Sujema: Effexor withdrawal, 10 days, multiple symptoms, suicidal thoughts.

Sujema

Fresh,

Thanks, but how do you delete a post??

I don't have to. 'Quote ' to address a particular person , right?

Should I just use the quick Post?

Can only see the one MammaP quote.

I started Lexapro 2013 30? mg

Changed to Effexor 75 mg Jan 2014

Started tapering. 1st Dec 2014 -

75mg down to 37.5 in 1st month.

18.7 mg to 9 mg between 1st jan- 1st feb.

Discontinued 1st Feb- 27th Feb

Have experienced, daily, vertigo, disassociation, chronic fatigue, insomnia,

Pins and needles down right side head and intense despair.

Reinstated 4 beads Effexor 28th Feb 15'

Side affects of withdrawal not manageable particularly

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely heaps better Sujema, my memory is much better, I can remember my kids names now and can get out and about. 

I have other medical problems that I suffer with but the side effects from the effexor have diminished greatly. I wouldn't say done 100% but I can cope with the little there is, for me that is insomnia and once I am off altogether I think that may improve too.  Some withdrawal waves still pop up occasionally but nothing I can't cope with now.  I know with certainty that I am so much better and will be fine once I am off effexor and the pain meds I have to take. which also have side effects but different. My BP is normal, I've been able to come off BP meds and my cholesterol has dropped from. I have also been able to stop the meds for gastric problems caused by drugs and rarely need the antacid medicine for heartburn.   :)

As the dose got lower while tapering I felt the side effects ebbing away, I just wish I had found this site before starting my taper, I would have been off now and not had to suffer the withdrawal, but hindsight is a wonderful thing !

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Sujema, I hid 2 posts that were duplicated, you have 1 hour to edit posts but I think only mods can hide them, and only admin can delete them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

MammaP ,

That is so great to hear. :-) Really gives me hope !

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sujema, how are you doing?  

It looks like you decided not to reinstate - though if you are still in strife, you are still in a good window to reinstate a tiny tiny amount.

I understand you don't want any more of the "poison," but as Rhiannon said, a tiny 4-5 bead amount will not be as toxic, and will help with symptoms.

However, maybe you are starting to move through it?  Have you had windows?  If you've had windows, that means your brain is healing, and coming into balance.  Where there is one window, there is bound to be another - you won't know when or for how long - but be sure to appreciate it when you do!

Let us know how you are going?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Sulema, your question about withdrawal versus relapse is a good one. Do you feel as you did before you started on antidepressants? Different? Better or worse? Many of us, including me, experience a despair and gloom that is cosmic in scope, not attached to any real world issues, and unrelenting (for a time). For me, this is not like anything I called depression in the past.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Westcoast,

Prior to having been prescribed Effexor, I had experienced depression from a very young age. A traumatic childhood event, the catalyst, (as I know now, set me up with a particular stress response), for others resulted in PTSD. I really rode those waves of depression with nothing more than St Johns Wort.

My brother's death, and another huge life change, was the proverbial 'straw', which prompted me to seek 'Professional ' help, and hence the Effexor. I guess my nervous system was no longer able to cope.

Your question, Westcoast, "is the depression different now"? Yes I feel it, the despair and fear washes over me now out of the blue, as you described, but I cannot tell if it is my 'broken' mental state or Anti.withdrawal. ????

It's a case of life is not good on it....or off it.

I am trying to focus on the little windows of 'light', attention to supporting my physical health, and a belief in the brains ability to heal. I have to believe that......

I don't know where I would be without the help of you amazing people......so generous, amidst your own challenges.

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

We have a topic called Withdrawal or relapse? You will find it interesting and can add to it if you like. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1587-is-it-relapse-or-withdrawal/

You are describing withdrawal perfectly, but we do have to remember that when withdrawal is past we have to learn new ways to deal with our stress and come to terms with our past so we don't fall into the trap f thinking we need 'fixing' with drugs, as Rhi mentions in that thread. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema,

I can so relate to your situation because i have been there with effexor too.  In the end i had to reinstate because i was afraid of going back to the place where i was when i first went on effexor.  I am probably the slowest learner on this site - i feel so good so hurry up too much and then crash.  After my latest crash i have had 2 years of solid stability and am about to start another 10% taper - i was going every 3 weeks last time, this time will be every 4 or 5 weeks. I think for me it has a cumulative effect.

You have done a very, very quick reduction - from 75 to nothing in 2 months.  My advice (for what it is worth) would be to reinstate back to 37.5mg and wait the time to stabilise (maybe 3 or 4 weeks) and then do a strict 10% taper every 4 weeks.

Seeing you are in Oz are you using capsules with the beads inside? - you can open them and count them out.

blessings to you

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy, thanks for chipping in with your experience. We recommend very low doses for reinstating, 1mg to start with. If it is tolerated but not enough it can be increased if needed. After some time off  the nervous system can become sensitive to the drug and not tolerate high doses. Sujema also had bad side effects and will need to go low so as to avoid them.  I reinstated and am glad that I did, it has been a journey of windows and waves but better than protracted withdrawal! 

2002  effexor. 

MammaP and Peggy,

Thank you for your input and support. :-)

Depression/dispair.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply to my question. These waves of despair need a scientific name. I have seem very few people here say they are similar to any depressive episodes they had in the past. It's another world. I'm committed to staying alive, but it is very hard some days. My sense of there being a future has been erased. I wonder if w/d does something specific to your brain, like wipe out the feeling of "hope," which is what gets most people through the day.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Westcoast,

I can completely relate to " not having hope or sense of a future ", as being a possible result of the withdrawal. I have had lucid periods, prior to the Med, where I clearly envisioned the Possibility at least ,...of a 'happy' productive future.

I think the nature of the symptoms such as, headaches, insomnia fatigue etc, keeps a person fairly immobilised....without that 'zest' for life, and less likely to engage.

The inability to confide your deepest fears, and experiences with family seems to compound the isolation.

I have seen examples of people healing from the most critical head trauma, and the benefit of meditation on neuro plasticity, and I will endeavour to draw on all resources I can. I am determined not to allow Pharm. greed, Medical disinterest and ignorance, to rob me of the precious gift of life.

I wrote a list of all the things that have ever brought me joy.....smell of fresh cut grass, morning sun on trees, particular music, art, etc,etc....and plan to focus on those more.

I can't emphasis how much the "Acceptance and Calming Exercise video" in the Symptom and Care forum is helping me. It is a 20 minute gift to myself. Her voice is incredibly soothing,..,. Like laying in a warm bath while someone massages your head, more importantly, when the symptoms are overwhelming , it is teaching me not to fight them.

Take care <<>>

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy, thanks for chipping in with your experience. We recommend very low doses for reinstating, 1mg to start with. If it is tolerated but not enough it can be increased if needed. After some time off  the nervous system can become sensitive to the drug and not tolerate high doses. Sujema also had bad side effects and will need to go low so as to avoid them.  I reinstated and am glad that I did, it has been a journey of windows and waves but better than protracted withdrawal! 

i am aware of the low dose re -instating and just going back to the dose you last felt stable at,  however, in this case because Sujema did BIG drops and quickly she hasn't had time to accommodate to lower doses anyway - the faster she becomes stable, the less time her nervous system is in distress.  

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema ,     I was looking for something else , and found an article by David Healy where he discusses how to tell the difference between

withdrawal and the return of a depressive condition.  It's an excellent article. 

Search for     David Healy , Dependence on Antidepressants and Halting SSRI's   on benzos.org

xxx

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh, I'll check out the David Healy article. <<>>

Depression/dispair.

Fresh,

Thank you for the reference to the David Healy article. It clarified my questions regarding withdrawal V relapse.

As I understand it , it is withdrawal if the symptoms start very soon after discontinuation.

Relapse of depressive symptoms, would take much longer to appear, possibly months , if they had resolved whilst on the med .

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

i am aware of the low dose re -instating and just going back to the dose you last felt stable at,  however, in this case because Sujema did BIG drops and quickly she hasn't had time to accommodate to lower doses anyway - the faster she becomes stable, the less time her nervous system is in distress.  

I see that Peggy, but Sujema was quitting because of the adverse effects of the drug, Starting very low and then titrating up will find a level that will hopefully not have the same side effects and ease withdrawal.  I thought the same as you until I saw that Alto's method really does work.

2002  effexor. 

Hi guys,

I finally succumbed to reinstating 4 beads (Effexor). I realised that after the humiliation of breaking down in a bank today, and feeling like it wasn't worth living in this hell.... It was time to stop white knuckling it, and holding out for this 'miraculous healing brain' of mine to deliver me to elusive happiness.

It is ironic that the 'poison' I so longed to eradicate, may take the edge of the pain that IT caused.

So good to have you to talk to. Think my loved ones must be at a loss to understand, when they ask " what were you thinking about to make you cry in the bank ?".

How can you explain that, Nothing specific had to precede the 'Tsunami of fear and grief' that washes over you.

Praying for peace!

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema,

I'm happy to hear that you have decided to try reinstatement, no one needs to suffer through withdrawal if its possible to reinstate and then begin a proper, safe taper.  That's what we are here for, to help people get off these drugs safely and remain functional in their lives as they do it.

Has anyone given you the reinstatement topic, so you know what to expect?  Here it is again in case they haven't. Please read through it carefully it should answer most of your questions about what to do, when to do it and what you may experience:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Please stay in touch regularly to let us know how you are doing, and especially if you are thinking of making any changes.  I hope this works well and that you start to feel better soon.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Reinstating doesn't mean you're any less brave , possibly just more sensible.

I hope you notice an improvement quickly.    Give it at least 4 days to get into your blood stream.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I see that Peggy, but Sujema was quitting because of the adverse effects of the drug, Starting very low and then titrating up will find a level that will hopefully not have the same side effects and ease withdrawal.  I thought the same as you until I saw that Alto's method really does work.

I would just like to add that in such cases we also consider the time a person has been off the drug or at a significantly lower dose. In Sujema's case it has been at least 2 months since she was last on 37.5 mg. In that period the brain has already done a lot of adjusting to functioning without the drug and we often see that reinstating at a previous or last stable dose causes very nasty reactions. 

Sujema, I do hope you you start feeling better soon. As Petunia and Fresh said reinstatement is not a failure. It's just a safe and ultimately faster way of getting of the drugs. Not to mention avoiding excruciating suffering.

When you find the time it would be good to update your signature so that we can all see at a glance what changes were happening and when. Putting at least an approximate date is preferable to saying 11 days ago because as the time goes by we can't know when 11 days ago was ;)

All the best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you for your messages of support.

It was recommended that I update my signature to be more specific with dates.

I cannot see where to do that....??

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

The way I do it is I go to my profile (find myself by typing my forum name in search in the top right corner on this page and select members). Once I'm in my profile, I click on Edit my profile, again in top right corner. When you do that a new interface will open where you will see Signature on the left. Click there and you will be able to Edit your signature.

I find it very useful because sometimes I'm not sure when I made changes with my drugs and when I do it here, it's all there.

Keep us posted.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sujema, i hope you feel better soon.

Are you on brand name effexor or generic?  Do you know how many beads are in your capsules?  If you are on brand name, then 4 beads is probably about 1mg effexor.

Reinstated 4 beads Effexor, day 3, and already I'm reminded why I came off.

The Asthma like, shortness of breath and waking migraine are back, with a vengeance! It is so hard to ingest something you know is putting your body under strain.

Means to an end, hey?

Desolation, and thoughts of self harm Off drug, or, unsolicited, harm to your body On it!!!

Is there no other way????

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

So do you feel that you're having a bad reaction to it?    If the headaches and breathing difficulties have become worse since starting it , it may not be best to continue.

Have you noticed any improvements at all?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Sujema? Has reinstating brought any improvement, no change or have you become worse?  At four days, you should be able to have an idea if its going to help, or at least not make things worse.  If after 4 days there has been an obvious bad reaction, its recommended you reduce the dose or stop taking it.

Please let us know how you are.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi all,

4 bead taper, day 7 I think.

I have had 3 beautiful days free of 'gloom'. When I say 'beautiful', I'm speaking relatively. Feel a bit flat, but it is so fantastic not to feel utter dispair. Feel optimistic!

Hope this message finds you all in high spirits. If not, I wish you peace.

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Woo-HOOO ,    so happy for you!!    Yes , it is all relative   :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Wow, that is great Sujema! Enjoy!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.