SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in, PB.

Right this second -- not a problem.  Still bothering me on and off though.  Hopefully, it will diminish more regularly over the course of the next 11 days so that I am comfortable with my next scheduled drop in Sertraline dosage on 8/1.  If it's not I will need to consider delaying the cut.

Thanks again,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Update to the prior post.  On the whole I'm feeling so-so.  Fair amount of brain fog but anxiety is not too bad. Started sipping the Calm in water and I think that is helping.  My joints -- hips primarily are really frustrating the heck out of me as I really want to be able to so some meaningful light exercise.  I am forcing a walk around the block 3 times each day to try to make sure I'm moving but this is really annoying.  Hoping it is tied to the meds and that over time it will abate.

All of it is pretty much manageable but the one symptom that has increased yesterday/today is the pins/needles/buzzing in the arms and hands.  It feels like, for those of you that have worked with an electric sander, the sensation you have when you are holding the sander and its really going good and you are working on a big piece of wood.  Does that description resonate with anyone?

I suppose it's not a shock that I'm feeling a little worse the last 2 days.  Yesterday morning as I was driving into the office, an 18 wheeler got too close to me in the city and crossed into my lane.  The lug nuts on his big old front right wheel hit my driver's side door and pierced the metal causing it to gouge out a large hole in the door!  I didn't really get that upset and dealt with the driver, police, etc. pretty well, but the inconvenience was certainly frustrating.  I'm guessing my autonomic nervous system was stressing under the surface BIG TIME!

Anyway, no injuries and just a hassle. 

:o

Best to all,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Glad to hear you survived the mishap and that you handled it so well.  Wishing you continued positive progress.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Pug.  Appreciate the good thoughts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Geez Andy ,  nothing like having a near-death experience to shake up your nervous system - I'm so glad you're okay.  

That sort of incident puts even the most stable person in a delicate situation. Hardly surprising that your symptoms have been triggered.

The description of a buzzing sensation is new , and of course i wonder about akathisia.  Is this the first time you've had that sensation?

My gut feeling is that it will settle quickly , but don't under-estimate the psychological impact of having an enormous lorry coming straight at you.  And the sound when it hit must have been so loud . . . scary stuff. (I remember when I collected a woman who ducked out from behind a bus once how loud the BOOMP was).

I'd be inclined to hold for a bit longer if I were you.   Call me old-fashioned , but there's no hurry here.  The most important thing is your stability and it's not worth risking that.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Andy,

Glad you survived the incident!

I also had the tingling sensations again the last days, together with some muscle tension so I guess that even on a stable level we can't really avoid wd symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

• Moderator Emeritus

Fresh,

Thanks as always for your thoughts. The accident wasn't really dangerous -- kind of didn't even know it was happening until it was over. Just did a real ugly to my car.

I'm going to see how I'm feeling heading into my next planned drop. If I'm not improved I will hold. If I'm a little better I may do a smaller drop. If I'm feeling back to where I was I will do my normal drop. We'll see how it goes but either way I appreciate your input.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy,

Glad you survived the incident!

I also had the tingling sensations again the last days, together with some muscle tension so I guess that even on a stable level we can't really avoid wd symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

PB

Wasn't so much survivaL, PB, but thanks.

Sorry your symptoms are up -- hope you turn that corner soon.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Further update and input on best approach.

I continue to have a great deal of the pins and needles and buzzing in the arms, hands and feet.  It's really annoying but doesn't really adversely affect me other than being annoying (no loss of strength, no motor issues, still typing, etc.).  I am scheduled to reduce my sertraline this weekend by another 10% and am feeling rather conflicted.

On the one hand, I don't want to reduce when I am having symptoms I assume are from the w/d.

On the other hand, lots of people report improvement overall as they get lower on the med (usually having more difficulty in the very final stages).

My emotional self clearly wants to get off the crap and would throw it out the window if given the green light by the "SSRI Gods" (a/k/a Alto and the other mods -- sounds like a good name for a band!). Since I am emotionally involved in the decision I thought I would see if I could get some input from those in the know on this board.

Thanks in advance. 

In addition, for those of you who are not aware, there is a free summit starting August 10.  Google "The Mental Wellness Summit" if you want to sign up for free.  As part of the sign-up you get access to the pre-summit interview with Kelly Brogan (who I think is awesome) who discusses at length the difficulty of getting off SSRIs and her approach to dealing with the withdrawal (citing, among other things, Fava, et. al. as the first public acknowledgment of the discontinuation problems).  I thought it was VERY enlightening.

Andy

Andy,

I don't know enough to give you any sage wisdom, but I will wish and hope that your symptoms resolve and your healing continues.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Pug.  Appreciate your good wishes as always.

Andy

Thumbs for apace41! I think he is one of the more calm members here and i aprreciate his advise on Jacklyn's thread.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

Hi Andy--  I got the pins and needles a lot during my taper, mainly in my hands and arms and a good deal in my lower legs and feet.  It's improved a lot but still there from time to time.  Looking at your signature it seems that you may be going a bit too fast. Also the big drops you made at the beginning of the year are possibly catching up with you and causing some of the problems, so you may want to take a break for a month or so to let theings settle out.  If you spread out your drops to 6 weeks instead of the 4 you're currently doing, you should see some more improvement.  You might be a good candidate for the "Brassmonkey Slide Method".  It involves dropping by 2.5% a week for 4 weeks and then holding an additional 2 weeks.  This gives a total drop o 10% every 6 weeks, but it lets you sneak up on the symptoms so it cushions the effects of the drop.  I know a bunch of people who have had really good luck with it.

Also I would look into dropping the B-complex supplements.  B vitamins, especially B-12 tend to be over stimulating to people in WD and can cause a myriad of problems. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply, Brassmonkey!  Yes, I saw the slide method you are seeking, I would guess, to patent?  LOL.  If you go too far you will wind up with a  daily microtaper which is what I used to get off of Clonazepam.  My personal chemistry experiment such as it was.

Good advice which I appreciate.  Part of the issue, to be honest, is that I am at 33mg which is 25mg in a tablet and 4ml of liquid which is the equivalent of 8mg of drug.  When I can drop to 25mg and just have the pill I can take a break from the liquid syringe dosing which is getting old (especially after 2.5 years of doing that for the clonazepam!).  Anyway, your advice on that score is sage and I intend to follow it.  I will probably adopt the "Brassmonkey AP Slide Variation" where I drop 5% every three weeks and get to my 10% over 6 weeks because it's easier to go down by 1ml (2mg) every 3 weeks as it doesn't require separate dilution of the liquid form of the drug.  When I get to 25mg I still intend to hold to allow for what I hope will be some "catching up" from the earlier faster cuts.

With respect to the B vitamins I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I had stayed away from B vitamins during my benzo taper for that very reason -- the activating nature of the vitamin.  During the course of testing to determine if there was any underlying root cause for any of this outside of withdrawal, I found that I have slightly elevated homocysteine levels and am heterozygous for MTHFR.  The natural suggestion from my integrative doc with respect to those findings was (drum roll please) naturally to add a B complex.  I see her next week so I will try to discuss all this with her and see if she has a reaction to the thought of dropping the B vitamin for the time being. 

As an aside, your comment on the B vitamins is prompting me to update my signature as I have several other supplements I have been trying primarily in the hopes of alleviating some bad arthritic pain in my hips (which I hope might improve with reduction in the meds since that has been the case for some) and improving the chance of regeneration.

Thanks again,

Andy

If the B complex isn't causing any trouble, then there is no need to drop it. But it is something to pay attention to.  Some people get away with it some don't.  Also if there is an actual "need" for it, as there may be in your case that's something additional to take into consideration.  I see where your going with your taper plan and it sounds good to me.  Don't get me started on arthritic hip and hand pain...

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks again, Brassmonkey.  It's a tough call on the B vitamins so I think I'll get my doc's input as to how important they are for the genetic issues, etc. when I see her next week.  I've had a definite ramp-up in the one symptom -- the pins and needles -- and it's certainly possible the B complex is part (or more than part) of the problem.

I find it very hard not to have concern that such a neurologic sensation is not due to something beyond the meds even though there are so many stories of others in the same boat.  I have the sensation most of the time although it's hard to say because the only time you measure it is when you are aware of it, i.e., there could be plenty of time that it's not an issue but I don't notice it.

You said you had a lot of it -- was it most of the time?  I don't really want to head down the rabbit hole of EMG, MRI, CT, add your own abbreviation, but I also don't want to miss something important.  I suppose the advice I gave PapaBear holds true -- if it gets to the point where it changes from annoying to debilitating, that's the point to get it worked up.

Andy

Hi apace41, i am also taking a high dose bcomplex daily. My psychiatrist/neurologist gave it to me to heal the muscle sheath he says or the covering of the muscles above my brain. It seemed it got stuck or stiffen on a certain point due to the shock i went tru.

The muscles or nerves from my scalp to the back of my head, to my back and the back of my legs really hurt and had that burning sensation when i first took my pristiq antidepressant.

It is better now. The stiffness in my head is only minor now, but i do felt minor spasms all over my back. But what really help substancially is when i took the omega three fish oil two months ago. The symptoms of stiffness in my head was drastically reduced by the fish oil. I told this to my pdoc and he says it wont hurt to take the fish oil so i am taking them along with my bcomplex.

Now i am not sure if bcomplex can be too stimulating, but i need them anyway. Same for the fish oil.

My complain lately is i am waking up with the feeling of my head having that cold or dread feeling. Its like a light bulb trobbing. I am not sure if this is withdrawal or due to the supplements i am taking. Hard to know unless i isolate one of them and see..

Good luck and wishing you continued healing.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

Hey Andy-- I really started noticing it back when I was on my full dose and headed into hardcore poopout.  I would have trouble with my hands "going to sleep" while driving.  From there it progressed to my whole arms and then into my feet and legs.  Usually it was when I was sitting but then became pretty common while I was asleep.  It wasn't all the time but pretty much a daily occurrence until I had tapered down to below 10mg.  At that point I noticed that it wasn't happening as often.  It pretty well had stopped by 3mg, but has ben flaring up again recently.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Tom. It's ramped up a great deal over the past couple of days. I'm really struggling with it and finding it hard to not get uptight for fear there is some insidious illness (other than w/d which is quite insidious) at the root of this. It's pretty much constant at this point, varying in intensity, but there virtually all of the time. I don't notice it while sleeping but as soon as I'm up -- there it is. Comes with some internal agitation so, Fresh, I think akathisia is certainly in play.

So much fun.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Same situation here and it varies permanently with quality of sleep, weather and exactness of the dose I am taking.

Of course I am worrying the same way but hey, how likely is it that we all have the same problems during wd?

If you search here and in other places, you'll find dozens of entries for tingling, crawling, numbness, pins and needles etc. . In many cases the affected persons had an MRT, EEG, EMG, blood works and other tests. Some even stayed in the hospital for some days - and the result was always zip.

Of course the tapering could have triggered some autoimmune or neuro-degenerative disease but often such diseases are really degenerative and in many cases progress in a relatively short period of time. For instance a colleague of mine has currently an inflamed nerve in the spine area and within one day she wasn't able to walk anymore...

So while our symptoms are scary as hell I think there is no other way than to endure it somehow and to rely on the many, many experiences from others here that suffered in a similar way. Sometimes it is very difficult to cope with it but so far it seems that we remained highly functional.

I don't know if this helps in anyway but again - given the sheer number of related cases - I think the likelyhood of another underlying disease is relatively low.

Cheers from the other hypochondriac on the forum ;-)

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Hey, Andy! Thank you for stopping by my thread. Hope you're doing relatively well! I also have the burning/tingling/numbness. It is my impression this is pretty common in withdrawal.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, PB and Luv -- my Alabama people checking in!

It does make me feel better.

Thank you both.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Waving at you from down under Andy   :) .

Have you come across the word "paresthesia" ?     It is the name given to the sensations of pins and needles , I'm sure there's info. in Symptoms and Self Care.

I had that earlier this year on both feet as I went to sleep , up the sides and over my ankles. It would stop when i stood up , and hasn't been around for a few months now.  If it doesn't hurt it's probably best to notice and acknowledge it , and try not to ruminate.

The internal tremor is different , I hope that settles before your next decrease , if you know what I mean (wink , wink).

Big thanks for the info. about the FREE  ONLINE SEMINAR 10-17 AUGUST 2015

The Mental Wellness Summit is an educational and

empowering experience that explores better ways to

approach mental health through functional medicine

and integrated healing.

Information on how to register is here http://mentalwellnesssummit.com/

F

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for stopping by on my thread Andy. I appreciate the support. I wish you peace and healing my friend.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you come across the word "paresthesia" ?     It is the name given to the sensations of pins and needles , I'm sure there's info. in Symptoms and Self Care.

I had that earlier this year on both feet as I went to sleep , up the sides and over my ankles. It would stop when i stood up , and hasn't been around for a few months now.  If it doesn't hurt it's probably best to notice and acknowledge it , and try not to ruminate.

I have read all the posts on that, Fresh, and fully recognize that it is a common symptom of withdrawal.  I was fine with it when it was every now and then (fine is too gracious, but you get my drift).  When it increased significantly it got me uptight so I posted in the moment (which is what we all do as we look for outlets when we are hurting, concerned, etc.) which always makes things sound worse.  I'm very confident that it is withdrawal related and I just have to "suck it up" which I will do.  Coming on line and getting some cyber-pals to provide validation is one of the reasons that we all belong to the forum.  Having people who really "get it" is invaluable.

Thank you for posting, my friend, and I'm glad you will take advantage of the free seminar.  I'm telling you that the Kelly Brogan interview is one of the best I've heard.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for stopping by on my thread Andy. I appreciate the support. I wish you peace and healing my friend.

Thanks for returning the visit, Blue.

I hope today was a better day for you than yesterday and that tomorrow is better still.

Even when you are feeling worse than the day before you are one day closer to being healed.  I really believe that.

Cheers,

Andy

Here is hoping that continued healing and relief are headed your way Andy, and in large measure!

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is hoping that continued healing and relief are headed your way Andy, and in large measure!

Thanks for the continued support, Pug!  I wish you the same right back.

Andy

Thank you so much, Andy. I so appreciate the support .  I was  worried about putting it "all out there".  I'm hoping for your continued "recovery".  You seem like such a  beautiful , "caring" person.   Hang on . You're going to get there.  Hugs, Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

P.S. Like Luv, I also have the numbness, tingling, burning, particularly in the legs, & at night. There is no doubt in my mind , - it is just "withdrawal".  We are all going through the same thing. I've just had all the "blood tests", which came back normal , except for elevated "cholesterol",  which in my mind is withdrawal , as well.  Certainly not going on the dreaded "statin drugs".  we need "cholesterol" for the brain.  Not falling into that "rabbit hole". ! Take care.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for stopping by my thread, Ali, and for adding such nice words and further validations for the "sewing kit" that goes on with our extremities (needles, pins, not funny? OK, I'll stop.)    :unsure:

Statins are interesting drugs.  They are even more controversial than SSRIs in that virtually EVERY doctor would vote to "put them in the water" but a very, very small few voice their concerns.  I was on statins for years and was taking a small dose of 10mg of atorvatstatin (Lipitor) when I recently decided to stop figuring the pins and needles might have been somewhat related.  My cholesterol is not an issue as I had advanced screening done and the particle size (mine is large and fluffy) is one of the most critical factors so I'm not really concerned.  If you haven't had the advance screening done, you should get it done because if your particle size is not an issue the amount of cholesterol is far less important.  They now think, however, that statins may have a very strong anti-inflammatory benefit that may aid in other areas, including cancer prevention.  I'm not suggesting that is a reason to stay on them at this stage -- just adding what I know.

Thanks again for stopping by, Ali, and I'm really thrilled you are doing well and had such a lovely day.

;)

Andy

"sewing kit", "pins & needles" , was funny . :)   Don't stop. 

Statins - I've been told for years, that I need to be on them . I have ripped up all my scripts.   It might turn out , that I need to be on them, but I doubt it.  I have researched it , like I (finally) did with A/D drugs,  and I agree , it's all to do with "particle size".  ( Large & fluffy , is not an issue. ). I just haven't gone in depth with that , yet, although I probably should, along with a whole lot of other tests, that I "should" have  !!.  Is that just a blood test , or something else?  I can't believe , I haven't looked this up , yet.   Having said that  - I know that is the line they're peddling now - "anti- inflammatory", but so is "aspirin" !!!  You don't need to lose your mind and your muscle, on "Statins". It's just another "money- spinner" in my mind, and the "dumbing down" of society, in general.     Thanks again, Andy.   Take care of yourself.   Ali   .

• Moderator Emeritus

Having said that  - I know that is the line they're peddling now - "anti- inflammatory", but so is "aspirin" !!!  You don't need to lose your mind and your muscle, on "Statins". It's just another "money- spinner" in my mind, and the "dumbing down" of society, in general.    

I definitely am leaning far more toward the viewpoint that most (all?) pharmaceutical products are almost exclusively for profit and that the drug manufacturer's could not care one whit about my health.  Having said that, there are certain cases where drugs are the only way to go to deal with a difficult disease.  It's hard not to be completely jaded by the entire serotonin myth and the fact that Big Pharma has spent so much time and money trying to perpetuate the lie for profit to all of our detriment.

The test that screens for more advance markers relating to your lipids requires nothing more than the same blood they draw when they do the basic testing and, at least here in the States, insurance is more and more picking up some or all of the cost.

Thanks again, Ali.

Andy

Ooh..seeing you taper from the get go..I wish I had known.

All the best with your taper :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Ooh..seeing you taper from the get go..I wish I had known.

Huh? :huh:  Not sure what you mean, Love?

All the best with your taper :)

Thanks, Love.

Sorry..just that you've found this site and you know how to do it properly from the start..I wish I'd known

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!