SSRI WD Humor - Got the Winter Blues?

clearday

I hope you enjoy the following humor:

Need help – suffering from Winter.

Not sure if it’s protracted WD from being on Summer for three months. Tried to taper by using 3 months of Fall before going fully off.

At first Winter was not so bad, but it just got worse and now it’s unbearable. I don’t even remember what it’s like to be Summer anymore, or if I’ll ever see Summer again. Worrying that this Winter may be permanent.

I suffered from Winter off and on as a child; seemed like it came once a year and lasted for 3 months. Somehow I always came out of it ok. I have a history of Winter in my family too.

The symptoms are horrible: so much darkness and cold. Ineffective sunlight. I wake up to Winter, feel Winter all day, and at night, it’s worse, I feel so much Winter. And the snow shoveling is constant and unrelenting. I feel like I'm going to lose it! Will this never end?

I was considering reinstating back to October, but I don't want to go through Fall and early Winter again. I might just ride it out until Spring and see what happens. Who knows? Summer may return after that. 

My doctor says it’s not really Winter, that Winter really can only last a few weeks. He says whatever I am feeling is in my head. He said I need to take a pill, and that the pill will bring on Summer overnight. And he promised if I take his pill, it will stay Summer forever, and that I will never feel Winter again. He said it's my fault that Winter ever happened in the first place.

But I talked to a groundhog on this blog, and he said there will definitely be six MORE weeks of winter.

I trust the groundhog!   :P

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

You've just given me the best laugh ever, after crying for most of today.  I also love your tag:  SSRI USE is a marriage that usually ends with a long, drawn out, bitter divorce. And your ex will show up at the door months later and cause all sorts of problems

I was considering reinstating back to October, but I don't want to go through Fall and early Winter again. I might just ride it out until Spring and see what happens. Who knows? Summer may return after that. 

My doctor says it’s not really Winter, that Winter really can only last a few weeks. He says whatever I am feeling is in my head. He said I need to take a pill, and that the pill will bring on Summer overnight. And he promised if I take his pill, it will stay Summer forever, and that I will never feel Winter again. He said it's my fault that Winter ever happened in the first place.

But I talked to a groundhog on this blog, and he said there will definitely be six MORE weeks of winter.

I trust the groundhog!   :P

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Heard of the Summer Blues?  Apparantly whereas about 5% population get winter blues, 1% pop. gets Summer Blues.  So I feel extra special. ^_^  Wonder if your doctor could help me too?  Or perhaps we can swap seasons - one New Zealand summer for sale, going cheap.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Heard of the Summer Blues?  Apparantly whereas about 5% population get winter blues, 1% pop. gets Summer Blues.  So I feel extra special. ^_^  Wonder if your doctor could help me too?  Or perhaps we can swap seasons - one New Zealand summer for sale, going cheap.

"Ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues..." as the song goes...

I get Summer Blues for sure. I imagine anything could give me the blues if I spent enough time with it. Too much of a good thing.....

My problem is that I spend all winter thinking that when Summer comes, all my woes will disappear, and all my dreams will come true....and when they don't, I get the summer blues.

And how about the Fall melancholy, just staring down the barrel of six months of approaching winter....

I suppose Spring is the most bright and shining season, full of hope like a young foal romping in a field as it discovers it's new legs;

How people live up in Alaska near the Arctic circle is beyond my understanding....

Sorry to hear about your crying day! Thanks for replying to my joke....I was wondering if anyone would get a kick out of it. It just hit me one moment. Once the idea was there, it ran by itself... ok, it's corny, but what the hell, I'm trying!.... :lol:

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

This is so classic, I love it!

I especially like the groundhog part, many people have said that withdrawal also is like what happens in the movie Groundhog's Day, where the same day just repeats itself over and over again..so it works on many levels!

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, Summer is definately my hardest season.  I dread summer.  I look forward to winter, which makes many people look sideways at me ^_^   But winter is so safe and snuggly - full of sound weather-reasons for staying at home, less day light so get to go to bed early, can snuggle up with rugs and watch movies with Jonny Depp in them. :wub:   If I do these things in summer it looks odd.

8 month hold.

That's great that you're ok with Winter darkness! I plan snowboard trips to get through Winter. As long as there's no snow on the ice, I can skate on frozen lakes. Other than that, it can feel like one long root canal, for me. :(  Guessing I have SADD along with the dysthymia.  :blink: But winter certainly has it's charms. I do love a snowstorm and a cozy fire. As long as you dress for it, the Winter outdoors are just fine for long walks. Winter camping is great, since everywhere you go, you can melt snow for water, and not be restricted to being near a stream. And of course, I would not appreciate Spring and Summer unless I was deprived of it for a good long while. :lol: New Zealand must be beautiful in Winter. I bet there is awesome snowboarding there too!

24 months SSRI-free  

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy