KarenB

I have sent a report to CARM, and I received a letter back saying, among other things, 'While we are aware of withdrawal symptoms with venlafaxine and related medicines it is important to know the impact they have on individuals.'

I am writing a reply to CARM to continue this conversation with them.  I'll also send letters to Pharmac, the MP, and medsafe.  Thanks NZ - I didn't think of those places, and also you have been one of the main people to encourage me to write letters.  I wasn't ready when I first got here, but I didn't forget your insistence on how important it is to do.  Thank you.

Damn these drugs NZ - I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's friend.  You are most likely right, and even if not actually withdrawing, just being on the drug increases the suicide risk.  If this was the sort of forum where swearing was ok, then you'd see a lot more words in this post....

Wow reading this has made my day.

You go girl you good thing you!!

i am very happy and thrilled to read of your decision to push back against this wrong.

Sounds like your letter has triggered some serious reflection at that clinic.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

If they are going to call this a serious adverse event ...which it of course is then they should do the right thing and file a serious adverse event report (SAE) with both CARM and pharmac. Please push for this.

CARM simply send out a standard letter.

I have seen another kiwi's letter they got also from CARM. It reveals an appalling ignorance from that office. I cannot tell you how overjoyed i am that you are now firing letters to these people... :)

Keep pushing back on them and pharmac and eventually they will fold and say er arr ahh ok go and complain to medsafe.

I thought all roads led to pharmac or carm but i think they end at medsafe.

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Just read your post about elongated QT sorry to hear about this, had to do a wiki to read about it.

Here's hoping as the dose decreases this effect might recede.

I wonder how many of us also have this but dont know because we never had it checked out.

Recovering paxil addict

Wow, Karen! I am proud of you. Such great news.

Sorry though about the heart thing, I really hope it's minor.

Hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well, even better than being 'minor' the heart condition turned out to be a false positive.  A blip of the machine.  So I'm fine!  Well, apart from having two weeks of extra anxiety due to thinking I had a heart condition...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Phew,.. thats great news

Recovering paxil addict

What a relief!

Hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Great to hear it Karen

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 months later...

I don't have the answers Karen, as I'm not experienced with this. However what ever you do - good luck! 

:)

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Nick.  You'll be glad you're out of NZ - it's the coldest it's been all year.  We're burning the fire all day.  Although, it is lovely and cosy, and we're watching old episodes of Downton Abbey, since we never saw it yet. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

arrr man!!! looks pretty cold over there haha it is stunning over here (weather wise)

Keep warm - keep cosy!

Enjoy Downton Abbey haha

!

Love Nick

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

• 1 month later...

KarenB 

Greetings I am posting to ask if you have done the wdl survey ...time is running out and it has presented a  fantastic opportunity to talk to those perhaps with influence about wdl difficulties. It would be great if you and your husband could participate also? Maybe you already have. 

Regards

nz11

...approx. 6 hours before it closes from the time of this post.

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-11 at 5:38 PM, KarenB said:

Great responses from Baroquep and Scallywag, so all I want to add is another voice of an effexor taperer.  Go slow, and it can be done!  You're in the awful place of suffering w/d, and finding out all this information which can be a bit overloading - but as you read some links, and start to put a plan in place (which you don't have to do alone, mods and members are here to help) things should start to smooth out a bit. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

Hello Karen, am feeling very desperate at the moment and am reaching out to others who have dealt with this effexor.  I have been on and off 11 years and on 37.5-75 mgs.  Once tried 112.5 for a month and had to completely down dose / became suicidal. Was just off since May 30 and was hit again with side effects.  Drs said hey try remeron...  holy crAp, all of August found out that didn't work!  Just been 4 days since reinstatement of 5 mgs. And it's been terrible.  Complete insomnia, no appetite, depressed, never been overly depressed before, wth.  Constant indecision, even wondering if I should just stop st this point.  Anyhow, thanks for listening, take care and best on your healing journey ~

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, KarenB said:

Just got back from my doctor's.  It appears I have a condition called elongated QT, which is a heart thing.  Probably caused by antidepressants.  Am being referred to a cardiologist, who can do a more detailed reading.  It is likely to be at just a minor level, in which case I just keep on as I am.  In the rare event it is at a more serious level then I'm basically f----d (as the only remedy then is to get off effexor). 

Can't find much about it on this site - any of you other mods know anything about it? 

KarenB

I am interested in your follow up cardiology visit. I very recently was diagnosed with prolonged QT interval...mine was 516, very long! I am on Trintellix, Lexapro, Clonazepam and Vistaril as needed. It was two days ago I had some typical palpitations that grew so strong and we're relentless. Having been a Critical Care RN for 34 years, I called an ambulance......good thing because I was in a bigeminy of PVCs! They feel it is my Antidepressants and I stopped the Lexapro 5mg cold turkey ( it is more likely to cause the LQT ( long QT). LQT puts ppl at higher risk for cardiac arrythmias and sudden death. The cardiologist put me on a Beta Blocker drug ( low dose Metoprolol) as it will decrease these risks and sometimes can shorten the QT interval. My psychiatrist/ NP cannot be reached until Monday and we're not in Friday when I called the office from my hospital bed ( I was admitted and on a heat monitor due to the bigeminy of PVCs). I stopped the Lexapro but will remain on the Trintellix 10 mg daily until I can talk to psych. I had only been on the 5 mg of Lexapro for about 8 weeks so I hope no WD affect with occur. Please let me know how it works out for you.

Peace

Mellowplease

Mellowplease

• 2 weeks later...

KarenB  Just wondering what you used in place of the Effexor please?  Thanks

Effexor Brand changed over to Enlafax XR sometime during the first three months of 2017.
Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.  7/4/17 Propronolol @ 40mg  x 3 times per day increasing as required.  160mg Slow Release x 3 times per day for disabling Panic Attacks.   15/5/17 medication mix up, somewhere prior Mirtazapine increased to 60mg per day. PDoc concerned of Seratonin Syndrome reduced to 30mg per day.  21/6/17 Effexor 37.5mg  reduced.  22/8/17 Mirtazapine reduced 15mg. 14/9/17 Developed GERD added 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x1 Ferrous Fumarate, 17/9/17 Propranolol dosage between 320mg to 400mg 3 to 4x per every second day for disabling Panic Attacks.  17/9/17 Current Medication: 12.5mg Olanzapine, 187.5mg Enlafax XR, 15mg Mirtazpine, Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 pd, Propranolol 320mg to 400mg x 3 or 4 x perday. 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x 1 Ferrous Fumarate  29/9/17 Propranolol  Slow Release 160mg x 3pd, Propranolol 120mg x 3 pd = 840mg per day.  9/10/17 Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 per day, Propranolol 80mg x 3 per day = 720mg per day.  Increased 10/9/17 Propranolol 840mg per day. 14/10/17 Reduced Mirtazapine to13.5mg 18/10/17 Removed Mirtazpine 13.5mg  23/10/17 Reducing Propranolol by 10mg every second day down to 400mg per day. 13/12/17 Now at 400mg Propranolol per day - holding.  20/12/17 Reduced Olanzapine by 10% to 11.25mg.  21/1/18: Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg    Reducing Propranolol by 10mg per week.  8/3/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg . 6/4/18 Reduced .625mg Olanzapine. 4/5/18 Reduced .625 Olanzapine  31/5/18 Changed from Propranolol 160 SR to Propranolol 160. 8/6/18 Morning Olanzapine changed to wafer and reduced by .10mg. 15/6/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .10mg per week Current Medication:  8.345mg Olanzapine; 187.50 Enlafax SR;  Propranolol 55mg x 4 per day.  Minimum 30mins exercise per day.  Fortisip x 2 per day. 

6/7/18 Admitted to Hospital with Chronic Aspiration Pneumonia - medications reduced.  8/11/18 Effexor XR 75mg morning and 37.5mg evening, Madopar Rapid 62.5mg x 4 per day.

• 1 month later...

Merry Christmas karenb

karen you havent posted for a while. Are you okay. Can you give an update. I’m worried about you.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

bump

Recovering paxil addict

Happy new year

Recovering paxil addict

Proof of life...anything....

Recovering paxil addict

• 1 month later...

Greetings Karenb

Just door knocking to see if you and your husband might consider making a submission for the Scottish government ,doesn't have to be long.

See my drug sig for the details.

No pressure.

But would be terrific if you could.

Regards

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey all, and especially NZ11 who is very good at checking in on people:-)

I wanted to let you all know I am doing well.  Nearly half way off effexor, and life keeps getting better and better.  Slow and steady - a variation of the Brass Monkey Slide - is working very well for me.  More energy, more enjoyment, more being out and about.  I can travel again, and do much more with my daughters.  I have some part time work which I love, and I can do it with no anxiety issues etc. 

I ended up stopping my work here as a modertor as I needed to just be out in my world, with less focus on the effexor side of my life.  It was what I needed to do, but it did make me a little sad to leave behind this wonderfully supportive community.   

I'll pop back in every so often with another update.

Love to everyone - and do keep going, as it really does get better.

Karen.

8 month hold.

Hi Karen-- it's so good to hear that you're doing well and life is improving as you go. Miss having you around.

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Legend Karen - I’m so happy for you :) 

Love and hugs 

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Hi, KarenB, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone, long time no see...

I am still slowly reducing effexor. 2/3 of the way there now. Such tiny drops, just one a week for a 2, 3 or 4 weeks (depends on how it's going) then a few weeks of holding steady. Side-effects minimal, except I can't do things like walk up the mountain or go to dance class. One day! I can now tolerate a coffee every few weeks:-) Sleep is just fine again too.

I'm working part time at a place I love - our local recycling center, my eldest girl just turned 18, covid happened, my darling dog of 8 years died of a brain tumor ... and so, life eh?

But I'm mostly pretty good, settled, occasionally felt a bit lost and anxious when NZ went into lock-down ... had to remember my PTSD-coping skills.

And to anyone reading this who is at the start of their journey, take heart! You can get there.

Love to everyone,

Karen

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lovely to hear from you Karen.  Thank you for coming back to update us on how you are.

Sounds like you are doing well under the circumstances and I glad you are working where you enjoy it.  That can help so much.

(Don't want to hijack your topic but I hope your hubby is doing okay too.  If I recall he has his own topic.  Is he or you able to provide an update please?  Thanks.)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, KarenB.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to KarenB: slow Effexor taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Aaron is doing reasonably well. Still has the hot/itchy skin if he's not careful to keep cool, but he is actually on steroids to control that:-(  He is able to decrease faster than I can though. He is now at a wee way past 2/3 of the way off.

Nice to hear from you Chessie and Alto

8 month hold.

• 1 year later...

Hi @KarenB

I appreciate your many helpful posts across SA. Thank you for your contributions!

How are you going?

Best wishes,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Time for a check in ... I've worked my way down to 7 micro-beads of Effexor, feeling pretty happy about that. Symptoms have been minimal or non-existant for the last year of 1-bead drops every fortnight or so. Then with the last two reductions I've had an increased burning/numb sensation in random patches on my skin, and early morning waking with anxiety.

Held at 8 beads for 5 weeks, and now have been holding at 7 beads for 2 months and the symptoms are continuing so felt a bit annoyed and worried. Popped back on here, read Brassmonkey's Endgame post, and feel a bit more reassured to wait it out. Which is good because I'd been feeling tempted to try another drop, wondering if my brain now thought there were no drugs left at this amount so I may as well just keep rolling it down to zero ... anyhoo, back to the main plan ... slow, slow, slow.

Hello everyone:-)

8 month hold.

• Mentor
4 hours ago, KarenB said:

Time for a check in ... I've worked my way down to 7 micro-beads of Effexor, feeling pretty happy about that. Symptoms have been minimal or non-existant for the last year of 1-bead drops every fortnight or so. Then with the last two reductions I've had an increased burning/numb sensation in random patches on my skin, and early morning waking with anxiety.

Held at 8 beads for 5 weeks, and now have been holding at 7 beads for 2 months and the symptoms are continuing so felt a bit annoyed and worried. Popped back on here, read Brassmonkey's Endgame post, and feel a bit more reassured to wait it out. Which is good because I'd been feeling tempted to try another drop, wondering if my brain now thought there were no drugs left at this amount so I may as well just keep rolling it down to zero ... anyhoo, back to the main plan ... slow, slow, slow.

Hello everyone:-)

Thanks for the update.  Keep up the great work!  😃 

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• Moderator Emeritus

Great to see your update KarenB?  Yah, good to wait it out when symptoms arise.  Hope they settle or disappear real soon.  Any idea of the dose you take now of Effexor?  Is it immediate release or longer acting?  And best.  L, p, h, and g.  mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

It's extended release effexor. I'm not sure what does 7 micro beads equates to sorry ... something tiny!

8 month hold.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, looking for some opinions from the moderators if possible. Over the last year of reducing by one micro-bead every three months, my main withdrawal symptom of burning/prickling skin sensations has slowly increased. It's now 4 months since my last reduction and if anything the sensation is slightly worse.

I've read your articles on reistatement and think I may need to, but wanted some opinions / reassurance as it feels like a big decision. At this point should I just wait it out? Slightly scared I'll make it worse by going back up by 1 microbead. Also scared it'll keep getting worse if I don't reinstate. Currently on 5 microbeads.

Thanks in advance,

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

I put my dose up from 5 microbeads to 6 microbeads, and the next day started getting worse symptoms (burning/prickly skin feelings), then each day worse symptoms for four days. Today, I decided to pop back down to 5 microbeads and hold until no symptoms.

Hope this is right.

8 month hold.