SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Mentor
31 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

I remember happy2heal struggled greatly with sleep.  I can't remember if she took anything to help her .  I wish I could help 

Hi Blondie and Andy,
Andy I'm sorry you are in this difficult wave. As you know, it will end, but it's a bear going thru it nonetheless. 

Blondie, I did try several different things to help with sleep (low dose lamictal, melatonin, turmeric powder in soy milk, glycine, and um, probably other things too)

It was a crap shoot, really, which, if any, of those things were going to help. I took some risks because I felt desperate. 

The benefits from any of them were really minor. I did feel more relaxed and thought I slept more deeply taking the glycine, but I can feel relaxed and sleep deeply without it, so maybe it was the placebo effect.

I still have sleep issues but

#1 I'm older and that's not uncommon for my age -so I accept it. Acceptance is a very big thing!!

#2 I read a book about sleep that describes it as a primary drive, and that, regardless of whether we feel like we've slept, or feel rested after sleeping, we all do sleep. Otherwise, we'd literally die. Reading this was a huge relief to me. You are always hearing about how bad lack of sleep is for the body and mind. When most people say they don't sleep, what they really mean is that they don't have any restful or restorative feeling sleep. Sleep studies have also shown that people do not have a good idea of how long they've actually slept. It's often longer than we perceive it to be, even if we've been watching the clock (something I am determined not to do!)

In WD/recovery, it can also be hard to tell being awake from being asleep- we are on such high alert, that going from one state to the other doesn't "register" to us on a conscious level.

The one thing that has helped me the MOST and that is the hardest thing to do- is to not focus on sleep. 

The less you think about it or worry about it, the better it gets. 

That's why that book helped me, it let me know that regardless of my perception, I am actually sleeping and so far, it's been enough to keep me going just fine. Not always or often at peak performance, of course, but enough. I am learning to accept that "enough" is good.

I really enjoy sleeping, and so my problem is that I never feel like I've slept as much as I WANT to, but that is different from getting enough sleep. I have had to change my mindset and find things that I enjoy, maybe not as much as a good nap, but enough so that my awake time is pleasant. 

So what helped me, but what may not be helpful for anyone else :P is:

#1 not focusing on sleep (hard to do!) and believing that you will get adequate sleep.

#2 Doing some gentle exercise every day- this makes a MUCH bigger difference than ANY of the supplements/substances that I've tried!

#3 yoga. yoga helps me to breathe better and relax more, and has had NO bad effects at all. So why not? ;-)   I only do the easy chair yoga that they have for "old folks" with a tiny bit of standing yoga for balance, nothing on the mat.  The effects are not dramatic, but they are very real and I always feel better  on the weeks I've taken a class. I am sure I'd feel even better if i did it every day- I'm working up to that, because I know enough of the routine I should be able to remember it to do it on my own. I'm just lazy/unmotivated to do things by myself. :/

I also avoid caffeine. I've been able to drink a bit of regular tea but I do better not drinking it all. I forget that chocolate has caffeine.

I don't think any of this is news to you Andy but since I saw my name pop up in conversation I thought I'd pop by and let you know I'm thinking of you.

it DOES get better. but you know that too ;-)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Martina23 said:

I would really try on your place for example on Saturday to make an outdoor trip to forest or somewhere on fresh air for the whole day walking or hiking in the hills and then see if you can sleep at night.

Thanks for the thought, Martina.  I try to get out every day for a walk but it is not really going back nature as you are suggesting.  I would like to be able to do that.   It's hard to manage it all of course.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

I was just thinking of how you were.  Can you take a day off from work at least or "work from home"?

Thanks for the concern, Blondiee.  I have a 1/2 day today -- part of the day at a board meeting and the balance at home.

The good thing is today is Friday and hopefully over the weekend you can get much needed sleep .

The key is now getting past the fear of not sleeping which is high.

Also, I might get into trouble on here but can you take anything to help you sleep ?

Fair question.  Nobody can truthfully tell me that anything offered up is a safe bet.  Having said that, the pressure builds up at  3 or 4 in the morning and it all seems so tempting.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

3 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

yoga helps me to breathe better and relax more, and has had NO bad effects at all. So why not? ;-)   I only do the easy chair yoga that they have for "old folks" with a tiny bit of standing yoga for balance, nothing on the mat.  The effects are not dramatic, but they are very real and I always feel better  on the weeks I've taken a class. I am sure I'd feel even better if i did it every day- I'm working up to that, because I know enough of the routine I should be able to remember it to do it on my own.

Here's a website with a number of nice videos for seniors. 

https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-seniors

2007 - 2008          Paxil and Klonopin

2008 - 2012           Mirtazapine following CT from Klonopin and Paxil.  

2012                       Unsuccessful taper of mirtazapine; reinstated.     

7/2013 - 1/2014   Successfully tapered mirtazapine from 7.5 mg to 0.00.

Sertraline (Zoloft) Taper  Aug 4, 2017 - July 18, 2021 - Current dose 0.00

Alprazolam (Xanax)  July 19, 2017 - Nov 15, 2021 0.25 mg.

Began 10% taper  Nov 16, 2021 - 0.25  Jan 11, 2022 - 0.203;  Jan 13, 2023 - 0.0499;  Jan 21, 2024 - 0.0137;  Mar 17, 2024 - 0.0099;  Taper is 96% complete.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Frogie said:

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Thanks, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

15 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

I hope you get some rest finally over the weekend. 

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

Andy I'm sorry you are in this difficult wave. As you know, it will end, but it's a bear going thru it nonetheless. 

Thanks for this H2H.  It's always good to hear because it can be hard to see out when you are in the middle.

It was a crap shoot, really, which, if any, of those things were going to help. I took some risks because I felt desperate. 

Yup.  I know the crap shoot/desperate sense all too well.

#2 I read a book about sleep that describes it as a primary drive, and that, regardless of whether we feel like we've slept, or feel rested after sleeping, we all do sleep. Otherwise, we'd literally die. Reading this was a huge relief to me. You are always hearing about how bad lack of sleep is for the body and mind. When most people say they don't sleep, what they really mean is that they don't have any restful or restorative feeling sleep. Sleep studies have also shown that people do not have a good idea of how long they've actually slept. It's often longer than we perceive it to be, even if we've been watching the clock (something I am determined not to do!)

In WD/recovery, it can also be hard to tell being awake from being asleep- we are on such high alert, that going from one state to the other doesn't "register" to us on a conscious level.

This is interesting, H2H.  Do you recall the book title?

So what helped me, but what may not be helpful for anyone else :P is:

#1 not focusing on sleep (hard to do!) and believing that you will get adequate sleep.

#2 Doing some gentle exercise every day- this makes a MUCH bigger difference than ANY of the supplements/substances that I've tried!

#3 yoga.

This is a good list.  Item 1 is really hard.  Especially at 4:30 when your alarm is set at 6.  Ugh.

I also avoid caffeine. I've been able to drink a bit of regular tea but I do better not drinking it all. I forget that chocolate has caffeine.

I have very little caffeine (decaf coffee, chamomile tea, etc.).  I, like you, conveniently "forget" that chocolate has caffeine.  I don't have a lot of that anyway.  And, in a truly diabolical twist of nature, the chocolate that is most healthy for you -- dark chocolate -- is higher in caffeine than lighter chocolates.  

I don't think any of this is news to you Andy but since I saw my name pop up in conversation I thought I'd pop by and let you know I'm thinking of you.

it DOES get better. but you know that too ;-)

As I said, H2H, when you are hurting you like to see others tell you the mantras you live by are correct.  

So thank you.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Sleep update:

Yesterday afternoon went to acupuncture/massage.  When the acupuncturist was putting needles into my right foot I was so tired I started to doze off and, of course, my right leg jerked -- hypnic jerk.  She, of course, thought she had hurt me and apologized.  Too crazy.  After massage I felt like my body was finally calming down a little bit.  I was optimistic about sleep.

As the night progressed I was feeling more and more agitated and thought "there is no way I'm going to sleep."  I took 1 Advil PM at around 10 (label calls for 2 but I get scared -- thought about splitting the pill). I was lying on my couch watching tv and started feeling tired.  In the past I would have gotten up to turn off the TV and do my nighttime rituals (tooth brushing, supplements, etc.).  Instead, I decided I would just remain where I was and not give my body a chance to get aroused.  Next thing I knew it was 4:15 AM and I had slept 4.5 hours.  I went back to sleep on  and off for the next 3 hours (taking the dog out and feeding her in between).  

Then I finally got into my PJs and got into bed and slept another 2 hours.  Total of 9+.  I guess my body was in total capitulation mode.  I woke up very groggy, disoriented and like "WTF just happened?"  But, over the course of the morning/afternoon I have come around to being not too bad.  Still a little wiped but a decent bounce back from an awful several days.  

I appreciate all of you who have had positive thoughts for me over the past couple of days.

We'll see how the next several days go but it feels good to have at least gotten some sleep.

Best,

Andy

That is great Andy! I am relieved.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Martina23 said:

That is great Andy! I am relieved.

Thanks, Martina.  Very sweet of you.

Best,

Andy

12 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Sleep update:

Yesterday afternoon went to acupuncture/massage.  When the acupuncturist was putting needles into my right foot I was so tired I started to doze off and, of course, my right leg jerked -- hypnic jerk.  She, of course, thought she had hurt me and apologized.  Too crazy.  After massage I felt like my body was finally calming down a little bit.  I was optimistic about sleep.

As the night progressed I was feeling more and more agitated and thought "there is no way I'm going to sleep."  I took 1 Advil PM at around 10 (label calls for 2 but I get scared -- thought about splitting the pill). I was lying on my couch watching tv and started feeling tired.  In the past I would have gotten up to turn off the TV and do my nighttime rituals (tooth brushing, supplements, etc.).  Instead, I decided I would just remain where I was and not give my body a chance to get aroused.  Next thing I knew it was 4:15 AM and I had slept 4.5 hours.  I went back to sleep on  and off for the next 3 hours (taking the dog out and feeding her in between).  

Then I finally got into my PJs and got into bed and slept another 2 hours.  Total of 9+.  I guess my body was in total capitulation mode.  I woke up very groggy, disoriented and like "WTF just happened?"  But, over the course of the morning/afternoon I have come around to being not too bad.  Still a little wiped but a decent bounce back from an awful several days.  

I appreciate all of you who have had positive thoughts for me over the past couple of days.

We'll see how the next several days go but it feels good to have at least gotten some sleep.

Best,

Andy

Long may it continue Andy!

Best,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

17 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Sleep update:

Best,

Andy

I'm so glad you got some well deserved sleep. If it takes an Advil PM to give you some sleep, then by all means do it! I'm really happy for you. Hopefully it will continue. 😴😴😴

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Long may it continue Andy!

Thanks, JC.  I appreciate that thought!

Hang in there on the home front.  You're getting hammered so try to find space for yourself amongst all the chaos.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Frogie said:

'm so glad you got some well deserved sleep. If it takes an Advil PM to give you some sleep, then by all means do it!

Thanks, Frogie.  My goal is to use as little (hopefully none) in the way of sleep aids.  We shall see.

Best,

Andy

6 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks, JC.  I appreciate that thought!

Hang in there on the home front.  You're getting hammered so try to find space for yourself amongst all the chaos.

Best,

Andy

Sleeps one of the most precious things we have for healing, so will keep everything crossed that you get plenty of it.....shows how much resolve you have given what a high powered job you're holding down!

Thanks for your support, am trying to stay with so much going on.....but if I follow my Naturopath's guidance I should be ok.  She looks at everything, not just overall health.

Best,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

14 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks, Frogie.  My goal is to use as little (hopefully none) in the way of sleep aids.  We shall see.

Best,

Andy

I completely understand, but if you need it once in a while use it to get some well deserved sleep. I'm the same way! Day 2 of tapering, no nausea. Maybe my body is going to give me a break lol...

Now take a nap 💤💤💤

Take care,

Frogie xx

So glad you were able to get some sleep, Andy!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

So glad you were able to get some sleep, Andy!

Thanks for your support, WR!

Best,

Andy

Whoohoo about sleep I knew this insomnia would pass ☺️  

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Whoohoo about sleep I knew this insomnia would pass ☺️  

Thanks, Blondiee. We’ll see. Just one night so far.  I hope it’s passed. 

Best,

Andy

• Mentor
On 1/19/2018 at 6:14 PM, apace41 said:

This is interesting, H2H.  Do you recall the book title?

Hi I didnt' forget about you, I"m just trying to find it

I *think* it was called "The Sleep Solution", unfortunately when I do a search of that title, I get several different books by different authors and none of them look like the one I read

:/

I got it from the library in the new non fiction section, next time I go, I'll jot down the title and author.
The book did not address what we are going thru in WD/recovery, and there's a chapter at the end of the book that I recommend that you skip. But the science of sleep discussed early on, that seemed to be backed up by solid evidence and I found it very reassuring.

to break all the past associations with poor sleep, I sometimes try to switch things up at bedtime. I know good sleep hygiene says to keep everything consistent, but I feel that, if you consistently have poor sleep and associate it in your mind with a certain room, or bed,  or whatever, it's better to make a change.

For example, sometimes, I will have what seem almost like flash backs to the worst nights of dread and panic that I had over a year ago, and they are stronger when I'm in my bedroom. So for that night, I camp out on the sofa (which is actually better for my back anyway) If I wake up and feel ok to do so, I'll crawl into bed later on that night.

this may be relevant for you, as you skipped getting up and doing your usual bedtime routine and it worked out pretty well for you. Of course you had the added bit of sleep med, but maybe that that slight change made a difference as well? 

I think I'd probably sleep great  if I went to a friend's or relative's house. Just to be away from all the associations from the past 'worst' nights I've had in this house. :/

To break that cycle of dread and worry, you know?

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Happy2Heal said:

this may be relevant for you, as you skipped getting up and doing your usual bedtime routine and it worked out pretty well for you. Of course you had the added bit of sleep med, but maybe that that slight change made a difference as well? 

Not sure, H2H.  The association issue is definitely a problem when you are in the middle of an insomnia "run."  Bed seems like a scary place and there is a sense that "I will never sleep again."  That's the part that needs to be neurally rewired.

Best,

Andy

Sorry you’re not sleeping. Thanks for taking care of my problem although you were probably exhausted. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

• Mentor
35 minutes ago, apace41 said:

there is a sense that "I will never sleep again."  That's the part that needs to be neurally rewired.

Best,

Andy

I hear you!! but I am sure you will, just as I am sure that my sleep will only continue to improve.

;-)

if it helps any, not ONE single fear or worry that I've had during WD/recovery has come true. NOT ONE!

everything I feared would not improve, did.

everything bad thing I imagined would happen, did not happen.

letting go of the fear helped but I wouldn't say it was necessary. it helps to accept where you are, but that's not always easy. and exactly how much it helps, is debatable. 

some days you need to "just be"

37 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Bed seems like a scary place and there is a sense that "I will never sleep again."  That's the part that needs to be neurally rewired

That's the part that DOES need to be re- wired as it's easy to think that in the height of this -but it's just the brain re- wiring and adjusting ~ it gets better.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I found the "Just go for it" attitude to be very helpful. I have spent many a comfortable night on the recliner because to get up and go to bed would have spoiled the delicious feeling just before drifting off.  Keep a throw handy and when the feeling hits, cover up and just go for it.  Monica has had sleep problems for years and has final accepted doing this and it has really helped her.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Downbutnotout said:

Sorry you’re not sleeping. Thanks for taking care of my problem although you were probably exhausted. 

No worries, DBNO. Glad to help.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

f it helps any, not ONE single fear or worry that I've had during WD/recovery has come true. NOT ONE!

everything I feared would not improve, did.

everything bad thing I imagined would happen, did not happen.

Great to hear, H2H.  Really.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, AliG said:

it's easy to think that in the height of this -but it's just the brain re- wiring and adjusting ~ it gets better.

Yes. Agree 100%, Ali.  Working on it.

You are so inspirational.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
50 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Keep a throw handy and when the feeling hits, cover up and just go for it.  Monica has had sleep problems for years and has final accepted doing this and it has really helped her.

It's certainly a way to go at times.  I like to share the bed with my wife but...

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, 2 good nights and then I woke this AM with a horrible head cold — hopefully not the onset of the flu — and spent the whole day sneezing, stuffy, etc.  Trying to sleep in another room but not much success so far.  Definitely feel my system very ramped up but can’t say if it’s a return of the insomnia or the inability to breathe and being in a strange bed. Trying not to be too down about it but it’s not easy.  

I remember the the good old days when sleep was not something I thought twice about. I miss that a lot.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm back in the insomnia soup tonight, too, Andy, so I can sympathize with what you're going through.

I hope your cold gets better soon and you're back to the Withdrawal Normal type of sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Shep said:

I'm back in the insomnia soup tonight, too, Andy, so I can sympathize with what you're going through.

I hope your cold gets better soon and you're back to the Withdrawal Normal type of sleep.

I saw your post and am not interested in your company in withdrawal insomnia!

Thanks for your thoughts. It’s a brutal cold. Hard to breathe and that means no CPAP to which I’ve become accustomed. 

Hopefully, it will clear soon.

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I meant to ask you, why did you have to do the FODMAPS diet and did your GI issue(s) get resolved?

My cookbook has now arrived and so I'm kind of good to go.

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

why did you have to do the FODMAPS diet and did your GI issue(s) get resolved?

Hi, JC.  I was diagnosed with a case SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).  I did the low FODMAPS for a while and it got better albeit not perfect on the next test.  The constipation I was suffering from resolved itself, however, and the diet was a PITA so I have not been following it since then to be honest.  I did that diet for about 3 or 4 months and, when you add it to all the other things I was restricting, I was not very happy so I said... "life is too short -- especially in withdrawal."  It's hard to say if it would be helping me with stuff but I think my system is just completely out of whack until my brain gets itself fixed.  Trying to deal with each issue along the way is reminiscent of the little Dutch boy sticking his finger in the holes in the dike but there is just too much water.

In any event, you have had a lot more IBS issues than I did so it may be worth a couple of months go at it.  Or, perhaps if your life were to settle down a little bit, that might do it also!  B)

Best,

Andy