SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

Hello Andy, I hope you are doing as well as can be.  I just started reading your posts and saw you had once had burning mouth syndrome.  I have it too, and I believe it is caused by the amitriptyline I am currently tapering.  Do you still have it?  Wondering if you have any insight in what may have caused it for you, if you think it was related to a particular drug or as a withdrawal symptom.  All the best to you ...

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Bijay.  

Sorry to hear you are suffering with the BMS.  It's a pretty nasty symptom.  Thankfully, I dealt with that on and off for about 3 or 4 months as I recall and it faded away.  I had one or two episodes of it for a day or two subsequently, but I haven't really needed to deal with it very much since that first episode.  As far as what causes it, I believe it is a stress/anxiety symptom that comes about as a result of the brain/body reaction to the withdrawal of the medication.  As the body is thrown into fight or flight by withdrawing the meds, some people will have their autonomic nervous systems essentially "hijacked" and will suffer high levels of anxiety.  BMS is a well-documented anxiety symptom among those that are knowledgable about anxiety.  Go to anxietycentre.com where it is further discussed.

There are things you can do to alleviate some of the discomfort, such certain rinses and washes, and event using hot pepper to neutralize the discomfort, but at the end of the day, once the body's stress declines it frequently will simply go away.

Hope that helps and best of luck with it.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy, thanks for your fast response.  I am so glad you do not have to deal with this symptom anymore.  I am fairly certain in my case it is drug-induced, as it disappeared when I first tapered off the amitriptyline, but unfortunately that first taper was too fast and I had to start the drug again.  It returned with a vengeance, along with extremely dry mouth.   I’ve read that others here have gotten it as a result of taking an AD, or experience it during withdrawal.  

Your experience gives me hope that this may improve as I get off this drug.  Thanks  so so much!

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

• Moderator Emeritus

Fair enough, bijay.  It sounds like you have a good basis to tie it directly to the medicine.  If that is the case I would think there would be an even higher likelihood that it will go away once you are off and settled.  I think there is no logical basis for a "structural change" to the nerves in the mouth so it would make sense it is being caused, in some manner, by misfiring neurons.  Assuming that is the case, the plasticity of the brain should allow for healing of that issue over time.  How much time?  Nobody can say.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy, I do think there are a couple of ways the amitriptyline may be a culprit - first by its anticholinergic effects of drying out mucous membranes and reducing salivary flow.  (Dry mouth can be a cause of BMS.). Amitriptyline is also neurotoxic, at least according to one study I’ve seen.  But I think any pain, regardless of the original cause, is exacerbated by anxiety and vice versa, and thus the cycle goes round.  I do meditate and am starting TRE (Trauma Release Exercises) but those are more for coping through the withdrawal.  

All the best.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @apace41

I hope you're doing ok 🙏

I was reading your story today and was wondering if you would agree to share how you're doing these days ?

Are you still holding 12.5mg Sertraline + 1.5mg Prozac or are you tapering ?

If you're still holding, are you seeing improvements as time passes ?

No pressure to answer, it's perfectly fine if you dont want to 😉

Sending my best wishes !

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Erell said:

Hello @apace41

I hope you're doing ok 🙏

Thanks for asking, Erell.  You are really a very sweet human.  Your posts are always so thoughtful and considerate.  The world needs more of people like you.  How could I refuse to respond to someone asking so nicely?  LOL.

The short answer is you prompted me to update my signature.  The Prozac effort added nothing to the mix for me and I slowly tapered off once I realized it wasn't going to do anything for me (at least not at low levels and I wasn't going to higher ones).

I remain in the holding pattern at 12.5mg of Sertraline.  I kind of feel like at that level the harm of the drugs is pretty low and, while I would love to taper off of the balance of the med, I would love to get into a better place in order to do so. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not incapacitated and I know how difficult things are for so many on this board.  I maintain a very challenging job and continue to do well at it. I've been fortunate that my cognitive skills have been largely unscathed from all of this.  I am able to socialize with friends although I don't enjoy it as much as I used to most of the time.  In fact, I can do almost everything I've always done -- I just don't enjoy it or cherish it as much as I used to.  I think I am slowly seeing some increased moments of joy and awe which is what I really hope to continue to cultivate.  I think the years of self-study and self-soothing techniques have allowed me to be more in touch with myself than I ever was -- it's just a matter of mood improvement.  Some of the mood issues are undoubtedly from what Shep would call "battle fatigue".  I've been at this almost a decade and it's exhausting (as we all know). I do continue to have more specific issues primarily with:

• disordered sleeping (a lot better than it was but still some pretty bad nights with some better ones mixed in); 
  • unpredictable anxiety -- manifesting in both mental and physical symptoms (the physical ones seem to rotate around the body and with a health sensitivity it can be challenging) which include dizziness and body pain; and
  • periodic waves of depression (not very often but once in a while and that can be hard to ride through but I do it).

So, overall, and you may have gotten more than you asked for, I am doing reasonably well, remain optimistic that neuroplasticity will improve my situation as I roll forward, I am frustrated by how long the process takes, and I'm doing my best to try to live my life without regard to withdrawal, stress, anxiety, etc.  Sometime easier said than done.

Sorry if this is rambling stream of consciousness, but that's how the spirit moved me!

Thanks again for asking.

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Andy. Is your job still sometimes stressful?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Good to hear from you, Andy. Is your job still sometimes stressful?

Thanks for checking in, Alto.  Yes -- from time to time it can get pretty stressful.  I've been doing it for a long time so I'm pretty good at dealing with it all, but there are still moments when it can get a little hairy.

When I think of the stress points in my life, however, that is probably on the lower end.  I'm fortunate in that regard.

How have you been?  You've done very well on the speaking circuit.  MIA is lucky to have procured your services!

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

Thanks, Andy. I'm doing okay. I need to polish my delivery 🙂

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks, Andy. I'm doing okay. I need to polish my delivery 🙂

I can't speak for the more formal speeches you may be giving, Alto, but in the panel discussions and town hall type settings I think your "this is what I've seen and know" delivery plays very well.  I like when the folks with lots of letters after their names defer to you -- I say "I know her really well!"

LOL,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Andy :)

Well, I don't know if I'm a particularly sweet human, to be honest I feel 'normal' and rather wonder how people manage to live in such an agressive environnement...but that's another story about our mad world 😉

Thank you deeply for agreeing to answer  : it's always so interesting to read how people travel their own stabilisation journey.

I understand very well the will to taper and the patience to get to a better place before doing so.

You're quite an impressive human, being able to maintain a high demanding job while dealing with WD, thank you for being such an inspiration!

I often wonder if this unability to enjoy things we used to is just about WD and battle fatigue, or also a sign that we need changes, that we evolved and our needs or interests too.

Probably both, in my view.

Well while I understand really well the battle fatigue about this process (hello fellow, started my tapers in 2014 ;) ), I try to find comfort in the fact that we are taking the lowest doses we have in years ! ☺

(Hmm I can feel that this sentence is not right in English, didn't manage to find another one!).

Take care dear Andy, and thank you for all your nice words in this community!

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, apace41 said:

You are really a very sweet human. 

4 hours ago, Erell said:

You're quite an impressive human,

I see what you did there, Erell!  😉

Thanks for your kind words.  We are all just "works in progress" and I hope your progress, as well as mine, gets us to the place where we all want to be -- healed and just able to live life.

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

It's all true, Andy. We 💚 you.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We 💚 you.

Awww.  Thanks, Alto.  ❤️

@apace41

The type of work/company you are associated with is very strenuous even for a “normal “ person (however “normal” is defined). I really admire how through your work, your journey with all of this, and life outside of work, you always have time for kind words, knowledge, advice, and encouragement for everyone on here.

Like @Altostratasaid, we 💙you here!

Thanks for everything you’ve done/do for me. You have no idea how I appreciate you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Frogie.

Much appreciated.

Best,

Andy

Thinking of you, Andy.  The anxiety and depression you describe is very familiar to me.  I have seen a lot of that lessen considerably for me.  I’m hopeful that the tapering you have done (and being able to keep your job) will mean that you will end up better off overall, but I know the day to day is hard.  — Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Rosetta said:

The anxiety and depression you describe is very familiar to me.  I have seen a lot of that lessen considerably for me.

Thanks, Rosetta.  I'm thrilled to hear you are seeing a lessening of the discomfort (for you and all of us)!

1 hour ago, Rosetta said:

I’m hopeful that the tapering you have done (and being able to keep your job) will mean that you will end up better off overall, but I know the day to day is hard.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.  If you think that lots of people pay good money to ride rollercoasters, all they really need to do is try to get off these drugs!  LOL.

Be well,

Andy

• 3 months later...

@apace41

Just wanted to drop by and see how you are doing? 

Hope we’ll.

Take care,

Frogie xx 

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

@apace41I’m impressed by your can do spirit, your strength, and optimism. Keep up the good work!   

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly