hopefullyhopeful23: Zoloft help please! was stopped cold turkey almost a year ago.

hopefullyhopeful23

Hi,
I honestly don't know how to do these forms this is the first I have ever done but I am desperate. I apologize ahead of time for my spelling and grammar.

I will start by saying my past is difficult my parents divorced early and I was raped and abused multiple times by a close guy cousin...I never told until my break down this year. Needless to say I was about 16 when my boyfriend went off to college. I had a break down very depressed and sad and just struggling. 

Before this as a kid I had been diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD for which I took aderal I stopped taking it when my symptoms stopped in high school.

During my issues at 16 I saw a psych Dr and he had me try a ton of meds and checked me for bipolar disorder which I wasn't. I took lexapro for about 6 months and he switched me to a few other things. I honestly can't recall when I got put on the Zoloft but it was shortly before I got pregnant when I was 18.

During my pregnancy my anxiety was horrible. My on would up the dosage then drop it down some I ended up being on 50 mgs for over a year after my son was born I was able to drop it to 25 and took that for a while until I got pregnant again. My second pregancny was horrendous I had horrid gd and had to take glubride and insulin. My nurse overdosed me with insulin on accident and my son was born by csection after that.

Shortly after my son was born my chronic migraines increased so badly that I couldn't function. My primary Dr who I now know is a idiot skad oh your doing great just stop taking it. So I did.....for a month ( this was in April) I did great then in early may I had a horrible panic attack from there it went down hill. The panic became constant so I tried putting myself back om the Zoloft at 50 mgs ( I couldn't get into my Dr).

Next thing I know I was struggling worse than before I had horrible headaches and in July of 2014 I went to the er with one...I ended up after being getting a horrible dose of steroids and reglan...saying stuff about being suicidal.

I was sent to a mental hospital where I was once again yanked off the Zoloft and put on wellbutrin. It didn't do much but made me more suicidal. After about two weeks on it I was tppered of it over two week period. From there I tried a ton of other medications from Prozac, abilify, benzos, lexapro, luvox and cymbalta...finally I decided enough was enough and quit bothering to try new things however because of my PTSD I started taking seroquel 25 mg off and on since July.

I finally switched doctors and started seeing my neuro Dr again. He wanted me to try topamax which lasted about a week I couldn't take the zombie quality. My p Dr suggested trying Zoloft again as by this point I now had the signs of harm ocd ( which is horrible and seems to target my kids) I turned down the Zoloft and continued my therapy. I have been seeing my neuro Dr for my migraines and he has put me on propranolol 60 mg er so I have been taking that for about a month at night. I also take 25 mg seroquel.

I am still struggling since April I am now at the place were I have tiredness, periodic bouts of depression, harm ocd, panic symptoms and anxiety I also don't feel all here quit often. I hate it before all this I didn't have the ocd and the horrible depression and feeling of constant internal shakyness. I have tried CBT, self help books, gluten free giving up caffinee taking natural things, staying busy....nothing is taking this stuff away.

Is the ocd type thoughts just part of the withdrawal? Am I still in withdrawal from the Zoloft,? I need some insight and ideas to keep going. The harm ocd thoughts are killing me. I am scared to be around my family and worry that I can't be trusted. Will this go away with time as well? How much longer am I gonna suffer? I took the Zoloft for about three years mostly at 25 mgs or 50! Please help.

Thank you for reading all this. I hope I posted it in the right place

Hi Hopeful,

Welcome to the forum. It's great that you're here! Yes, you are in the right place...

A moderator will be along to help speak to you about how to stabilize on your current drugs.

Please go to your profile and click on "My Settings" and then in the left-hand column click on "Signature" to create a brief drug history like I have done for myself (below). This will help us to help you better -

Good luck!

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Welcome to the site HH23. You have certainly had a rough time of it, not the least of which was well-meaning but ill-considered dosing with a lot of psychoactive drugs which may have only had the effect of putting your nervous system in an uproar. Before we can advise you of anything we really need to know what drugs you are currently taking. It looks to me like just propanolol and seroquel but it is not clear if you are still taking or planning to take zoloft too. I put all of the drugs you took for any length of time into the drugs interaction checker at drugs.com and came up with some cautions, drugs that really should not be taken together. That list is at the end of this post. The fourth one between propanolol and seroquel might account for some of what you are currently feeling in addition to anything that might be explained by withdrawal syndrome from being switched on and off so many different drugs in a relatively short time. So to start with, please clarify which drugs and their doses you are currently taking and are you taking these drugs on a regular basis at the same time each day as they are prescribed? Also, do you have (or can you get) help with the children and household duties until you get stabilized?

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-3-big.png topiramate ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Topamax (topiramate), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Topiramate can cause increased body temperature and decreased sweating, and these effects may be even greater when combined with medications like QUEtiapine. Heat stroke and hospitalization may occur in some people, especially in warm weather and during vigorous exercise. Children are more likely to experience this problem. Talk with your doctor before using these medications together. Drink plenty of fluids during warm weather and when exercising. Call the doctor if you have decreased sweating or a fever. You may also experience drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness when taking these medications together. Avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-2-big.png propranolol ↔ sertraline

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), Zoloft (sertraline)

Using propranolol together with sertraline may increase the effects of propranolol. Contact your doctor if you experience uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, bluish-colored fingernails, dizziness, weakness, fainting, or seizure (convulsions). If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png sertraline ↔ topiramate

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Topamax (topiramate)

Using sertraline together with topiramate may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png propranolol ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), Seroquel (quetiapine)

QUEtiapine and propranolol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png sertraline ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

GENERALLY AVOID: There is some concern that quetiapine may have additive cardiovascular effects in combination with other drugs that are known to prolong the QT interval of the electrocardiogram. In clinical trials, quetiapine was not associated with a persistent increase in QT intervals, and there was no statistically significant difference between quetiapine and placebo in the proportions of patients experiencing potentially important changes in ECG parameters including QT, QTc, and PR intervals. However, QT prolongation and torsade de pointes have been reported during postmarketing use in cases of quetiapine overdose and in patients with risk factors such as underlying illness or concomitant use of drugs known to cause electrolyte imbalance or increase QT interval. In general, the risk of an individual agent or a combination of agents causing ventricular arrhythmia in association with QT prolongation is largely unpredictable but may be increased by certain underlying risk factors such as congenital long QT syndrome, cardiac disease, and electrolyte disturbances (e.g., hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia). In addition, the extent of drug-induced QT prolongation is dependent on the particular drug(s) involved and dosage(s) of the drug(s).

MANAGEMENT: Coadministration of quetiapine with other drugs that can prolong the QT interval should generally be avoided. Caution and clinical monitoring are recommended if concomitant use is required. Patients should be advised to seek prompt medical attention if they experience symptoms that could indicate the occurrence of torsade de pointes such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, palpitation, irregular heart rhythm, shortness of breath, or syncope.

Interactions between your selected drugs and food
interaction-2-big.png propranolol ↔ food

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol)

Food can enhance the levels of propranolol in your body. You shoud take propranolol at the same time each day, preferably with or immediately following meals. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Avoid drinking alcohol, which could increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking propranolol. Propranolol is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hello, I have got that too, following withdrawal of Lyrica. Somewhere on the web I found that it is because of lack of GABA. Na ja, everybody says it is part of the withdrawal and it disappears. But I have it already 3 months and it is always only worse. I know I should be angry with the doctors to put me on such drug, but I am wondering why my body is so lazy and happy in its misery and does not do anything.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Martina,

What are you referring to the harm ocd? If so I have currently been off all medications since august and the ocd stuff has been there since then. I am currently in therapy.

I am only taking propranolol 60mg and seroquel 25 mg. I do not plan and retaking a sssri. I am currently in therapy. The propranolol is to prevent headaches and migraines and the seroquel is for sleep and depression. One day once I get my harm ocd and anxiety under control I would love to wean off it

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HH--

If you could fill in your sig line, that would be helpful to us as the thread develops, so we don't have to read it all from the beginning (all the mods are volunteers and we don't have a ton of time).  Here are instructions for that:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I highly recommend that you read the books Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker and Medication Madness by Peter Breggin. Or at least get them and skim through them. Given your story, I think you'll find them quite valuable.

It sounds to me like what you needed was therapy and caring support, and what you got instead was a ride on a very destructive prescription drug merry-go-round that has done you a great deal of harm. I am so, so sorry. We hear lots of stories like yours here.

And I doubt that the Adderall helped. I am so angry that these brain-altering drugs are routinely given to children by people who would be appalled at the idea of feeding kids illegal meth or pot, even though these drugs are just as powerful.

I am confused about your drug history (what you took when, how much, when you quit, etc.) so I will not attempt to give you any suggestions specific to that, but if you decide you want to reduce either of the drugs you are now on in the future, please read through our Tapering section, starting with this:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of understanding and support here.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Yes, I was reffering to harm OCD. Today it was already so bad, I am already considering this option to give my children for some time to my mother. I am not happy about it but the security of my children should be on the first place.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

I went back and added some paragraph breaks to make your initial post easier to read and understand and follow. I didn't change any of the words, it's all still yours. :-)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Yes, I was reffering to harm OCD. Today it was already so bad, I am already considering this option to give my children for some time to my mother. I am not happy about it but the security of my children should be on the first place.

So great to see you taking charge of your illness. And being aware of must be done. More power to you! 

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free