I'm only 25 so it's not like I'm going through perimenopause.

Dee1100

May I add that I experience more cramping and pelvic pain since withdrawing. I have never had this before. Only time I had cramping was the first day of my period.

Emotional stress, so in your case panic attacks, can definitely affect your menstrual cycle. And remember that withdrawing or changing doses (either up or down) is another stress on your body but on a physiological level.

302zoloft

Since I began reducing the sertraline in November 2014, I noticed my periods disappeared, then when I was told to stop the sertraline I started getting a period in the mornings but not throughout the day. Yesterday and today are the first full days of what I can call a period and I reinstated last Tuesday so assume my body has been out of whack and now one of the signs reinstating is helping.

Muddles

Mine stopped for a few months and have now come back with evengance! I also have acne which I have never had in my life - never even a spot through puberty. I guess our hormones are out of whack...just like everything else.

btdt

My periods were very heavy and long then became too long while taking effexor.. I learned I had an ovarian cyst (something listed as a side effect of effexor) had that removed it did not slow or stop my periods they continued as normal.  I was put on a hemophilac drug.. which I did not use much as it made me feel unwell.  This all took a couple of years.  

A few months before I quit effexor my period just stopped. I think 2 months then I quit cold turkey and my periods never returned.  I think I was too young for menopause based on what is the norm in my family however I cannot be sure.  I have read reports of Effexor causing early menopause but not that many so I think it rare again I can't know for sure. 

When I look up the norm for menopause I was under the normal age according to google. 

Since my first issue was excessive bleeding I had a period more than I did not have it for 2 years... during that time I was taking effexor 150mg and celexa 40 mg.. I was taking both of these when I had the ovarian cysts too.  

This is about ssri induced bleeding - and a few other things. 

"In addition, people taking a combination of drugs that raise the level of serotonin in the body can develop a disorder called serotonin syndrome. The most common causes are taking an SSRI at the same time as a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor or a triptan migraine drug (for example, frovatriptan [Frova], rizatriptan [Maxalt], sumatriptan [imitrex], and others). The syndrome is characterized by altered mental status, neuromuscular abnormalities, and dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, which controls involuntary reflexes that affect breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, and the digestive tract. Tricyclic antidepressants may also contribute to serotonin syndrome.

SSRIs can increase the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, particularly when taken with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, according to a recent Danish study. This increased risk of bleeding means blood is less likely to clot, an effect that may be beneficial to certain people at risk for heart attacks and ischemic strokes —conditions caused by blood clotting. Another study found that depressed heart patients treated with the SSRI Zoloft showed significant reductions in the level of clotting factors in their blood, compared with those receiving a placebo. However, in people already taking an anticoagulant to prevent or treat blood clots, an SSRI may increase the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, according to a recent study.

A recent Canadian study found that SSRIs may increase the risk of fractures in older adults, possibly by compromising bone quality and strength as well as by increasing the chance of falling."

http://www.healthcommunities.com/depression/selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors-ssris_jhmwp.shtml

This is from a search on effexor and I believe it to be true of ssri and snri... changes in the platlets in our blood cause it not to clot as is could or should 

"

• Effexor Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com
    www.drugs.com › Drugs A to Z › Effexor
    •  
    •  

Learn about the potential side effects of Effexor (venlafaxine). ... High blood pressure; lack or loss of strength; severe headache; sweating .... cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events by increasing platelet activity in susceptible patients."

Just so you are all aware.. and know what to look up it is a platelet issue that causes the bleeding the same .. year I had the ovary removed I had a gastro bleed... shortly after - a few months after I quit celexa... I thought it was making me sick... dizzy headaches and no I did not ask if I could quit just told the doc after I quit... I went down by half for awhile then stopped it ... 

I took effexor for 2-3 more years after quitting celexa

slianne

Yes!  I missed 3 months!  After many pregnancy tests, I gave up and made a doctors appointment.  My *lady doctor* tried to convince me that because I'm overweight it HAD to be PCOS. She wanted to hear nothing of the possibility that it was related to the stress of withdrawal or the withdrawal itself.  I'm currently late for this period, but my body is still experiencing a lot of stress and I'm struggling with a wave here at the 3 month mark.

I'm saddened that my doctor wouldn't give the withdrawal option a thought and immediately blamed my problems on something else. I'm sorry that other people are experiencing problems, but boy does it make me feel better to have my belief get a bit of validation. 

**edit to add this**

As Dee1100 said she had, I've also been experiencing really intense/odd cramping/pelvic pain--mine's hasn't been followed by or accompanying a period, but it has been around the time that I should be having my period. 

dekiru

I missed my periods for almost a year. In that time I was waking up with panic attack every morning and unable to eat much. My weight dropped and my periods stopped completely.

My weight is a bit better now, and the daily waking with panic attacks has stopped and I've had my periods for about a year now. However, like Dee1100, I'm also experiencing cramping/pelvic pain both accompanying and following my period. It scares me and I wish it would stop.

ang

All this makes so much sense now.  I was on effexor 150 for 8 years, during that time, before menopause, my periods were horrifically heavy, now I get the connection.   Now i have given up AD 9 months ago, my hormones are all out of whack, and not sure if I want HRT, to correct them.  Any advice?  I want something that may help, rather than go back on SSRIs  (poisons, but worse than that, brain benders), but dont want to replace them with yet another addictive thing, when maybe the problem could correct itself.  but i am suffering, got to do something. advice, very appreciated.

Cdav

I don't know what to do with this horrible PMS. As if WD syndrome wasn't enough, I think I fit into the clinical term of PMDD. Primrose oil is not helping, neither exercise, nor yoga, nothing… Already broke up with bf. Feeling so much emotional pain. 

Prestorb

I have also found both physical and emotional PMS symptoms to be significantly more severe in WD. There is definitely a link between the two. Has anyone found any remedies that help? I have just started taking an herbal supplement by PMS Comfort that I had stopped taking with my rapid taper in February. I will let you know if it seems to help, unless it makes too irritable and I have to stop taking it. Sigh.

GardeniaBlossom

I developed PCOS a couple of years after I started AD & benzos. When it began, I was taking BuSpar and Paxil, if I remember correctly. A few years ago I discovered that the herb Wild Yam helped regulate my period well. Before I stopped the ADs while on Wild Yam, it was regular. However, after I withdrew it became wildly irregular, again. I suspected that I may not need the Wild Yam anymore. So, I recently started to taper off the Wild Yam. My period slowly became more regular, again. I'm only 8 months off ADs & benos and just stopped taking the Wild Yam completely this past month. I have only had one cycle without the Wild Yam, but it was on time.

I'm noticing that during PMS the physicial and psychological withdrawal symptoms I experience increase significantly as well.

btdt

I was reading and posting about birth control today and read that they are made out of yams.. or they use to be so maybe your getting some hormones from the yams... food is so interesting once we start to learn about it... I read the same thing about lentils once they do something to hormones can't recall what... birth control pills is an interesting subject if you did a search on here you would likely find it... I can't recall the name of the thread just now.  

peace 

chicken

I'm still tapering and I had a constant menstrual period for 4 months. GBN says that stress can cause this and it's very common.

Wanted to put me on birth control pills.

No more pharma for me.

Researched and found a pineapple and lemon juice mix for my problem.

Has helped tremedously and also provided other benefits that I was not expecting.

I have increased energy now that I'm juicing. The bleeding hasn't completely stopped but I've had many days of no bleeding which is good. The days I do bleed it is not heavy. So the juice is doing something.

So yes, I believe withdrawing can cause a lot of menstrual imbalances or maybe it's the stress of withdrawing that causes it. Either way it's a bummer.

btdt

I'm still tapering and I had a constant menstrual period for 4 months. GBN says that stress can cause this and it's very common.

No more pharma for me.

Has helped tremedously and also provided other benefits that I was not expecting.

I have increased energy now that I'm juicing. The bleeding hasn't completely stopped but I've had many days of no bleeding which is good. The days I do bleed it is not heavy. So the juice is doing something.

So yes, I believe withdrawing can cause a lot of menstrual imbalances or maybe it's the stress of withdrawing that causes it. Either way it's a bummer.

Could you say a bit more about juice please.. where did you find the idea if you don't have a link how about a recipe?  :) thanks.

chicken

No more pharma for me.

Could you say a bit more about juice please.. where did you find the idea if you don't have a link how about a recipe?   :) thanks.

I have it posted here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9242-changing-my-ph-level-this-has-worked-wonders-for-me/

Aliwill

Same same same. If I drop too quickly my periods are all over the place. Not too heavy but every 18-19 days or so. This is when I start to feel bad too. If I hold until my periods regulate I find that my other symptoms go. This is usually the indicator for me that my body is settling down. I was diagnosed with PMDD by doc but it's definitely a withdrawal symptom for me as it settles with all the other symptoms.

Aliwill

Same same same. If I drop too quickly my periods are all over the place. Not too heavy but every 18-19 days or so. This is when I start to feel bad too. If I hold until my periods regulate I find that my other symptoms go. This is usually the indicator for me that my body is settling down. I was diagnosed with PMDD by doc but it's definitely a withdrawal symptom for me as it settles with all the other symptoms.

Hangingon

Anyone experience a constant ache /tingling type vibration in the uterus from wd?

It started about 8 weeks ago, new symptom or? (or at least that's when I noticed it)

Was taking lots of inositol which I've decreased some as maybe it can cause cramping?

WiggleIt

Yep. Had it constantly for months, like the muscles in there were constantly fluttering. Now it appears occasionally, maybe once a month.

NoMeaning25

Strange. I had this too for a very very long time every single day. It happens now and then but not constant anymore.

carmencuper

I just joined this forum in order to get some support as I am having a horrific time. I'm 24, almost 25 and was prescribed Luvox in 2008 for depression/anxiety. I started to taper in August 2014. During this time I've experienced all the usual withdrawal symptoms like nausea, headaches, anxiety, crying spells etc etc - all to be expected I guess!

However being a female I've seemed to had developed a myriad of hormonal problems including menstrual irregularities, severe PMS and my ob/gyn diagnosed me with PCOS in Nov 2014. I opted not to take anything for it it's almost as if I don't want to start supplementing with hormones until I'm done with my taper and allowed my body to recover and heal.

So my question is has any women experienced issues with their mentrual cycle whilst withdrawing?

Yes, I haven't got my periods for about 3 months last year, this was really difficult time for me, stomach pain, and leg pain then I consulted with my gynaec she gave some medications, and recommended to do regular exercises. See irregular menstrual cycles and long lasting cycles for about 7 or 10 days both are serious issues which should not be neglected. Regular excercises can help in regular menstruation and also helps in reducing menstrual pains. Try this you will see the result, with the help of coupe menstruelle you can do your workouts even during menstruation.

buggedout

I take an estrogen-free BC pill (due to the regular pills causing me migraines) and although this particular pill does not regulate my period, my period has been quite regular for at least the last year or two. Before that, it was light and every few months and I had not considered it may have been because of the Effexor.

Anyways, my point is that with my most recent (10%) dose reduction just three days ago, I woke up this morning with a heavy period. This is NOT normal for me since my period only ended about a week ago.

I've never in my life had periods so close together, and I am very concerned. I don't know how long it's going to last, but am quite certain it must be due to my dose reduction. My initial reduction was only 3.3% so that's probably why my cycle wasn't affected then.

Just crossing my fingers that my cycle has merely re-adjusted itself and it's not something that's going to last me weeks or months. The cramps are too painful. I may consider a lesser reduction next time if I'm going to bleed every time I reduce.

What a pain. Other than that, I am not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms other than minor headaches. And that could just be my allergies.

Colonial

Hello everyone,

Just reposting my PMS cycle story here.  Good to see i wasn't alone. This was the first time in my withdrawal in having such a hard time with this to the point of wanting to die:

Have any of the women noticed that their menstrual cycle restarted or aggravated withdrawal symptoms? I don't know if I'm just having a withdrawal wave or if I'm starting a completely new major depressive episode again.

I had starting feeling better again about Sept. 18th. Most of the rough symptoms from the last Wellbutrin drop had evened out and I was feeling mostly normal, just minor left over symptoms.  Things were ok for about 10 days.  Then starting the 28th I started feeling worse. My period started on the 30th and is just about over but the past 3 days have been hell. I've been having the awful nightmares again for 5 nights. Muscle aches are awful, I cant eat and I'm having those awful emotional mood swings I haven't had in 20 years.  I can't think.

I don't know if the Paxil was actually doing more than I thought it was, and now that I've been below therapeutic levels for 4 months it's coming back to bite me or if it's just a nasty round of a withdrawal window, even though I didn't drop anything.

It doesn't make sense, I had the bad reaction to the last Wellbutrin withdrawal, but things evened out and I had a pretty good 10 days, now all of a sudden, I get my period, which normally doesn't affect me, and I'm feeling so bad all day for 3 days again i just want to die again. 

Has anyone else's menstrual cycle set off an episode like this during the withdrawal process?  If I call the doctor tomorrow all He's gonna say is to go back up to therapeutic levels of Paxil which if I have to then I have if I'm starting another major episode but it would be a shame if that's not the issue. 

Cdav

Hi Colonial, 

I had HORRIBLE PMS symptoms during withdrawal (which improved with ECT since 2 months ago). Never experienced that kind of symptoms before withdrawal. I've also read that as we get older, PMS symptoms can get worse, so I'm not really sure if it was withdrawal or my age (33 years old), but I am sure it was more WD than anything else. 

I also wanted to die during PMS, got hysterical, punched my boyfriend, got irrational, had screaming fits, cried all day long, sometimes even self-harmed. Physical symptoms of withdrawal would also aggravate, like headaches, brain zaps and muscle twitching. 

Since my withdrawal symptoms improved two months ago, my last PMS was not too bad, just got very depressed, but not as bad as before and I didn't have the aggression/irritability I used to. I think right now I'm PMSing (Not sure, since my hormones were affected and moved my cycle because of ECT), but I think I am, because I have the physical symptoms: tender breasts, bloated, a little bit more emotional and cranky. I hope it stays at this level, this is tolerable.

I am taking primrose oil, I think it might be helping, I'll let you know. Exercising daily also helps a lot! 

You are not alone, PMS is HELL during withdrawal. 

Colonial

Hi Cdav!

Thanks for your story!  I'm glad you are all here!  Well you were all right, it doesn't seem to be the beginning of another Depressive Episode.  But the Withdrawal symptoms are still raging on.  But this was a longer period for me, and it's soon after a 55% dosage drop in my Wellbutrin, and the last time I dropped my Wellbutrin in half I started getting my period every 3 weeks for about 3 - 4 months.  So I'm hopeful now that I've been on the same Wellbutrin dose a full 4 weeks that maybe this will settle down soon.  This was the first time that WD symptoms started without a med drop. :angry:

Cdav

Colonial, I'm sorry your WD symptoms started out of nowhere. I hope your period normalises and you feel better. 

My PMS right now is not the worst I've had, but the emotional symptoms certainly have been escalating. I've been feeling very angry, sad and insecure and having a lot of relationship problems that I thought were things we had solved by now. No physical WD symptoms, though, so I think this is just very bad PMS which I think I will never escape from until menopause, perhaps :( 

Colonial

HI Cdav!  Sorry your still not feeling well.  good thing we have each other. :)   Its weird how it can be so different from month to month.

Colonial

Can anyone tell me what they mean by "Pelvic Pain" during or right after their period?

My period started the 1st and I had been having cramps everyday so far. The past 3 nights I'm having pain deeper in my abdomen.  It's not severe enough to go to the ER but its enough that I can't fall asleep.  I can't lie straight on my back. I don't know if it's just muscle contraction from having cramps for 2 weeks or something else.  

Obviously this would be closer to around my ovulation time and not my period but what was wondering if this has happened to others and what was meant by "Pelvic Pain".  Thank you.

Colonial

It's a cyst.  At least I have one in the area.  I had to go to the Doctor anyway today and he sent me over to the imaging center ASAP and the CAT scan showed negative for diverticulitis but showed a cyst.  He said it may be bursting.  He said if it happens again when I'm ovulating next month to see the gyno.  My mother said She used to get something like this:  Mittelschmerz.  But this has been 3 full nights and all day today now.  After the period from Hell.  Well atleast the test showed something.

Has anyone else experienced  cysts or Mittelschmerts that started during WD?  It's a normal occurance per se, but I was wondering if the Hormonal changes induced from WD raises the percentage chance of we women experiencing this.  Again, another issue I never experienced before the final stages of my withdrawal.

Thanks everyone.

Cdav

Colonial, 

Sorry about the cyst. At least you know now what was causing your terrible period, and it can be fixed. 

I didn't get a cyst. I doubt it is withdrawal, but I'm not really sure. What I do know is PMS is worse since withdrawal, mine was bad again this time. At first it seemed it was not too bad, but as the day of my period approached I got more and more irritable, it caused a lot or problems. Still don't know how I'm going to deal with it next time. 

Hope you can get the cyst problem fixed and feel better. 

erer

Concerning the Vitex agnus castus supplement - I used to take it for years and it helped tremendously. I used to be in so much pain during my periods that I had to call the paramedics etc. It helped with the pain and also with PMS.

Now that I am in acute WD it does not seem to do the trick. The pain is not back, but the PMS is over the top crazy. Of course I don't know how bad it would be if I didn't take the supplement. The week or even two before my period starts all symptoms get worse day by day and as the day of the period's start approaches it just keeps getting worse. I am an emotional wreck, I just cry helplessly for days. This time around it seems to be making me extremely depressed.

reachingforthestars

My wave started just a day before my period started. This time with mainly physical symptoms. Feeling cold, no appetite, shaky and weakness, exhausted, like all the strength have dissapeared from my arms and legs, house bound. 

Have anyone else had the worsening of physical symptoms during their PMS and periods?

Tamtam1

Yep, I woke up shaking the last two days as I'm getting ready to start myself, but it's way milder then it has been the last few times.

I have PCOS so my periods are 2-3 months apart so I have no idea when I'm going to get my period so when the shakes started yesterday I knew it was coming and sure enough shaking is stonger today and the cramps have started. This month, interestingly enough, I only have the shaking. normally I have a huge anxiety increase and my OCD goes through the roof too so it looks like it's getting better.

The symptoms for me normally ease the 2nd or 3rd day into my period.