SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ AliG: Surviving

AliG

51 minutes ago, AliG said:

Just a quick add - on while I'm here, to say that I'm doing so well and don't really think much about withdrawal, anymore. I feel " normal " again, and will probably write a success story fairly soon. At least once I'm convinced that this isn't just a long window !   ;)  Probably, in May at the 4 year mark. I know it seems like such a long time, but a lot of it has been feeling so much better after the 2 year mark. I consider it to be more like " fine - tuning" from that point on. Not perfect, by any means but livable and able to enjoy life , most of the time.

It has been some windows and waves and life stressors - since then, but it's always been heading in an upwardly positive direction.  :)  For that, I'm very thankful.

I  am happy for you and hopeful.

AliG,

Though I know its wrong to ask and there are no answers ... but still i am off 24 months and not in myself.

I still feel no joy..  i am able to face people but with difficulties but i mostly I give up on meeting.

Physical issues gotten better.. but how patient it need me to be.

When I see of people who put me to meds even though I refused initially.. i just got these infurious emotions.. they took guarantee of my well being... quoting doctor is doing best.

These people were very close and now I just couldn't bare the sight, sound of them. Those worda keep ringing in my ears.

I know forgivance will give  me peace.. but i am not able to do so.  Its sheer knowledge as I  am suffering and they have been enjoying all time... atleast when they not consider me. 

Please help me.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

Bhasski. I'm sorry. I understand how hard it can be. It sounds like you have some anhedonia and neuro - emotions happening. These are both withdrawal symptoms and will start to recede, in time. It may take a little longer than you would like ~ everyone has their own individual timeline.

Acceptance is key and even though there is some anger at how and why this happened ~ it is better for you to let it go, if you can. Holding in, a lot of pent- up emotions is ultimately causing you harm. Forgiveness, is the way forward both for you and your family . In essence though, the forgiveness is mainly for you ~ you don't have to agree with their attitude or manner towards you ~ it's not necessarily right, but for your own sake it is healthier to let it go and move on. Forgiveness, is for you and your peace of mind ~ freedom.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Ali,

Your story is so inspiring and it is wonderful to hear you feel "normal"!  I was going to PM you but then thought maybe my question could help others as well so thought I'd post it here.

You mentioned feeling depressed on the medication.  I too am having this chemical depression probably due to tolerance at this point (and/or from my decreasing/increasing so much over the years).  I have several symptoms but it is this awful depression that is probably affecting me the most. It is a really bad combination of apathy, anhedonia, and SI (pretty constant).  I am going to start a very slow taper soon and hope this will lift at some point during the tapering process.  

Anyway, my question is if you experienced intense apathy?  If so, how did you push through it?  I am finding it hard to care about anything, do anything that might help me it is so bad (it is embarrassing but even getting supplements that might help me seems like an impossible task).  I quit my job in September and don't have much to distract me (children, etc). I do try to get out here and there, see friends sometimes and spend time with my partner (when he is home), try to do some very gentle short walks when I can as well as meditation and mindfulness but most of the time my body just wants to lie down and I spend a lot of time reading on here.  What did you do to combat this dark depression especially if it was accompanied by apathy?  I hope my questions makes sense.

Congratulations again on your recovery!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Hi WR. Yes, best to post it here. I would think that the depression will hopefully start to lift as you taper, as long as you start to work on the other possible causes at the same time. 

I did experience quite intense apathy and anhedonia and I find that I still have to be aware of those aspects of W/D as they tend to become sticky symptoms that really don't want to leave.

There were many times that I just fully gave into it ( apathy)~ and let it be. I didn't push so hard and if I was tired ( which I always was) then I would often "flake out" on the couch and doze : usually with cortisol, ( so no real rest) or read during the day. I was lucky that I didn't have to hold down a job. I didn't feel guilty as I knew what my body and brain were going through, particularly as a lot of the time, I would be up all night with no sleep, so I knew I needed some Zz's when I could manage to.

I tried to be gentle with myself and that's what I would suggest you do. It's far too easy during this process to put unnecessary pressure on yourself ~ I found by easing up and slowing down , my CNS was able to rest and repair.

I spent a lot of time reading and researching and still do. I spend less time with friends now and that's ok - it's my choice.

I also tried the opposite ~ pushing through ~ going to the gym for " pump" after zero sleep : and fell in a heap!  It didn't work. So, my advice would be to listen to your body and try and give it what it needs ~ if that is rest , then so be it.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

8 minutes ago, AliG said:

Hi WR. Yes, best to post it here. I would think that the depression will hopefully start to lift as you taper, as long as you start to work on the other possible causes at the same time. 

I did experience quite intense apathy and anhedonia and I find that I still have to be aware of those aspects of W/D as they tend to become sticky symptoms that really don't want to leave.

There were many times that I just fully gave into it ( apathy)~ and let it be. I didn't push so hard and if I was tired ( which I always was) then I would often "flake out" on the couch and doze : usually with cortisol, ( so no real rest) or read during the day. I was lucky that I didn't have to hold down a job. I didn't feel guilty as I knew what my body and brain were going through, particularly as a lot of the time, I would be up all night with no sleep, so I knew I needed some Zz's when I could manage to.

I tried to be gentle with myself and that's what I would suggest you do. It's far too easy during this process to put unnecessary pressure on yourself ~ I found by easing up and slowing down , my CNS was able to rest and repair.

I spent a lot of time reading and researching and still do. I spend less time with friends now and that's ok - it's my choice.

I also tried the opposite ~ pushing through ~ going to the gym for " pump" after zero sleep : and fell in a heap!  It didn't work. So, my advice would be to listen to your body and try and give it what it needs ~ if that is rest , then so be it.

Thank you for your response, Ali and for describing how you have dealt with this debilitating symptom.  I have done a lot of what you have said and have given into it, it is just so hard feeling so dysfunctional and feeling like I am not "doing" enough to help myself.  I do need to also work on not feeling guilty (and jealous), watching others going about their lives while I am lying down on the couch.  I can't really sleep either during the day despite not getting enough sleep at night (although for now I am getting a chunk of sleep so I recognize this could be a lot worse), I might doze off for a second but that is about it.

I am hoping as this awful feeling lifts I will be able to motivate myself to do more.

I was curious regarding the first sentence of your post where you stated "as long as you start to work on the other possible causes".....I wasn't sure what you meant.  Please let me know.  

Thank you for helping me and so many others.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

31 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

Thank you for your response, Ali and for describing how you have dealt with this debilitating symptom.  I have done a lot of what you have said and have given into it, it is just so hard feeling so dysfunctional and feeling like I am not "doing" enough to help myself.  I do need to also work on not feeling guilty (and jealous), watching others going about their lives while I am lying down on the couch.  I can't really sleep either during the day despite not getting enough sleep at night (although for now I am getting a chunk of sleep so I recognize this could be a lot worse), I might doze off for a second but that is about it.

I am hoping as this awful feeling lifts I will be able to motivate myself to do more.

I was curious regarding the first sentence of your post where you stated "as long as you start to work on the other possible causes".....I wasn't sure what you meant.  Please let me know.  

Thank you for helping me and so many others.

We really do have a lot in common.. I got myself psyched to try tms but it didn’t work before. After much research I figured even if it did work, it wouldn’t last. They don’t talk about that much. Two or 4 months tops. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

• Moderator Emeritus

wantrelief,

I too have anhedonia and apathy, and I deal with it much the way AliG does.  I don't try to push through it and I don't feel guilty because I'm not doing more. You are doing plenty getting through the day. Just resting is doing something if that's what your body, which is going through so much, needs.  Be kind to yourself.  I have read on this site that the apathy and anhedonia can be like a protective child to buffer you from too much activity and involvement as you heal.  It was pass, don't know when, but it will.

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, AliG said:

Just a quick add - on while I'm here, to say that I'm doing so well and don't really think much about withdrawal, anymore. I feel " normal " again, and will probably write a success story fairly soon. At least once I'm convinced that this isn't just a long window !   ;)  Probably, in May at the 4 year mark. I know it seems like such a long time, but a lot of it has been feeling so much better after the 2 year mark. I consider it to be more like " fine - tuning" from that point on. Not perfect, by any means but livable and able to enjoy life , most of the time.

It has been some windows and waves and life stressors - since then, but it's always been heading in an upwardly positive direction.  :)  For that, I'm very thankful.

Beautiful post, Ali. So wonderful to see you heading toward a success story. :)

so happy to see you doing so well,Ali,and maybe a little jealous too since we've been off the drugs the same amount of time and I still have a ways t go.

I'm hoping I'm just still recovering from the cataract surgery and will see more progress soon.

anyway ,your journey still gives me a lot of hope and I'm thankful for that.

also.I think I'm a bit older than you,63 next month and I hear the older you are the longer for recovery <_<

I was also wondering if you had ever taken paxil...that's the one that ruined me.

sending lotsof love and hugs, ds

xxx

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Oh, Ali, wonderful! <3

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AliG.  Yes back.  And excellent update from you.  I'm not sure about the 2 year mark for me.  And the end of escitalopram.  Possibly.  I'm going have to check my records and journal.  I had those other meds. on board and to deal with too.  Good and bad.  Not sure I could have done differently at that time.

I know with grief, and grieving the 2 year mark sure made a huge difference.  I had had a loss of loved one due to suicide.  And for me.......a distinctive knowing that the worst or most difficult has passed at 2 years out.  Which I think "they" would classify as "complicated grief". 

......and a happy Valentines week to you and all!!!  Now I could get sarcastic/wry/cynical/whatever..........and I did start to post in a magenta red/pink color then lost it(the color!).

Love, p, h/ir, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling error

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 2/20/2015 at 3:02 AM, AliG said:

Hi,  I've been reading here for a couple of days and hope to get some ideas and suggestions.

I was always told from the medical field- "you have a chemical imbalance" -  depression and put on antidepressants for many years.

About 10 months ago , I decided to go the natural route - exercise, sunlight, vitamin D, supplements etc. thinking that was the answer. I fell in a heap. I couldn't work it out until I found this site.  I was in withdrawal, but didn't realize it.

This has happened a few times, and I have always gone back on the drugs believing I needed them.

I came on here to find a voice of reason and maybe talk / learn from those who have lived through this.  I'm really glad I found this site and I hope I can learn from all of you but hopefully also contribute.

Hello @AliG  I am curious in your journey because I have been on zoloft (max dose) for 19 years.  I'm hoping to follow your lead.  Do you think I can possibly get off of this drug after all this time? I'm worried about tapering because I am not exactly  happy right now, so I'm afraid that I will get depressed and not be able to function.  If you could reply, I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks!

Sam

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

Thank you everyone ~ I very much appreciate your thoughts, care and concern.  :)

@samanthaelizabeth ~ to address your question ~ Whilst by it's very nature, withdrawal can bring up negative thoughts/thinking, I have found that having a positive mindset is crucial to helping overcome and counteract the negative tapes that tend to run in our heads, during this process.

If you taper gently and with care, there is no reason to think that you can not carry on with your life. It may not always be perfect, with various symptoms etc. occurring along the way but it can still be very much, a functioning, high quality life.

As a positive example, our moderator @brassmonkey has been doing exactly that, for years with success. He has managed to hold down a job and also travel quite extensively during his lengthy taper. It takes a certain amount of skill and patience to do that, but he really is living proof that it can be done.

My withdrawal was much more extreme as it was a cold turkey, due to the ignorance of my doctors. This came after a long history of being on and off antidepressants, largely due to being wrongly diagnosed with major depressive disorder after the birth of my third child.

If I can get through this with my history, it's possible for you too, as you are well ahead of the game in terms of now knowing about tapering etc. and having this great support network - SA. I have also managed to forge out a life during withdrawal. It's not quite what I would have originally planned but the detours have been interesting and have ultimately given my life more meaning, than perhaps it may have otherwise.

I hope this helps.

Update ~ I thought that I would list various elements that have helped me get through withdrawal ~

What has helped ~

• saying no, to people, places and events that I didn't want to attend or even think about ~
  • resting when I needed to ~ with no guilt or pressure, knowing that I was allowing my CNS to heal and repair
  • juicing & smoothies ~ mainly greens
  • faith in the process, positive and staying the course~
  • very light exercise , like yoga and rebounding
  • releasing toxic people from my life
  • a sense of community, mainly SA
  • Magnesium in all it's forms ~ supplements, powder, oil spray, epsom salts etc.
  • music
  • dancing
  • painting
  • no sugar
  • Reading / researching health
  • positivity ~ sometimes relied on Instagram. Quotes etc. A positive tool ~ to help when you are down
  • connecting with others, even if it was sometimes only to have a whinge ...
  • helping
  • laughing
  • husband and children ~ unconditional love
  • tapping in to my own strength and resilience
  • feeling the pain and then going ... beyond
  • forgiveness for the wrongs that we have endured ( through Doctors and drugs)
  • finally ~  knowing that I am enough and not making any more excuses ...

I"ll add to this ... very soon . I know there's more ... :)  Love, Ali  

Edited by AliG

49 minutes ago, AliG said:

What has helped ~

So inspiring! This is a great list. Your story gives me hope. Wonderful! Somedays I feel like I will never feel "normal"!

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg 

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

Thanks DMV ~ This is only a partial list  ~ there is more and there is always hope ~ You will feel " yourself " again ~ it just takes a little time.  :)

Thank you so much Ali for sharing this list...and more to come!!!  Very special, helpful and reassuring. K xo

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for dropping by, AliG.  I appreciate it.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

7 hours ago, AliG said:

Update ~ I thought that I would list various elements that have helped me get through withdrawal ~

What has helped ~

• saying no, to people, places and events that I didn't want to attend or even think about ~
  • resting when I needed to ~ with no guilt or pressure, knowing that I was allowing my CNS to heal and repair
  • Magnesium in all it's forms ~ supplements, powder, oil spray, epsom salts etc.
  • music
  • dancing
  • painting
  • no sugar
  • positivity ~ sometimes relied on Instagram. Quotes etc. A positive tool ~ to help when you are down
  • helping
  • laughing
  • forgiveness for the wrongs that we have endured

You are very fortunate. 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

DBNO  ~ this isn't fortunate  ~ this is what I have worked very hard for  ~ and part of the process - this is the end result ~  :) 

8 hours ago, AliG said:

Now you've inspired me to make a list! Thank you! You have a very healing list going!

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

I am so inspired by you.  I'm still debating on what to do.  I'm so confused.

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

44 minutes ago, Dalalea said:

Now you've inspired me to make a list! Thank you! You have a very healing list going!

Thanks Dalalea. I love essential oils too ~ it probably should have been on my list. Do you have any favourites?

43 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

I am so inspired by you.  I'm still debating on what to do.  I'm so confused.

What are you debating, Samantha?

14 hours ago, AliG said:

Thank you everyone ~ I very much appreciate your thoughts, care and concern.  :)

@samanthaelizabeth ~ to address your question ~ Whilst by it's very nature, withdrawal can bring up negative thoughts/thinking, I have found that having a positive mindset is crucial to helping overcome and counteract the negative tapes that tend to run in our heads, during this process.

If you taper gently and with care, there is no reason to think that you can not carry on with your life. It may not always be perfect, with various symptoms etc. occurring along the way but it can still be very much, a functioning, high quality life.

As a positive example, our moderator @brassmonkey has been doing exactly that, for years with success. He has managed to hold down a job and also travel quite extensively during his lengthy taper. It takes a certain amount of skill and patience to do that, but he really is living proof that it can be done.

My withdrawal was much more extreme as it was a cold turkey, due to the ignorance of my doctors. This came after a long history of being on and off antidepressants, largely due to being wrongly diagnosed with major depressive disorder after the birth of my third child.

If I can get through this with my history, it's possible for you too, as you are well ahead of the game in terms of now knowing about tapering etc. and having this great support network - SA. I have also managed to forge out a life during withdrawal. It's not quite what I would have originally planned but the detours have been interesting and have ultimately given my life more meaning, than perhaps it may have otherwise.

I hope this helps.

Yes, but I'm not happy now how in the world would I taper?  I spoke with Dr. Shipko today he didn't have alot of time but he told me I should taper, even slowly with the amount of time that I have been on this drug.  He said even with a slow taper I could end up disabled and there are no guarantees of what the outcome would be.  I wouldn't even consider Abilify but told me he would add Welllbutrin.  This is getting ridiculous, now I will be on 3 drugs!  I can't get a clear view of what I should be doing.

• magnesium, fish oil

15 minutes ago, AliG said:

Do you have any favourites?

I have several oils that I'm using daily at this point. Brain Power is a blend that seems to help with focus and concentration. I use frankincense to support my healing. A blend that I've been diffusing is Stress Away. I love using oils!

Have you tried any that help?

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

9 hours ago, AliG said:

What has helped ~

• music
  • dancing
  • painting
  • no sugar
  • helping
  • laughing
  • forgiveness for the wrongs that we have endured

Like your list A .Thanks for earlier .

Take care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

2 hours ago, AliG said:

DBNO  ~ this isn't fortunate  ~ this is what I have worked very hard for  ~ and part of the process - this is the end result ~  :) 

I realize that Ali. And I think it’s great. I said that wrong. 

DBNO. I understand and you said nothing wrong ~ It's just that it didn't just fall in my lap ~ it has been difficult at times.

Thank You for your support. I really appreciate it.

You are right @AliG. It didn't just fall in your lap.  You have the right mindset!  This is something I have to work on.  Thank you!

• magnesium, fish oil

14 minutes ago, AliG said:

DBNO. I understand and you said nothing wrong ~ It's just that it didn't just fall in my lap ~ it has been difficult at times.

Thank You for your support. I really appreciate it.

And I appreciate yours. I am really starting to lose hope. Dr. Shipko. I researched him. This is a terrible day. I did not take my beads on time, and am hoping that’s my problem today.. My head does not feel good at all. I felt a little better yesterday. 

• 1 month later...

Hi AliG,

Just dropping by to see how you are faring in this recent bout with insomnia.  I hope you are able to pull through.  Best.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

Hi, Ali, Hope you are well. - Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Hi Survivor and Rosetta. Thanks for asking ... I'm absolutely fine - it's just part of the healing process. My sleep is a thousand per cent better, but there are the odd nights and times where it reverts back to "ground zero" and at that time it can sometimes feel like it's starting all over again, but of course it's not ~ it's just the "windows and waves" process which continues ... it's becoming much less all the time but it's still there occasionally, for now.

It can still be an issue at times, particularly now, when my husband is planning an adventure holiday, where I feel that I may not be able to keep up with him : hiking/fishing etc. I worry about my sleep and fitness, as I find that I don't seem to have the stamina yet, that I had previously. I used to work out at the gym 6 days a week. I've started back at the gym a few days a week, and am working on my fitness level.  I have insisted, when we are travelling -  that we always have a separate lounge room with a television etc so that, if I am up at night, I'm not restricted to a bedroom ~ I need my space to read or watch TV.

I like my "comfort zone" and the thought of stepping out of that is sometimes unsettling but I know that I need to push myself, otherwise I will be limiting myself and I don't want to do that as we have plans to do more extensive travel in the future.

I'm already starting to get anxious 20 days in advance ... Watch this space ... LOL.  :P

Edited by AliG

Great, Ali!  As we all know, everything is more bearable with decent sleep.  

I understand about not wanting to venture out.  My children were off from school for Spring Break (not sure if you have the same thing in Oz), but I cancelled because I was doing so poorly. Everyone was disappointed.  Now, we are trying to plan a vacation for the summer, and I am still in no mood to go anywhere.  Am hoping I feel better to muddle through it somehow as the kids are at the age (teens) where they need to do something.  I am getting more sleep with the Lamictal so hope things improve more by summer.

All the best to you.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

1 hour ago, Survivor1 said:

Spring Break (not sure if you have the same thing in Oz)

No, we just hear about it in the movies, LOL.  :P

I guess I'm lucky that my kids are older but it can still be difficult. I used to be such a traveller ~ it was my passion, along with Painting, ( oil and water- colour)  Photography, Latin dancing and all dancing , actually. (Pump) lifting weights and a bit of gardening ~ creating art in the garden. I do miss my creative side and wonder if it will ever actually re- surface.