☼ Nadia: There is hope!

Nadia

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your encouraging post, and may things get better and better for you!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Basil and Jemima! I hope you guys are seeing improvements as well. When I'm in the middle of a bad spell, it's hard to see the forest for the trees. I can become consumed in the moment and get really down (my old issues with depression add to this as well). I also realize how quickly things can degrade, for no apparent reason. I have had two bad nights of sleep, for example, and am ready to throw in the towel (you get used to feeling better fast)!

But then I look back at my journal (which I started up again to keep track of my menstrual cycles for getting pregnant), and WOW! I had a full 6 days of good sleep in a row (meaning six to seven solid hours and then being able to go back to sleep for about another hour and a half, and feeling rested)! And that was in a period of really high stress. I think that breaks a record for me.

What it all adds up to is that I feel myself becoming more resilient to stress. I've also noticed recently that I can take more supplements. I have been taking l-arginine and have been able to take it more days in a row without it going paradoxical. So I think my nervous system is finally repairing itself.

May we all be free of this some day, fully healed, and ready to tackle lifes usual and normal challenges.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Nadia, for coming back with an update and for your comment in the Seriphos thread.

I just read your entire thread, thank you for detailing your difficult journey, you have been through a lot, I'm in awe of your strength and determination.  You describe the symptoms and thought processes that go along with this perfectly, which for me, provided some much needed conformation that most of what I'm going through is in fact withdrawal related.

I relate very closely to your struggle to try and find understanding, control and faster healing through your own attempts at manipulating various factors.  After reading through your thread, I also came to the conclusion that the only real solution is time and keeping stress to as manageable a level, as much as life allows.

Wishing you continued healing :)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nadia,

I read mostly from the beginning of this series of posts, and just wanted to tell you my similar feelings.  I had been taking ad's for a similar time period, quit, and then had severe withdrawals months after.  I went back on, and then decided that maybe I needed to have a child before it was too late, maybe this was an answer to my empty life.  But like yourself I was very indecisive and needed to consult others about it.  Ultimately no one could tell me not to or that I should, it had to be my decision.  I wasn't sure about my relationship.  The doctors told me it was okay to be on ad's while pregnant so I decided to try, thinking it was maybe too late anyways.  After some miscarriages I was finally pregnant at 40.  I then weaned off effexor, slowly, but still too quickly, and had the baby.  I had a very difficult birth and couldn't walk much for a couple months, the doc told me stay in bed.  Winter was approaching.  I started getting depression for awhile, then severe anxiety waves and had to get back on the drug about 2 mo's after the baby was born.  I agonized over the decision to quit breastfeeding, as I would start the drugs again.  Finally after consulting many people I continue to feed her on the medication.  Having lived through that, having a newborn while being sick like that, I guess I would tell someone that of course it would be ideal to get off the drugs to have a baby, but also it would be important to have some plans, for when / if postpartum depression kicks in, will you take the meds again?  How much support will you have with the baby?  Would someone be able to stay with you for extra help for months, even a year?  If you're suicidal or having severe panic attacks and can't connect properly with the baby, will that person be helpful?  Will you breastfeed?  On meds?  I ask these questions because these are some issues I agonized over, being very indecisive, after the baby was born.  It was so hard.  Maybe it would help to have a plan in case of things.  I didn't have enough support where I live to have a baby.  That was and is my biggest regret, that my family was far.  Also, that I now have stronger obligations towards my partner's family, who I can hardly stand.  I should have thought of how that would drive me nuts.  I mean really, I could avoid visits a lot easier without the baby.  I thought that maybe I'd never be happy without a child.  Now I see things from a different perspective, I think I could have, with maybe more therapy and life changes.  I sure can't get out of this marriage easily now, it was already hard, now seems impossible.  I love my child beyond belief, thank god I have her, but I see now that my thinking was in kind of a rut, and I only saw having a baby could make my life more meaningful.  It really is more meaningful, but it's also full of so many more challenges.  I know that I can only own my decisions, accept my lot in life and go forward, praying to god my baby can have a good life.  I was an atheist before, but now I need to pray, that's how hard it is sometimes.  I hope you can make your decisions and be happy with them. 

Otherwise just to say, I connect with your story!

16 yrs ago started zoloft for fatigue & bodily pains

went off 4-ish yrs ago

suffered major symptoms of mostly waves of anxiety & panic, also some mania & depression approx. 6 mo's later

went back on effexor 150,

down to 75,

went off to have a baby, off for about 6 months no symptoms

back on 25, then 50 a month post baby with major postpartum depression & anxiety waves,

finally okay on 75 but wondering if I'll be on for the rest of my life

Omgwtf,

I'm past the age to have a child, but found your post very powerful in its honesty. Thank you.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 month later...

"My worst days now are 100% better than my best days back then"

At almost 15 months off, and still struggling with very bad days of depression-anxiety, dark thoughts and horrible broken sleep, I cling to these words to give me hope and keep on walking through this terrible dark tunnel.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hi everyone... I'm sorry I don't drop in as much as I would like.

Petu, thank you for your kind words! I hope your path to recovery goes as well as possible, and that you find the strength to see it through.

OMGWTF... thank you for sharing your perspective with me! I still go back and forth a lot on whether I should keep trying to have a baby, but in the past month, though I'm still taking fertility supplements, I've started to think that I might give up on the idea. I realized I don't just want a baby, I want a family, a certain kind of life. Some friends tell me to go for it even if I don't feel I'm in the ideal place, that somehow things will work out. Others tell me (some, like you, with children of their own), that it's no picnic, and life can be just as satisfying without a child. Maybe my energies would be better put to use in creating a life I really feel satisfied with. It really helps to hear your story. I hope things somehow improve for you...

Alex... I'm so sorry to hear you're yet another person caught in this nightmare. But YES!! Cling to my words! It might take a while, but things CAN get better. I'm actually going through a lot in my life right now and feeling depressed, but over and over I think... OH MY GOD, I'M OK!! I'M REALLY HEALING!! It will be 3 years in November since I went cold turkey off my meds, and though I had off and on improvements from the very first year, it is only since December of 2012 that I feel I've made really lasting progress. What is happening now is that the periods of me feeling better (the windows) are actually creating a lasting resilience. I'm not so easy to topple into a wave anymore. Even when I'm feeling down, I recognize it as something very different from the withdrawal issues.

For example... one big trigger for "waves" for me was work stress. Last night I had some anxiety over something about work and I thought "oh no, here it comes"... but today I am totally fine, and last night I slept 8 hours straight no problem. God... I can't tell you how thankful I am for getting better sleep, too! For the first time ever, the past ten days I have slept well (one day up to 10 hours!), without waking up in the middle of the night or dawn, while at home and dipped into the usual set of stressors!! Even better than the last time I posted.

I still have little things that come and go... for example, I'll get tinnitus, in ever different patterns (this ear, that ear, continuous, intermittent, etc.). But something that used to last days, now only lasts hours. I think on occasion I still get dizzy, but I couldn't tell you when it happened last. And it takes way, way more over-exertion for me to get that "post-exertional malaise." I can tell my body is still trying to figure out energy levels, so at times I can feel a little manic (which can be quite welcome to get work done and feel happy!), and at times I'm too amped at times I shouldn't be and too tired when I should be OK... but it's these subtle little shifts. Before, I used to liken my anxiety to someone having somehow shot me up with massive amounts of amphetamines. God, I don't know how I made it through, but I did.

So, I'm here to say again that I definitely feel lasting progress. I'm certain now that it's not just a fluke or a window that's going to go away. It's my nervous system healing. People around me notice it, too.

SO HANG IN THERE, EVERYBODY! One step at a time. Just concentrate on surviving today. And do everything you can to soothe your nervous system.

Nadia

P.S. I recently went over some old correspondence, and was interested to read that the time I tried to quit antidepressants in 2008 I had the same issues as in 2010 (except I chickened out and reinstated). I mention extreme spaciness, not feeling like myself, diarrhea, panic attacks, feeling like I'm going to get the flu... except when I was writing in 2008 I kept on thinking they were due to environmental factors. For me it was just further proof that what I just went through these past years is DEFINITELY due to having quit antidepressants. I think for a long time I spent a lot of energy trying to convince friends and family that I wasn't crazy... that is the saddest part of all of this. The fact that we're largely fighting an invisible battle. I guess my advice about it, though, is save your energy if you can with that. Don't go overboard trying to convince anyone and instead concentrate on being kind to yourself.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in Nadia, you've made a lot of progress!  It sounds like we may hear a success story from you in the not too distant future.  

I agree that trying to convince others can be an energy sink.  I'm trying to given it up myself, though it's difficult.  

I hope that things continue to improve for you, I strongly suspect that they will.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thank you Nadia!!

You are one of my bright stars in this dark night...

From tropical CR, love to you, A.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone! Just popping in to remind you things CAN get better and I'm living proof of it.

Still struggling with a few issues (in fact, just coming out of my latest relapse with anxiety and waking with panic), but it's amazing how even at my worst now I'm still able to get enough sleep to function and lots of the worst symptoms seem to be gone for good (like depersonalization).

Things are looking up, I feel quite human and normal most days, and I wish you all the same kind of healing I've experienced. Hang in there!

• Administrator

Good to hear from you again, Nadia! Glad you're doing pretty well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nadia, it is lovely to see someone who is doing so well. Thank you for popping by,

it helps a lot for people to see that it does  get better  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Nadia, it is lovely to see someone who is doing so well. Thank you for popping by,

it helps a lot for people to see that it does  get better  :)

Good to hear from you again, Nadia! Glad you're doing pretty well.

Ditto!!! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing your story. I know it makes a big difference to people who aren't even sure yet that there is an end to the tunnel, let alone whether there might be light there.

If you have the time, please consider writing a success story. I think you qualify!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

It is so good to hear from you, Nadia.  I agree with Rhi.  You have had quite a journey and I think you qualify as a success story, too.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm not around as much as I used to be... I think for me it was/is important to step away from thinking about withdrawal as a way of "changing the channel"... I will definitely be popping in every once in a while to let you know of my progress, though!

I guess I DO think that I have been successful in recovering, but I'm not ready to write a success story just yet. I feel like I have more good healing, and also more challenges, yet to come, and I would rather wait until I feel my progress is more complete to post SUCCESS!

I CAN say, however, that I have continued to feel like the progress I have made is now "irreversible" and I feel a normal person most of the time. That doesn't mean that I don't have bad days or bad stretches. Especially when things get very stressful or when my menstrual cycle is in the second half, I have some morning anxiety again.

The other symptoms that still randomly show up are very, very light tinnitus (that usually lasts an evening or two and then goes away again), the weird back tension or discomfort in my neck and sacrum area (which may be related to other problems that are not withdrawal-related, but still often coincides with anxiety--it's unlike any other muscle tension and feels as if acid has accumulated--not sure how else to describe it), and very occasional, light dizziness.

When I'm not well, I have to make sure not to get sensory overload and be more careful with computer use and watching agitating shows or being in loud places. I also have to watch out not to eat too much sugar or chocolate or caffeine (not much of a caffeine consumer, anyway). My recovery time is a few days now, instead of months.

Things that seem to be gone for good: DP, DR, all-day anxiety and panic attacks, the flu-like tiredness after exerting myself too much, gastrointestinal stuff, weird blood sugar issues (which were probably tied in to high cortisol).

I've become so spoiled that when I have even the slightest bit of anxiety in the morning I complain bitterly. And then I remember what it used to be like, and I think, OH, THANK GOODNESS. I can deal with this! I'll be OK in a bit. No use in trying to fight it, just let it pass on it's own. I'll do minor things like taking NAC or l-arginine or niacinamide when I wake too early, and I'll make sure to eat well, exercise, and meditate, and then I'll be back to being OK in a couple of days.

Now my issues are "larger"... I'm thinking about making big life changes, about what I truly want in life. Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew, but I feel like I've "rejoined the world". Most of this progress happened in the past 14 months or so. Before that, I would have periods of feeling much better, but they were fleeting and the "waves" were so bad that I truly doubted I would ever get better.

The specific progress I've noticed in the past three months or so is that I'm a bit more emotionally level and don't swing between manic and depressed as much.

I feel confident that there is more improvement to come. I still wonder if I'll ever be entirely free of anxiety, if I'll always be more susceptible to stress than other people, if there is even such a thing as "going back to who I was before meds". But then I think that even if I didn't get ANY better than I am now, my life is finally livable again. I also think that in a lot of ways, I'm better off now than I was at 24 when I got on antidepressants. I am more willing to find healthier and better solutions to my challenges. More willing to embrace myself for the sensitive, emotional person I am. To find my place in the world without feeling bullied by the expectations of others.

I wish you all healing and flow and wellness! And perseverance... this is a tough ride we got on, and somehow, we are making it! Like they say, if you're in hell, keep walking, and I'd add, don't worry about doing gracefully! Do it any way you can.

Thank you Nadia! you are a success story for me already.....

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear from you and thnk you for stopping in to post!!!  You are an inspiration! 

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

So very good to hear from you, Nadia. Please stay in touch!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks, guys! I've been feeling a bit down these past couple of days and it really helps to know that reporting back about my recovery can give others hope.

nadia, your updates are much appreciated :) thank you! :)

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you have been feeling down lately Nadia, but I wanted to thank you for what you have been writing here and on other places on the site, I've found some comfort and hope in what you have shared.  I especially like what you wrote in response to a post in symptoms about feelings of insanity, that as long as you are still able to verbalize what is going on, then you are ok.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone! Just popping in to celebrate with you FOUR YEARS OFF ADs!!!

I'm doing better than ever!! Almost no symptoms to speak of, life moving forward, challenges being met with. It's been a long and winding road, but things get better.

Hang in there.

N.

Nadia,

I'm truly glad to hear you're doing well.

Are you off all drugs now? Had you been on benzos or neuroleptics? I'm not doing well, still, but am still on a few things and afraid to make any changes while still so unstable from Pristiq and Vyvanse DCs in 2011. Suspect my adrenals are getting worse.

If you don't mind another question... how do you think your recovery would have been effected/different if you were unable to work or get out? Sorry to be a downer. I'm really very pleased for you, sweet Nadia.

You are loved.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Congratulations dear Nadia;thank you for stopping by.

I am 27 months off;doing better, but still struggling with "wavy" days, mostly anxiety and DP.

Broken sleep and PSSD seem to be the most persistent symptoms.

But I must say I've had an important overall improvement.

Un abrazo, A.

• Administrator

So good to hear, Nadia! Is it time for your success story http://tinyurl.com/8uucq38 ?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Nadia, how are you?

Are you still in Mexico? Please post here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8026-mexico-members-please-check-in-here/

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm going to assume you're not visiting often because you're doing much better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Nadia has posted her Success Story here 5 Years Off - I Survived Antidepressants

In keeping with our tradition, I'm going to lock this thread as a new chapter in her life opens.

Congratulations, Nadia!