Undo: To reinstate or wait?

Undo

Hey all,

Haven't been on here in a while because I've been doing much better and have subsequently been busy with the rest of life, which has been nice. I switched over from Cipralex (10 mg) to Cymbalta (60 mg)..a reasonably rapid switch by decreasing Cipralex by 1mg every few days, then starting at 30mg of Cymbalta once at 5mg of Cipralex, and eventually upping to 60mg of Cymbalta. Generally smooth except for a few days around the 1 week mark into 30mg Cymbalta. I'm by no means convinced that this decent stretch has been due to the Cymbalta, though, as it started earlier than I'd have expected it to. Either way, though, the akathisia stuff is still there in terms of physical symptoms, but the mood stuff and agitation has been almost a non-factor for the past month and a half. It's come back the past couple of days, though, and prompted a couple of questions.

So here's the story: I was out with friends on Saturday night and drank more than I have in a while, but not a crazy amount. Was feeling a little hot/nauseous going into the night, but was fine for the evening. That night I woke up in the early morning and vomited, and was alternating between sweats and chills all night. I initially thought it was a hangover, but the more it went on, the more I thought it was actually a stomach bug. (My brother and his whole family had had stomach "flu" stuff the past week and I'd spent the past two evenings with them, so not a big stretch to say I caught it from them). I didn't get out of bed Sunday until 3pm, laid on the couch for most of the rest of the day and was in bed by 9pm. (Interestingly, was able to sleep no problem, which is hard for me at the best of times, much more so if I nap, etc.) Barely ate anything all day...didn't throw up or have diarrhea (sorry for the details) but had no appetite. Went to work yesterday and suffered through it, forced myself to eat, rested and went to bed early at home. Same story today, though I'm feeling a bit better in terms of stomach discomfort.

The point of all this on this forum, though, is that I've had a return to mood symptoms the past two nights, and I'm curious about the connection. I know there's a lot of stuff out there recently about the gut being the "second brain"...so is it logical to think that a stomach virus would have an effect on mood? Or is it possibly related to lack of nutrition from poor eating over the past couple of days? Or is it possible that the gut issues are affecting how the Cymbalta is being digested? I take it in the morning before breakfast, and while I'm not throwing up, I wonder if a viral gut thing could delay digestion which would have the effect of messing with the timing of when I'm taking the drug? Anyhow...any thoughts on the connection between a stomach/gut sickness and a resurgence of symptoms would be welcome! (and, of course, ideas on how to mitigate the effects...)

Thanks,

Undo

Underlying Condition Chronic Daily Headache (NDPH)

April-July 2008: Cipralex (10mg) and Elavil. CT both in July.

Sept-Dec 2008: Cipralex (10mg). Started too abruptly, ended with short taper. No WD.

Jan-Mar 2009: Elavil. No + or - effects.

Sept 2009-July 2014: Cipralex (10mg). Tapered over approx. 1 month (5 mg, then off).

Apr-Aug 2014: Gabapentin. Tapered over three weeks.

Sept-Dec 2014: Sertraline. Side effects. On doc's orders, tapered by going to 25mg for 5 days, then off.

Dec 2014-ongoing: Withdrawal: flu-like symptoms, insomnia, weakness/paresthesia, dizziness, agitation.

March 2015: reinstated, over a few weeks, 5mg Cipralex

June/July 2015: upped to 10mg Cipralex, no noticeable effects on above symptoms, but still taking it.

Summer 2015: less insomnia and dizziness, more anxiety and depression with strong paresthesia/akathisia, waves and windows (fluctuating a few days at a time typically).

Noone, huh? I'm pretty much over the stomach bug now, but really tired and still on edge with the return of stronger symptoms. Not sure whether they're physically stronger or whether I'm just getting worked up about them again.

Sept-Dec 2008: Cipralex (10mg). Started too abruptly, ended with short taper. No WD.

Sept 2009-July 2014: Cipralex (10mg). Tapered over approx. 1 month (5 mg, then off).

Sept-Dec 2014: Sertraline. Side effects. On doc's orders, tapered by going to 25mg for 5 days, then off.

Dec 2014-ongoing: Withdrawal: flu-like symptoms, insomnia, weakness/paresthesia, dizziness, agitation.

June/July 2015: upped to 10mg Cipralex, no noticeable effects on above symptoms, but still taking it.

Summer 2015: less insomnia and dizziness, more anxiety and depression with strong paresthesia/akathisia, waves and windows (fluctuating a few days at a time typically).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Undo,

I would imagine that the mood symptoms would be related to the alcohol.  There was another member who had a couple of drinks and had issues afterwards.

escitalopram food

Applies to: escitalopram

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous systemicon1.png depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the reply, CC.

I'm actually on Cymbalta now, not escitalopram, but the warning is likely the same. I've used alcohol moderately throughout the time that I've been on meds, and through my WD. Usually that means a drink a night with or after dinner, sometimes two, and once every few months a few more than that, but not a crazy amount ever. It's never been an issue before, though I do acknowledge it's known as a depressant, so it might be worth restricting further during withdrawal. I still suspect, though, that this recent recurrence has more to do with the stomach bug than with alcohol...been super tired all week too and the stomach is still a little off.

I'm just really sick of having to fight my mood to get through every day...it was really nice to have a break from that for a month or two and I had the hope that it'd be a permanent improvement. Oh well.