Antidepressant Drugs & Suicide Rates

UnfoldingSky

http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/03/antidepressant-drugs-suicide-rates/

By Philip Hickey, PhD

March 2, 2015

In 2010, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica published a study by Göran Isacsson et al.  The paper was titled Antidepressant Medication Prevents Suicide in Depression.  Here's the conclusion:

"The finding that in-patient care for depression did not increase the probability of the detection of antidepressants in suicides is difficult to explain other than by the assumption that a substantial number of depressed individuals were saved from suicide by postdischarge treatment with antidepressant medication."

It's a complicated article, with some tenuous logic, but note in particular the contrast between the fairly cautious wording in the conclusion, and the bold, even brazen, assertion in the title.

But, in any event, it's all moot, because the article was retracted by the authors and by Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica about sixteen months after publication.  The retraction had been requested by the authors because of "… unintentional errors in the analysis of the data …"

More at above link...

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

After reading this article I think I am going to be hard-pressed to believe anything that "studies say", especially when they are pro-drug....

The main point of the article is this:

"Karolinska Institutet stated to the court: 'that information has now been produced … The result shows that ‘the correct percentage’ is 56, meaning that of the persons who had been treated for depression in psychiatric care in the last five years before suicide, 56% had antidepressants in their blood when they committed suicide.'

So finally we got to know that the 15.2% in actual fact was 56% – an increase of 268% (from 164 persons to 603)."

They claimed that 15.2% had ADs in their blood when they took their lives, instead the actual number was 56%!!!  And using the incorrect figure the study was used to promote the idea that ADs prevent suicide.

And then there's another issue not mentioned here either, in that how many suicides were from the symptoms of withdrawal???

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy