Sarasmiles' Lexapro Withdrawal

Sarasmiles

Hi Sara, just stopping in to check on you, still feeling pretty well? One never knows with silence in WD, could be a great sign or could be a terrible sign. Hope it's a great sign in your case! I am OK, a little down and not highly motivated but realize it could be so much worse. The time change always kicks my butt, but it's worse in this condition. Who came up with that crazy notion anyway?? Aeroman posted an encouraging and uplifting post from someone else you might like to read - a success story - if you get a chance.

Take care,

Rachel

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sarasmiles

• clearday

• Dane22

• Prestorb

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Rachel, thanks for checking on me!!  To be honest, I haven't been posting because I get stressed out when I come here and see that other people think I'm not doing this right.  It's not that I don't appreciate the feedback, but sometimes it undermines my confidence and optimism, and I needed to take a break for a few days.

I'm doing well.  A little dizzy at times, late in the day, but nothing too bad. My mood is stable and I feel calm. Just tired.

I'm sorry you've been down.  I was looking for your intro thread but didn't see it. I'll look again.  Hang in there!

Hi Sara, good to hear back from you and glad you are doing well overall! I understand completely about taking a break, especially if you are feeling judged. I personally tend to read a lot more than I post. The dizziness and fatigue sound perfectly typical, I am tired often too. It seems our bodies need a lot of extra rest in this process.

I see you found my thread, thanks for stopping by to wish me well, I appreciate that and I really hope you continue to feel relatively good! Spring is coming and that always makes me happy - my favorite time of the year!

Take care,

Rachel

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Sarasmiles. Thank you for sharing. Please keep posting, id like to follow your progress.

I already went cold turkey before finding this site, so I'm not doing it by the book. What I need from this site is the ability to be honest. I'm not honest with my psychiatrist anymore because, as evidenced by past visits, she wants to change my medications. I simply need to type what I'm going through, read what others are going through and to know im not alone.

Your post about alcohol and AD...dead on. That is me. In preparation for my brain chemistry to reset itself, I'm already prepping for the lows. I have a psychotherapist, a plan to stay away from mood altering substances (alchohol, sugar, caffeine, et cetera). Each time life got tough, I found I would drink when I was off my AD medications. I would drink for awhile then return to my AD thinking that life is better sober on AD than being drunk.

So, I am sober. And happy for it. I will do anything to be free of AD. All I can do is have a plan this time, follow through on it and reach out.

I look forward to reading about your journey.

September 2013. Diagnosed depression/anxiety. Start Prozac 10mg and slowly increase to 40mg.

October 2013. Lorazepam 0.5mg prescribed for anxiety after complaining about nervous energy

November 2013. prescribed a sleeping pill (name?) for insomnia. took once. ineffective.

January to June 2014. psychiatrist agrees to lower dose to 15 mg due to side effects.

August 2014 first attempt to quit cold turkey Lasted August 1, 2014 until October 1, 2014

November 2014 second attempt to quit cold turkey lasted Novemember 4, 2014 until Jan 13, 2015

January 2015 3rd attempt to quit cold turkey lasted feb 3, 2015 until feb 23, 2015

March 5, 2015 4th attempt to quit cold turkey.

Thank you so much Rachel and Dane22.  So glad to hear you are sober, Dane22!  Our brains definitely don't need any more abuse.  I think the whole process of going off of ADs has been helping me stay motivated and clear about not wanting to drink. I really do envision my brain healing and don't want any more toxins in it.   I think about sleep in this way, too.  Every night when I go to bed, I feel grateful for the healing that I believe will go on while I sleep!

I have some hope and faith that the things I am doing differently during this withdrawal will make it somewhat easier and keep me more stable and able to press forward.  I now do yoga four times a week. I don't let a day go by without a walk in nature. When the sun shines, I turn my face to the sun and envision its healing powers going to work in my brain.  This is the first time I've stayed sober during antidepressant withdrawal.  This is the first time I've done it with a foundation of wonderful therapy. It's the first time I've done it when I was kind to myself, letting myself rest when I need to, and not beating myself up for having days when I am not cooking elaborate meals or cleaning the house.  I am all about healing this time!

I recognize that there may be dark days ahead, and I know that I am nowhere near being out of the woods.  But I'm okay.  I have next to no anxiety, am not depressed, and am sleeping very well.  I am dizzy, but that is not intolerable.  

Stay sober, Dane22!  I believe it's our best hope.

Day 14 without Lexapro. Day 11 on reduced Prozac. I feel good. I am dizzy when I first wake up in the morning, but I take my small dose of prozac and get back in bed with mY coffee and feel fine within 20 minutes.

I'm acutely aware of my feelings and reactions, and what I notice is that I feel a subtle shift, as if I've removed one of the cushions in a pile I'm sitting on...I am just a little more sensitive; a little more irritable: a little more easily moved/touched. I'll take it all. I am done with being numbed.

I'm also tuning in to other people's emotions, as a way of keeping the perspective that we all get irritated...hurt...sad...I see it in my kids who have certainly never been on the any psych meds. They get pissed off. It passes. I don't know when I started to think I wasn't allowed to get pissed off! It's not a sign that something is wrong with me, or even a sign of withdrawal. It's just being human. Grateful for this realization.

OOPS. I don't know how I managed to post the same post three times!  I don't see a way to delete a post, so I'm afraid they'll have to remain...sorry!

This morning I woke up feeling even more dizzy than yesterday.  I am sure the Lexapro is gone from my brain by now (day 15), and perhaps the Prozac isn't enough to compensate.  I feel queasy.  I took my Prozac about 10 minutes ago, and am hoping for relief.

It's interesting to me that while tapering off the Lexapro the dizziness seemed worse in the late afternoon.  Now it is worse in the morning.  On Prozac, I'm surprised that levels have dropped enough in 24 hours to have this effect.  I wonder, would it be better to take half the Prozac dose in the morning and half at night?  I would have thought that with its long half life, this wouldn't make a difference.

I also wanted to note that my irritation rose last night. I was very annoyed by my husband.  This is nothing new, but I felt it in a more intense way than I did on Lexapro or on a heftier dose of Prozac.  Then again, I feel everything more intensely on less meds/no meds.  Is this a good thing?  For the most part, I think it is.  But the irritation/anger is certainly unpleasant. Time for me to learn to live with, express and not suppress unpleasant feelings, I guess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lol ,   Sara , if you wave the little hand/arrow at the bottom right corner of your post (next to multiquote) , you get a choice to edit or delete

for one hour after posting.

While I'm here , can I add that I'm enjoying following your journey , you write in such an articulate way , and are so in touch with your feelings.

The irritability will go , it's not permanent.

xxx   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Sara, glad you are still feeling pretty good! I would expect to see some changes in your WD symptoms at this point (about two weeks out on zero Lexapro), just from my own experience. For me, that has been the point at which the physical symptoms cease and the emotional ones begin. I will be curious to read about your experience, so keep posting! ☺️

Hey Sarasmiles! Liked the part about learning to deal with negative emotions. Today was the first day CT I found myself depressed. I know the reason, so I decided to let it stay in my head and not avoid it. I thought to myself, if I want to be off AD, I'm going to have to learn to handle the depression in productive ways.

I followed through on my plans today, was quite productive and eventually the depression "wave" lifted. It was so hard to let it sit in my brain, but I knew I needed to process it and it would take time.

I hope you're better and the Prozac "kicked in". You have amazing insight. Keep posting.

September 2013. Diagnosed depression/anxiety. Start Prozac 10mg and slowly increase to 40mg.

October 2013. Lorazepam 0.5mg prescribed for anxiety after complaining about nervous energy

November 2013. prescribed a sleeping pill (name?) for insomnia. took once. ineffective.

January to June 2014. psychiatrist agrees to lower dose to 15 mg due to side effects.

August 2014 first attempt to quit cold turkey Lasted August 1, 2014 until October 1, 2014

November 2014 second attempt to quit cold turkey lasted Novemember 4, 2014 until Jan 13, 2015

January 2015 3rd attempt to quit cold turkey lasted feb 3, 2015 until feb 23, 2015

Thank you, Dane.  I think it's great that you sat with those feelings and accepted them, and then they lifted.  I think that's so important to be able to do.  Coming off of ADs in the past, I think I have panicked when any feelings of depression, anxiety or irritability arose. That panic made me turn back to the meds.

I am feeling good today.  I've been working all day, so I haven't felt any of the  irritation I feel at home with my husband.  Still, little things have come up, and I've felt pretty even-keeled.  I read in an old journal that my depression got pretty intense about two weeks after my last dose of Lexapro.  Today is day 16 without it, so I am a little wary, wondering if it will hit.  Last time I had not bridged to another drug, though. I am hoping the Prozac is cushioning me.  I want to come off of the Prozac.  It was never my intention to just replace one drug with another.  I am fighting my impulse to taper the Prozac too fast. I want to know that I am okay post Lexapro before going off of Prozac. But I'm not planning to wait months.  I'm planning to wait until April, when signs of spring begin to emerge, and I am past the point at which I felt my mood plummet when I went off of Lexapro in the past.

I know the general wisdom here is to slow everything way the hell down.  That's incredibly hard for me. I want to get on with my life without meds.

I got enraged tonight, with my husband. It was over something small. I didn't say much to him, I just felt it inside. Pure rage.  Sucked. Going to look at neuro emotions thread now. Yes, I have the right to get pissed off, as I said above, but this was irrational, dizzying anger.  I took a warm bath, lit my aroma-therapy diffuser, and am now in bed - calm, but a little freaked out. 

I'm so glad you didn't say much. Glad for you that you held back in acting out on it. You can't regret what you didn't say.

Learning how to deal with these emotions without AD meds or booze is difficult for me. I'm glad that I'm not numb to all these situations anymore.

Thanks, Dane. Yes, I'm glad I didn't say everything I was thinking last night. I was so angry, though! We took the kids out to dinner, and I was sitting across from my husband, secretly giving him the middle finger under the table! Pretty childish, huh?  I guess it gave me a little relief without anyone else having to even know.

By bedtime last night I had moved on from anger to shame. It almost felt as if I had behaved badly while drunk, and couldn't quite remember what I'd done or said, but felt ashamed. I hadn't had a drop to drink, but I felt as if I'd been in an altered state none the less...the rage was that intense.  My husband was cold and distant, which is his m.o. when he's angry or hurt. I tried to talk with him, but he wasn't receptive. Miraculously, I was able to fall asleep and escape the whole thing that way.

I woke up with a terrible, pounding headache.  Again, it was reminiscent of drinking days. I have felt "hung over" all morning, and accomplished next to nothing.  I did get up and have coffee and breakfast, brought my kids to school, and went to a yoga class. Monday is my day off from work, and I usually spend it getting caught up on housework, errands or paper work for my job. Today, I went to yoga but then came home and got in bed. I slept for an hour.  Still have a bad headache, and Tylenol hasn't touched it. I'm going to head out for a walk in the woods soon.

So now I am wondering what is happening with my poor brain.  I stopped the Lexapro 17 days ago, after a quick taper. I stopped as quickly as I did because I had added Prozac in, and it seemed the advice on the "Bridging with Prozac" thread suggested making the transition quickly.  I was on 10 mg. Prozac, but went down to 9 mg. and then 5 mg. within the last few days.  So, what should I do next?  I could go back up to 10 mg. Prozac and hold there until I am symptom free, or press on at 5 mg., hoping that the withdrawal doesn't get any worse than it is now.  I think it was Prestorb who warned me that if I started decreasing the Prozac too early, I wouldn't know if my w.d. symptoms were from losing the Lexapro or decreasing the Prozac.  So, you were right, Prestorb. I don't know. I tend to jumble it all together, under "SSRI withdrawal".  Whatever is causing the symptoms, I'm not sure what to do next.

I'd be grateful for advice, but I also feel acutely aware that I haven't always taken advice given on this site, so I get it if the moderators prefer not to weigh in!  

• Administrator

Sara, this is your post from the Prozac switch topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/page-5#entry139423

I'll be interested to read the answers you get to your question, Clarabella.  

I'm trying to figure things out myself. I would really appreciate any feedback I could get.

On February 6, 2015, I told my psychiatrist I wanted to get off of Lexapro.  He recommended a switch to Prozac, because it has worked well for me in the past, and because I found it less difficult to withdraw from than Lexapro, which I tried to discontinue about a year ago, without success.   My true desire when I told him I wanted to get off of Lexapro was to be medication free at last.  I told him this, but he was skeptical that this would work for me.  He has seen me discontinue and suffer from bad depression in the past, and he seems to feel I will need to be on an SSRI for the foreseeable future.  So I agreed to the switch to Prozac, but told him, "if I do okay, I'd still like to taper off the Prozac eventually."  I was viewing the Prozac as a bridge drug, but he was viewing it as a replacement, albeit a replacement I could hope to get off of somewhat more easily should I insist upon that.

Okay, so he prescribed:

10 mg. Prozac for one week, while still taking 20 mg. Lexapro.  

10 mg. Lexapro for one week, increase to 20 mg. Prozac

5 mg. Lexapro for one week, 20 mg. Prozac

Quit Lexapro, stay on 20 mg. Prozac

After spending hours reading here, I decided not to increase the Prozac to 20 mg., but instead to see if I could be stable reducing the Lexapro while taking 10 mg. Prozac.  I did that.  So I have been off of Lexapro entirely since 2/28. I had some dizziness and a few brain zaps each day after beginning the Lexapro reduction, but basically felt pretty good. I continued to take  10 mg. of Prozac until 3/3, when I shaved a tiny bit off of my 10 mg. tablet. Since then I have continued to do that, taking 9 mg. of Prozac each day, until 3/10, when I reduced that to 5 mg.  I thought, based on past experience, that I could probably handle that reduction.

That brings us to yesterday, when I had my first emotional sign of withdrawal. I became unreasonably enraged with my husband. There is a lot of anger built up for me in that relationship, so it was not coming from out of nowhere, but it was definitely out of proportion to the immediate situation, and I felt almost dizzy with anger.  It was that hot, visceral, sickening rage I have only felt a few times in my life. And it was over a minor issue. I stayed in control of my behavior and my words, and he doesn't know just how angry I was. 

Today I woke up with a massive headache, and felt hung over, although I haven't had a drink in months.  Fortunately, I had the day off, and I was able to spend some of it in bed.  I feel better now.

Would anyone be willing to advise me about how I should proceed from here?  I could hold at the 5 mg. of Prozac and see how I do in the days to come.  I could go back up to 9 or 10 mg.. I could taper by smaller amounts, which would require me to use a liquid form.  My pharmacy wouldn't do a refill as a liquid unless I get a new prescription written that way.  I'm uncomfortable asking my psychiatrist to do that, given his disapproval of my going drug free at all, but I could do it, or make my own.

This afternoon I feel fine.  I needed the rest I got today, but I am good now. Just mildly dizzy.  Of course, I don't know if the headache and rage were reactions to Lexapro withdrawal from 2 1/2 weeks ago, or Prozac reduction.  

Any advice would be appreciated enormously.

Thank you!

Sara

In my opinion, you are reducing Prozac too fast. You allowed almost no time to stabilize on Prozac alone -- we generally recommend doing this for a month or two or more.

Having had some withdrawal symptoms while you're doing this is an indication to slow down or you're setting yourself up for another failed attempt to go off antidepressants.

If I were you, I would go back up to 7.5mg Prozac. Yes, you should prepare to use a liquid formulation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oh yikes Sara, that is a big drop on the Prozac. But it sounds like you handled the rage pretty well to me, could have been much worse. I usually yell a lot and slam doors!

Sounds like you could choose to go back up to 7.5 mg or 9 mg, depending on how bad the WD symptoms are hitting you. I think you need more time to stabilize on the Prozac alone. It's hard to say if your symptoms are from coming off the Lexapro completely, or tapering the Prozac. Although you really seemed to be doing pretty well on the Prozac before this last taper. You have made a lot of progress already and are still highly functional, maybe give yourself a chance to recover for a little longer?

Hope you are feeling better today, hang in there...

Yes. Stupid of me to have rushed it once again. I'm not sure why I do that. There really is no hurry. It's as if once I get it in my head that I want to quit I am just ready to be done and I'm impatient. I'm not really like that with other things in my life. I'm not impulsive. But with this, I rush, to my own detriment.

I called my psychiatrist today and left a message asking him to phone in a script for liquid prozac. He called me back and said he will support me whatever I do, and that he believes I know myself and also that it isn't his role to tell me what to do. So I'll pick that up later today. I am going to try to follow the advice given here and take 7.5 mg. for a month or two. I took my aproximation of that from a pill this morning and feel much better today. Phew. Amazing how powerful these drugs are.

Okay, now that I have the oral syringe, I think it would be easier to take 2 ml, equaling 8 mg. of fluoxetine.  I'm pathetic with numbers!  When I'm ready to taper from this, I'll need help with reducing by 10 % .  I can do it in milligrams, but it's going to be trickier to figure it out in milliliters!  I'll search the site for a table, but for now wanted to say I'm starting off easy, with 2 ml.

Sarasmiles. Wow! You have incredible insight into your own situation. I'm impressed. I like how you process your situations and keep an open mind. Helps me to read your updates. I swear, I think we're on the same rollercoaster!

So very glad you feel better. Keep moving forward!

Oh! And I'm jealous of your psychiatrist! You have a good working relationship. My psychiatrist practices by the "my way or the highway" theory. She wouldn't wean me or allow me liquid Prozac. It'll all work out.

Thanks, Dane.  I do feel good about my psychiatrist. I know he is skeptical that I can cope without medication, but at least he is willing to support me in trying.  Would you consider looking for a new doctor yourself?  Someone with a more open mind?

I am good today!  Yucky tension with my husband last night, and I am continuing to worry about our marriage, but I feel strong, healthy and not too dizzy or irritable.  

My husband has always been uncomfortable with my strong emotions. He is very rational and intellectual, and when I get tears in my eyes or my voice sounds tense, he wants to run for the hills.  He usually thinks he has to fix something, or do something, to make me feel better.  I've told him many times that sometimes I just need to vent, and mostly I need hugs and reassurances.  Not his forte. This has been a big reason why I have stayed on medication for so many years.  I have come to feel that I've been medicating myself to make it easier for us to get along. If I don't cry, he is more comfortable. If I don't get angry, he is more relaxed. I can't go on like this, though. I don't want to stay on meds in order to placate him. Sorry. Just venting.

Good Morning Sarasmiles. I look forward to your updates, thank you.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum with my partner. I'm asked, at a minimum, twice daily "how are you feeling". I cannot help but feel that people are waiting for something to go wrong. And being asked that question frequently makes me feel weak and fragile. Maybe we could merge our spouses? lol

sending you a hug so you have another good day!

Being asked how I'm doing would be nice! But, I get how you feel about it.  It must be tough to feel people are watching and waiting to see how you do.

I had a good day. The increase to 8 mg. of Prozac seems to have quieted the withdrawal symptoms. I've been only slightly dizzy, headache free and my mood is pretty good.  The only thing I notice in my behavior is a bit more of a tendency to speak my mind.  I feel slightly less inhibited, which may be a good thing.  Oh, and I'm tired by 3pm, and not feeling motivated to do much of anything late in the day. Watching more TV than usual.

I feel a little regretful to be slowing down the withdrawal process.  Part of me very much wants to just quit get it done with.  I am trying to be patient, though, in the hopes that this time I can quit and stay quit.

Sarasmiles. Your thread is not about me, but I need to tell you how much it meant to me what you posted. I read it no less than 6 times last night. You make me feel empowered, hopeful and supported. Thank you. I hope I make things a little lighter for you.

Ok. Enuf about me. Now its about you you you!  You have come such a long way, so very proud of you, an inspiration! 8mg of Prozac from where you were?! That's worth celebrating! No regrets on your perception of slowing down! You are so far along the process. Whatever you need to do, I support you one thousand percent.

How are you?

That makes me feel so good, Dane.  Thank you for saying this.  I do feel wonderfully supported by you as well, and I'm truly grateful.

I feel good today.  No dizziness. No headache.  Pissed off at my husband, but not in a crazy way.  I think he's truly being an ass, and that it's okay for me to be angry.  I have typically worked very hard at not getting angry.  I have suppressed it, repressed it and apologized for it whenever I get irritated, with him or anyone else.  Today I'm just feeling it, without panic.  It isn't the end of the world, and I don't have to make everything nice again as I typically do, in my people-pleasing way.  I am just letting myself be fed up with his behavior, and moving on with my day. It feels pretty good. 

I like the new YOU, Sara!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Angry. Pissed. Irritated. I embrace them all now. So thankful to feel these things. A chemical lobotomy is no fun.

I'm just stopping by to see if your having another good day. You know, I think they may be contagious :)

Awww...Thanks Pug and Dane!  

It was another good day, so I hope it is contagious!  I started the day with sending my husband and kids on their way to New Hampshire to camp out for the weekend.  That meant I had a day to myself, which is rare.  I had set myself up with some plans...met up with an old friend for hot yoga and brunch this morning, and with a new friend for dinner tonight.  In between I had a little down time, picked up the house a bit, and took my pup for a nice long walk in the woods.  Ate healthy foods and drank lots of water.   

My energy is definitely a little lower than usual, and I am still feeling a little fuzzy headed, but it isn't too bad.  I didn't feel any real irritability today, but it wasn't tested much, with the kind of day I had.  

Hanging in there.

Good for you Sara! Glad you are getting a little time to yourself and feeling well. ☺️

Thanks, Prestorb!  

I was feeling really great this morning, and then had a visit with my psychiatrist which was troubling.  It seems he had some second thoughts about my decision to taper off of Prozac, and he shared them with me.  I went in and told him I was feeling very good on 8 mg. of Prozac, and planned to hold there for at least a couple of more weeks and then go down by just 10%.  He wanted me to explain again why I wanted to come off of it, when I was feeling good.  In talking about it, I mentioned this forum, and I think that may have made him defensive.  He said something like, "please don't take advice from people you encounter on an internet forum..." and "there is empirical evidence that these medications work, and there is no evidence that they are harmful...Why wouldn't you just let yourself get the benefits?"  I didn't want to argue with him, partly because we were nearing the end of our 30 minute session and partly because this is his field, and he would never agree with me. How could he?  Prescribing psychotropic drugs is what he does.  He's not going to question it because I mention Peter Breggin or Joseph Glenmullen. He's not going to believe the studies, which of course he must have read, that say antidepressants don't work any better than placebos.  He is a believer, and I am not a doctor. I am not even scientifically minded. I couldn't make a case for this decision, except to say, "I want to be my true self."  When I said that, he said, "the drug isn't changing who you are, or how you think...it's just lifting the depression that you have suffered with chronically for all these years.,"  I couldn't even think how to argue with that. So I just said, "okay.  I'll stay on it."  But in my heart I knew I was lying.

What now?  Do I keep lying?  Do I stop seeing him, now that I have my prescription with two refills?  I don't know. I was feeling powerful before I spoke with him, and then self-doubt and fear crept in. Gotta fight those things off. 

Anyway, the session brought me down a bit, but I am feeling okay otherwise. No withdrawal effects today. No dizziness. Clear headed.  Fine. 

Hi, sara, glad you are reeling well.

If you are determined to taper regardless how doctors think, you can just go to any doctor like your family doctor, tell him your plan and ask his collaboration for prescription. It's difficult for the same doctor to acknowledge the mistake and be supportive if he is the one put you on it in the first place.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Funny LexAnger, exactly what I was going to write. My primary md would give me a script for liquid Prozac if I fall on my face from this attempt of CT. My psychiatrist would not.

But Sara has a pretty good relationship with her head shrink, unlike many of us. Although, she is a psychiatrist and they do prescribe meds. Perhaps it's out of genuine concern as she knows your history. But you're not that person anymore. People change, people grow. Maybe she felt medication therapy was was worth a try a while back. But your thinking has changed and you're not the same person. The way you cope is not the same. Can she see the difference in you in a 15 minute visit? Probably not.

Whatever you are doing Sara, you are doing something right. You are able to care for yourself and care for others. Listen to your self and your body.

And to think, I just stopped by to ask how you were, to tell you you're special! I ended up lolly gagging.

Thanks Dane and LexAnger.  I'm sure you're right, I could ask my primary care doctor to prescribe for me.  As Dane said, though, I have had a good relationship with my shrink. I'd rather have him on my side than fire him. I don't think I have it in me to decide today.  It's been a tiring day.  I had couples therapy and individual therapy today, both of which were pretty draining.  I think good work is happening, but it's hard.  My therapist is in agreement with my prescribing doctor, that I am doing well as is, have struggled when I've given up meds in the past, and therefor should accept that I am better off staying on them.

I do find myself wondering if they are right.  I think I need to put some time into clarifying my thoughts on why I'm doing this, and whether or not the risks are worth taking. But not today. I am done with introspection for the day. Or at least for an hour or two. :)

Hi Sara! stopping by to check on you, coffee in hand (decaf at that ).

yes, my mind goes into overdrive from time to time. I just put what ever the current troublesome issue is on hold and tackle it later when im in the right frame of mind. I think your right to take a breath, take a break and reevaluate later. we all need some downtime.

wishing you the biggest window today!

Hi Sara! Glad to see you are still doing well, that is awesome! And sounds like you had a long day of psychiatry and therapy appointments, that must have been exhausting! Might take a few days to recover, and like you said, you don't have to make any decisions quickly. You are doing well where you are with your dosage, it doesn't hurt to just stay there for now. That in itself may be reassuring to your doc and therapists. Regardless, I believe we have to trusts our own intuitions, we know ourselves better than anyone else. And maybe this will just serve as a caution to take it slow and easy so you can continue to feel reasonably good in the process. I can imagine it just felt discouraging to you at the time and I am sorry for that, but I hope by now, you are feeling better. It seems like you are very functional and doing great, so hang in there. It's a process and this is one of many bumps in the road. Smile and hugs to you! ☺

P.S. Check out Baylissa Frederick's books, I really like her! Very positive and inspiring.

Echo to you pres on your comments about baylissa and her post in FB, highly recommended to all in WD!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,