SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Epsom salts baths - another way to relax with magnesium

GiaK

OK - borax in drinking water does have a detox effect.

Sadly, the research is very thin on the ground, but the chemical reaction looks like this:

Borax reacts with fluoride ions to form boron fluorides

When taken internally, yes, these fluorides are excreted in your urine, which is detoxing.

In the bath, boron fluorides are apparently inert. It does not apparently react with chlorine (bummer). BUT - I've been reading about ancient treatments for everything, and all toxicity was treated with salt. So having a salty bath might bind and improve the chemical profile. But be gentle - like seawater.

You know, how good it would be for arthritis and inflammatory conditions to bathe in seawater daily? Well similar, only recreating it in the bath. If I were you, always have salt in the bath. (Iodine also binds to fluoride, but I think that's mostly internally, I couldn't find anyone who put iodine in the bath. It's a detox protocol, and may be why some people react to iodine. Ergo - maybe not iodized salt!)

If you think about it, fluoride is measured in ppb (parts per billion) - so it wouldn't take much boron to neutralize that.

Logically, you would stir the bath well. I bought an old ping-pong paddle for stirring the bath - I wanted an oar, but couldn't find one at the secondhand shops!

ACV, Apple Cider Vinegar or ascorbic acid - I've seen recipes for that too - but I can't tell the facts from the fanatics on that one. It's helpful, I use it to help the absorption of the magnesium - but I don't trust it to handle the fluoride - otherwise we'd all have a bottle at table, and put drops of it in our water. We don't (but iodine is still used to purify water).

Sources: sorry, this was not a scientific one. All I could get for sure was the chemical reaction. All the other information is from HealthNut Natural Healthy You type sites, or even PrisonPlanet / Infowars (they are very anti-fluoride there).

Well darn, that is a bummer, Jan but good to know. Thank you!

I'm about to go soak in 1 1/2 cups of chloride flakes & 1/2 cup baking soda for 30 minutes. The sulfate version doesn't help me. I overdid it yesterday and soaked for an hour using 4 cups of chloride flakes. I felt woozy and noticed that GiaK mentioned feeling the same way. I also ordered the topical oil she recommended and will heed her advice to start very low.

Jan, will you take a look at my thread please?...I have a new question. xx

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Okay, my Mag Chloride supplier has started sending articles out.  It's not about Epsom Salts (which they also sell), but Mag Chloride specifically.  Since they were kind enough to supply the article, I will put a little plug for them here, as they sell quality bulk salts (and coconut soap, and a few other healthy goodies) in Australia:  Blants Wellbeing and Lifestyle (https://www.blants.com.au/product_groups )

Digestion & Magnesium Chloride 

Our previous article discussed the role of Electrolytes & Magnesium Chloride. 
In addition to Chlorides’ function as an electrolyte, chloride combines with hydrogen in the stomach to make hydrochloric acid (HCL), a major component of gastric acid. Gastric acid is an essential component of the digestion process and appears to diminish with age, poor health or poor diet. It is rarely checked by practitioners and often left undiagnosed.

Low levels of gastric acid production may result in poorly broken down and absorbed food with resulting poor nutrient absorption; gut irritations, malabsorption of vitamins & minerals, and an increased susceptibility to bacteria, viruses, and yeasts passing through a damaged gut wall.

To break down the food we eat the stomach requires acid, delivered to the stomach as gastric acid produced by cells in the lining of the stomach, which are coupled in feedback systems to increase acid production when needed. In an optimum environment that gastric acid has a very low pH of 1.5 - 3.5. The acidity is maintained by the proton pump H+/K+ ATPase.

Gastric acid works in sync with digestive enzymes, which are another essential component of digestion. It is vital to the digestion of proteins acting as a catalyst – like a ‘go before’ - as it activates digestive enzymes which break the long chain bonds linking amino acids, a process known as proteolysis. Bottom line is we need the acid to be produced in the stomach for effective digestion.

The abundant chloride found in Magnesium Chloride is sufficient to increase production of stomach HCL. Regular soaking in a Magnesium Chloride bath
 or applying Magnesium Oil
 over the body ensures chloride absorption. This could be done a couple of times a week as maintenance Chloride and Magnesium top-up. You can buy either of these products from BLANTs Shop Online & have it delivered.

HCL can also be increased by taking Apple Cider Vinegar directly before a meal or drinking squeezed lemon and water prior to a meal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

wanted to thank you Jan. You helped me figure out a piece in my latest weird healing crisis. I had stopped using topical magnesium chloride and was only taking another form of magnesium by mouth. Wow! What a cascade of hell that led to. The chloride was totally helping me digest food...I'm very grateful for your sharing that information. 

THANK YOU.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Jan, this is such great information!! Thank you so much for sharing! Anxiety was high this morning before going to the doctor so I soaked for 25 minutes/ two cups of mag chloride. It took the edge off enough to ride in the car and wait two hours to see the doctor. I wasn't holding my head in my hands when he said that he's increasing my thyroid med!! Dadgummit! So thankful to know these baths help as long as I don't overdo it and helping with digestion is an added bonus!! ❤️

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Catching up on all the questions here:

On 6/14/2015 at 8:16 PM, mammaP said:

2 cups of dead sea salt. I have no idea what is in the dead sea salt that makes it different but it does.

OK - I called "Mag Chloride" = Dead Sea Salts, when really my source of Mag Chloride at the time was the Dead Sea.

Since then, I've been buying from a bulk supplier, Blants Wellbeing & Lifestyle  They have a lot of information on their site. 

Here's Dead Sea Salts:

an-dss1b.gif

Here's Mag Sulfate (Epsom Salts):

an-epsom1b.gif

Here's Magnesium Chloride:

an-mag1b.gif

In this article,  Blants - Magnesium Chloride vs Epsom Salts  you can see that the magnesium content is similar:

So here are the Facts about The Magnesium in “Magnesium Chloride” and “Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulphate)”

With both products, there are Three Tiers of Measurements:

1. The first tier – Magnesium Chloride and Epsom Salt (magnesium sulphate) are flakes/crystals respectively bound with H2O. This is known as the ‘Assay’, and the measurement in both is usually represented as 99-100%. 

2. The second tier – is the measurement of Magnesium Chloride or Epsom Salt (magnesium sulphate) as ‘Compounds’, meaning Without H2O, and this is in the range of 46-49%. 

3. The third tier – is the actual magnesium, called ‘Elemental Magnesium’. This is the actual magnesium when separated from the chlorides or sulphates. In Magnesium Chloride it is in the range of 13-14%, and with Epsom Salt (magnesium sulphate) in the range of 11-12%.

Now - When either Mag Chloride or Epsom Salt (mag sulphate) are diluted into water the bonds separate, so we are left with 3 things; 

1. magnesium on its own, 
2. sulphates on their own , 
3. chlorides on their own,

But you do have a different action between the two, due to the Sulphates or Chlorides.  One of the things I like about this supplier, is they provide assays for lead, mercury and heavy metal content.  Some "Dead Sea Salts" are contaminated by radioactive materials, heavy metals, etc.  This supplier developed their products to help with autism, and I can buy big dog-food sized bags of salt, so I don't need to feel stingy when I fill the bath.

On 6/14/2015 at 10:49 PM, Meimeiquest said:

So awhile back my sister sent me a bag of Dead Sea sea salts. When I was in it, my hands and feet turned purplish, and when I took them out the color would quickly go back to pinkish, back and forth. Like those doll bottles where the milk color appears and disappears.

This sounds like it might be a contaminated salt.  I had some salts that would make my skin blotchy and itchy, too.

On 11/13/2015 at 10:56 PM, NoMeaning25 said:

Why add baking soda? Can i do it without or wont it have the same effect? Baking soda can be quite detoxifying

My osteopath always tells me to do this - he says you only need a tablespoon.  The purpose of it is to alkalize the water so that the magnesium is better absorbed.  I tend to use about 1/4 cup.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• ChessieCat changed the title to Epsom salts baths - another way to relax with magnesium

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy