DSN13

PMS and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal

Dez
3 hours ago, Hellbutrin said:

I've been off of Wellbutrin for three months. It's the only psychiatric drug I've ever taken, but for some reason I just started having suicidal waves of depression last week. I hope this feeling doesn't last for months, if it does it might start effecting my job. My depression is directly related to the medication though for sure, since I was never originally taking it for depression, I was taking it for anxiety. You had suicidal depression for a few months because of a medication change?

You have a much better chance of recovering faster, I feel :) It's very difficult for people who have switched a lot, at least from what I've seen, but everyone is different. I'm sure it'll calm down eventually but you have to hang in there!

As for the suicidal depression, it wasn't just the changing. It was the constantly getting me to try different ones without letting my brain come off the last ones. My brain and body couldn't handle so many different meds. I forgot to mention they stuck me on buspirone too for my "anxiety and panic attacks" that cropped up during all this. I've NEVER had anxiety or panic before these medications and they decided to treat a reaction from a drug with another drug, which commonly happens. It was awful. I've never felt so bad in my entire life but at least things are slowly improving.

MarianAmber

Since I started withdrawing from Lamictal, I have noticed changes to my menstrual cycle. Namely, pms symptoms are much worse, including acne, cramping, and mood swings. My face also breaks out mid-cycle around ovulation, which it did not do before. I also have breast tenderness and a dull achey feeling in my lower abdomen around mid-cycle. 

Have any any other women noted cycle changes? Have you found any ways to help support hormonal health/deal with increased hormonal symptoms?

civilwar142pa

I've had a lot of these same issues, worse cramping, long periods, and exponentially increased anxiety during and after my period. I feel like I've got one good week out of the month and the other three are awful still. I've been off Lexapro completely for a few months, and I hope this starts to dissipate soon. I'm currently in the PMS period, feeling slightly panicky, shaky and anxious and have a killer headache. 

Peachy

Calling all ladies. Let's talk PMS/PMDD during W/D or tapering. I am suffering SO bad with this. Actually, my WD symptoms are so much better 2 weeks of the month, but like clockwork, two days before I start I drop into darkness. It's seriously the same every time. I'm feeling pretty good, positive that I am healing, then the NEXT day, BAM. I fell hopeless, crying, dark/weird/irrational intrusive thinking, and I'm just pissed off. Can anyone relate? It's scary.

I have had my hormone levels checked, and they are fine. It seems that WD and the meds cause you to be hypersensitive to your own hormone fluctuations. Does this get better with time? Will this heal as the WD gets better?? Anyone who's been through the trenches and out the other side, do you have words of encouragement? I don't know how I will live with this!

I have spoken to my gyno, and although I'm totally against BC, as it's always caused me symptoms and weight gain in the past, I was thinking of trying a low dose progesterone only that haults your periods. I know this is horrible, but I wonder if it will help with healing if there aren't those fluctuations for awhile? Has anyone tried chastberry? Had a reaction to it? I'm currently hypersensitive to some supplements...

Has anyone experimented with this?? Has anything helped? Made it worse?

Thoughts, stories, ideas are appreciated!

xx 

Sheera

@PeachyI feel you!  I’m in the same boat. I know hormones are super sensitive to any stresses our bodies are dealing with so I have been trying to tell myself that they will eventually even out. This was one of my worst symptoms before I was on AD. (I had a job issue that caused all of my anxiety which I think affected my hormones. If I had quit my job I think I would’ve healed naturally) I’ve also had my hormones checked and they were fine. My homeopath had prescribed me a natural progesterone and I was on it for awhile but I don’t think it helped. I have noticed that my cycles are getting longer then they had been—they were 21 days—now up to 25 or 26. I’m at 20 months out and thinking that for me this will probably one of my last symptoms to resolve. I would love to hear some success stories as well of people whose issues resolved.

I have the same thoughts, depression, inner restlessness etc. Last month was especially difficult. I’m hoping this month I will see some symptoms lessen and I’ll have a little hope. 

My symptoms usually last last at least a week after I start. When do yours usually resolve?

Prayers for improvement for you—

Sheera

Melissa5000

When I have my period or pms my withdrawal symptoms get more intense. 

My period and cycle are normal. But in general I feel a lot weaker and more tired during those days. That is normal.

My main withdrawal symptoms are widespread musclepain and nervepain. My pain gets worse during pms and my period.

When I was in withdrawal, third december 2017 I quit the birthcontrol pil. My cycle is since then normal. But I have lots of hair loss and acne since then! The birth control pil I took was meant to help with acne and hair loss too. So now I suffer hairloss and acne as a withdrawal effect from the birthcontrol pill! (My hormones and scalp were checked by a dermatologist and according to her everything was normal.) Before I was very young. I had acne but no hairloss. After more than 20 years I quit the birthcontrol pill. I am 43 now. 

yogiem

I have had one period (that was late) since I quit taking Effexor in January of this year. I didn’t even think about that being something related to withdrawal. My body is so out of whack right now, and I’m starting to realize that everything points back to the withdrawal. It’s crazy. I’m trying to trust that my body knows how to heal itself as long as I give it what it needs.

mariposa84

Hi yogiem, Gland you recently posted on this thread. It seems like we're not alone with what we've been going through. I have recently started tapering off of Lexapro and I've noticed that my PMS is at least 5x worse than what it normally is during...everything does seem to point to withdrawal like you said. 

littleball

My PMS is way worse in WD, there are symptoms I get mostly during this phase: I become suicidal, I cry with no reason, I have brain fog and deep depression, freaking out.

I want to point out that even before ADs I suffered from PMS. I remember the most depressive days of my life were related to PMS. Fortunately they were isolated days. I even went to my GP (like in 2013) to claim this problem and he suggested magnesium in the first place, but it didn't do much for me back then, just like in the present situation. 

The feelings I have now resemble very much what I used to feel, except they are 10 times stronger. Effexor masked them a little bit.

Just wanted to report my experience and suggest everyone to keep track of your menstrual cycle so that you can be prepared and not think for the worst while in these days. 

Rosetta

Ladies, read this essay and tell me if you think this woman is in WD.  She says she has taken citalopram and sertraline and neither helped her peri-menopause.  She doesn't say whether she took those drugs prior to becoming perimenopausal, but I would love to know.  She has endometriosis and has never had children.  She is now taking estrogen and progesterone, and she's still reporting symptoms of AD withdrawal, but she believes she has a terrible cause of "the change."

What is the relationship between these conditions, perimenopause and WD?  Does WD mimic perimenopause?  Maybe even in men?!  And young women?  Do some people get dysautonomia (the technical term for the destabilization of the nervous system that causes many WD symptoms) from perimenopause?  Is perimenopause worse in people who take antidepressants?  

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/16/it-feels-impossible-to-beat-how-i-was-floored-by-menopause#img-3

I would love to see someone write a book about this coincidence or connection.

mirage

@Rosetta I just read the article and, maybe, I think I can shed some light on this by telling you my experience?

I went through peri menopause with few symptoms. Mostly night sweats. However, menopause was a different thing. I had more severe night sweats and off and on nausea. I had 2, out of the blue panic attacks, for no reason and I did not have anxiety. I see an ob that specializes in menopause and HRT. She ran a very detailed panel of blood work in March 2017. All was normal except my female hormones, no testosterone, no progesterone but still making a small about of estrogen. That said, I selected to replace the hormones. I get it in pellet form. I got my first insertion in April 2017. Now fast forward to June 2017. That is when my withdrawal symptoms began. They were severe and I had everything falling apart, both mentally and physically. I had no idea what was going on. My internist said it was the HRT causing the problems. I went back to my ob and she ran another detailed panel in July of 2017. At that point, my entire endocrine system was off. Hypothyroidism, high cortisol ect. She told me it was from the ct from the Wellbutrin. She said everything would, eventually go back to normal but it would take quite a while. She did not call it withdrawal though. I had another insertion of hormones in Aug 2017. Keep in mind, I started HRT in April of 2017. Started withdrawal in June 2017. Had normal blood work in May of 2017 and abnormal blood work in July 2017. To me this was complications of stopping the Wellbutrin. 

Since i had 2 drs telling me 2 different reasons for my illness, I decided to take a break from the HRT to see what happens. My ob said it would take a full 6 months to remove the hormones from my body. I waited 9 months. In that 9 months, my withdrawal symptoms got worse and my night sweats came back. I also noticed the anxiety, which I had all of the time from the withdrawal, was really severe and not improving. All of that said, it was not the hormones causing these symptoms. 

I chose to start HRT again and had an insertion in early May 2018. Since then, the anxiety has improved a lot. Not gone, but much better than it was prior to that. My energy level is better and I do not suffer from any type of depression.

In my case, I believe the HRT helped me and is still helping me through this journey. Having balanced hormones helps with depression and anxiety. It is very common for women to have both, during menopause. Balancing the hormones back out usually helps with that. And, in my case, it has. I get my pellet insertion every 3 and a half to 4 months. 

I think you are correct, this women is going through withdrawal. If you have any questions about HRT please don't hesitate to ask me. 

Hugs and prayers

Peachy
On 8/9/2018 at 7:50 PM, mariposa84 said:

Hi yogiem, Gland you recently posted on this thread. It seems like we're not alone with what we've been going through. I have recently started tapering off of Lexapro and I've noticed that my PMS is at least 5x worse than what it normally is during...everything does seem to point to withdrawal like you said. 

HI @mariposa84! I'm also tapering down from 20mg of Lexapro. My period is horrendous at this stage. Migraines, extreme fatigue/no motivation, extreme irrational anger and irritation, instrusive thoughts, and of course serious depression and crying to the point of suicidal thoughts. Then as soon as my period ends, it mostly all levels out to a certain degree. Are you experiencing any of this? Its' so bad I can't hold down a job. 

How long have you been on Lexapro? Are you getting bad mental symptoms even with tapering? That has been the case for me...

Peachy
On 8/15/2018 at 5:06 AM, littleball said:

My PMS is way worse in WD, there are symptoms I get mostly during this phase: I become suicidal, I cry with no reason, I have brain fog and deep depression, freaking out.

I want to point out that even before ADs I suffered from PMS. I remember the most depressive days of my life were related to PMS. Fortunately they were isolated days. I even went to my GP (like in 2013) to claim this problem and he suggested magnesium in the first place, but it didn't do much for me back then, just like in the present situation. 

The feelings I have now resemble very much what I used to feel, except they are 10 times stronger. Effexor masked them a little bit.

Just wanted to report my experience and suggest everyone to keep track of your menstrual cycle so that you can be prepared and not think for the worst while in these days. 

@littleball

I have the same thing happening, except I never experienced PMS before. Not really at least, besides the minor ache and pain, and tired. Im a serious mess every period, and it takes me a good week to come out of it, just to start it all over again. It's draining. Is yours any better?

XX

Junglechicken

I have missed 2 periods since my father died in February this year.

My cycle is completely messed up, and I'm getting "false" results back for phantom bladder infections.

GP is onto it (at LONG last), and I'll be getting the result back from a urine sample this week.

Next up will be FSH test, etc.,

Don't know what to say other than WD, Peri-meno and bereavement are playing havoc on my body.

Next up will be braving the workplace again.

JC

Peachy
On 4/18/2012 at 6:41 AM, DSN13 said:

Ever since I started the tapering process from Lexapro (20mg for 14 years, started tapering in January and am now on 5mg) I have been experiencing PMS to the worst degree. Physically it feels about the same, but emotionally I am a wreck. I am overly anxious, shaky and can cry at the drop of a hat. I want to curl up in a ball of tears in bed and not leave my house. I need some support doing this difficult time. Has anyone else experience this as well?

yes yes yes. I am experiencing this. I have complete doom overcome me. Im physically exhausted too. It takes about a week to recover from each period too. I hope this heals. Im also still on 5mg down from 20mg, same time on the drug as well. I even get weird disordered thinking and extreme anger and agitation. I would say thats the scariest part. 

Peachy

Are there any success stories of women who struggled greatly with PMS during WD and this healed? 

I'm really concerned I'm now stuck with a PMDD diagnoses... :(

ChessieCat

I was in the process of posting to suggest trying magnesium when I decided to do a quick google search on PMS and seen that both magnesium and omega 3 are suggested.  They are the two supplements which SA recommends for WD.  

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Peachy

@ChessieCat

Thank you! Those are the two supplements that I take :) 

I'm wondering if anyone started having extreme mental symptoms during WD, but they got WAY worse during their periods? 

Does this start to heal as the WD process heals?

ChessieCat
4 hours ago, Peachy said:

Those are the two supplements that I take

What doses are you taking?  Do you take magnesium throughout the day or only once a day?

ChessieCat
4 hours ago, Peachy said:

I'm wondering if anyone started having extreme mental symptoms during WD, but they got WAY worse during their periods? 

Have you read through all 7 pages of this topic?

Peachy

@ChessieCat

yes I did read all 7 pages, multiple times. It’s just that no one has come back to say that they experienced this AND it healed and went away after WD. This is the reassurance I guess I’m after... 

I also see a lot about pain and physical symptoms getting worse, but not much about mental stuff. 

I take a liquid magnesium throughout the day. Sometimes i feel like it gives me side effects though, which sounds rare? 

moonstoneblue

Hi all, I just thought I’d share my lexapro she period experience. 

I’ve been on lexapro since around August 2016, they made my breasts bigger and mood swings before my period really bad. I’d feel depressed for two weeks before my period too. 

Ive been tapering down from 10mg of lexapro for maybe over 2 months, I’m down to 5mg now and intended to stick on 5mg for a while, but my periods are all over the place. I find it quite scary as I’m 35, not had children because I’m single and have had chronic fatigue since November 2016, and it concerns me. 

Anyway I tried evening primrose a few times while on lexapro but it made my period 6-8weeks late each time. I was wondering if it’s connected to lexapro increasing prolactin or something? 

I feel completely lost being irregular. 

Junglechicken

The stress of WD can cause irregularity in the menstrual cycle.  Been there, that's for sure.

Also, you COULD have entered into peri-meno?  Have you had your hormone levels checked?

They can start to get irregular mid-30s and right the way through your 40s and into menopause.

Talk to your GP too, who MIGHT suggest a pelvic ultrasound just to check all is well in the reproductive area.

Hope you can get some answers.