SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Serenity23: Neurological symptoms - medical, stress, or SSRI withdrawal?

Serenity23

I've been on antidepressants on and off for the past 20 years. A few years ago, I was on 100mg Zoloft. I felt overmedicated and tapered down to 50mg. A couple of years on that, I felt better so I started to slowly taper to 37.5mg, 25, and then finally to 12. I had been on 12mg for about 2 years. Every time I went to 6mg, or skipped a day or two, I didn't do well so I went back to 12mg.

The last few weeks, I started to have neurological symptoms and I cannot tell if it's something medical, stress, or SSRI withdrawal from trying to taper off the 12mg. I really had thought going off 12mg would be the easiest step, since it is so low a dosage.

These are the symptoms I've been having:

1) Extreme fatigue in my entire body and brain. Different from sleepiness or feeling tired

2) Leg muscle soreness, cramps, weakness

3) Trouble with balance when walking

4) Difficulty with coordination; clumsiness

5) Migraine like headaches (I never had migraines before)

6) Difficulty concentrating

7) Visual disturbances including lack of focus on what I am looking at, and two episodes the other day of seeing a flashing quick white light. Optometrist said exam revealed nothing wrong other than I may need a stronger prescription (visual disturbance is not blurry, vision is sharp)

8) Can't find the word I want to use

9) Speaking issues - slurring or stuttering. The past week I could barely speak, and then hours after taking a 25mg Zoloft, I was able to speak again.

10) Arm muscle sorness and weakness

11)Waking up extremely fatigued although getting enough sleep

12)Lack of motivation, decision making, planning

13)Anxious

14) Difficulty multitasking and becoming irritable if I try to

I have no history of these symptoms, other than the fatigue and the anxiety (and history of depression, though I am not now depressed).

My medical doctor is concerned and suggested I increase the Zoloft, (as did my spouse who says I'm more anxious without the Zoloft even though it's only been a short time), so I very reluctantly started taking 25mg again.That being said, I am curious how to tell the difference between SSRI withdrawal, true anxiety/stress, or something medical. I thought it unlikely to have SSRI withdrawal if I was only on 12mg. I feel like I'm never going to get off these meds.

For those of you with knowledge and experience of SSRI withdrawal, please share your opinion of what the reason for this might be--is it related to SSRIs or not?

Also for those of you who think it's related to withdrawing too quickly off the 12mg, please let me know how I should manage the Zoloft going forward to avoid these kinds of symptoms.

Thank you

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Serenity23

• apace41

• Fresh

• LoveandLight

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Serenity , welcome to S.A.

What you're describing certainly sounds like withdrawal symptoms.  "Take a look in Symptoms and Self-Care" , What is Withdrawal Syndrome.

This site recommends decreasing doses by 5-10% at a time , in order to avoid w/d symptoms. (see Tapering section)

How long ago was the last time you dropped from 12mg , and to what dose?   When did you reinstate 25mg?

It may be possible to stabilize on less than 25mg , but I'm just guessing without knowing the time frame.

People seem to find that the lower the dose , the more challenging each decrease is. 

You'll get lots of advice and support here.

Best wishes ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

1) Extreme fatigue in my entire body and brain. Different from sleepiness or feeling tired

13)Anxious

I had the above symptoms due to protracted withdrawal from Prozac years ago. The lack of restorative sleep was my biggest problem, along with brain fog and depression. Difficulty multitasking and irritability also big for me from withdrawal. Hot flashes are also common. The other symptoms you mentioned are also commonly reported among people suffering withdrawal from SSRIs.

Welcome - this is a great place to get information about what to do from here regarding tapering off these SSRIs...

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Serenity23,

Thank you for sharing your story, what you describe does sound like antidepressant withdrawal.

This topic will explain how you can tell the difference between withdrawal and relapse:

Intro to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

You have been tapering too fast.  We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  These 2 topics will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drug.

Here are our tips for tapering off Zoloft:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)
http://survivinganti...oft-sertraline/

Since you have already reinstated back up to 25mg, if I were you, I would hold there for at least a month to let your nervous system settle down.  Take the time to learn about tapering and then when you are ready, begin a slow, safe taper from the 25mg.

Are you taking any other drugs?  Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.  I'm glad you found us.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, Serenity.

Are you feeling better since you went to 25mg?

Are you taking any other drugs? Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi  Serenity , welcome to S.A.

What you're describing certainly sounds like withdrawal symptoms.  "Take a look in Symptoms and Self-Care" , What is Withdrawal Syndrome.

This site recommends decreasing doses by 5-10% at a time , in order to avoid w/d symptoms. (see Tapering section)

How long ago was the last time you dropped from 12mg , and to what dose?   When did you reinstate 25mg?

It may be possible to stabilize on less than 25mg , but I'm just guessing without knowing the time frame.

People seem to find that the lower the dose , the more challenging each decrease is. 

You'll get lots of advice and support here.

Best wishes ,   Fresh

Hi Fresh,

Apologies for taking a while to reply back...feeling well now but took a little time. Thank you for directing to me to the "Withdrawal Syndrome". I had no idea that the lower the dose, the more challenging the decrease. I expected since it was such a tiny dose, a non-clinical dose, it would be nothing to decrease it. I couldn't have been more incorrect. I made a 50% decrease and then another 50%. Big, big mistake.

I had been on the 12mg for about 2 years, with a couple of days thrown in here and there on 6mg to test the waters. The couple of days on 6mg actually made me feel good although a bit manic/hyper/anxious so I went back to 12mg. I guess I assumed since I was on 12mg for 2 years (having come down from 50mg very slowly) that I'd be okay.

I reinstated on 25mg about a week or so ago after getting out of the hospital (I didn't write that in my original post because I didn't want to scare anyone....the neurological symptoms I was having made me think I was having a stroke or something, but fortunately all the medical tests were negative. It hadn't occurred to me medication withdrawal could do this). I am feeling better on the 25mg. My anxiety is much less, my balance is back, no more leg muscle or arm muscle weakness, and only a couple of more episodes of "crashing fatigue" caused most likely by anxiety or whatever my brain is getting used to here.

I am assuming I should stay on 25mg for a while? I wonder how long. If I do ever decide to taper down, I will definitely make sure no more than 5-10%. I guess what confused me, was on the paxilprogress.org website, one of the moderators said with Zoloft I could just try to do a very slow wean, instead of being more stringent with the 5-10% that the people withdrawing from Paxil were doing.

I should also mention that I seem to be extremely sensitive to medication and I wonder if that is a factor. Someone in my support system said to me, "If you're sensitive to medication, think of how sensitive your system is when you go off medication, too." I hadn't even thought of that.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

13)Anxious

I had the above symptoms due to protracted withdrawal from Prozac years ago. The lack of restorative sleep was my biggest problem, along with brain fog and depression. Difficulty multitasking and irritability also big for me from withdrawal. Hot flashes are also common. The other symptoms you mentioned are also commonly reported among people suffering withdrawal from SSRIs.

Welcome - this is a great place to get information about what to do from here regarding tapering off these SSRIs...

Hi clearday,

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know I'm not alone here with these symptoms. What is "protracted" withdrawal?

If withdrawal was that bad, I'm not sure I should be even thinking about going off these SSRIs again... How in the world does one tell the difference between anxiety and depression, and withdrawal?

I hope you are feeling better now.

Welcome Serenity23,

Thank you for sharing your story, what you describe does sound like antidepressant withdrawal.

This topic will explain how you can tell the difference between withdrawal and relapse:

Intro to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

You have been tapering too fast.  We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  These 2 topics will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drug.

Here are our tips for tapering off Zoloft:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

http://survivinganti...oft-sertraline/

Since you have already reinstated back up to 25mg, if I were you, I would hold there for at least a month to let your nervous system settle down.  Take the time to learn about tapering and then when you are ready, begin a slow, safe taper from the 25mg.

Are you taking any other drugs?  Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.  I'm glad you found us.

Petunia.

Hi Petunia,

Wow thank you for a very structured, perfect reply. I find these kind of internet sites overwhelming with all the info., thank you for spelling out exactly what I should read.

I will update my signature. I am on no other medications. I will do my best with my signature, although I don't remember each and every SSRI.

I do feel good on the 25mg. Within 2 hours of taking it, my speaking ability came right back. It was very strange, but that made me see that this is all related to going off the Zoloft.

Many years ago, a psychiatrist had told me when you get so low on a SSRI to just stop, because it's no longer even a clinical dose at that point. I guess I still had that in the back of my mind.

I'm still confused as to why psychiatrists are trained to teach patients to taper off of a SSRI in 3 weeks. Can most people taper that quickly without side affects or withdrawal? Is it just that I am sensitive to meds or because I've been on meds for 20 years?

Thank you again. I am feeling a lot better now, but it took about 2 weeks and 1 week being back on Zoloft.

Welcome, Serenity.

Are you feeling better since you went to 25mg?

Are you taking any other drugs? Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

Hi Altostrata,

Yes I am feeling better since reinstating the Zoloft at 25mg. Does this mean I need to be on it forever, or that I just withdrew too fast? How does one tell the difference?

I am not taking any other meds other than a multivitamin and some vitamin supplements. I haven't ever taken any other meds but an SSRI or an SSNRI.  had been taking a super B complex in the hope it would have helped during withdrawal, but I stopped taking that when this all happened, in case I was overdoing the B vitamins. I will update my signature now.

Thank you for your reply and apologies for not replying sooner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Serenity ,    good to hear from you.  

I'd be inclined to sit on that dose for a good couple of months at least.   I've just started to taper after reinstating 8 months ago - there's no hurry.

Protracted withdrawal syndrome is when the symptoms start some time after you stop taking antidepressants.   People can feel okay for even 6 months , then get hit by severe symptoms  that can last for months or even years.

Keep reading things on here that interest you , just in small doses perhaps. 

You'll learn how to come off ad's in a safe , non-traumatic way. 

It is possible.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi  Serenity ,    good to hear from you.  

I'd be inclined to sit on that dose for a good couple of months at least.   I've just started to taper after reinstating 8 months ago - there's no hurry.

Protracted withdrawal syndrome is when the symptoms start some time after you stop taking antidepressants.   People can feel okay for even 6 months , then get hit by severe symptoms  that can last for months or even years.

Keep reading things on here that interest you , just in small doses perhaps. 

You'll learn how to come off ad's in a safe , non-traumatic way. 

It is possible.

:)

Thanks, Fresh. :-) What an interesting last few weeks I have had.... I am glad you replied, as I was concerned I waited too long to reply back to everyone.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts about my dose. My primary care physician had first said "50 or 100mg" to me last week, but he has been ok with me staying on 25mg right now and I promised him I'd tell him how I feel (and that I'd tell him how my husband senses my anxiety level and all that). I also need to consider going back to my psychiatrist, although it's been about 2 years since I saw him. He does, however, know that I am very medication sensitive so that helps and he takes time to get to his patients. I was lucky to have found him. I do think I would feel comfortable staying at 25mg for a few months. I'm glad you all say not to rush it.

Thanks for recommending that I just read in small doses...I know that's common sense but I often need to hear that because I can easily get a little bit obsessive with researching and reading things online, which just makes me more overwhelmed and anxious (I think that's why Zoloft was a good choice for me....I don't have OCD but the tendencies are certainly there).

Wow protracted withdrawal sounds scary. I am sorry you had to go through that. But your post overall gives me hope, so thank you for that. :)

• Administrator

Serenity, since 25mg stopped your symptoms, that indicates your symptoms were from withdrawal. This does not mean you need to stay on the drug for life.

What we suggest is you stabilize on 25mg for a while, maybe a few months, and when you feel ready, taper much more gradually. Petunia gave you the links to the topics you should read before tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

moved post, sorry was a second. :-)

Hi Serenity23-- welcome to the group.  I think you will find a lot of useful information here and plenty of help working out a plan to get you off the drugs.  Don't worry about having been on them for so long, it just means really taking your time getting off of them.  I've been on paxil for over 22 years now and if things continue going well I should be off sometime in the fall.  There are a lot of others here who have been on one or more drugs for just about as long and all are making good progress on getting off.  Please don't worry about what may or may not happen during your tapering.  There are going to be bumps in the road, but if you go into it with a positive attitude, accepting mind and really take your time things should go smoothly.  I can't copy and paste links from this computer, but someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction for the information.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Here's an intro:

Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm not really sure what to include in my intro other than the fact I've been on various antidepressants (see my signature), experiencing various side effects, for 20 years. I changed the meds via psychiatrists, mainly because most of them made me lethargic. Prozac didn't, but it flattened my personality. Effexor worked pretty well, but when I followed my psychiatrist's instructions for how to withdraw from it, I got terrible brain zaps and other side effects. The depression/anxiety kept coming back (I see now it was most likely Withdrawal) and so I am still on an SSRI--Zoloft.

I would really like to get off Zoloft and hopefully stay off all SSRIs for good. I don't feel that I am depressed anymore, and I feel that my anxiety was because of tapering too quickly from the Zoloft.

I have a lot of fear that I am going to really struggle getting off of the Zoloft, because I've been on SSRIs for so many years. What is everyone's thoughts on that?

I also seem to be very medication-sensitive.

I was told I have "treatment resistant depression/anxiety" but I really don't feel that way anymore. It is extremely confusing for me, because since my SSRI crash last month (see separate post), my primary care physician said I should be on 50 to 100mg Zoloft. That being said, I told him I feel good on the 25mg and he is ok with that for now. I am not sure I understand why doctors are taught in school that if these kinds of things happen, it means the depression/anxiety has returned and meds need to be reinstated, vs being taught about serotonin withdrawal.

I am also frustrated because my obgyn said my moodiness is related to hormones/perimenopause and I think she said I should stay on the Zoloft, but I don't recall at the moment.

I have a lot of respect for the medical field but it is very difficult for me being that they are not taught about tapering slowly off of SSRIs and about serotonin withdrawal. They say these meds are out of the body within 3 weeks or so, but I don't understand how 3 weeks gives our brains time to heal properly.

My biggest fear is that I will end up having worsening side effects during tapering that will look like anxiety/depression and I will end up even more medicated than before.

Serenity, since 25mg stopped your symptoms, that indicates your symptoms were from withdrawal. This does not mean you need to stay on the drug for life.

What we suggest is you stabilize on 25mg for a while, maybe a few months, and when you feel ready, taper much more gradually. Petunia gave you the links to the topics you should read before tapering.

Hi Altostrata,

Wow so they were from withdrawal? That is so interesting. They didn't stop them completely, as I still have my anxious moments which lead to trouble finding the words I want to say. Is that still okay? But overall, yes, within hours of taking a 25mg Zoloft the neurological symptoms and the majority of the anxiety went away. I'm still quite fatigued, though, but I think it is because of what I put my body and brain through.

I will stay on 25mg for a few months and taper at the slow 10% when I'm ready. I did print a bunch of the links Petunia sent me, but there was a great deal of info so I'll have to go back to it so I don't get information overload.

One thing that confused me, I think one of the protocols said 10% for 2 weeks, and others said that is too fast. What is a good amount of time to stay on 10%?

I am also uncertain how to handle this with my primary care doctor (and psychiatrist, who I haven't seen for about 2 years.) I don't want to come across like I am telling them how to do their jobs. I know my pcd sees this as needing more Zoloft. I don't know how my psychiatrist would view it. He's weaned me off SSRIs/SSNRIs in the past over 3 weeks and anytime I showed symptoms, he put me right back on another med.

Thank you for giving me a little bit of hope. I've been sitting hear thinking I am doomed to stay on SSRIs for the rest of my life.

Can you give me feedback please on my signature? I don't remember exact time frames or dosages, is what I wrote ok or too much of the wrong type of info? Thanks. :-)

Hi Serenity23-- welcome to the group.  I think you will find a lot of useful information here and plenty of help working out a plan to get you off the drugs.  Don't worry about having been on them for so long, it just means really taking your time getting off of them.  I've been on paxil for over 22 years now and if things continue going well I should be off sometime in the fall.  There are a lot of others here who have been on one or more drugs for just about as long and all are making good progress on getting off.  Please don't worry about what may or may not happen during your tapering.  There are going to be bumps in the road, but if you go into it with a positive attitude, accepting mind and really take your time things should go smoothly.  I can't copy and paste links from this computer, but someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction for the information.

Hey brassmonkey, I knew you from Paxilprogress! :-) I forget what my ID was there, but I recall you were always extremely helpful during my short time on it. I read a lot of your posts.

Wow that is fantastic news you will be off Paxil in the fall after 22 years! Ok more hope. This is *good*. :-) I guess with all the crazy MS-like neurological symptoms I had recently, I was quite scared and convinced I'd have to stay on this drug forever.

Thanks for the reminder about a positive attitude. I need to work on that and get out of my pessimistic hole I've been in since being told that nothing is medically wrong with me--although a very good thing and I'm very relieved--it's been embarrassing to think this was all due to a withdrawal from a medication.

Petunia posted some links. (Oops, sorry brassmonkey I had posted two posts in the intro, so we combined it into the one with other people's posts including hers). I printed out a bunch, but I admit I was overwhelmed by all the links within the links, so I hope I will be able to do this right. For now, I will focus on staying on 25mg for the next few months.

Thanks so much for your post. :-)

(moved)

*post moved from tapering section and title of post added

Before tapering/How to prepare, what to do in the meantime, how do you know when you're ready

I'm doing relatively well on the 25mg Zolof updose, in that my neurological symptoms seem to be gone except I am still getting occasional 1 sided migraine like headaches and today I have the worst fatigue ever. I am not depressed or anxious but I swear going through this mess I can see becoming that way again, ironically.

I can't stop thinking about how close I was to being off of Zoloft by following the taper off method by going on low doses every few months which didn't work obviously, and that I should have followed the 10% taper rule instead. I don't fault the paxilprogress.org person who told me to do that; I think she was thinking that Zoloft is a different drug than Paxil so that it would work. I also was overconfident and in denial that I needed to do that kind of taper. I also found the whole thing about having to sliver off pieces, weigh pills, get liquid versions of meds overwhelming, not wanting to have to figure out how to explain this all to doctors to get scripts for liquid meds. Plus my husband kept telling me to just follow what the psychiatrist said to do (3 week weans that never worked), instead of "following something you read on the internet". Darn it I wish I could go back in time and follow the 10% taper. I feel like I wasted 2 years of my life.

I'm in my 40s and have been on and off SSRIs/SSNRIs since my 20s. I just want my life back already. I am still pretty shaken up over having landed in the neurological floor of a hospital a few weeks ago. They were all excellent there, but no one even thought that the Zoloft was causing this. In fact, when I came in and they asked what meds I was on, I said that I was on 12mg Zoloft but weaning off (the days before I had been on 6mg and a couple of days 0mg as a test). So they didn't give me any, probably thinking 12mg was such a tiny dose that why not just wean off completely.

I hate not having any control over the healing of my brain/central nervous system. I am worried I will never get off these drugs.

I also have no idea how to interact with doctors going forward. I don't want to come across as telling them what to do. I respect the medical profession; it is not their fault they weren't taught about this in school or by the drug companies. Then again, it's all so confusing because without meds, where would psychiatrists be?

My medical doctor thinks the neurological symptoms were anxiety from being on too low a Zoloft dose (I'd been on 12mg for about 2 years) as he's seen me from 10 years ago when I was suffering from true anxiety, and wants me to go up to 100mg Zoloft but for now he is respecting my wishes to stay at 25mg. I haven't broached the topic of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome with him because I'm unsure how to.

My therapist suggested to go back to the psychiatrist, but I had stopped going to see him once we decided years ago for me to just go back on and stay on 50mg Zoloft instead of switching meds. When I decided to taper off of it, because I still didn't feel anxious/depressed anymore and felt it was because of going off the meds. in the first place, I was on my own. He was the one who did finally conclude that I seem sensitive to meds, but he also was the same one who kept switching meds for me to try to go off meds, only to tell me when I experienced symptoms, that it was a return of anxiety and depression, instead of SSRI Withdrawal. But at least he recognized that I was sensitive to meds. I don't fault him for thinking it was a return of anxiety and depression, as that is what they are taught in school. It's just frustrating, that's all.

I had another psychiatrist who was referred to me as a second opinion for "treatment resistant depression/anxiety"  who on immediately  meeting me just flat out stated that I had "treatment resistant depression and anxiety", (which I disagree with), and "need to be on antidepressants for life." He was not open to talking to me about SSRI withdrawal, being sensitive to meds, or about the gut-brain connection, in the least. Thing is, I can tell that the past number of years the symptoms I feel are neurological vs true depression/anxiety. The nurses at the hospital seemed to understand what I meant, but unfortunately the neurologist at the hospital did not. He agreed with my primary care physician that the neurological symptoms I presented with were likely "anxiety".

I am confused, frustrated, and unsure what to do next. I am also not sure how to not spend a lot of hours on this website because there is so much helpful information to read and it's a bit overwhelming. How do you all continue to live life while stabilizing after an updose, and not feed into all the symptoms of withdrawal? I still find myself thinking about what happened to me a few weeks ago that landed me in the neurological floor of a hospital, and worrying about the effect 2 decades of meds have done to my brain and nervous system. I worry I'll never get off of them and get my life back. I've always been a healthy person otherwise.

How do I figure out how long to stay on the updose? How do I make a structured plan for tapering when the time comes, and dealing with side effects? I think I need to find a way to give myself more structure with this. Any thoughts, suggestions, experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Hope you left a forwarding address. LOL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

LOL thanks I needed that laugh!! :)

I wasn't sure if I keep posting here under my intro post, or as a new post so I moved it. :D

Hi Serenity,

This is a newsletter article from a pdoc who works with withdrawing patients. Maybe it will give you some ideas on how you want to handle things. There is also an interesting article entitled harm reduction guide that you can google. http://kellybroganmd.com/article/stop-madness-coming-psych-meds/?utm_source=Kelly+Brogan+MD+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c611803300-Join+me+for+The+Hashimoto%27s+Summit&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d0f977a8c5-c611803300-42165237. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

lol @ brassmonkey

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Serenity,

I moved the topic you started in the tapering section to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically.  Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

*post moved from tapering section and title of post added

Before tapering/How to prepare, what to do in the meantime, how do you know when you're ready

I'm doing relatively well on the 25mg Zolof updose, in that my neurological symptoms seem to be gone except I am still getting occasional 1 sided migraine like headaches and today I have the worst fatigue ever. I am not depressed or anxious but I swear going through this mess I can see becoming that way again, ironically.

I can't stop thinking about how close I was to being off of Zoloft by following the taper off method by going on low doses every few months which didn't work obviously, and that I should have followed the 10% taper rule instead. I don't fault the paxilprogress.org person who told me to do that; I think she was thinking that Zoloft is a different drug than Paxil so that it would work. I also was overconfident and in denial that I needed to do that kind of taper. I also found the whole thing about having to sliver off pieces, weigh pills, get liquid versions of meds overwhelming, not wanting to have to figure out how to explain this all to doctors to get scripts for liquid meds. Plus my husband kept telling me to just follow what the psychiatrist said to do (3 week weans that never worked), instead of "following something you read on the internet". Darn it I wish I could go back in time and follow the 10% taper. I feel like I wasted 2 years of my life.

I'm in my 40s and have been on and off SSRIs/SSNRIs since my 20s. I just want my life back already. I am still pretty shaken up over having landed in the neurological floor of a hospital a few weeks ago. They were all excellent there, but no one even thought that the Zoloft was causing this. In fact, when I came in and they asked what meds I was on, I said that I was on 12mg Zoloft but weaning off (the days before I had been on 6mg and a couple of days 0mg as a test). So they didn't give me any, probably thinking 12mg was such a tiny dose that why not just wean off completely.

I hate not having any control over the healing of my brain/central nervous system. I am worried I will never get off these drugs.

I also have no idea how to interact with doctors going forward. I don't want to come across as telling them what to do. I respect the medical profession; it is not their fault they weren't taught about this in school or by the drug companies. Then again, it's all so confusing because without meds, where would psychiatrists be?

My medical doctor thinks the neurological symptoms were anxiety from being on too low a Zoloft dose (I'd been on 12mg for about 2 years) as he's seen me from 10 years ago when I was suffering from true anxiety, and wants me to go up to 100mg Zoloft but for now he is respecting my wishes to stay at 25mg. I haven't broached the topic of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome with him because I'm unsure how to.

My therapist suggested to go back to the psychiatrist, but I had stopped going to see him once we decided years ago for me to just go back on and stay on 50mg Zoloft instead of switching meds. When I decided to taper off of it, because I still didn't feel anxious/depressed anymore and felt it was because of going off the meds. in the first place, I was on my own. He was the one who did finally conclude that I seem sensitive to meds, but he also was the same one who kept switching meds for me to try to go off meds, only to tell me when I experienced symptoms, that it was a return of anxiety and depression, instead of SSRI Withdrawal. But at least he recognized that I was sensitive to meds. I don't fault him for thinking it was a return of anxiety and depression, as that is what they are taught in school. It's just frustrating, that's all.

I had another psychiatrist who was referred to me as a second opinion for "treatment resistant depression/anxiety"  who on immediately  meeting me just flat out stated that I had "treatment resistant depression and anxiety", (which I disagree with), and "need to be on antidepressants for life." He was not open to talking to me about SSRI withdrawal, being sensitive to meds, or about the gut-brain connection, in the least. Thing is, I can tell that the past number of years the symptoms I feel are neurological vs true depression/anxiety. The nurses at the hospital seemed to understand what I meant, but unfortunately the neurologist at the hospital did not. He agreed with my primary care physician that the neurological symptoms I presented with were likely "anxiety".

I am confused, frustrated, and unsure what to do next. I am also not sure how to not spend a lot of hours on this website because there is so much helpful information to read and it's a bit overwhelming. How do you all continue to live life while stabilizing after an updose, and not feed into all the symptoms of withdrawal? I still find myself thinking about what happened to me a few weeks ago that landed me in the neurological floor of a hospital, and worrying about the effect 2 decades of meds have done to my brain and nervous system. I worry I'll never get off of them and get my life back. I've always been a healthy person otherwise.

How do I figure out how long to stay on the updose? How do I make a structured plan for tapering when the time comes, and dealing with side effects? I think I need to find a way to give myself more structure with this. Any thoughts, suggestions, experience, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Serenity,

This is a newsletter article from a pdoc who works with withdrawing patients. Maybe it will give you some ideas on how you want to handle things. There is also an interesting article entitled harm reduction guide that you can google. http://kellybroganmd.com/article/stop-madness-coming-psych-meds/?utm_source=Kelly+Brogan+MD+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c611803300-Join+me+for+The+Hashimoto's+Summit&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d0f977a8c5-c611803300-42165237. Good luck!

Thank you so much, Meimeiquest!! This is fantastic.

Serenity,

I moved the topic you started in the tapering section to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

Thanks, Petunia, much appreciated.

Moved from reinstatement thread

I am completely confused.

I just spent some time reading through a lot of posts here, and I need some clarity. I tried to be as accurate as possible in my signature, but I don't have my prescription records and I did the best I could.

I was reading here that a 1mg or 2mg dose is what is recommended for reinstating. Unfortunately, when I was on 12mg the past 2 years (and having withdrawal symptoms) and then went down to 6mg (and had a neurological crash) and then 0mg for 4 days at the hospital, my family physician put me on 25mg because he thought this was all due to "anxiety". I didn't find Surviving Antidepressants until afterward.

So now that I am on 25mg...what do I do? I am utterly confused how to plan this. How long do I stay on this dose, when do I start my 10% tapper, etc. I am assuming it is too late for me to change this to a 1 or 2mg dose....

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help direct me and help me form a concrete plan.

Moved from tapering 

I was on 12mg Zoloft for about 2 years, (having done a different kind of taper recommended by an admin at PP from 50mg Zoloft), then played around with 6mg and then I crashed. At the hospital for 4 days with neurological irregularities, I was on 0mg Zoloft. When I went to see my doctor, he put me on 25mg Zoloft. This was about 2 weeks ago. I found SA shortly after going back on the 25mg Zoloft, of which I hadn't been on for over 2 years.

I'm wondering if I should've just gone back on 12mg, instead of 25mg. I can already feel the effects of 25mg, and I don't like it--extremely lethargic, fatigued, unmotivated, and depressed as a side effect of the higher dose. I have nothing to be depressed or anxious about so I know it's the medication.

Is it too late for me to switch back to 12mg?

When should I start to taper down from the 25mg?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Edited by mammaP
Note added

Hi there - 

I relate to the majority of your withdrawal symptoms, along with the nagging question as to whether or not something else is causing (or at least contributing to) the onset of this debilitating hell... If you're up for it, perhaps you'd like to check out my intro post/symptom list and let me know if you feel you can relate? I'm crossing my fingers for you. Thank you -- xo

My intro post: http://survivinganti...n-etc/?p=137570

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

Hi there - 

I relate to the majority of your withdrawal symptoms, along with the nagging question as to whether or not something else is causing (or at least contributing to) the onset of this debilitating hell... If you're up for it, perhaps you'd like to check out my intro post/symptom list and let me know if you feel you can relate? I'm crossing my fingers for you. Thank you -- xo

My intro post: http://survivinganti...n-etc/?p=137570

Thanks Jaclyn, I really appreciate it. I will read your post now. But I am frustrated, because I am still confused as to what to do here and I need some help with making a plan. How did you start here on SA to make your tapering plan? I am having the most wicked migraines since going back on 25mg and I just don't know if I should go back down to 12mg before it's too late. I regret listening to my doctor who said to go back on 25mg. I feel like there is isn't enough blood getting to my head or something.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Serenity , it sounds to me like the 25mg helped to nail your symptoms initially , but may be too much now.    It's been 2 weeks , yes?

Rather than go down to 12 , what if you do a fast taper down to 20 , and see if that feels less odd?   

I'm not sure what a fast taper entails exactly , I'm sure one of the moderators will advise. 

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Serenity23 - 

I am super super new here (I think I joined exactly a week ago) and have yet to be advised re a 'plan'. Frustration is definitely warranted - these symptoms aren't just uncomfortable; to me they are all-consuming and debilitating. I know what you mean re listening to the doctors... It seems like the most natural and healthy think, but somehow they often times make things worse (in these cases). I wonder if a more experienced SA-er could advise re a plan? 

I'm a mess, but I'm here for you.

Try and breathe. xo

Jaclyn

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• Moderator Emeritus

Serenity , I've just found Altostrata's advice for a fast taper from 25 to 20mg.  

"If someone who is having adverse effects is very anxious or has a history of difficult reductions , I would advise a fast taper over a very short period of time

e.g. to go from 25 to 20 ,  reduce by 1mg every 5 days".

What do you think?

If you click on FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Serenity

I moved the post you put in the reinstatement thread to here. When you are asking very specific questions about your situation pease post them here not anywhere else.

Have you been on the higher dose since the beginning of March? It important to be precise as possible. If so, you could try going down to 22.5 and see if that helps your current symptoms. If it was me I wouldn't drop down to 12 now. That's a big drop after nearly 3 weeks

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Serenity , I've just found Altostrata's advice for a fast taper from 25 to 20mg.  

"If someone who is having adverse effects is very anxious or has a history of difficult reductions , I would advise a fast taper over a very short period of time

e.g. to go from 25 to 20 ,  reduce by 1mg every 5 days".

What do you think?

If you click on FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

Fresh,

Thank you for finding this for me! I greatly appreciate it. :-)

I'm not feeling anxious, but I am feeling overly-medicated, like my head is in a vise, more down than when I was on the 12mg, and extremely lethargic to the point of considering drinking coffee in the morning. How do I tell if these are adverse effects or if it is my brain getting reused to a higher dose?

Honestly, I've been struggling a lot because my husband thinks I should stay on the 25mg "for a few months" and then see where to go. I guess it's good he's saying "for a few months" instead of indefinitely, though I am just not sure what he is thinking. Perhaps he's thinking in a few months, the drug will kick in and I will be feeling good. He's on Zoloft himself for anxiety and feels great on it, so he is biased.

I would love to do the 1 mg wean as suggested above, but I am scared that if I have a bad withdrawal reaction, I will have to fess up to my husband, therapist, and doctor that I was not taking the 25mg. I haven't gotten a decent night of sleep all month because of this and am just extremely confused as to what to do. I truly believe these meds have made me worse over the years, but DH is the one who has to live with me. I have a good relationship with my therapist but he has entirely bought into the psychiatric model that 1)I am on a subclinical dose so anything going on is not related to the medication; 2)I need to stay on them for life; 3)When I was feeling anxiety or depression on lowered dosages, it was a sign that I needed to go back up, and not a sign of SSRI withdrawal.

I know if I start tapering, DH will email my therapist out of concern, and it will not be good. I don't know how to find a health professional who understands the true nature of these drugs. Our marriage therapist (we just go now and then, our marriage is much improved from years ago) is the only one who seemed to understand that going from 12mg to 6mg was a 50% jump and if I am sensitive to meds, then I am going to be sensitive going off of meds. I wanted to talk more to him about this--find out if his neuropyschologist colleagues might understand more what we go through vs what the drug companies say, but he just said that I should go back to my psychiatrist.

To sum up--basically I know in my gut tapering 10% is the right thing to do, and to get off these meds already, but I am scared to because if it doesn't go well, things will not be good with DH/therapist/doctor/psychiatrist. I do not want to be treated like I'm noncompliant or something, I believe everything I read here and from PP, I believe these meds make me feel worse and are doing a ton of damage, and I don't want to be on them for the rest of my life.

It's such a huge irony that I can tell neurologically the Zoloft makes me *extremely lethargic and unmotivated* to do what I have to do to get well, yet everyone says that my lethargy and unmotivation to make changes is from the depression/anxiety. This is beyond frustrating!!! W

What would you all do if you were in my situation? Outside perspectives would help. I am too wrapped up in my own situation to see it clearly.

Serenity

I moved the post you put in the reinstatement thread to here. When you are asking very specific questions about your situation pease post them here not anywhere else.

Have you been on the higher dose since the beginning of March? It important to be precise as possible. If so, you could try going down to 22.5 and see if that helps your current symptoms. If it was me I wouldn't drop down to 12 now. That's a big drop after nearly 3 weeks

Dalsaan

Dalsaan,

Sorry I am still confused how this website works.

Please let me know how I can make my signature more precise.

I started 25mg on February 23rd per doctor's request, when he decided the neurological symptoms I had were related to "anxiety" which is such b.s. because I wasn't anxious. It is so clear the neurological symptoms were from withdrawing too fast from 12 mg to 6mg to 0mg. Yes I got anxious once I started having the symptoms because he mentioned MS, but who wouldn't get anxious at that? The important thing is that when the neurological symptoms first started, there was no anxiety to have caused them.

Thank you for saying dropping to 12 or 18 after 3 weeks is too big a drop. I needed to know that, I wasn't sure. I am still on the fence about tapering even to 22, see my post above as to why and hopefully others can share their experience and perspective with me.