Serenity23: Neurological symptoms - medical, stress, or SSRI withdrawal?

Serenity23

Hold on Serenity . . . your doctor may have forgotten to tell you that Trazodone is an SSRI , and perhaps isn't aware that it should not be prescribed with zoloft.

From www.drugs.com:

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png trazodone ↔ sertraline

Applies to: trazodone, Zoloft (sertraline)

Using traZODone together with sertraline can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fevericon1.png, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking themedicationsicon1.png. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Trazodone may also interact with your xanax:

interaction-2-big.png alprazolam ↔ trazodone

Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), trazodone

Using ALPRAZolam together with traZODone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

HOLY CRAP.

I'm so done.

It was my psychiatrist who prescribed the Zoloft in the first place, or prescribed the Trazadone.

Then when I was talking to my medical doctor today (now it seems I may have an ulcer from too much acid from too much anxiety???), he said, and I quote, "You can take Trazadone and Xanax if the Trazadone doesn't put you to sleep right away. They don't interact."

I am so freaking confused here.

I don't know what to do? Do I keep taking the Xanax for sleep till the 25mg Zoloft kicks back in and risk becoming addicted to it? Do I call my psychiatrist and show him this reaction you saw online? I am so freaking confused now.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Serenity23

• apace41

• Fresh

• LoveandLight

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it, Fresh (as usual).

Trazadone is not a good addition in my view, Serenity.  The mixing is bad to begin with as Fresh points out, but you have another med to taper off of when the dust settles.  Even if it helped it would be sort of "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

As painful as it may be, I would sit tight on the 25mg of Zoloft and do your best to care for yourself.  Hopefully, that amount will take hold soon and you will be in a better place.

Andy

Thank you, Andy.

I certainly don't mind sitting tight with the 25mg Zoloft. I don't blame the ER for taking me down to 12.5mg. Fresh said it takes 4 days to get into my bloodstream. I restarted 25mg on Monday or Tuesday night (I am losing track).

Is there anything I can do to sleep? When nighttime hits, I get the worst racing thoughts, panic, insomnia, and that happens in the a.m., too. I'm assuming it's because the 25mg Zoloft isn't in my system yet.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

• Moderator Emeritus

What else have you tried for sleep, Serenity?  Did you try any kind of antihistamine like Benadryl?

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Have a bad case of cog fog and cannot follow your sig..I don't know if you already take the Xanax regularly but what would happen if you didn't take anything for sleep? And just let yourself sleep or not sleep for now? Just a theoretical question..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Melatonin? (Needs to check this is ok to take with ssri too) Andy, I don't think you can take antihistamine on ssri? My chemist told me I could not. Sorry will back out now if this is getting confusing.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

What else have you tried for sleep, Serenity?  Did you try any kind of antihistamine like Benadryl?

Hi Andy,

Yes, Saturday night when I couldn't sleep, I took a Benadryl. The ER and ambulance people think the Benadryl + Zoloft caused the panic attack. That's when they gave me Xanax.

I've also tried Chamomile tea, but that only helps for when it's not really true insomnia.

A friend recommended Valerian tea, but I am scared to try that. I don't know if it's going to react with the Zoloft or if my system is going to sensitive to that.

Melatonin? (Needs to check this is ok to take with ssri too) Andy, I don't think you can take antihistamine on ssri? My chemist told me I could not. Sorry will back out now if this is getting confusing.

Hi LoveandLight,

Thanks for the reply. No need to back out. I asked my psychiatrist on the phone if I could take Melatonin. He sounded irritated and said, "yes" but hung up before I was able to ask for proper instruction and direction. But then a friend of mine sent me an informative website about Melatonin and the first thing it said was to not take it for insomnia.

This is all quite confusing.

Have a bad case of cog fog and cannot follow your sig..I don't know if you already take the Xanax regularly but what would happen if you didn't take anything for sleep? And just let yourself sleep or not sleep for now? Just a theoretical question..

I'm detail oriented to a fault. Please let me know how I can make my signature less confusing.

I did not take the Xanax regularly. It was given to me at the ER this past Saturday night, and I was told to take one or two daily, and that's what I've been doing.

But my regular psychiatrist who I saw a couple of days ago, said don't take the Xanax unless you have a true panic attack, go back on 25mg Zoloft, and take Trazadone for sleep.

The insomnia I've had since being taken off the Zoloft in July is insane. It's not just like I'm sitting there with my eyes open not sleeping and tossing and turning. I start getting racing thoughts like crazy. Deep breathing doesn't help, music doesn't help, tv doesn't help. And then it just gets worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think some people take a small amount of things that aren't on "approved lists" to find sleep.  You have to be careful and need to make sure that things don't go sideways, but sleep is pretty critical.  I would definitely think that Melatonin would be the first option so that's good that the doc okayed it.  I think many people on SA take Melatonin for sleep. 

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Put any drug you're considering into the Interaction Checker at www.drugs.com to see possible interactions.

Benedryl has Moderate level risk with both zoloft AND xanax.

interaction-2-big.png diphenhydramine ↔ sertraline

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Zoloft (sertraline)

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with sertraline may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

Insomnia is only not sleeping , and you'd be amazed at how long a person in withdrawal can go without sleep (lol).  It can't hurt or kill you , just make the next day more difficult.   I agree with L&L , maybe consider accepting that you'll sleep when your body is ready. In the meantime , the task is to find things to do that minimize anxiety during the long nights.  Rest your body if you can.  

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I think some people take a small amount of things that aren't on "approved lists" to find sleep.  You have to be careful and need to make sure that things don't go sideways, but sleep is pretty critical.  I would definitely think that Melatonin would be the first option so that's good that the doc okayed it.  I think many people on SA take Melatonin for sleep. 

It's good to hear that a lot of people on SA take Melatonin for sleep. I agree, sleep is critical. And the racing thoughts when I have insomnia makes the anxiety worse and it all builds fast. That's what I think led to the panic attack on Saturday.

Put any drug you're considering into the Interaction Checker at www.drugs.com to see possible interactions.

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with sertraline may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

Insomnia is only not sleeping , and you'd be amazed at how long a person in withdrawal can go without sleep (lol).  It can't hurt or kill you , just make the next day more difficult.   I agree with L&L , maybe consider accepting that you'll sleep when your body is ready. In the meantime , the task is to find things to do that minimize anxiety during the long nights.  Rest your body if you can.  

I found it did make me drowsy, but I think the ambulance people thought it increased my heart rate which may have caused anxiety, but I'm not sure now.

I wouldn't mind the insomnia if it didn't come with all the horrendous racing thoughts and anxiety that just increases the longer I stay awake.

What kinds of things can I do to minimize the anxiety during the horrendous racing thoughts when I can't sleep?

Serenity I remember at the start of all this I would get nights like that thoughts a million miles an hr! I just lay there lol as I remember it was hard to do anything, can't remember why though..but anyway it was a looong night but it passed, and would be fine the next day and sleep the next night.

I have art therapy colouring books for adults..I could have done with something like that then..

• Moderator Emeritus

Anything.

Cleaning , housework , funny animal videos on youtube , movies , colouring in mandalas online , relaxation/meditation tracks , walking round

and round a chair (lol) , take a bath , put on a face-mask , write an affirmation over and over , pages and pages if it gives you a break and something

to focus your concentrate on.  Try all these things , and anything else.

What are some of the things you do now that help you decrease anxiety and agitation?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

My view on this may be a minority, but a possible moderate side effect would not preclude me from trying something if I felt I needed to try it.  Not as a first choice but somewhere along the line.  I also understand that insomnia won't kill you and that you can go without it, but I strongly believe that the vast majority of the brain healing process takes place with the chemicals that are released in different stages of sleep.  Failure to sleep won't kill you but it certainly can make it harder to recover.  I wouldn't risk a significant drug interaction, however, I would try a lot of different things if I couldn't otherwise get any real sleep.

But that's just me.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything you've said Andy - there was a time I would have had a leg amputated if it just made everything stop.

I believe we need to have relevant information in order to make an informed choice - then it's up to us.  

I've seen threads on here from people who recovered from ad withdrawal then were sent straight back to full-on withdrawal symptoms from antibiotics , benedryl , even nasal spray.

So Serenity , get as much info. as you can , and go for the options with the least likelihood of repercussions first. Understand the risks (this applies to ALL medications for the rest of your life).  

It's about day 5 now . . . you're getting there.  Any changes in the past 24 hours? 

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Serenity I remember at the start of all this I would get nights like that thoughts a million miles an hr! I just lay there lol as I remember it was hard to do anything, can't remember why though..but anyway it was a looong night but it passed, and would be fine the next day and sleep the next night.

I have art therapy colouring books for adults..I could have done with something like that then..

It's as if my brain is on speed! lol. I decided for the mess I'm going through now to take the Trazadone instead of the Melatonin because I read that Xanax doesn't interact well with Melatonin. Last night was the first night without the million miles an hour thousands of thoughts hitting me, and I slept okay except for two bad nightmares. My therapist wants me to "go with the flow" and "ride it out". I was actually able to do so last night. I am never able to do that! I go right into anxiety mode when stuff happens and I know that makes everything worse.

Where might I find art therapy coloring books for adults? I love that idea! I am a visual person and I find visual things help me. I did find a "stress release" game to use on my phone, but my therapist reminded me that the blue light of electronics is bad for sleep. I had been playing Solitare on my phone, too, but found that it caused more stress than relaxation. That's just where my brain is right now I guess.

I really wanted to read two nights ago, but my brain literally could not slow down enough to read the words on the page. I had a hard time explaining that to my therapist. My brain was all squirrely. It seemed to happen most often at night. I wonder if the Zoloft from the morning had worn out or something.

Anything.

Cleaning , housework , funny animal videos on youtube , movies , colouring in mandalas online , relaxation/meditation tracks , walking round

and round a chair (lol) , take a bath , put on a face-mask , write an affirmation over and over , pages and pages if it gives you a break and something

to focus your concentrate on.  Try all these things , and anything else.

What are some of the things you do now that help you decrease anxiety and agitation?

Fresh, you are a life saver and sanity saver!! I don't want to think about what worse of a mess I'd be in right now if I hadn't listened to your's and Andy's firm, clear, direct, yet friendly, warnings.

My therapist said I felt so good being off the Zoloft when I got home from the hospital, because I was likely in a hypomanic state!! He explained it that everyone loves how that feels, because you get a lot done (I got so much off of my to do list, it felt wonderful.) That's what kept me from going back on the Zoloft. It wasn't just the fear of another hyponatremia state happening (I am confident now it was not due to the Zoloft, but due to all the water I pounded when I was dehydrated). It was that I felt so good, I thought I would continue to feel that good if I didn't go back on the Zoloft. I couldn't have been more wrong. The last few weeks have been a nightmare.

I have now gone 2 days without any Xanax. It's scary how easily triggered I have felt, and how all the old ways of thinking from 20 years ago before I went on meds when I needed them, came rushing back. It made me question my actual progress in all the work I have done, but I have to tell myself it's just biochemical. This morning I was able to separate out the unhealthy thoughts as just biochemical and my brain needing time to heal.

Thanks for sharing your tips! You gave me some new ideas! :-) When my anxiety is out of control, I forget the things I learned in the past to do to keep the anxiety in control, like listening to music, brushing my dogs, reading something very light, (I love MUTTS comics), going for a walk, watching a movie, cleaning, watching birds, deep breathing, yoga, etc.

It seems to take a lot for me to get out of my head when the anxiety hits hard.

• Moderator Emeritus

Serenity,

Glad you are feeling better. As Fresh said, at the end of the day the decisions are with us so I won't question Trazadone or anything else you try (especially if it makes you feel better!).  The only think I will say is that the fact that your p-doc is a really nice guy should not be relevant to what you do or the choices you make.  You need to help you -- not protect him.

Just needed to say that.

;)

Andy

My view on this may be a minority, but a possible moderate side effect would not preclude me from trying something if I felt I needed to try it.  Not as a first choice but somewhere along the line.  I also understand that insomnia won't kill you and that you can go without it, but I strongly believe that the vast majority of the brain healing process takes place with the chemicals that are released in different stages of sleep.  Failure to sleep won't kill you but it certainly can make it harder to recover.  I wouldn't risk a significant drug interaction, however, I would try a lot of different things if I couldn't otherwise get any real sleep.

But that's just me.

Andy

Andy, your opinion is interesting. We all have to weigh out the pros and cons. My view on sleep is also that it is imperative for our recovery. True as you said insomnia won't kill us but I seemed to do a lot worse from the nights of my brain going haywire where I'd fall asleep and then wake up in this craziness. As much as I dislike taking meds, that is why I'm taking Xanax and Trazadone until my brain settles down.

I agree with everything you've said Andy - there was a time I would have had a leg amputated if it just made everything stop.

I believe we need to have relevant information in order to make an informed choice - then it's up to us.  

I've seen threads on here from people who recovered from ad withdrawal then were sent straight back to full-on withdrawal symptoms from antibiotics , benedryl , even nasal spray.

So Serenity , get as much info. as you can , and go for the options with the least likelihood of repercussions first. Understand the risks (this applies to ALL medications for the rest of your life).  

It's about day 5 now . . . you're getting there.  Any changes in the past 24 hours? 

Woah. People were off their meds successfully but then withdrawal symptoms came back from antibiotics, benadry, or nasal spray?!  I'm assuming this isn't something doctors are aware of?

Why do our systems become so extremely sensitive to meds? What did these people do, did they go back on SSRI's?

Serenity,

Glad you are feeling better. As Fresh said, at the end of the day the decisions are with us so I won't question Trazadone or anything else you try (especially if it makes you feel better!).  The only think I will say is that the fact that your p-doc is a really nice guy should not be relevant to what you do or the choices you make.  You need to help you -- not protect him.

Just needed to say that.

;)

Andy

Andy,

I edited that part out of my post about my pdoc, it was a silly thing to say. But I do thank you for setting the unhealthy thought I had straight. ;-)

I hate that I had to add more meds to this mess, but I knew in my gut it'd be the best thing for the short term.

~Serenity

• Moderator Emeritus

You have to do what makes sense for you, Serenity.  Just so you are on top of it and get off when you can. 

Just to be clear on the other post -- I agree with you on the sleep issue.  I believe it is critical to healing as well.

Andy

I found the mandalas coloring books for adults in the gaming section at the local bookstore, next to the Sudoku books. There were dozens to chose from. Personally, the way my brain is still all squirrely, I found most of them hurt my eyes and made me dizzy and nausea. I did end up finding two that were less dizzying--"Color Yourself Calm: a Mindfulness Coloring Book" and "Color Me Happy: 100 Coloring Templates That Will Make You Smile." Thanks for the suggestion! :-)

You have to do what makes sense for you, Serenity.  Just so you are on top of it and get off when you can. 

Just to be clear on the other post -- I agree with you on the sleep issue.  I believe it is critical to healing as well.

Andy

Apologies if my reply didn't come out as I intended it to. I just reread it, and I see it came out kind of gruff. That wasn't my intention because I agree with you. :-)

• Moderator Emeritus

Just for the record - I agree that sleep is essential for healing too.   It's all a trade-off , how much you can tolerate.

Re post 93 , see Farout's thread.   It happens because the genes that are responsible for metabolizing these drugs aren't doing their job properly - they are either metabolizing things too fast or too slow.

Excellent paper here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6216-non-psych-drugs-causing-psych-symptoms/?hl=antibiotics looks at a range of non-psych meds. causing psychiatric symptoms.

"Antibiotics. Penicillin and its analogues are associated with sedation, anxiety, and hallucinations. Delirium has been reported as a side effect of most cephalosporins, especially in patients with compromised renal function. Quinolones such as ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin rarely cause restlessness, irritability, lethargy, tremors, insomnia, mania, depression, psychosis, delirium, seizures, or catatonia (incidence ≤1%).5 Though not commonly used, chloramphenicol may cause depression, confusion, and delirium. Many case reports have strongly associated clarithromycin with delirium.33

Isoniazid is one of the most commonly used antibiotics that can cause psychiatric side effects; it has been linked to delirium, mania, depression, and psychosis. Ethionamide is associated with sedation, irritability, depression, restlessness, and psychosis. Tetracyclines have been known to cause depression, insomnia, and irritability at high dosages.

Sulfonamides can cause delirium. Psychosis and confusion also have been reported, especially when sulfa drugs are combined with trimethoprim"

You're sounding better just now and that's lovely my friend.  

In the Symptoms and Self Care section there's a thread about Mandalas and links to sites you can colour them online - it's kinda cool.

Perhaps you could post a photo of your dogs in the PETS and Love thread in Off Topic?

:) 

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

If you stay on the trazodone for any length of time, you'll need to taper that as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy

Apologies if my reply didn't come out as I intended it to. I just reread it, and I see it came out kind of gruff. That wasn't my intention because I agree with you. :-)

LOL, Serenity.

I didn't think it was gruff at all.  Don't stress.  I'm behind you and supporting you.  Hope you are sleeping and feeling better!

;)

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Serenity , how are you doing?  Any changes?

xxx

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

It's been quite a crazy ride to say the least.

I start to feel a mustard seed of feeling better, but then the anxiety comes back. I haven't had a Xanax for about 4 days which is great, but the Trazadone or something else is not sitting right with me--double-vision like vision last night, pounding headache, and no energy whatsoever today.

I was able to catch 2 or 3 anxiety attacks over the last week before they worsened, although 1 I made worse by feeding into it and had to take a Xanax. I didn't realize it was an anxiety attack. My neighbor took my blood pressure and it was very high. That's when I realized what it was. I usually run low.

Saturday night and Sunday night were my first full nights of sleep. I don't know what happened last night.

I had "GI issues" this morning and I don't know if it's the E coli infection, side effect from meds, or what (did I write that here yet? Thank god the nurse took me seriously and we did "tests" and that came back as E coli (EPEC) positive. I'm not anxious today, just utterly exhausted.

I feel like I have drained all of my reserves, physical and mental. Yesterday I saw my pdoc (went well--he mentioned meditation and yoga, how cool is it to have a pdoc who mentions those things even if he talked meds too obviously) and ran a couple of errands. I thought I was up to it. I guess I wasn't.

I seem to still be triggered very easily, by tv shows for example.

I had a few good hours yesterday, between dinner and bedtime. I felt like my old self again, and even my husband said so. I did forget to take the Trazadone with food, so perhaps my body just didn't react well to that. Or maybe it was a delayed reaction from running errands and trying to straighten up around here.

Apologies for not writing sooner. I am trying to not be on the internet too much because it causes a lot of anxiety worrying about antidepressants and benzos and my health in general. I can get a little OCD about it and caught up in worry and anxiety.

I am curious if anyone ever had their cortisol and adrenal function hormones tested? I read that medical doctors will test for adrenal insufficiency but not for adrenal fatigue.

Then again....maybe I am just downright exhausted after everything my body and brain have been through.

Thanks for checking in, Fresh. :-) It's good to be in a place with others who get it.

I may have forgotten to mention I was put on Protonox, 40mg for the recent GI issues I'm assuming are from the E coli (originally thought gall bladder or ulcer possibilities). I'm assuming there's no drug interaction with that? Then again, there is that new theory about the gut being our second brain and serotonin in the gut and all that. I wonder if this is all somehow connected. My therapist knows a naturopath who believes in that theory and how antibiotics have ruined our guts and how it could be related to mood and all that. I've been on a lot of antibiotics on my lifetime. Eager to hear from others about this topic so please do chime in.

I had a large cup of chamomile tea last night right before I took the Trazadone. I didn't see the two interacting when I looked online, but I'm wondering if that was an issue?

• Moderator Emeritus

Serenity,

Sounds like all in all you are doing pretty well which is good. There will undoubtedly be lots of ups and downs as you heal. Hang in there and ride it out.

The "theory" about the gut as the second brain is way more than that -- it is proven science in the aftermath of the Microbiome project. Recent research at Stanford isolated the fact that the the communication between brain and gut is two-way and your gut significantly impacts your brain, mood, etc. so, yes, your antibiotic use as a kid can impact you as an adult. Gut issues can impact mood issues. Etc., etc., etc.

Andy

Serenity,

Sounds like all in all you are doing pretty well which is good. There will undoubtedly be lots of ups and downs as you heal. Hang in there and ride it out.

The "theory" about the gut as the second brain is way more than that -- it is proven science in the aftermath of the Microbiome project. Recent research at Stanford isolated the fact that the the communication between brain and gut is two-way and your gut significantly impacts your brain, mood, etc. so, yes, your antibiotic use as a kid can impact you as an adult. Gut issues can impact mood issues. Etc., etc., etc.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Riding it out is not easy for me, but I am doing the best I can.

I wonder if being on the Protonix has been what's made me so anxious, since it affects my gut. I am interested in reading more about the gut/brain communication and will look into it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Serenity.  Not suggesting it is true in all cases, but PPIs are some of the most difficult meds for people to handle systemically.  Here is an article from Chris Kresser, who is a highly respected naturopathic alternative med guy, regarding the subject.

Dig into this space and you will find out a lot of stuff that could be a factor.

Andy

https://chriskresser.com/how-your-antacid-drug-is-making-you-sick-part-a/

Hi, Serenity.  Not suggesting it is true in all cases, but PPIs are some of the most difficult meds for people to handle systemically.  Here is an article from Chris Kresser, who is a highly respected naturopathic alternative med guy, regarding the subject.

Dig into this space and you will find out a lot of stuff that could be a factor.

Andy

https://chriskresser.com/how-your-antacid-drug-is-making-you-sick-part-a/

Thanks for the link, Andy.  I am familiar with Chris Kresser. I read a lot of his info when I stopped following the plant based vegan diet I was following. I'm having a rough day today. I wish my brain would regulate back already. I'll see if Chris wrote anything about tapering off PPIs.