earthbound - trying to get off of paxil

earthbound

Hi there. I'm not sure what to specifically say here.

• 19 year old male
  • I'm taking 40mg Paroxetine (Paxil)
  • I've tried quitting cold turkey, only to obviously experience withdrawal symptoms
  • I've tried to get liquid Paxil but my insurance seems to think that is conspicuous

I have a couple of questions regarding withdrawal.

• Is it possible to withdraw without using liquid medicine?
  • Are feelings of aggression and agitation normal under the influence of Paroxetine?
  • When quitting, do withdrawal side-effects ever go away?
  • How long will it take for the side-effects to subside, if so?

Thanks. If you need any more information to help me out, I'll do my best to provide it.

40MG Paroxetine

Withdrawal history: N/A

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi earthbound. Welcome to surviving antidepressants.

A moderator will be along soon to offer you more guidance and things, but I'll try and get things started. The mods and others are going to want to know more about your medication history. Like how long you've been taking Paxil? Are you taking any other medications? When did you attempt to go CT from Paxil? Are you currently experiencing any symptoms? Things like that.

I will try and respond to your questions as best I can and/or direct you to threads that might be helpful.

First, here's the recommendation on how much to taper: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

And Tips for tapering Paxil: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

"Is it possible to withdraw without using liquid medicine?"

You can make your own liquid solution. Here are some guidelines: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

"Are feelings of aggression and agitation normal under the influence of Paroxetine?"

Feelings of aggression and agitation are not unusual, particularly at your age. If you haven't shared with your prescriber that you're feeling these things it's important that you do, and do so as soon as possible.

How long have you felt these things?

"When quitting, do withdrawal side-effects ever go away?"

You will likely feel withdrawal symptoms as you taper. Some days will be more mild than others and they will generally vary by degree. We refer to them as waves and windows. Here's more info on that: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

The symptoms do resolve in time. Unfortunately no one can say exactly how long they last as it varies from person to person. You can generally minimize symptoms significantly if you follow the reccommendations on this site.

You'll find a lot of good information here, and a lot of support. Welcome!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything Addax said. We can definitely help you better if we know more about your medication history.

Basically the same answers to your 4 questions. 

--Yes, it's easy, although it will take longer than you'd like to do it safely. You can make your own liquid from tablets, it's easy.

--Yes, extensively documented. Psych meds turned me into a psycho beeatch, so I can relate.

--Yes, withdrawal effects go away. If you taper we recommend that you let them settle in between cuts in dose. Even people who quit too fast eventually do get out of withdrawal, but it can be pretty excruciating in the process and I certainly don't recommend it.

--Depends on how you taper and on your individual constitution, genes, history, and whatever other factors are involved; people vary a lot. With a slow taper you will probably be feeling pretty much back to yourself before you even finish the taper.

40 mg of Paxil is not a small dose. I'm so sorry you've been put in this position, especially at such a young age. We do have the information you need to taper off, but it will be your responsibility to be in charge of the process and the decisions involved. Since at 19 people don't always have full control over their lives and their choices, if you are still largely under the care or guardianship of an adult, I'd recommend you see if you can get that person on board as an ally.

One good place to start might be with the books Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker, and Medication Madness by Peter Breggin. There are lots of other good books out there but I am particularly fond of those two.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I've been taking Paxil for about 3 years. My CT was probably about 2 years ago. I experienced your typical symptoms: anxiety, brain shocks, you name it.

As far as other medications, I'm taking a couple of anti-histamines for allergy related issues, and I use a rescue inhaler on occasion.

Recurring symptoms are DP/DR, a group of disassociative disorders I believe are not exclusive to me taking SSRI's, agitation and irritability, as well as Purely-Obsessional OCD. I personally think the only mental ailment I'm suffering from that is caused by the Paxil is the irritability.

Thanks. 

40MG Paroxetine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi earthbound ,    welcome to the site.  It's loaded with information , so you have a lot of reading ahead :).

Information about your antihistamines and inhaler are important.    A lot of asthma meds. are contraindicated with ssri antidepressants.   You can use the

drug interaction checker at  www.drugs.com  yourself.

I'm so happy for you that you've found your way here.  You will get all the advice and support you need here to do a SAFE taper , so you can get the

paroxetine out of your life with minimum disruption.

Best wishes ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been taking Paxil for about 3 years. My CT was probably about 2 years ago. I experienced your typical symptoms: anxiety, brain shocks, you name it.

As far as other medications, I'm taking a couple of anti-histamines for allergy related issues, and I use a rescue inhaler on occasion.

Recurring symptoms are DP/DR, a group of disassociative disorders I believe are not exclusive to me taking SSRI's, agitation and irritability, as well as Purely-Obsessional OCD. I personally think the only mental ailment I'm suffering from that is caused by the Paxil is the irritability.

Thanks. 

Let me bother you with some clarification questions.

You CT from Paxil 2 years ago, then you reinstated and are currently taking 40mg?  How long ago did you reinstate?

What do you mean that the symptoms are not exclusive of you taking SSRIs?  What do you attribute the symptoms to?  

So you are currently experiencing DP/DR, dissociative symptoms, agitation, irritability and Pure-O OCD?  and you attribute just the irritability to Paxil?

I'm not questioning your assessment, I just want to make sure it's clear.

Why were you prescribed Paxil in the first place? 

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thanks.

Let me bother you with some clarification questions.

You CT from Paxil 2 years ago, then you reinstated and are currently taking 40mg? How long ago did you reinstate?

What do you mean that the symptoms are not exclusive of you taking SSRIs? What do you attribute the symptoms to?

So you are currently experiencing DP/DR, dissociative symptoms, agitation, irritability and Pure-O OCD? and you attribute just the irritability to Paxil?

I'm not questioning your assessment, I just want to make sure it's clear.

Why were you prescribed Paxil in the first place?

Posting from mobile, so pardon my paraphrasing.

CT'd for about one-two weeks and started taking 20 mg when WD got out of hand. Spoke to doc, they upped to 40, bad move on my part.

Been on 40 mg ever since.

Disassociative issues stem from emotional duress during adolescence as well as drug experimentation. (Not postive these are the causes, but it's an educated guess that seems plausible enough.)

Prescribed Paxil for panic attacks after I told doc Zoloft didn't help me. (Had trouble breathing and felt like I was going to faint often. Not asthma related.)

Pure-O actually started on Zoloft, but unsure if caused by SSRI or childhood trauma. (Emotional and mental abuse.)

40MG Paroxetine