SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

baroquep

• Moderator Emeritus

The calculations I made were based on you reducing from 50mg Pristiq, not the 75mg Effexor.  Remember that we think it should have been 100mg Effexor for 50mg Pristiq.

The problems you are having now may be delayed withdrawal symptoms from your change over to 75mg and going too quickly at the end of last year after you changed to Effexor.

Please re-read my previous post.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure if you have seen these but I suggest you check them out before you see the doctor:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

What a ride that was … biggest emotional wave since starting this taper.  With everything that has been going on, I decided to visit my doctor to hopefully find out what is happening with me.  In particular the reasons behind me losing my eyesight last month and to ensure that what I’m experiencing is actually related to withdrawal from Effexor and not something more serious.  Unfortunately my regular family doctor was not available and I ended up seeing an intern.  He seemed to think that a quick switch to Prozac was the solution and boy did he make it sound like the answer everyone's prayers, so simple and seamless.  Fortunately for me, I have been reading these threads for a long time and think I can safely assume that it’s not quite a simple as they make it sound.    He also suggested that I might increase my dosage to 49.0, but knowing how powerful these drugs are at minute doses, I do not want to upset my system any further and have decided to stay at 44.0mg until I completely stabilize.  

Temporary loss of eyesight can be caused by a detached retina or Amaurosis fugax which is much more serious.  Because I’d had a stabbing pain in the left side of my brain a couple of weeks before losing my eyesight, they want to rule out a possible stroke or heart issues as it does run in my family.  As the optometrist didn’t find any evidence of a detached retina last, he ordered further testing and I will be seeing a neurologist on Friday.  Had an ultrasound on my neck on Monday to see if there was anything trapped in the veins that lead up to the brain which could also have been the cause.  Also had numerous blood tests to test for inflammation and to ensure that my thyroid levels are okay.  

The most troubling symptoms besides the one mentioned above are slow thinking, lack of focus, confusion, inability to handle stress, easily overwhelmed, crying spells, emotional volatility to the point that I felt my brain was shutting down and all of this caused me to retreat directly into the path of fear and anxiety.   

With respect to withdrawal, after experiencing this emotional crisis (to me), I requested a week off work to see if I could stabilize as well as take a close look, without the distractions of my stressful job, at what is going on with me.  Feel compelled to try and determine if this sudden crisis of emotion related to the initial switch from Pristiq to Effexor (possibility), my last dose reduction, the decrease in hold periods, was 10% too much for my system now that I’m at almost 50% of my original dose, and/or what things in my diet might be contributing to this lack of stabilization and really could be a combination of all of these factors.  Obviously there is no black or white answer when it comes to the brain, but feel I need to take a look at the big picture and try to come up with an educated guess.

I’ve eliminated all supplements with the exception of vitamin C, Omega 3, magnesium, evening primrose oil and iron.  This seems to have calmed me down a tiny bit over the last couple of days.  Woke up this morning feeling relaxed and well until I was halfway through my usual morning coffee only to discover that withdrawal symptoms ramped up noticeably within minutes so I dumped out the coffee and will be replacing it with decaf or tea.  Obviously I’ve hit a point in this taper where my system can no longer tolerate caffeine.  It also caused my temperature to fluctuate into the sweats, which I’m still feeling an hour laster, so I’ve obviously been ignoring the signs of how coffee is affecting me in withdrawal.  

The other big revelation and this is huge, while I have not been experiencing many physical withdrawal symptoms in the last couple of months, the emotional deregulation (neuro-emotions) have been sneakily creeping in and are now at an all time high.  Have read and reread the thread on neuro-emotions to come to terms and learn how to handle this symptom.  Because I had been feeling so well emotionally after stabilizing from the switch, really well actually, I haven’t had to focus on emotional decline in the past.  While I did notice that my moods were not the greatest since this last reduction, I didn’t really make the full connection until now.  For me the tapering has been very tricky, as the withdrawal symptoms have been fairly subtle for the most part (with the exception of the switch).   I’ve been able to soldier through the discomfort and just figured this was what I signed up for when I decided I wanted off of these drugs.  I’ve concluded that not only is it essential for the physical symptoms to abate, it is imperative to watch and record emotional health as part of the big picture.

So for now, the only thing for me to do is to stay at this dose and see what the next couple of months bring.  Will I find after cutting out extra supplements and coffee, and doing a long hold that my emotions will level out?  Will I find the clearness of mind I started to have and was thrilled to enjoy as I continued to reduce this poison out of my system return?  Guess no one can really answer these questions.  

Am on the fence about whether I will continue to taper at this time.  If I do change anything, I may try and sneak down to 37.5mg at 1% decrements so I don’t have to use an expensive compounding pharmacist.  The doctor did mention that the compounding pharmacist may not be 100% accurate when mixing and reducing the dose and I might do better with the manufacturer’s pill.  Haven’t really decided yet as I’m too afraid, scared *&^%less actually, to make any changes when it comes to this medication, even minor ones.  I will be going back to work on Monday after some much needed rest and need to be the most functional person I can be under the circumstances.  Praying that these small changes will bring stabilization and clarity of mind.    
Edited by ChessieCat
changed font size

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

"It also caused my temperature to fluctuate into the sweats, which I’m still feeling an hour laster, so I’ve obviously been ignoring the signs of how coffee is affecting me in withdrawal."

Do you drink you coffee hot?  I enjoy mine hot but I drink Caro, a coffee substitute, and find that I start sweating a lot for quite a while afterwards.  I think it might also increase my anxiety a bit.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chessie, yes, I do drink coffee hot.  The sweats lasted on and off for the better part of the day from half a cup of coffee and exasperated existing withdrawal symptoms so I will be cutting out coffee from here on in.  Obviously as I've gone down in dose, my sensitivities have been heightened and I can no longer handle caffeine and many of the supplements that I have been taking for years.  

Did a lot of reading on Mad In America and found some enlightening information about emotional deregulation caused by withdrawal ... it explains a lot and along with the thread on neuro-emotions has given me a good understanding of what has been happening to me over the last month.  The main reason for wanting to come off of these drugs was that I felt like I had been pharmaceutically lobotomized for years ... well now I feel like I'm in crazy town, on a tightrope constantly trying to balance myself so that I don't fall.  

There is so much misinformation on the internet and the doctors really don't have a clue what these drugs do to people when they try and stop.  The doctor I saw on Monday did suggest that my original condition was coming back now that I was reducing the drugs which I found disheartening.  He also said that while slow tapering is probably a good idea, maybe I was just prolonging the withdrawal unnecessarily ... that some people CT off these drugs to get the withdrawal over with within a few weeks which I find highly irresponsible.  

The only people that really know what these drugs do are the people that are going off of them and they need proper supports in place.  There are too many people experiencing the exact same symptoms and doctors need to be thoroughly educated on the risks associated with tapering off of these drugs.  Perhaps the pharmaceutical companies should be compelled to fund clinics and/or educate doctors to offer ongoing support instead of denying their experiences.  Blackbox warnings are of limited value.  

The most important thing for me is to have a clear understanding of what is happening to my mind so I can cope and to have reassurances that it will get better.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)

• Moderator Emeritus

Think I have discovered what may be at the root of the problem that has been causing me so much grief over the last month.  Two years ago I started seeing a naturopath to try and get my thyroid levels optimized (hypothyroidism) to deal with hair loss, extreme fatigue, and a host of other symptoms.  She had been prescribing me a cocktail of supplements to deal with adrenal fatigue from chronically low cortisol levels. The difference these supplements made was night and day and I continued to take these supplements up until two days ago.  One of these supplements was adrenal cortex.  Unfortunately for me, I wasn't aware that antidepressant withdrawal increases cortisol levels therefore making this supplement unnecessary, and from what I have been reading, very dangerous.  I'm feeling better, not 100%, and imagine it is going to take a bit of time for everything to level out and just thankful to have discovered this important piece of the puzzle before causing myself any serious trouble.

I still want off Effexor, would like to resume this taper in a couple of months though will be lengthening the holds and reducing the percentage of the taper and see how things go.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a relief when we get an answer.  I can understand your thankfulness.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ChessieCat, based on your knowledge and experience, what do you recommend I do from here?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Journal - feeling 1000% better today.  Much more like myself, calm, relaxed and getting a bit of hope back.  Am now convinced that the shortened holds, along with the adrenal cortex which is a big no no in withdrawal were two big factors in my emotional meltdown.  That and neuro-emotions.  After having my emotions suppressed for so long because of these drugs, I guess it's to be expected.  No longer waking up with a feeling of doom and danger and actually going to venture out into the world today.  Am still planning on holding, and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to rock the boat.  Simply want to stabilize and get on with life and leave the obsession to get off of these drugs in the background ... it's time.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news that you are feeling so much better.  Other than not taking the supplement and holding, the only think I can think of is getting your thyroid levels checked if you haven't done this for a while.

"Simply want to stabilize and get on with life and leave the obsession to get off of these drugs in the background ... it's time."

I'm also pleased to read this.  When you reach this stage and the obsessing stops/reduces, the tapering fades into the background.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chessie, thanks for your response.  I did have my thyroid checked last week as I thought it might be part of the bigger picture and everything came out normal.  Am feeling a little wobbly today but imagine that it's likely anxiety relating to returning to work tomorrow when I'm not 100% sure that I'll be able to manage the onslaught of guaranteed stress.  My response to stress has been progressively deteriorating since the last reduction on February 20th.  How long does it normally take someone to stabilize after a dose reduction?  Realize it's been less than two months now though it's starting to feel like I'm never going to stabilize.  Today has been a bit of a challenge.  If I don't stabilize over the next couple of months, could that be an indication that I need to stay on these drugs?  or that I might have to eventually up-dose?  Am really confused as to what to do and the doctors I am working with honestly don't have the faintest clue ............ even your best guess as to what I might do would be appreciated.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't help too much with thyroid issues, but I do know that many people have a "normal" lab result but are actually suffering symptoms of hypothyroidism. Do you have the actual lab results or just your doctor's verbal "OK"?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Scallywag, thanks for your response.  I'm not concerned about my thyroid as it is at an optimal level.  I follow my levels very closely and am well-versed in that respect.  What I was hoping to find out, based on your experience, is how long it normally takes someone to stabilize after a reduction that has caused problems; if a person hasn't stabilized three or more months after a reduction, is an up-dose indicated; or could that mean that the individual may need to stay on this medication for life?  I understand that not everyone is able to get off of these drugs and am starting to wonder if I might be one of those people.  I realize that no one has a crystal ball but because doctors have no idea how to safely taper people off of these drugs, in particular my doctor, am wondering if you could provide me with your best educated and experienced guess on these questions.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good news that you are taking your thyroid into consideration and keeping your checks up to date.  I just wanted to mention it because it can be so easy to blame things on withdrawal that we might forget about other things which may be causing an issue.

To your question.  I think you have already answered it yourself.  We are each an experiment where N=1.  We could tell you it will take 6 months and it might end up being 1 week.  We could say 1 week and it might end up being 2 years.  I'm stating extreme examples to help you to realise that we just don't know.  And of course life stressors happen and these are also unpredictable.

However I would caution you about anticipatory-anxiety  Of course we think about what might happen.  But unfortunately we don't just think of the possibilities of what might happen but we then add to the anxiety by trying to think of ways to deal with those possible situations should they arise.  And then we get ourselves so stressed out because we are trying to solve a variety of things that may not even happen.  And stress slows healing. 

Acceptance

"I understand that not everyone is able to get off of these drugs and am starting to wonder if I might be one of those people."

You aren't going to know until you get there, and you still have a way to go yet.  So this is unnecessary worry.  Tell yourself that you will cross that bridge if/when you get to that point.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chessie, thank you very much for your wise and empathetic response, it is much appreciated.  I am going to read those links now.  Have a great night.  And thanks again.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - Woke up at 2:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep.  Don't feel any real anxiety in the true sense but my mind is constantly spinning.  Had a good talk with my boss and everything at work is good so obviously my reaction to everything was completely out of context.  Thank you neuro-emotions ... not loving the roller-coaster at all.  Have started listening to headphones to try and distract myself when things start feeling overwhelming at work.  Have made an appointment to see a psychotherapist to teach me how to detach and how to accept what is happening to me.  The concept of acceptance feels foreign to me when I'm in this head-space and the lack of sleep doesn't help.  Read a thread on acknowledge, accept and float but find that even when I can remember this concept, a much more powerful instinct still fights it.  Feeling down today, feels like I am never going to feel happy again and am too tired and worn out to change the tape.      

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - up at 2:00 am again, this time I did manage to get back to sleep.  Feeling slightly better until around lunchtime and then really started noticing the strangeness in the head that is withdrawal, not profound but there.  Went away after I ate lunch.  Not feeling as edgy and my mood is better than yesterday, more hopeful.  The withdrawal seems to have shifted though, I'm more aware of it in a sense.  Prior to this, while I knew I was in withdrawal, it was different, somehow hazy, and now it seems like I've passed through a cloud that makes me feel more present, more aware, and not it a tunnel, if that makes any sense.  Feeling like I'm not in such a dream-state, that I'm back down on earth.  In any event, feeling better, calmer and hopeful, so that is a good sign.  Am going to stay at 44.0 mg for another month and see how I'm feeling by the end of May.  After the last reduction, I have absolutely no desire to speed things up ... guess if I've learned anything, it is an absolute much to have patience.  So am back in the headspace of being kinder to myself which is something I clearly forgot about in my obsessive desire to get off of this drug.      

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - withdrawal milder than yesterday.  Had what felt like was going to turn into major headache that never materialized.  Think the worst of it is over now.  Read Karma's thread and really like what she had to say about "Joy", if I remember correctly, she would hold a little longer if she noticed she was losing her joy ... sounds like a very good plan to me.  This is something that I will use to determine when I decide to move forward with tapering.  All there is to do at this point is wait to get to a strong and stable mind-space.      

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - no withdrawal symptoms at all today ... first day in what seems like a very long time, even though it's only been about a month and a half.  Will be calling the pharmacist tomorrow and asking her to prepare another month at 44.0 mg as I want to feel completely settled before making any further changes.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - Looks like I am finally starting to stabilize which is a major relief.  Have now had five good days without withdrawal symptoms.  Best news of all is that it my mind is much clearer and my mood is improving ... key indicators that things are moving in the right direction.  The one thing I have been dealing with is extreme fatigue, so much so, that I have been coming home from work and crawling into bed around 7:00 pm and pretty much sleeping through until the alarm goes off at 6:00 am.  Doing better today, fatigue has lifted, guessing it was the tail end of my body/mind trying to stabilize from the two cuts back in January/February.  In any event, have absolutely no desire to rush back to tapering, obviously my brain needs a good rest ... a really long one.  Called the pharmacist and she is preparing another month at 44.0mg.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - picked up my prescription for another month at 44.0 mg, and believe it or not, am relieved and happy to have finally found the patience to hold.  Everything is moving in the right direction ... almost a week of good stable moods and feeling much better  every day.  Energy levels are good, fatigue is gone, feeling settled, mind is clear and am not getting stressed out and then having a meltdown because I am unable to cope.  It was a scary ride, feeling so out of control with no end in sight ... a continuum of unrelenting panic.  Will not be messing around with holds ever again, I've learned my lesson well.  Effexor withdrawal is not something to be messed with; at least for me, it is a fire-breathing dragon ... truly a beast.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - Still feeling pretty good, steady and stable.  Have had a metallic-like taste in my mouth again that started last night.  While sleep is good, the extreme fatigue seems to come and go.  Over the last week, the fatigue will hit me like a wave and when I've been able, I go back to bed for a couple of hours.  Other than the on-and-off fatigue and metallic mouth, no other withdrawal symptoms to report.  Have decided to resume tapering at the end of May and will do a test reduction of 3.25 mg which is a 7% reduction.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - still moving forward though am aware that my CNS is still fragile.  Every so often, I am still getting a gentle, at least it is gentle, reminder that this long hold is necessary. 

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - still moving forward ... though have had diarrhea for the last few days.  Am going to decrease the magnesium dosage I take everyday and hopefully that will help.  Have been taking 800mg for about a year now which really helped with the constipation that Pristiq caused.  Guess as I've reduced the Effexor (which I remember being very constipating as well), my body may need less magnesium to counteract the diarrhea.  Will take 600mg tonight and see if that helps.  While I am feeling a lot better than I was a few weeks ago, am still experiencing cognitive and emotional challenges.  Mad at myself for speeding it up and now having to hold for so long; two months now at 44mg, so missed two opportunities to taper further.  Hoping, praying actually, that over the next month cognitive function, emotional equilibrium and hopefulness return ... really need it back.  Imagine I could be in a much worse state if I hadn't slowed it down, rather than pushed ahead, so am trying to take comfort in the ability to move forward towards steady and stable and learning how to be patient.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - still moving forward ... or am I?  Yesterday was a day filled with abject frustration and anger.  Thoughts of suicide that I tried to rationalize were withdrawal but woke up this morning with loud thoughts of suicide being the best option at this point.  Am really sick of this, obviously my mind does not like this dose and am now wondering if after two months, I should just reduce it slightly.  The anger is going to get me in trouble if I don't learn to manage it.  Even thought that I could just drive my car into the front of a mac truck.    Throwing my arms up in the air as one part of me says, keep on this path and hold for another month, it will get better and the other part of me is tired of the emotional roller coaster and feeling like I will never find emotional stability again ... 

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time at the moment.  However, I think that what you are going through is part of the process.  Maybe it's got something to do with our emotions coming back on line.  Having been on the drugs and being numb and then suddenly feeling again is a big thing.  It's overwhelming.  I think there is also a grieving process involved in the mix.

It might be helpful to do some journalling.  For example, what are you angry about and who are you angry at?  Getting these written down and out of your head can help.  And of course we are frustrated.  We want to feel better and we want to feel better now, especially after having felt crappy for so long.  And I think it can feel worse when we have had glimpses of feeling better and then start feeling crap again.  Our hopes get dashed and this can also make us angry because we realise what we have missed out on for so long and we can also start thinking why bother.

Maybe journal the good and the bad so that you can see that you have made progress.

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Irritability, Anger, Rage

Journalling - Therapeutic Writing & Health Benefits

I can recall a mod posting not long after I joined SA something like when you don't know whether to taper or not and start feeling anxious about making the decision is the time when you need to hold.  My personal opinion, and I know some others feel the same, is that it is better to hold for longer.

I have found the Rubik's cube really helpful to remind myself of what is happening as my brain is healing.  Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery  If you have ever done a Rubik's cube (I've had to solve it using a YouTube video) there are times when you think you have really messed it up and won't be able to get it back to being anywhere near solved.

This also helps remind me of the work that is going on from best-description-of-healing-process:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.

I know it can be hard, but try to remind yourself that it is only temporary.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Chessie, I'm going to reread the links and remember to reread them often and then read them again.

Journal - Actually feeling much better today and I can feel it in my bones, rather than just wishful thinking.  It's a pleasant surprise as I haven't felt this way in a long long time, like I'm getting the skip back in my step.  Work is better though this is the one place that really triggers me.  I work with a woman that I really dislike and her habits annoy the hell out of me.  Have been putting on headphones when she crunches and munches her food like a savage ... and trying to remain calm and distracted.

Tapering Schedule

Baroquep,  been reading your thread.  You are going through a lot!  Glad you are seeing some light.  I know how hopeless it can feel sometimes.  Hang in there, it will continue to improve.

Cheers!

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - while I'm not going to take anything for granted as things can change from day to day, actually hour to hour, I am really starting to feel that I'm stabilizing.  Mood has improved tenfold, exercising again and cognitive function is returning.  Am also starting to get back the desire to socialize after isolating myself for over two months.  Holter monitor test and blood work all came back normal so that is a relief to not have to worry about other health concerns.  My eyesight seems to be getting better as well with fewer days of blurry vision.  Have reduced supplements to the bare minimum so as not to aggravate anything.  Continue to take synthroid, cytomel, omega 3s, vitamin C and magnesium.  Think it is only human nature to want a quick fix when feeling badly, but will not add any additional supplements, as in my experience, it has only made things worse. If everything continues to improve I plan to reduce 3.25mg which is about 7% of my current dose.  I have completely accepted that it is going to take me six years or more years to get this poison out of my system without disrupting my life.  While I'm not happy about that fact, there is no other choice unfortunately.  

Tapering Schedule

Good for you!  Hope improvement continues.  

I know how you feel about the long time to get off the drugs.  I am on 3 and each is a hypnotic.  Will take me at least 8 years it looks like.  Yikes!  Trying not to think about it, but does depress me at times ...

Healing will come to us all eventually ...

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - continuing to feel better everyday.  Cognitive functioning is returning to normal.  I'm relieved to be able to think clearly and manage my job without getting severely overwhelmed, which was happening to me on a daily basis not too long ago.  It has made a world of difference holding this long and worth every extra day that I waited.  While I'm nervous about tapering again, am hoping that reducing by 7% (3.25mg) instead of 10% (5mg), it will be easier on my CNS and I will be able to start tapering regularly again.  I'm planning on reducing to 40.75mg on May 20 which will be a full three months since my last reduction. 

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - bad days.  Ruminating thoughts that I couldn't turn off, paranoia, SI, emotional extremes, cognitive disfunction ... so much so, that I thought I was losing my mind -- again.  I've managed to push through and am convinced it was brought on by stress at work and severely magnified by withdrawal.  Have been holding for almost three months now and honestly don't feel that holding any longer is going to get me to a better place.  

When I'm in the state I was for the last few days, I don't seem to have the ability to self-regulate, while I do have some level of consciousness that these symptoms are caused by withdrawal, they seem to take on a life of their own that I can't seem to control.  It's like there is a big fight going on in my head, one little voice is saying "it's withdrawal, don't worry, it will pass" but a louder and stronger voice is drowning that out, trying to convince me otherwise.

Was going to go to my family doctor and just go on sick leave as if this happens again, I don't know whether or not I will be strong enough to resist what my mind is telling me.  I work at a law firm and inevitably there is going to be ongoing stress that I am going to have to be able to deal with on a rational level but when the intensity of the withdrawal happens, it's like a switch is turned on in my brain and I turn into a loony toon, even though I know at some level this isn't true.

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal - wondering now if the melt-down I had a few days ago was a wave?  Feeling better though realizing  my cognitive functioning is still impaired.  Can't seem to make decisions or find I'm second-guessing myself over things that shouldn't cause so much distress.  I'll make a decision on how to approach something and then quickly change my mind and then back again ... it's bloody exhausting.  Had a pretty straightforward task at work today and it was more than a little challenging, while I persevered and got the job done, I ended up wasting a lot of resources to get a fairly routine task completed.  Finding my confidence is at an all-time low, just want to crawl under the covers and never come out.  Have a visit with my granddaughter tomorrow, and out with friends tomorrow night, something I would normally really look forward to, yet a part of me wants to cancel and stay in bed all weekend.  Finding life very challenging right now.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Question for moderators - I've been holding for three months now to stabilize from my last 10% reduction after running into trouble back in February.  Not 100% sure whether or not what I have been experiencing over the last three months is just a normal part of withdrawing from antidepressants or if I should hold a little longer.  For the most part, I think I have pretty much stabilized but every now any again, usually triggered by stress, I'll have intense emotions, ruminating thoughts and cognitive difficulties ... is this typical?  Is this a wave?   Decided to reduce 7% instead of 10% hoping that the adjustment won't be as bad as it was back in February.   So in essence, I have been experiencing far more good days than bad over the last few months and wonder if I should test the waters ... my apprehension and self-survival is heightened because of what happened back in February and need a bit of guidance as to what I should do ... anyone?

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Indecision causes stress.

If everything else around you is going okay and you are in good health then you might be fine doing the smaller drop.

Have you seen this:  Withdrawal Normal Description?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks ChessieCat, yes, the stress can be a little overwhelming.  Have reduced to 40.25 today and will see how everything goes.  Am a little nervous after what I experienced back in February and am prepared to up-dose if I run into trouble this time.  The emotional ups and downs have certainly been challenging after not having emotions for so many years.  Guess you have to be careful what you wish for, while I hated that anti-depressants all but eradicated my emotions, at times it can be pretty intense to actually feel them.  

Tapering Schedule

Hi Baroquep and thanks for posting your journey -

I'm on 50mg of Pristiq a day and am looking to talk to my psychiatrist to switch to Effexor to taper off slowly like you...

Has it been difficult to get the specific percentage reductions? Yours look very specific.

You have been specifically on the XR version or the regular version?

Thanks

Prescribed 50/mg a day Pristiq for Depression in 2009 plus Mirtazipine for sleep. Successfully tapered off of Mirtazapine in 2014.

Due to continued issues with sleeping, began taking Trazodone in 2015 for sleep, currently on 75/mg a day.

12/3/17 - Now switching to Lunesta, 3 mg at night

Pristiq - 5/27/17 - 45/mg a day, 1 whole 25mg tablet, 1 crushed to equal 20mg, 6/28/17 - 40/mg a day, 1 whole 25mg tablet, 1 crushed to equal 15mg, 8/5/17 - 36/mg a day, 1 whole 25mg tablet, 1 crushed to equal 11mg, 9/9/17 - 32.4/mg a day, 1 whole 25mg tablet, 1 crushed to equal 7.4mg, 10/11/17 - 29.16/mg a day, 1 whole 25 mg tablet, 1 crushed to equal 4.16mg, 12/3/17 - 25 mg a day, 1 whole 25 mg tablet, 1/10/18 - 22.5 mg a day crushed divided into 2 caplets, 2 mg Lunesta at night, 2/20/18 - 20mg a day, 75/mg Trazodone