SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Adili13 said:

Happy to hear your healing is coming along nicely. 

Someone as kind and and thoughtful as you deserve all of the healing in the world. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!!!

Thanks, Anthony.  Very kind words.

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy oops... Apace 41:

Just wondered how you were feeling? Hope much better.

I’m doing well. Been off Lexapro 2 months May 31st. The 1st couple of days were brutal but now I’m actually doing well for everything that’s going on. I know you follow what I post.

I will PM you and let you know everything going on.

Just checking on you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/20/2019 at 10:26 AM, Frogie said:

Just wondered how you were feeling? Hope much better.

Hi, Frogie.  I'm glad you are doing so well.  Very pleased with your progress.

I will answer your question in two parts -- first, as to my hips and second, as to withdrawal.

As to the hips, I'm doing very well.  Still some soreness and the legs get tired easily if I push them, but I'm seeing positive signs.  This past weekend I was at my daughter's college graduation and walked all over the place and then moved her stuff out of her apartment, drove 8.5 hours home and moved stuff from her car to our house.  I was tired but I figure if I can do that I'm pretty far along in terms of recovery.  Now it's time to rebuild strength and range of motion so I can really start some targeted exercise to release endorphins, etc.  That recovery is on track (actually pretty far ahead of anticipated schedule).

I wish that withdrawal recovery was moving in the right direction at the same speed, but... a much more challenging process I'm afraid.  I am still dealing with a lot of symptoms resulting from a central nervous system that has taken quite a beating over the past several years.  Chief complaints remain:

• insomnia -- I go through periods of zero sleep nights and will have several "bad" nights in a row (2-4 hours).  For the most part I get like 5-6.5 hours of sleep on most nights and while that is not optimal it certainly keeps me functional.  I'd love to see sleep really start to return to "normal" levels (for me I think that is 6.5 - 7.5 hours).
  • dizziness -- I remain "wobbly" and "unstable" on a pretty regular basis.  It seems to be highly correlated with stress and I'm working on learning not to attach too much significance to the feelings.  The difficulty, however, is that balance is one of our core needs so that the sense of imbalance tends to result in somewhat "hard wired" fear response.  It can be unlearned but it takes a lot of work and time.
  • detachment -- whether called dissociation, depersonalization, derealization or something else, the sense that you are an observer in your own life and that things are just happening around you (with you playing a role by rote) is difficult at times.  It tends to ebb and flow and when it is at it's worst it is rather disconcerting.  Another symptom that is challenging to learn to deal with and accept.
  • anxiety -- I was never a really anxious person, although I did have some underlying tendencies regarding health anxieties.  During this process I have seen a significant amplification of these anxieties despite understanding cognitively that they are illogical.  For example, as I said above I moved a lot of boxes in the past several days and had been largely sedentary for a while recovering from the hip surgery.  So, it is HIGHLY LOGICAL that I would have a lot of body pain today.  Nevertheless, when O got the shooting pains between my shoulder blades rather than say, "ah, I overdid it on the lifting" a part of me ruminates on other health issues, "could this be my heart?" for example.  I never had those kind of thought patterns while on the meds but  they are rampant now after getting off the benzo and off 88% of the A/D.
  • body pain -- I get shooting pains all over my body from my chest to my arms, head, legs, and back.  Shoulders and elbows are not great either.  If I wanted a diagnosis of fibromyalgia I'm confident I could get one.  I recognize, however, that this is the product of a hyperstimulated nervous system and won't fully subside until the system has been able to fully settle down.

So, I continue to hold at 12.5mg of sertraline as I hope that over time my system will repair and catch up to where it is supposed to be.  I am fortunate in that I am still able to work a high-level stressful legal job and have not suffered (to my knowledge -- others might differ) any meaningful cognitive impairment.  I am confident that pushing myself at work serves to slow the recovery process (it would be easier on a desert island with a chef), but I don't have a real choice and think the overall benefits to me of working are worth the stress on the CNS it occasionally provides.

I continue to repeat the mantra -- "we all heal" -- but, to be perfectly honest, at some times it is harder to believe than at other times.

One of these days I hope to be able to jump on the site and report that I've seen some serious symptom abatement.  Alas, today is not yet that day.

Thanks for asking, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

@apace41 Pulling for you, Andy.  At least your surgery recovery is going well.  Congratulations on your daughter's graduation.  

Your level of functioning is amazing.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
Just now, Gridley said:

Pulling for you, Andy.  At least your surgery recovery is going well.  Congratulations on your daughter's graduation.  

Your level of functioning is amazing.

Thanks on all counts, Gridley.

One foot in front of the other.

Best,

Andy

1 hour ago, apace41 said:

Hi, Frogie.  I'm glad you are doing so well.  Very pleased with your progress.

I will answer your question in two parts -- first, as to my hips and second, as to withdrawal.

As to the hips, I'm doing very well.  Still some soreness and the legs get tired easily if I push them, but I'm seeing positive signs.  This past weekend I was at my daughter's college graduation and walked all over the place and then moved her stuff out of her apartment, drove 8.5 hours home and moved stuff from her car to our house.  I was tired but I figure if I can do that I'm pretty far along in terms of recovery.  Now it's time to rebuild strength and range of motion so I can really start some targeted exercise to release endorphins, etc.  That recovery is on track (actually pretty far ahead of anticipated schedule).

I wish that withdrawal recovery was moving in the right direction at the same speed, but... a much more challenging process I'm afraid.  I am still dealing with a lot of symptoms resulting from a central nervous system that has taken quite a beating over the past several years.  Chief complaints remain:

• insomnia -- I go through periods of zero sleep nights and will have several "bad" nights in a row (2-4 hours).  For the most part I get like 5-6.5 hours of sleep on most nights and while that is not optimal it certainly keeps me functional.  I'd love to see sleep really start to return to "normal" levels (for me I think that is 6.5 - 7.5 hours).
  • dizziness -- I remain "wobbly" and "unstable" on a pretty regular basis.  It seems to be highly correlated with stress and I'm working on learning not to attach too much significance to the feelings.  The difficulty, however, is that balance is one of our core needs so that the sense of imbalance tends to result in somewhat "hard wired" fear response.  It can be unlearned but it takes a lot of work and time.
  • detachment -- whether called dissociation, depersonalization, derealization or something else, the sense that you are an observer in your own life and that things are just happening around you (with you playing a role by rote) is difficult at times.  It tends to ebb and flow and when it is at it's worst it is rather disconcerting.  Another symptom that is challenging to learn to deal with and accept.
  • anxiety -- I was never a really anxious person, although I did have some underlying tendencies regarding health anxieties.  During this process I have seen a significant amplification of these anxieties despite understanding cognitively that they are illogical.  For example, as I said above I moved a lot of boxes in the past several days and had been largely sedentary for a while recovering from the hip surgery.  So, it is HIGHLY LOGICAL that I would have a lot of body pain today.  Nevertheless, when O got the shooting pains between my shoulder blades rather than say, "ah, I overdid it on the lifting" a part of me ruminates on other health issues, "could this be my heart?" for example.  I never had those kind of thought patterns while on the meds but  they are rampant now after getting off the benzo and off 88% of the A/D.
  • body pain -- I get shooting pains all over my body from my chest to my arms, head, legs, and back.  Shoulders and elbows are not great either.  If I wanted a diagnosis of fibromyalgia I'm confident I could get one.  I recognize, however, that this is the product of a hyperstimulated nervous system and won't fully subside until the system has been able to fully settle down.

So, I continue to hold at 12.5mg of sertraline as I hope that over time my system will repair and catch up to where it is supposed to be.  I am fortunate in that I am still able to work a high-level stressful legal job and have not suffered (to my knowledge -- others might differ) any meaningful cognitive impairment.  I am confident that pushing myself at work serves to slow the recovery process (it would be easier on a desert island with a chef), but I don't have a real choice and think the overall benefits to me of working are worth the stress on the CNS it occasionally provides.

I continue to repeat the mantra -- "we all heal" -- but, to be perfectly honest, at some times it is harder to believe than at other times.

One of these days I hope to be able to jump on the site and report that I've seen some serious symptom abatement.  Alas, today is not yet that day.

Thanks for asking, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

Andy:

I’m so glad that you are having great success with your hip replacement surgery. You are so much further along than I ever expected. To walk all those miles at a graduation and then move an apartment is beyond belief. I’m very happy for you.

But, on the same note, I was really wishing you had better news with your wd/tapering. You have had a lot of problems with that since you took me under your wing. I don’t know how you carry all the weight of everyone’s problems, and have a very stressful job on top of everyday life. I admire you for your strength in this.

Believe me, I say the same mantra everyday also, We will heal. I’m not perfect by any means, but doing really well for going through what I am right now.

You WILL get there. I never thought I would and I did. Now onto the Xanax taper. But if I can get through the horrible Lexapro, Xanax should be a breeze lol...

I’m wishing you nothing but the best, Andy. You are in my thoughts.

Again, I greatly appreciate everything you do and continue to do for me and everyone on this site.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your kind words, Frogie.  It means a lot.

Best,

Andy

18 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks for your kind words, Frogie.  It means a lot.

Best,

Andy

I mean every word Andy.

You have helped me so much, I don’t know how I would have ever gotten through it without you and a few other mods helping too.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Keep me posted. I’ll check back.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy:

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. 

Was wondering how you were doing?

I hope you are doing well. 😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, Frogie said:

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. 

Was wondering how you were doing?

I hope you are doing well. 😊

Thanks for checking in, Frogie.  Very sweet of you.

Unfortunately, I can't report any real improvement as I seem to be stuck in the same pattern I have been in for a very long time (see my May 21 post and it is all pretty much the same (at times seemingly worse but that's probably battle fatigue in large measure).  After an 8 month + hold at 12.5mg in a 1/2 a pill form, I have decided to add .4ml  of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg which is roughly 3.75mg of sertraline).  The thinking is that sertraline may have stopped being as effective for me but that I might benefit by boosting my serotonin level which might allow me to stabilize better and then taper off the Sertraline (effectively crossing over to Prozac) and then, once more settled, taper off the Prozac.  It's the early stages (started on Friday) and I can't really see much difference but I'm trying to find an answer as I'm very frustrated at this point.  Objectively, I have a wonderful life.  Now all I need is my brain/body to straighten out so that I can enjoy it!

On the positive side, the hips are really not much of an issue 4 months post-op. I have some tightness in my hip flexors from time to time, but I don't really feel limited in my use of my legs.

Best,

Andy

1 minute ago, apace41 said:

Thanks for checking in, Frogie.  Very sweet of you.

Unfortunately, I can't report any real improvement as I seem to be stuck in the same pattern I have been in for a very long time (see my May 21 post and it is all pretty much the same (at times seemingly worse but that's probably battle fatigue in large measure).  After an 8 month + hold at 12.5mg in a 1/2 a pill form, I have decided to add .4ml  of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg which is roughly 3.75mg of sertraline).  The thinking is that sertraline may have stopped being as effective for me but that I might benefit by boosting my serotonin level which might allow me to stabilize better and then taper off the Sertraline (effectively crossing over to Prozac) and then, once more settled, taper off the Prozac.  It's the early stages (started on Friday) and I can't really see much difference but I'm trying to find an answer as I'm very frustrated at this point.  Objectively, I have a wonderful life.  Now all I need is my brain/body to straighten out so that I can enjoy it!

On the positive side, the hips are really not much of an issue 4 months post-op. I have some tightness in my hip flexors from time to time, but I don't really feel limited in my use of my legs.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t improving any. I was really hoping you were doing better as you hadn’t posted in a while. But I only post once a month or so. 

I really hope that the Prozac works for you. Maybe you can stabilize on it since it is longer lasting and you can then taper off the Zoloft. 

I’m glad your hips are doing better. That is wonderful news. I’m sure you feel better about that.

You do have a wonderful life, you are very lucky to have that. I will eventually. We are moving this weekend! But it’s a mess with my fiancé’s work here, blah, blah, blah lol... it will straighten out though.

I was just thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy,

I've had a moment to catch up on your situation and wanted to say I'm also hoping the best for you as you look at the Prozac crossover.  It's a blessing that you've not noticed any real cognitive issues, especially given the type of work you do.  Some days, I'm sure I notice such issues but since I'm retired, it's not as critical - assuming that is, that we all will eventually heal.

Praying for you that things begin to improve and you find your successful  path through this journey. 💜

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

Hi Andy,

I have been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing.  I really hope the Prozac switch helps you gain some stability and then allows for a smooth taper off.  

I am so pleased for you that everything is going well with your hips....that must feel wonderful after having so much pain.

Best wishes,

Michele

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Frogie said:

I was just thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Thanks again, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41
eliminate merge

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

I have been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing.  I really hope the Prozac switch helps you gain some stability and then allows for a smooth taper off.  

I am so pleased for you that everything is going well with your hips....that must feel wonderful after having so much pain.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, WR.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
34 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Praying for you that things begin to improve and you find your successful  path through this journey. 💜

Thanks for your visit and good wishes, mdwstrx.

Best,

Andy

7 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks again, Frogie.

Best,

Andy

You are very welcome.

Don't know what I would do without you.

I don't know how to begin to ever thank you 😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy,

Hang in there, sir. Good news about the hips, not-so-good news about the withdrawal sxs. After an 8 month hold, I am sure things feel interminable. I hope it all levels out for you soon. You are a force-for-good, and I do not doubt in the least you'll get there.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, ten0275 said:

Hang in there, sir. Good news about the hips, not-so-good news about the withdrawal sxs. After an 8 month hold, I am sure things feel interminable. I hope it all levels out for you soon. You are a force-for-good, and I do not doubt in the least you'll get there.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.  If it were only the 8 months I'd probably be less frustrated, but given that I started my journey off psych meds in 2012 with the benzo, "interminable" seems about right.

All I can do is keep trying to find the right set of variables to get through this -- with the belief/hope that healing is happening under the surface as I go and that one day this will be in the rear view mirror.

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41

• Moderator Emeritus
42 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Don't know what I would do without you.

I don't know how to begin to ever thank you 😊

Frogie,

I only gave you some guidance and support.  YOU did the work.  Be proud of you for where you are.

Best,

Andy

Just now, apace41 said:

Frogie,

I only gave you some guidance and support.  YOU did the work.  Be proud of you for where you are.

Best,

Andy

Working on it, but I couldn't have done it without you "holding my hand".

Don't go anywhere, I'm sure I'll need you with this Xanax taper at some point.

I wish I could be one of the lucky one's I read on here that they just quit it. But no such luck :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand, Andy. You've hit one of those roadblocks on the path. My full journey was a long-runner like yours. In fact, it seems we started about the same time. I was polydrugged w/ benzodiazapines and the mirtazapine and it all started falling apart in February 2012. I was not enlightened to proper withdrawing in those days by any stretch, it took a lot of time to get things to fall into place, into a steady, more predictable and stable pattern.

I'm really hoping that .4ml of liquid Prozac gives you some stability. I have to think it is just a matter of time before you find that footing again.

Thanks again for all you do here. You've been an inspiration to me countless times.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Hey Andy,

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling. It has certainly been a brutally long journey for you. I hope adding the bit of Prozac helps you to stabilize so you can begin to taper again. I have a feeling that in the next year or two things will be drastically different for you in your journey. 

Anthony 

2008: start Lexapro 10 mg which is quickly upped to 20 mg. 2008:2013 try at least four individual times to get off Lexapro, never get lower than 5mg, settle at 15 mg. 2015: again, attempt to get off Lexapro and get to 5 mg. After 6 months, feel i'm stabilizing but go back on a higher dose because of one stressful event. 2016: go to 20 mg from 15 mg due to work stresses, hit severe tolerance for the first time and become very suicidal. 2016-2017: try viibryd and cymbata in an attempt to feel better. Also add Lamictal 150 at some point. 2017: eventually land on paxil 37.5 and Lamictal 150. January 2018: cut paxil to 25. April-July 2018: reduce Lamictal in 50 mg increments till im off August. 2018: reduce paxil to 20 mg. december 2018: dropped Paxil to 18 mg, SEVERE CRASH. March updosed to 20 mg April 11: dropped to 19.4 mg due to akathsia (still experiencing akathsia symptoms from updose) April 20: 19 mg Paxil May 4: 18.7 Paxil July 5: 18.2 July 12: 17.8 Aug 19: 17.5 Aug 26: 17.3 Oct 20: 17.1 Nov 3: 16.9, 8/17/20: 16.6 after nine month hold, 8/24/20: 16.4, 8/31/20:16.2, 9/14/2020: 16.0, 9/21/20: 15.8, 9/28/20: 15.6, 10/19/20:15.4, 10/26/20: 15.2, 11/2/20: 15.1, 11/7/20: 14.8, 3/6/2-: 14.5, 3/20/20: 14.3, 4/3/20: 13.9, 4/10/2021: 13.7. 4/21/21: 13.5, 5/5/2021: 13.1, 12.2 8/12/2021 (slowly microtapered to this number. I just can’t remember the exact dates), 11.8 9/6/2021, 11.6 9/13/21, 11.2 9/27/21, 11.1 9/30/21.....11/5/21 switched to 10 mg tablet. I am holding to stabilize for the foreseeable future. 3/25/22: 9.4, 5/6/22: 9.0, 5/30/22: 8.25, 6/7/22: 8.1, 7/722: 7.65, 8/16/22: 7.39, 9/22/22: 6.91, 10/1/22: 6.78

Medication signature.docx

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, ten0275 said:

My full journey was a long-runner like yours. In fact, it seems we started about the same time. I was polydrugged w/ benzodiazapines and the mirtazapine and it all started falling apart in February 2012. I was not enlightened to proper withdrawing in those days by any stretch, it took a lot of time to get things to fall into place, into a steady, more predictable and stable pattern.

You seem to have done very well, Dave.  Your graph went lower than mine to begin but higher than mine at this point.  I hope to get to where you are at some point before I'm old and decrepit (I feel like I am now).

5 hours ago, ten0275 said:

Thanks again for all you do here. You've been an inspiration to me countless times.

Thanks for saying that.

Best,

Andy

5 hours ago, Adili13 said:

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling. It has certainly been a brutally long journey for you. I hope adding the bit of Prozac helps you to stabilize so you can begin to taper again. I have a feeling that in the next year or two things will be drastically different for you in your journey. 

Thanks, Anthony.  Much appreciated.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Adili13 said:

Thanks very much, Anthony.

Best,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 8:36 AM, apace41 said:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.  If it were only the 8 months I'd probably be less frustrated, but given that I started my journey off psych meds in 2012 with the benzo, "interminable" seems about right.

All I can do is keep trying to find the right set of variables to get through this -- with the belief/hope that healing is happening under the surface as I go and that one day this will be in the rear view mirror.

Best,

Andy

Hey there Andy,

You are a shining example of perseverance and grit, and one day your reward will arrive.  I hope that day comes soon!

Pulling for you as always,

pug

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus
28 minutes ago, pug said:

one day your reward will arrive.  I hope that day comes soon!

From your lips to G-d's ears, Pug.  

You are a good man to continue to come back to provide encouragement to the members.  I am heartened to hear that you continue to improve. I know you thought you were further along than you were when you first came back, but I imagine that simply means you are doing even more healing than you thought you would!

Best,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hey Apace-- haven't seen you around much lately, hope everything is okay.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 9/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, brassmonkey said:

Hey Apace-- haven't seen you around much lately, hope everything is okay.

Hey, Tom.  Thanks for checking in.  I've had it on my calendar for 2 weeks to respond to your inquiry since I really appreciate your concern.  The fact that I haven't responded should provide you with the backdrop for understanding that work has been extremely busy and my motivation levels have not increased enough to give me the energy to sit down and pound out the response you deserve. 

Suffice it to say that I've been hanging in there albeit still dealing with the myriad symptoms I describe in my earlier posts.  My hips have healed pretty well but I have a lot of tightness in the quads, hamstrings and hip flexors. I'm not sure if that's surgery based or another gift of withdrawal.

Long story short, I keep myself busy with work and home, and I never really feel all that well (dizziness, dp/dr and anxiety (particularly health) seem to be the symptoms are with me the most and frustrate me the most), but every once in a while I get the slightest glimmer of a more positive feeling.  I'm hoping that is a harbinger of things to come.

Hope you and Monica are well.

Thanks again for checking in.

Best,

Andy

• 5 months later...

Hello Sir!

Been a while. I'm just checking in to see how life is treating you? How's the taper progressing?

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Sertramean said:

Been a while. I'm just checking in to see how life is treating you? How's the taper progressing?

Thanks for the check-in, Sertramean.  Without going into lurid detail, I've been on a very long hold (more than a year) in the hopes of stabilizing.  I'm 88% off my original dose of the SSRI and figured I was in a zone where I had done some decent harm reduction and it was a good time to see if I could start to feel well before continuing.  I've been very up and down over that period.  I continue to work at a demanding job and do all the other things I always did -- I just struggle more and seem to frequently enjoy them less.  There are still a fair amount of symptoms which I've detailed earlier in my thread.  I'm not suggesting it's all bad, but I have a sense of being stuck in a holding pattern which makes me consider restarting the taper. 

For the most part, I'm worn out from the journey, pissed about being here and trying to keep a decent attitude (and failing from time to time to be honest).  I do acknowledge, however, that I was on both a benzo and an SSRI and on both for 20+ years so challenges are to be expected unfortunately.

At some point I will give a more detailed update as some things have definitely improved (I rarely have zero sleep nights and usually get between 5 and 6.5 hours, with the occasional 7 or 7.5 sprinkled in).  However, most of it feels very much like Groundhog Day.  Keeping faith about healing is a massive challenge.

Oh, and with the economic fallout from Covid-19, it looks like I'll be working forever.

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Andy

It's incredible you're still functioning in a demanding job - and an indicator of your resilience. Holding seems the sensible way forward and I'm sure it will improve. I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself. 

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Sert.  I see Rovers are firmly esconced in the middle of the table.  Any talk of cancelling games or playing in empty stadiums?  The college and professional leagues here in the States are closing up one after another.  Another casualty of a horrific situation.

There is talk of cancelling games but the thinking is everyone will just go to the pub and watch it there, where the chance of spread is far greater. I see a Juventus player has tested positive so it may be the players that eventually contract it and lead to cancellations, rather than the fans. Like your country (is Trump actually real!!?), we've been slow to react.  I see you've now cancelled the NBA? Ireland have just closed all schools and colleges. Our PM in the UK just tells us to wash our hands. I think that will have to change as the death toll increases. I have elderly parents and I'm really scared for them.

I see you're near the epicentre of the US outbreak. Has normal life changed a lot for you because of it? 

Rovers are doing OK, but we keep bottling it when we get near the play-off positions (6th place in the table). 

I see share dealing on Wall Street is suspended again. It's carnage out there!

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Sertramean said:

I see you're near the epicentre of the US outbreak. Has normal life changed a lot for you because of it? 

It's hard to find a true "epicentre."  Ground zero here in the US was in Kirkland, WA in the far west of the country where a nursing home has been decimated and there has been significant community spread.  It is spreading and it will be hard to contain to be honest.  It's very scary stuff when you start to see people hunkering down and things getting shuttered.  Italy may well be a precursor of what many countries will go through.  The global markets are really in turmoil.

Not good for anyone but all of us with "fragile" nervous systems are going to have to make a conscious effort to keep things as calm as possible.

Best,

Andy

• 6 months later...

Hey Andy. I see you’ve been on 12.5 mg or half a pill for a good amount of time. I’m getting ready to settle at a pill and a half of paroxetine, which is a ten mg pill and half of another ten mg pill. I’m wondering how you get a close split, or do you not really worry about this. I’ve got a scale and when I weigh the different halves they’re different every time. Sometimes as much as .5 mg, but more often .2 .3 or .1. I’d love to know if you have any thoughts on this matter. 

Thanks

2008: start Lexapro 10 mg which is quickly upped to 20 mg. 2008:2013 try at least four individual times to get off Lexapro, never get lower than 5mg, settle at 15 mg. 2015: again, attempt to get off Lexapro and get to 5 mg. After 6 months, feel i'm stabilizing but go back on a higher dose because of one stressful event. 2016: go to 20 mg from 15 mg due to work stresses, hit severe tolerance for the first time and become very suicidal. 2016-2017: try viibryd and cymbata in an attempt to feel better. Also add Lamictal 150 at some point. 2017: eventually land on paxil 37.5 and Lamictal 150. January 2018: cut paxil to 25. April-July 2018: reduce Lamictal in 50 mg increments till im off August. 2018: reduce paxil to 20 mg. december 2018: dropped Paxil to 18 mg, SEVERE CRASH. March updosed to 20 mg April 11: dropped to 19.4 mg due to akathsia (still experiencing akathsia symptoms from updose) April 20: 19 mg Paxil May 4: 18.7 Paxil July 5: 18.2 July 12: 17.8 Aug 19: 17.5 Aug 26: 17.3 Oct 20: 17.1 Nov 3: 16.9, 8/17/20: 16.6 after nine month hold, 8/24/20: 16.4, 8/31/20:16.2, 9/14/2020: 16.0, 9/21/20: 15.8, 9/28/20: 15.6, 10/19/20:15.4, 10/26/20: 15.2, 11/2/20: 15.1, 11/7/20: 14.8, 3/6/2-: 14.5, 3/20/20: 14.3, 4/3/20: 13.9, 4/10/2021: 13.7. 4/21/21: 13.5, 5/5/2021: 13.1, 12.2 8/12/2021 (slowly microtapered to this number. I just can’t remember the exact dates), 11.8 9/6/2021, 11.6 9/13/21, 11.2 9/27/21, 11.1 9/30/21.....11/5/21 switched to 10 mg tablet. I am holding to stabilize for the foreseeable future. 3/25/22: 9.4, 5/6/22: 9.0, 5/30/22: 8.25, 6/7/22: 8.1, 7/722: 7.65, 8/16/22: 7.39, 9/22/22: 6.91, 10/1/22: 6.78

Medication signature.docx