SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fresh's Fractured Fairytale: How Much Can a Koala Bear?

Fresh

Really hope they win

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

You bet.   We'll just have to stay tuned.   In the meantime I sit with a contract in front of me , waiting to be signed.  Trying to find out if a civil

suite precludes one from being involved in a class action further down the track.  Getting all my ducks in  a row. 

I finally got some withdrawal symptoms (lol) , the first since March.   First I had a period of increased activity , enthusiasm , energy.

That's when I made strawberry jam with only berries and chia seeds (http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04/healthy-jam-recipe/ , started experimenting with savory seed crackers (see http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2014/07/the-life-changing-crackers/) , reorganized several drawers filled with smalls and doggie outfits , and got out to the park almost every day.  That lasted about 2 weeks.

For the past few days I've had stabby ear pain in right ear , sensitive skin under right eye/cheek and a sore throat in the upper right section when I swallow.  And I've been more sleepy , feeling a bit worn out again. Still a touch of sore throat today , the other things have stopped thank goodness.  

And it didn't wipe me out - I've made 3 trays of crackers this morning . . . garlic , cheese and black pepper , seaweed , and chicken flavour . . . yummo.

I realized just now that since Friday I've been substituting my usual hermesetas for stevia , in the move to a healthier me.  I really didn't like it - will try again some other time.

So now I'm wondering if you could get symptoms from cold turkeying an artificial sweetener?   Any thoughts anyone?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hey Fresh Sorry your having some WD symptoms but sounds like your dealing with them pretty well! That sounds like one heck of a Jam! healthy and Tasty!   Im not sure about CT sweeteners.  My guess would be it could cause a small reaction if you have had it everyday for a long time and than cut it out. I know for me when Ive tried to CT sugar I get pretty agitated .So now I really try and just cut out the refined sugar. I hope all your WD symptoms go away soon ! Im sure they will 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

You go girl! I am really happy that you have found a lawyer who is willing to take on your case! Good luck! :) Best wishes, Hopefull! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

"Yola had me contact a lawyer so i emailed him , and today he phoned me.  We talked , he's keen , and we meet next week to sign papers and get things rolling.   No win , no fee , standard % of settlement/costs awarded.  

It's a fairly standard medical negligence situation , with the added twist of ssri's  prescribed at double the recommended dose for 6 years , concurrently with a number of meds with dangerous interactions."

Wow way to go Fresh!! 

"In the meantime I sit with a contract in front of me , waiting to be signed.  Trying to find out if a civil

suite precludes one from being involved in a class action further down the track.  Getting all my ducks in  a row."

Wow this sounds like you have the green light . Wonderful news.

I wish you every success. You deserve it.

i hope you take that doc to the cleaners. Wouldnt that set a great precedent for others as well. That would certainly be a wake up call to the other docs in aussie for sure.

Note how i didnt do 'bold'...and note my caring tender anger-less encouragement ... not easy for a kiwi  to give to an Aussie but somehow i managed!! :)

Go you good thing you!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

INTERMISSION . . . BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE MENTAL WELLNESS SUMMIT

Highlight of Day 1

Robert Whitaker, Author, Publisher of Mad in America

The Perils of Big Pharma

• Psychiatry: The influence of institutions & madmen
  • Destructive DSM-3 & deception of the chemical imbalance theory
  • Massive scale of social injury to the public without informed consent

http://mentalwellnesssummit.com/yhryui/

Free online seminar happening NOW , August 10-17  Click the link to register , share it with your friends

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Fresh thanks so much for this, i just listened to the 36 mins of Whittaker. 

It is basically a summary of his book Under the Influence which i have and have read. But what a brilliant summary so well articulated.

This is a MUST listen to for all of us.

The host also mentioned Brogan a psychiatrist who has turned on her profession i couldnt believe that both Brogan and Whittaker are currently being deluged with doctors and others in the med profession for help, people who have swallowed this stuff and cant get off. And i totally believe it. One of the people who came to prior place just before it was shut down was a anesthitist  so yeah it is a growing mess for sure.

I'm going to listen to this again and take notes.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a MUST listen to for all of us.

NZ,

As I posted when I originally mentioned this summit, do yourself an even BIGGER favor than the Whittaker interview and watch Kelly Brogan's interview -- available until 10AM Eastern time tomorrow -- she will absolutely BLOW YOU AWAY.

As compelling as Whittaker's interview was, Dr. Brogan is doing hands on work with patients in trying to get them off the SSRIs.  She admits that after she read "Anatomy" she went too far for a short while and threw away her prescription pad.  How many docs admit to that?!

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hey guys Id like to listen to it but I am always cautious to read things that may say too much negative info. Thats why I am reluctant to read books that may say that people have permanent damage and so forth. These things could crush me.  SO Is there anything in the interviews that could upset me ? or is okay for someone to read whos fragile ?? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Mort,

I don't think there's anything that would strike you that way in Dr. Brogan's interview.  Whittaker is a little closer to the edge I think.  He speaks in broader brushes because he is a researcher writer and not a doctor.

Just my opinion.  Always hard to know what will upset someone else.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Intermission continued (back to the personal dramas later  :) )

Would it be inappropriate to purchase the set and transcribe it with one of those new-fangled interweb thingys?

I've duplicated post 222 above in the Australia room , maybe anyone who reads it could do the same for their country (ha ha ha , serve your country!)

Andy , thanks for letting me know about this.

NZ , hugs to you , more later.  I can only do a limited number of sensible posts a day.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Totally understand Fresh.

Sounds to me like this was all recorded at the beginning of the year  as the host asks Whittaker when is his under the influence book coming out.

Just listened to half of Kelly Brogan ...its a 53 min talk. Andy is the rest worth listening to?

Here is what is said at about 12min 30 secs ....Brogan has learnt all what she knows from "patients message boards like beyond meds and blogs" basically patient support groups.

When we say stuff we are dismissed when someone with several degrees says the same stuff they shoot to star-dome!

Boy there are a lot of people completely wasting their money at med school. They may know the difference between their ass and their elbow and their geographical location but as Gotzsche has said they know stuff all about the drugs they are peddling. Zilch zip zero naught nil !

No disrespect to Brogan but this is a shameful indictment on the whole profession.

This woman despite having lots of letters after her name knows nothing more than what we do here at sa. And quite possibly even less.

In fact it seems that prior to reading Whittakers book "anatomy of an epidemic ' in 2010 she was clueless. Which is what started her on this journey. And the moving away form a drug paradigm.

Good for her anyway she is one of the few that has clearly listened to the voices of patients joined the dots and acted. She isnt in the same league as the other big names but she is someone who has recently realized the emporer indeed has no clothes. imo

Not sure if i will listen to any more although the one on 'drug interactions ' looks interesting. It times out in about 13 hours. Bit of marketing hype going on to buy their thrown together interviews. I am sure the Whittaker talk about his book may well be available on youtube i know his anatomy one is and i found it excellent as well.

Interesting point from Brogan at 14 mins ..she has found ssris and especially klonopin as the most challenging to get people off more so than antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.

Both Brogan and Whittaker are singing our song here and it is this 'we all need to take responsibility for our healthcare...dont trust the common wisdom' basically 'research for yourself' . Easier to just take Gotzsches and Breggins advice here...'Just say NO' imo

Recovering paxil addict

Hey guys Id like to listen to it but I am always cautious to read things that may say too much negative info. Thats why I am reluctant to read books that may say that people have permanent damage and so forth. These things could crush me.  SO Is there anything in the interviews that could upset me ? or is okay for someone to read whos fragile ?? 

There is really nothing new in what i have listened to just Whittaker articulating in 36 mins his book summary nothing scary just expounding on pharma's illusions . You may be able to get his book under the influence from the library ...despite having the book myself i asked my local library to buy it and they did.

Yeah i am with you on being too scared to watch stuff  i am often reluctant too.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Totally understand Fresh.

Just listened to half of Kelly Brogan ...its a 53 min talk. Andy is the rest worth listening to?

Here is what is said at about 12min 30 secs ....Brogan has learnt all what she knows from "patients message boards like beyond meds and blogs" basically patient support groups.

When we say stuff we are dismissed when someone with several degrees says the same stuff they shoot to star-dome!

Boy there are a lot of people completely wasting their money at med school.

This woman despite having lots of letters after her name knows nothing more than what we do here at sa. And quite possibly even less.

In fact it seems that prior to reading Whittakers book "anatomy of an epidemic ' in 2010 she was clueless. Which is what started her on this journey. And the moving away form a drug paradigm.

Good for her anyway she is one of the few that has clearly listened to the voices of patients joined the dots and acted. She isnt in the same league as the other big names but she is someone who has recently realized the emporer indeed has no clothes. imo

NZ,

I quoted some relevant pieces of your post.

I think what she says is very valuable. Does it break new ground for us in the know? No. But this is being heard by lots of people who are not in the know. I respect her willingness to confront the establishment in such a public way.

In part, perhaps your statements that don't indict her are, in fact, what she clearly acknowledges -- that the med schools are under pharma control and we are pawns. She makes no bones about the fact that she didn't learn THE TRUTH in medical school. If a doctor with her intellect and research skills didn't learn what we have in the real world what does that say about the conspiracy the big pharma is perpetrating.

I find the clarity of her statements extremely refreshing.

Does it break new ground for us in the know? No. But this is being heard by lots of people who are not in the know.

Good point ....we know too much!

No one knows a drug like the one who has taken it.

Recovering paxil addict

ok i listened to all Brogan

49 mins Brogan says " I literally do not have one person, a therapist in all of Manhatten, that i can refer to who can support what my patients are going through in medication tapering"

"There is such a demand [for tapering therapists]."

Pharma clearly have a lot to answer for.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

ok i listened to all Brogan

49 mins Brogan says " I literally do not have one person, a therapist in all of Manhatten, that i can refer to who can support what my patients are going through in medication tapering"

"There is such a demand [for tapering therapists]."

Pharma clearly have a lot to answer for.

I think it is an incredible indictment of psychiatry by one of its own who realized she had been lied to and misled. To me that is newsworthy. We say this stuff every day, but we are in the vast minority. She is a rising star with a growing following. The more words gets out, the more likely that the tide starts to turn.

yep if she keeps this up Brogan will be the next Breggin for sure.

I do like her idea of a starter dose reduction to see how people go however i kinda think for longtermers at least the 15-20% she mentioned could well be too much.

imo id go for 2.5 %.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I take my hat off to anyone in her position who is game to speak out so boldly against the establishment.  

We need all the ambassadors we can get , and they will come in all shapes and sizes.  So long as the knowledge is spread , the form doesn't matter.

Media article out this week: the full article can be viewed at  http://cepuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Times-Magazine-18-July-2015-pdf.pdf

"Rapid withdrawal and misprescribing of a benzodiazepine leads to £1.35m settlement for Luke Montagu, CEP co-founder

By admin on 18/07/2015 in In the Press, News, Psychiatric drugs, Recovery Stories

The UK Times Magazine today publishes a long article describing CEP founder Luke Montagu’s terrible experience with antidepressants and sleeping pills:

When he was first prescribed these drugs at 19, Montagu was not depressed and had never been diagnosed with depression. He was a student at New York University, and had recently undergone a general anaesthetic for a sinus operation that left him with headaches and feeling, as he puts it, “not myself”. Without carrying out any tests, a British GP announced that he had a “chemical imbalance of the limbic system” and prescribed Prozac. Montagu, “impressionable and in awe of doctors”, swallowed them unquestioningly.

However, he didn’t feel any better and over the course of the next five years saw various doctors who, no less than nine times, switched him to different drugs. Montagu was given a variety of different diagnoses, with no two medics seemingly able to agree. “One doctor said it was anxiety, another suggested conversion disorder. None of them seemed to accept what I knew – and would point out quite heatedly – which was this was all a consequence of the sinus operation and the chopping and changing of the various drugs.”

On a couple of occasions, Montagu had tried to quit, but always felt so bad that he quickly resumed the drugs. “I thought it was because I needed the medication; now I understand that it was because I was going into withdrawal each time I tried to come off the drugs. But the doctors never spotted that,” he says.

“When I restarted the drugs, I would feel better, at least initially. At the time, I didn’t realise that I was just like a junkie who needed a fix – my body and brain had become dependent on these chemicals."

“It’s pretty shocking that there are virtually no NHS resources to help people get though the hell of withdrawal, particularly since the problem has largely been caused by NHS treatment,” says Montagu, still measured in his speech but his passion rising. “It’s getting worse – more than 57 million prescriptions for antidepressants were issued in England last year. That’s 7 per cent more than 2013 and 500 per cent more than 1992.”

Montagu eventually sued Dr Collins for the rapid withdrawal and long-term misprescribing of clonazepam, which led to a £1.35m out of court settlement, including legal fees.   

The full article can be viewed at  http://cepuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Times-Magazine-18-July-2015-pdf.pdf

:D

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

It takes a lot of courage to speak out . The "repercussions " can be intense. She is being brave , as she turns against  the "mainstream" popular opinion.  As you say Fresh, "Hats off to her ".  Thank goodness, for some rare "hero's & heroine's ".  Maybe , eventually the word will get "out there".  We can live in  hope, that in the future there won't be the suffering, we have gone through.  Good on you , "Kelly Brogan. "

Love you Fresh,   Hugs,  Ali. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Ali.   There's an old Indian story that each of us on our own is like a finger by itself . . . we can only do so much.  

But when we join with other fingers , we become part of a hand , and are capable of more than we thought possible.

I used to be a finger , but have been feeling a little like part of a hand of late.   :)

DAY 2 of the Mental Wellness Summit - free online summit happening NOW

Each talk is available free for 24 hours , click on the link below to check it out and register

http://mentalwellnesssummit.com/yhryui/

• mansoor-mohammed.jpg?08b5b8

MANSOOR MOHAMMED, PHD   METHYLATION, GENOMICS AND MOOD DISORDERSWatch Now!
  •  
  • gina-ross.jpg?08b5b8
    GINA ROSS   PTSD, TRAUMA, HEALING AT THE PERSONAL AND SOCIETAL LEVELWatch Now!
  •  
  • david-perlmutter.jpg?08b5b8

DAVID PERLMUTTER, MD   MICROBIOME: A NEW FRONTIER IN MENTAL HEALTHWatch Now!
  •  
  • ross-mckenzie.jpg?08b5b8
    ROSS MCKENZIE   JOURNEY BEYOND MEDSWatch Now!
  • shunyamurti.jpg?08b5b8
    SHUNYAMURTI   HEALING POWER OF MEDITATION

I've opted to buy the series for $47 so I can listen when it suits me better (and no , I'm not getting paid to publicize this).

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought Ross McKenzie's session on his getting off Lithium, after being wrongly diagnosed as manic, was very inspirational. He has certainly come out on the other side.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Fresh......for all you do.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

It takes a lot of courage to speak out . The "repercussions " can be intense. She is being brave , as she turns against  the "mainstream" popular opinion.  As you say Fresh, "Hats off to her ".  Thank goodness, for some rare "hero's & heroine's ".  Maybe , eventually the word will get "out there".  We can live in  hope, that in the future there won't be the suffering, we have gone through.  Good on you , "Kelly Brogan. "

Yeah for sure just listened to this and whittakers for the 3 maybe 4th time...and yeah she is a hero-ess alright.

What a sweet sound when i heard her say she refuses to prescribe antidepressants even when patients beg her. Thats even better than Healy.

Also it doesnt seem to have done her any harm in fact quite the contrary ...recall she said, her practice is closed now because she has a years waiting list of patients  whereas she has many colleagues who are struggling to survive and find patients. Unlike her psychiatrist friends who no doubt uphold the staus quo for her being brave is paying off.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't want Fresh's thread to be all about the Mental Wellness Summit, but...

Watching/listening to Gwen Olsen -- pharma rep -- so far very good interview.  She's become an activist and has good advice.

18 minutes in she mentions Shamanic awakening parallels.  Very interesting. "Such prolific drugging of our population that everyone knows someone who is dealing with this problem."

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Ha , no worries Andy.  Keep the summaries coming please , more chance members will see it and become interested to check  the

Mental Wellness Summit out.

Free online seminar 10 - 17 August   http://mentalwellnesssummit.com/vhiusa/

Today is Day 3:  Journey From Medication To Wellness

DAY 3: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12

• gwen-olsen.jpg?08b5b8
    GWEN OLSEN   CONFESSIONS OF AN RX DRUG PUSHER Watch Now!
  •  
  • hyla-cass.jpg?08b5b8

HYLA CASS, MD   ADDICTION, NUTRITION AND NATURAL MEDICATION DETOX Watch Now!
  •  
  • alessandra-rian.gif?08b5b8
    ALESANDRA RAIN   DRUG INTERACTIONS AND CONTRADICTIONS Watch Now!
  •  
  • daniel-amen.jpg?08b5b8
    DANIEL AMEN, MD   INNOVATIVE PSYCHIATRY, THE AMEN CLINIC APPROACh
    •  
  • jesse-hanson.jpg?08b5b8
    JESSE HANSON  TOOLKIT FOR HEALING TRAUMA
  •  

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Just listened to Alesandra Rain's talk on drug interactions. Interesting nothing new to us.

But check this out that woman was in a bad car accident and as a result was taking 1000 pills a month...including venlafaxine, clonaxapam, ambien, etc etc ...for 10 years!!

With declining health (no surprises there) she told her p-doc that she felt bad every single day and she wasnt well but he just wanted to change the cocktail.

My understanding from the vid is she cold turkeyed everything with hospital supervision (dont do this at home). 

And she is alive to talk about it oh my goodness.

She is an inspiration for all of us that healing happens.

She has now started her own group called pointofreturn.com

Recovering paxil addict

Wasn't going to do any more listening but listened to Gwen Olsen. An ex-drug pusher rep.

She spoke very well. I can see why the drug companies head hunted her to be a drug rep.

Excellent talk. Actually this is well worth listening too.

She says "There's such prolific druggery of the population with psychiatric drugs for non-psychiatric conditions."

Everyone knows someone in this situation.

Always fun to listen to the choir master.

Heres a good one she says regarding the healing process, 'Transform your mental agony into your spiritual goal"

Interestingly all three speakers have said we all need to take responsibility for our lives , /its buyer must beware regardless of peoples qualifications.

Do your own due diligence.

"In the age of information ignorance is a choice"

"When you have an ego running a healing business that is not a good thing"

Recovering paxil addict

Gwen Olsen says 70 % of americans on antidepressants dont even have depression....

Later,   now 30,000,000 times 0.7 equals 21,000,000.

Gee, does that sound like a lot of people to you??

I wonder if D Trump could  do anything about this mess.

Mckenzie  alludes to the fact that when the smoking adverts were taken off the tv smoking numbers went down. Surprise surprise. (not).

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

The numbers are astonishing.  See http://theconversation.com/are-antidepressants-over-prescribed-in-australia-11788

"Situation in Australia

recent report on prescribing patterns of antidepressants and other psychotropic medications (drugs for mental illnesses) has aroused similar controversy in the local media. The study’s authors reported a 58.2% increase in the dispensing of psychotropic drugs over the period from 2000 to 2011, including a 95.3% increase in antidepressants"

Nz , is 30 mill. the number of people in America , or the number of Americans on ad's?

Lol@ Trump . . . he can do anything he damn well pleases , and get away with it  :) .

Did I ever tell you I spent a few months in sunny Whangarei , on the way to Tongatapu?   

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

The numbers are astonishing.  See http://theconversation.com/are-antidepressants-over-prescribed-in-australia-11788

"Situation in Australia

recent report on prescribing patterns of antidepressants and other psychotropic medications (drugs for mental illnesses) has aroused similar controversy in the local media. The study’s authors reported a 58.2% increase in the dispensing of psychotropic drugs over the period from 2000 to 2011, including a 95.3% increase in antidepressants"

Nz , is 30 mill. the number of people in America , or the number of Americans on ad's?

Lol@ Trump . . . he can do anything he damn well pleases , and get away with it  :) .

Did I ever tell you I spent a few months in sunny Whangarei , on the way to Tongatapu?   

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/30-million-americans-on-antidepressants-and-21-other-facts-about-americas-endless-pharmaceutical-nightmare

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

OMG . . . 30 million Americans on antidepressants !!    Now that really IS depressing  :angry: .

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thats right the american populaton i believe is about 300 million and 30 million taking ads is the figure i saw somewhere ...cant reference it but i guess i could get try to find it.

But that is about right cos about 10%  in the west are on this stuff now eg 400,000 in NZ and our poptn is 4 million.

First time i ever heard of someone go to Tongatapu via Whangarei...sure ya didnt get lost !!?

later and still within editing time window...

Wow i just checked out Skylers link and whata know ..i was spot on!! lol

later as i read the whole article

...oh my Skyler that is one scary article....im gonna have to add it to my intro for future access. ...yep i put my hand up for being one of the people tricked into becoming  an  addict

Recovering paxil addict

Just relistened to Whittaker

11.20 "How did we end up with 20% of americans taking a psychiatric drug on a daily basis"

gee thats.... 60 million people!!  gulp! oh boy.

Whittaker  refers at one stage to an ADHD study which shows worse long term outcomes at 3 and 6 yrs for kids on these drugs 7min 36 secs he talks so fast that i cant hear the name of the study ...if anyone can hear the name of it i wouldnt mind having it. These people are talking so fast its difficult to keep hear at times.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Whittaker  refers at one stage to an ADHD study which shows worse long term outcomes at 3 and 6 yrs for kids on these drugs 7min 36 secs he talks so fast that i cant hear the name of the study ...if anyone can hear the name of it i wouldnt mind having it. These people are talking so fast its difficult to keep hear at times.

NZ,

Pretty sure that was the NIMH study known as the Multisite Multimodal Treatment Study.

There are a few summaries of his key research that is the basis of much of "Anatomy of an Epidemic" if you Google some key terms.

Andy

Thanks Andy

I'll look there.

34.04 Whittaker " I  know of no data, none, that shows that medicating children leads to better long term outcomes as adults "

Recovering paxil addict