☼ Outdoorsman15 intro and experience with Effexor w/d

OutdoorsMan15

Why haven't I told anyone?

There's a bunch of reasons, one of them being a gut feeling that I just shouldn't.  I'd have a terribly hard time explaining the entire thing and by the time I'm done I'm not sure anyone would even believe me.  I also feel like people would grow impatient.  I've tested the whole thing with my family and while they've been as understanding as they can, I get comments like this all the time: "You were feeling good last week.  How can you be feeling bad again?"   "This has gone on forever"  "This is taking forever, at some point you should go back to a doctor"  The bottom line is there really is no way to properly explain this to someone.  I'm much more comfortable faking things

I also haven't told anybody apart from my close family, but I am sure that now they know about the dangers of ssri, because I have told them so many things, so I am pretty confident that nobody of them will ever take ssri.

I also told one good friend of mine because he suffered from depression some time ago, so he is quite understanding, and he had (not anymore) a girlfriend who has been on an ssri (I suspect it is paxil) since she was 15 years old, now she is 19.  I told my friend many times that she should get off that, but his girlfriend prefers to trust her doctor... I wonder if I should insist more, but how to keep insisting without them thinking I am just crazy... and I am from a country where not many people speak english fluently, so referring her to this website wouldn't be that useful, she wouldn't understand much.

Anyways, sorry for hijacking your thread, I am happy to read about your improvements, outdoorsman.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OutdoorsMan15

• btdt

• KT38

• clearday

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries Theon, the inability to communicate about this is such a huge challenge for us.  Nobody believes us, it makes me feel pretty lonely.

Today I have almost convinced myself I have diabetes.  Ever since WD started the feeling of hunger makes me feel horrible, so I'm always reaching for crackers and granola bars to avoid this.  I've also had bouts of frequent urination throughout the year and numbness is another warning sign.

I cannot stop thinking that there is something I'm missing.  There's gotta be some serious condition that I developed because how could withdrawal last for this long with such slight improvement?

I had blood tests done in August and one was a Metabolic Panel, which I believe looks for diabetes.

Of course everything came back normal but I can't stop scaring myself.  Am I letting something go undiagnosed that is continuing to attack my nervous system and brain function? If I eventually do find something will it be too late? This condition has been too serious for too long. - I can't push thoughts like this away.

After 11 months, I still have trouble coming to terms with this simply being withdrawal.  I am scared today.

September-December 2012: 10mg Paxil and no long term W/D symptoms

July-August 2013: 10mg Celexa for anxiety-based(?) insomnia, no W/D symptoms

October-December 2014: 37.5 and then 75mg Effexor XR

December 18, 2014: Last dose of Effexor after ~ 3 week taper

Dont panic outdoorsman ...something i learnt from scouts was when lost in the outdoors dont panic just sit for a while and relax then you can get your bearings again,

I tend to do the same ruminations.

cheers

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I hear your frustration loud and clear and how you think you must have some type of disease now.  I am almost into month 9 and and in the past 2 months some crazy, scary new things have come on and I'm like I really am dying.  I must have something.  I hear a lot of people making progess between 18 and 24 months.  Just hold tight and keep on fighting this invisible war.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

I hear ya I hear ya,

Just wish I knew what it all meant sometimes; what's really going on up in our noggins and our entire bodies.  I had crazy dizziness and DR (I think, just weird visual stuff) come on around month 9.  At the same time, the paresthesia is finally going away.  Is this progress?  I don't know.

I've heard very few stories of people healing within a year on this site so we probably still have a ways to go.  As scary as that sounds, windows should improve over that time so the second year should be easier to tolerate, hopefully!

Personally, my windows haven't gotten longer as time goes on, they've just gotten better.  Usually they only last for a day or two but each time I seem to reach a new peak.

Outdoorsman,

No one knows how long any sort of recovery will take.  I used to think 12 months was a long time  , but it's interesting to see how a perspective can shift .  I have thrown the calender out !  You are coming up for 12 months in December ?   Your windows sound good !  A new peak. I hope it keeps up.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I think your windows being better is definite healing. I have been having the same thing! Each window I'm doing more and more but my waves have gotten worse!!!! You will recover just fine; keep fighting!!

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

• Moderator Emeritus

Just wish I knew what it all meant sometimes; what's really going on up in our noggins and our entire bodies.  I had crazy dizziness and DR (I think, just weird visual stuff) come on around month 9.  At the same time, the paresthesia is finally going away.  Is this progress?  I don't know.

I think it is progress.  Each time we have sypmtoms ease or new symptoms begin it's a sign that our 'noggin' (love that word :D) and CNS are healing and rebuilding.   

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Outdoorsman - just checking in - it sounds like your windows have gotten longer, and your waves - while shifting - more bearable.

I like NZ's advice - when you get to spinning on a thought.  Just sit still a bit.  Look around.  Put your feet in the grass if you can.

"Is it always gonna be like this?"

Nothing is forever.  There is no always, there is no never.  There's always an exception.  Be it.  

Thanks for the clear thinking inspiration you've posted here.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...

Hello All.

I've been away from the site for a few months but a lot has happened in that time so I figured it was time for an update.

Let's start with this: Wow, I've really taken a big step forward over the past few months.  I'm not talking about a random window either, my baseline state saw a big improvement over the last few months.

I had horrible paresthesia in my face for the first 10 months of withdrawal. Sometimes in my lower lip, sometimes in the bridge of my nose and sometimes in both places at once.  I was really convinced it would never fade.  Now? It's a non-factor.  I might feel a bit of tingling around my nose for 20 minutes once a week.  It took almost a year to see objective improvement in my condition but now I can't contest it, the symptoms improve and fade away.

I had serious issues talking for the first 10 or 11 months as well.  This caused my personality to take a U-Turn.  I went from outgoing and confident to quiet and reserved.  Now at 13.5 months I'm finally getting it all back.  I don't know if it's my serotonin returning or the lack of paresthesia or what but my old personality has been shining through again for the past month. I am much more sociable at school and am reconnecting with older friends.

I always thought my cognition took a big hit when the protracted withdrawal started but it may have just been my difficulty channeling my thoughts into spoken word that was convincing me of that.  So I'm not sure if it was that bad in the first place but I generally feel a lot sharper now, my quick-witted sarcasm is returning (actually a detriment to people I interact with, Ha).

Irritability?  I have my occasional bad spell (wave) but I rarely want to rip people's heads off anymore, which is good.

I've also noticed that I will still have brain zaps in the middle of the night or immediately when I wake up.  But I gave this some thought and it makes sense.  During deep sleep we are in our REM stage.  REM stands for rapid eye movement.  Anyone who has experienced brain zaps knows they are often triggered when looking side to side too quickly.  Apparently our eyes are googling all over the place when we sleep, so it makes sense that this would cause zaps, even deep into protracted withdrawal.  I want to note that I don't feel any zaps during the day and it's been that way for about a year.

So what's left? Dizziness.  It's bad between the hours of 10AM and 1PM for whatever reason.  A lot of things can aggravate it.  Physical exertion, being outside in open spaces, driving and screens seem to be the main culprits.  Sometimes the dizziness spills over into issues speaking and concentrating as well.  However, if all the other symptoms have begun to melt away I have no doubt that this will too.

I'd like to end with some things that this experience has taught me so far.  My original problem, what got me into this mess, was panic attacks that first popped up in undergrad.  It was a slippery slope that led to drugs and a general avoidance mindset.  I was convinced I couldn't accomplish things in a state of panic.  I was constantly trying to work around it, to avoid it, to find techniques to stop it. Nothing ever worked and it led to taking Effexor, the drug which caused this horrid protracted withdrawal.  While dealing with withdrawal I seem to have finally figured out the beast that is frequent panic attacks.  I learned that it's not harmful to our bodies, it won't cause us to pass out, none of the disastrous stuff going through my mind was true.  in fact, I actually perform better when my anxiety level is high because my senses become so attuned to what is going on around me.  Now, instead of avoiding panic provoking situations I seek them out to expand my comfort zone.  In the fall I started a very difficult graduate degree (not going to mention it to remain anonymous).  This would have been daunting even before withdrawal. Now I look forward to the challenges that it brings and I'm doing well. My confidence continues to grow and my grades have been solid.  So while withdrawal has been horrible, I have spent the time learning to conquer something that was putting a real damper on the quality of my life.

Our conditions will improve but don't sit around waiting for it to happen.  Stay busy, work towards something, learn new things. I'm 13.5 months off Effexor and I can honestly say that if I hadn't stayed busy during that time I would be in a very dark place, if I would have been here at all.  Distraction is beyond vital to us right now.  Find something to do, even if you feel uncomfortable doing it.  Sitting around will always be worse.

I wish everyone continued improvement.  Hang in there!

-Outdoorsman

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I don't think I can explain how happy I am to learn how things have improved for you!  And such a great perspective on it all too. 

:):P:D:lol:

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

KarenB - Thank you! I hope your taper is going well

Alto - Thanks for the acknowledgement.  Hopefully it won't be too long until I write a post in that other section

I'm happy you are feeling better, man!

Wishing you the best in school and life!

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ghost. Good to hear from you.

I hope things are continuing to fade for you as well.  I know you also have a lot of school stuff going on in your life right now (blessing and a curse... ok more a blessing).

• 2 months later...

Hello y'all

It's been a couple months since l last checked in and I had some free time so I figured I'd give a little update. I also have some open questions.

So things definitely continue to improve for me. It surely hasn't been linear. Certain things will get better and certain things get worse but my overall baseline state is even better than what it was 2 months ago.  My biggest improvements have been with anhedonia and speaking. I can show much more emotion now and I can carry on conversations for much longer without the muscles in my face shutting down. The dizziness is beginning to fade, which have made my mornings much more pleasant.  In the past, I had to wait until around noon to start feeling my best but now I feel pretty strong from the moment I wake up until about midnight.

I could go on and on about the little things that are better or activities that I can now do because I'm feeling better but it's not important. What's important is that my quality of life continues to get better and I am slowly re-integrating pre-withdrawal stuff back into my life.

But there's one issue that continues to plague me and actually seems to get more difficult as my condition improves: obsessive thoughts and irrational fear.  Specifically, the better I feel the more paranoid I get that somethings is going to happen to derail my progress and put me back at square 1.

Here are some of the insane things that have been going through my mind:

- Fear that my parents were sneaking antidepressants into my food (I've generally gotten past this, I don't think my parents would commit a crime to put a substance in my system that I have literally been complaining  about for a year and a half)

- My mom takes an antidepressant. I've been worried that I could sleepwalk my way into her bathroom and take it

- I had to religiously clean out my drawer that used to hold the Effexor that got me into this situation in the first place, out of fear that some part of the drug could have gotten on my other toiletries

I know, it's all insane. But the thought that something could possibly wipe out all my progress occasionally ruins part of my day. I don't think I could go through this all over again. I'm thrilled about how far I've come, but I can't quite shake the paranoia about deleting all of my progress, even if the method in which that would occur is absolutely nutty (srsly, sleepwalking?). Paranoia has been a common theme since I came off a year and a half ago, but I guess it's natural when you feel so bad with no true explanations.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any tips/helpful advice? 

• 1 year later...

Hi OutdoorsMan15. I see you haven't logged in since last year, but maybe posts make it to your inbox? I was just wondering how you're doing lately, I noticed you struggled with speech related problems during your withdrawal, and I seem to be as well. It's a very strange thing, and makes me feel terrible when I'm trying to have conversations with people. (I honestly don't think I've had a comfortable conversation since discontinuing, and now I'm constantly watching for slip ups, which ends up making it worse. I can't just dissolve in a conversation). I was wondering if it ended up resolving for you, or if it's still something you deal with.

Hope you're doing well, and that's the reason you're no longer on here!

2000 - 2011 - 20mg Paxil (with many short failed stints each year of trying to discontinue)

2011 - 2013 - 10mg Cipralex (doctor's recommendation due to severe fatigue)

2013 - 2015 - 5mg Cipralex (managed to taper down slowly, but had to hold at 5mg)

2015 - 2016 - Bounced back and forth from 2.5mg to 5mg depending on coping strength

January 21st, 2017 - 100% SSRI free