SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ freespirit: Mirtazapine withdrawal

freespirit

This is a really positive update. I'm so pleased for you. Real progress is being made.

I too often have the problem of locating words in conversation, but have also noticed increased insight, compassion, humour and moments of genuine happiness.

I wish you continued progress and a peaceful week full of opportunities.

Tilly x

Thanks Tilly. Wishing the same for you.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

I've been thinking a lot recently about the use of alternative practitioners. My back pain has definitely been much worse through wd, especially over the past 6 months. I would of course, not see my doctor, as I don't even want to attempt drugs for pain. Plus, even when I was taking the occasional tylenol, it seemed to do nothing at all to improve things.

I got hit with a pretty bad wave about 4 months after I jumped off. I'd been taking a qi gong class with a local teacher. I thought since I liked her and the practice, I'd see her for a private session. The session itself was fine and I've always responded pretty well to energy work. I had a really amazing window the following day, which was quickly replaced the next day by a horrendous wave. I could potentially think that was just part of the healing process and accept it..or I could think that the energy work was too much.

The main problem for me was that the practitioner then decided that I should stop every bit of qi gong that had helped me get to where I was and replace it with her recommendations, stop most of my exercise, and change my diet. She had even done some research on wd and also histamine intolerance. She couldn't get that everything I was doing had been carefully researched by trial and error, and that I was responding to what I needed moment to moment. How was changing everything going to be good for an already destabilized nervous system? More importantly, why should I trust someone else over my own experience?

I sometimes entertain the idea of seeing a gentle chiropractor recommended by a couple of friends who have more sensitive nervous systems or possibly someone who does acupuncture. For me, the problem has so often come down to the practitioner and not the method of healing. I've always had a more sensitive nervous system or perhaps because of so much trauma, it might be more accurate to say that I've had a destabilized nervous system. That's been more heightened by both grief and wd. While it might potentially help to see someone, it could also most definitely make things a lot worse. Is risking further destabilization worth it? Or am I better off just doing all I can and living with this level of physical pain?

One of the reasons I love qi gong as much as I do is that it allows me for the most part, to be my own healer. I don't have to wait for an appointment, pay someone else, or wonder if I'm going to be worse off after a treatment. I'm slowly learning to sense what is happening energetically and work with what is arising. But I do have moments where I wish I could make more headway with the back pain....but maybe wishing for someone else to bring about healing is part of that tendency to want to avoid suffering.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Hi freespirit,

this is a really important point you bring up about alternative practitioners and I have been thinking about this too. I was working with a chiropractor who gave me a whole lot of adjustments within a short space of time. although it was very helpful, i ended up departing from her protocol and deciding it was time for me to slow the adjustments down even though she would have continued them at the same pace. for me, wd causes these intermittent cramping episodes of my muscles/joints/nerves that are very painful. i feel that my nervous system is so sensitive in wd that I need to wait between adjustments for all the little ping pong balls to return to wherever they came from. she is good at what she does but she has not worked with a nervous system that is wd ing from psych meds so she has no idea what she is dealing with.  particularly with neck adjustments and the impact on our brain stem from the meds.

only we who are doing it have any idea what we are dealing with, and our perceptions are still altered by the medications

as for avoiding suffering, there is a fine line between not avoiding suffering and wallowing in it. frequently i can't tell the difference. i think it is a human instinct to seek out solutions for pain.

i also just yesterday accepted the fact that ballet class is too strenuous for me and I need to shift back to a therapeutic yoga practice for awhile. this has happened before, it will probably happen again. as soon as i accepted that my hip cramp eased up quite a bit. that mind/body connection is endless.

rubytuesday

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit

I think it's tricky managing the ego of the expert - alternative or mainstream - from their perspective their role and legitimacy is based on their knowledge and expertise. They are taking payment from you to access that. Many of them can't cope with the client as expert in their own lives. And the old adage is relevant here- if all you've got is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Join those two things up, everything looks like a nail and I'm an expert hammer user!

No wonder we get bruised in that. I tend to be quite assertive in this. I tell them I have a hypersensitive system due to long term withdrawal, that I need to go slow, what they have to offer needs to work with what I'm doing and please speak now if that's a problem for them.

I have had a number of one off appointments and some very good working relationships

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks RT and Dalsaan. You've both provided some good food for thought..

While I'm highly suspicious of western medicine, I tend to be too trusting when it comes to alternative practitioners. I mistakenly think they are somehow like me, and that they are open to the client being the expert on their own bodies. I've been burned time and again, because I haven't yet mastered looking after myself in the ways that I need to. I think sometimes that has come from a sense of desperation, when I've been in more physical and/or emotional pain.

Often, it isn't the work itself that's problematic for me (although that has happened too). Having a trauma history makes me more vulnerable to the interpersonal issues that happen. For example, the last couple of therapists I had made some pretty major boundary violations..one disclosed personal information without my permission for example. While I stood up for myself and reported him to the licensing board, as well as telling him off...well, I was left feeling once again violated..which re-triggered the trauma. With one therapist, I ended up suicidal by the end of the week of the event. It makes me not want to trust anyone in that kind of position again. But when everything I've tried hasn't relieved the pain, I start thinking about it again..

However, it turns out to be a bit of a moot point now. I just came home from the vet, because one of my cats hasn't been quite herself. It turns out she has some dental issues and needs to have 4 teeth taken out. She is only 4, so the vet was extremely surprised to see the extent of her problems. This has all developed since her last yearly check-up. So next week, she'll have dental surgery..I came home and cried of course, knowing she's probably been in a lot of pain..and now waiting for the blood work results, to make sure that everything is okay for her to have anesthesia. All of this is a big trigger for me too. My cats are the most important beings in my life....I feel like I wouldn't have survived this past 3 years without them. Never thought I'd be dealing with big health issues with them this early on. I'll do some Reiki with her and hope it helps both of us....

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

i also just yesterday accepted the fact that ballet class is too strenuous for me and I need to shift back to a therapeutic yoga practice for awhile. this has happened before, it will probably happen again. as soon as i accepted that my hip cramp eased up quite a bit. that mind/body connection is endless.

I'm glad to hear there was some physical relief in the process of letting go. I think we so often tend to forget or minimize the mind/body connection in this culture. Western medicine sometimes pays lip service to it, but not much more than that.

Also, it's good you listened to yourself and slowed things down with the chiro. I haven't had experience with one for decades, but didn't like the idea of going so often for a long period of time..even at that stage of my life. I'm not looking for someone to "fix" me, but to help things along a little..and someone who would accept and respect the practices I do for myself. Sounds simple, but it isn't.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Hi Freespirit

I think it's tricky managing the ego of the expert - alternative or mainstream - from their perspective their role and legitimacy is based on their knowledge and expertise. They are taking payment from you to access that. Many of them can't cope with the client as expert in their own lives. And the old adage is relevant here- if all you've got is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Join those two things up, everything looks like a nail and I'm an expert hammer user!

No wonder we get bruised in that. I tend to be quite assertive in this. I tell them I have a hypersensitive system due to long term withdrawal, that I need to go slow, what they have to offer needs to work with what I'm doing and please speak now if that's a problem for them.

I have had a number of one off appointments and some very good working relationships

Dalsaan

I think you've really struck on a few important things here. One is the issue around practitioners being "expert hammer users". And I might add to that,  many seem to think that hitting things as hard as possible with the hammer is the way to go...

I think that's great you've been able to be so assertive with people you work with. I'd like to learn that a little better.

I realize my post yesterday might not have made sense...but I think the money I might have spent on seeing some kind of practitioner is going to pay for my little kitty's dental work..which has to be done. I don't in any way want to be seen as complaining about that. These cats have brought more to my life (and to my wife's, before she died) than I could ever repay. I literally feel they saved my life and have helped so much through grief and WD.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see you as complaining about your cats dental work. Many of us share the attachment you have and the sense of what they bring to you life. We have a thread in the off topic section where we share photos/stories of our fur babies.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit

Dalsaan

I think you've really struck on a few important things here. One is the issue around practitioners being "expert hammer users". And I might add to that,  many seem to think that hitting things as hard as possible with the hammer is the way to go...

I think that's great you've been able to be so assertive with people you work with. I'd like to learn that a little better.

D.

You have a strong sense of the value of listening to your body. You privilege that in your own sense making. Privilege it with others as well. In terms of being assertive you have nothing to lose. If they can't cope with you being in the drivers seat they are likely to do more harm than good and you are better off without them. I think being assertive is a win win for you. You either get to work well with people or you get to identify the ones you don't want a bar of

D

I have a trauma history too and I applaud you for articulating it so well--the boundary issues

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

hi FreeSpirit. Stopping by to check up on you. I feel the same way about my dog. Unconditional love. It helps, everyday.

Sending you positive vibes today:)

September 2013. Diagnosed depression/anxiety. Start Prozac 10mg and slowly increase to 40mg.

October 2013. Lorazepam 0.5mg prescribed for anxiety after complaining about nervous energy

November 2013. prescribed a sleeping pill (name?) for insomnia. took once. ineffective.

January to June 2014. psychiatrist agrees to lower dose to 15 mg due to side effects.

August 2014 first attempt to quit cold turkey Lasted August 1, 2014 until October 1, 2014

November 2014 second attempt to quit cold turkey lasted Novemember 4, 2014 until Jan 13, 2015

January 2015 3rd attempt to quit cold turkey lasted feb 3, 2015 until feb 23, 2015

March 5, 2015 4th attempt to quit cold turkey.

Hello Freespirit!

Just read through your thread and I want you to know that you are an inspiration to me and a beacon of hope.

I am sorry you have had to go through the pain of your journey.  You have managed to take what you have learned from within that pain to help others, and I think that's what we're all really here for anyway.  I am so glad you are able to reach out with such honest and heart-felt posts, and I appreciate you replying to me!

Please keep posting - and reach out if you need us.

Trish

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

I didn't see you as complaining about your cats dental work. Many of us share the attachment you have and the sense of what they bring to you life. We have a thread in the off topic section where we share photos/stories of our fur babies.

Thanks. I looked at that thread awhile back and will check again. As I remember, it was mostly posts about dogs..maybe we need some cat lovers to post there too.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

You have a strong sense of the value of listening to your body. You privilege that in your own sense making. Privilege it with others as well. In terms of being assertive you have nothing to lose. If they can't cope with you being in the drivers seat they are likely to do more harm than good and you are better off without them. I think being assertive is a win win for you. You either get to work well with people or you get to identify the ones you don't want a bar of

D

Very well said and so true. I need to think more about how I'll first talk to someone that I'm considering seeing...back to considering the chiro...the back pain isn't terrible, but just nagging and seems to be almost always there again.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Hello Freespirit!

Just read through your thread and I want you to know that you are an inspiration to me and a beacon of hope.

I am sorry you have had to go through the pain of your journey.  You have managed to take what you have learned from within that pain to help others, and I think that's what we're all really here for anyway.  I am so glad you are able to reach out with such honest and heart-felt posts, and I appreciate you replying to me!

Please keep posting - and reach out if you need us.

Trish

Thanks. I'm glad you found something helpful on the thread. I imagine most of us hope that something we've been through is of use to others..one way of making meaning from the suffering.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Update

Though I'm sleeping soundly and only waking once with the cats, I'm seriously dragging through the days. It takes me eons to get myself going in the morning, which is very unlike me. I almost feel like I did when on the Remeron. Jobs that I'd normally tackle first thing, it's sometimes taking me until 3 or 4 in the afternoon to start. Even energizing qi gong seems to do nothing to get me going. I guess it's a matter of being patient with this too.

I've been wondering if my diet is a bit too low in histamine. Very slowly have tested out a few things that are higher..and am suffering a bit from digestive issues again. It's hard to know, as with everything, whether to back off or stay the same. I suspect my body will have to go through some adjustment to any changes in diet.

I rode my exercise bike for a half hour after dinner last night. While riding, my heart rate went up suddenly to the 190's. I wasn't riding hard enough to produce that and it just as suddenly went back down. This is something I went through after my car accident and brain injury. All tests to my heart showed no problem at all. I expect it has something to do with a disregulated nervous system. Anyway, after I finished riding, I felt such a deep calm and sense of well-being..similar to what generally happens through qi gong. I had a lovely period of time of feeling deeply well...followed by my usual evening sleepiness.

It's raining today and for once, I'm relieved. Every day that it's nice, I think I need to work in the yard...and it's good having a little break. Yesterday, I did more weeding and also planted up some herbs and veggies in containers. This seems like an easier option than tending an actual garden--less weeding and gentler for my overworked back.

My mood seems to be relatively steady these days. I'm surprised that the vet visit didn't result in more worry than it has. Normally, things like this can really set me off.

Much as I don't feel like it, I think I'll venture over to the pool for a swim. I missed both of my times last week, due to putting in fence posts. Sometimes the jacuzzi helps ease my back pain, at least for awhile. Time to get out of my chair and do some activity.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I have chronic low back pain too. Have you heard of a TENS Unit? (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation). It's electrotherapy like the kind that you might get thru a chiropractor or physical therapist, but it's small, portable, and cheap. It works amazingly well for back pain.  I researched them a while back, while exploring cranial electrotherapy.

The best unit I found is this one:

http://www.tensunits.com/product/DI8195.html It has 4 different types of currents. The Tens current is for pain, the EMS current is for muscle stimulation, and Interferential is for inflammation.  In the US, the manual doesn't have a how to guide, only a manual. But I've found a manual and other how to guides from other countries that are applicable. If you get the unit, I could email a guide to you.  

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Thanks for this Lilu. I'll definitely check it out. My only experiences with TENS was at the physio post car accident. They were insistent on turning it higher than I was comfortable with..and ended up in worse pain. However, having my own would mean doing it at a level that suited me. Have you had increased back pain through wd? How has the TENS helped specifically?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

hi FreeSpirit. Stopping by to check up on you. I feel the same way about my dog. Unconditional love. It helps, everyday.

Sending you positive vibes today:)

Thanks Dane....so glad you have that bond with your dog...I find there is nothing else like that unconditional love...much less complicated than between humans.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I have a trauma history too and I applaud you for articulating it so well--the boundary issues

Having trauma complicates things in a very big way..sorry you've experienced this too. I have felt a lot of shame around my issues with therapists and am only just beginning to see things in a clearer way. It pushes me more to find ways to be my own healer..but also makes confusing if/when I can ask for help around some aspects. However, I can confidently say that the only help I'll seek is in a physical way. I am forever over and done with any psychological therapy...which for the most part, made things worse for me, not better.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I attend a gentle yoga class once a week and that has done wonders for my lower back.  The worst thing that I do for my back is sit too long at my laptop; I need to break that habit.  My TENS unit wasn't really all that helpful to me and I think the electricity actually kind of jazzed up my overly sensitive nervous system.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

I appreciate your experience and point of view Misstrish. Just proves how individual we are and what might help or hinder. Right now, having my nervous system ramped a little seems like not a bad thing..however, that was one of my concerns, particularly with having ptsd history.

I tried yoga a few times in the past..and I don't think I'm a yoga girl. Also, classes are mostly out for me. I tend not be able to really listen to my body as well when distracted by people, expectations, etc. Better off doing things at home.

Things help temporarily--like qi gong stretching, magnesium baths, or heating pad. But as soon as I spend a few minutes standing or walking, the pain ramps up. I don't spend a lot of time sitting, at least not without a lot of breaks. The pain is really interfering with my life right now and seems to be getting worse again. I have some moments of motivation and a bit of energy for things I'd like to do...but when it pain, it's hard to do them. Had to stop half way through mowing the lawn this morning. I should be more grateful that there are breaks...compared to when I had shoulder pain that never stopped..or when the back pain was so bad I could only walk or stand for 10 minutes at a time. Just getting tired of it.

I'm not convinced a chiropractor can even help..I think it's more inflammatory than structural..and I've done everything I can find to reduce inflammation. When I was able to take krill oil, it helped...but don't dare try again yet. It seems to be a major trigger for histamine flare up for me. Have tried other oils--flax, hemp, coconut--but these don't seem to address the pain.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Having trauma complicates things in a very big way..sorry you've experienced this too. I have felt a lot of shame around my issues with therapists and am only just beginning to see things in a clearer way. It pushes me more to find ways to be my own healer..but also makes confusing if/when I can ask for help around some aspects. However, I can confidently say that the only help I'll seek is in a physical way. I am forever over and done with any psychological therapy...which for the most part, made things worse for me, not better.

boy I sure hear that! I would be happy to never talk to another psychotherapist, altho at this point I am doing so purely as a legal maneuver for my disability case. pretty confusing, since my main issue is psych meds but I can't really get into that since my therapist is in the same free clinic where i still get my meds.

what a fiasco. astonishing.

That puts you in a difficult position rt. Around things like disability, you do what you have to do. I hope it gets you what you need.

I'm tempted to tell my 2 last bad situations with therapists..but will restrain myself. I used to be a therapist myself, until becoming disillusioned with the whole thing and realizing how bad it was for me to be dealing with trauma in clients. I consider myself a recovering therapist. At the moment, I lump therapy in the same category as doctors and most of western medicine. I know some people find help through it...but I have my doubts when it comes to having a traumatic history. I found a good deal of therapy to be re-traumatizing and made me even more focus on what was wrong...with little to no attempt to reframe events or help me see what was good in myself.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

That puts you in a difficult position rt. Around things like disability, you do what you have to do. I hope it gets you what you need.

I'm tempted to tell my 2 last bad situations with therapists..but will restrain myself. I used to be a therapist myself, until becoming disillusioned with the whole thing and realizing how bad it was for me to be dealing with trauma in clients. I consider myself a recovering therapist. At the moment, I lump therapy in the same category as doctors and most of western medicine. I know some people find help through it...but I have my doubts when it comes to having a traumatic history. I found a good deal of therapy to be re-traumatizing and made me even more focus on what was wrong...with little to no attempt to reframe events or help me see what was good in myself.

I would be curious to know about your experience with therapy. I've been going to a therapist for the 2 years. But have grown increasingly unhappy with it as my withdrawal has intensified over the last 8 months.  I wind up feeling more upset, agitated, anxious, and crying after every session.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

What is your experience with Magnesium. I've been trying different supplements lately. The last 2 nights I took magnesium and was awake after 3 or 4 hrs. Last night I took 400 mg and have had an upset stomach ever since.  I also have constant heart racing.

And this insomnia of 5 months is just killing me. I cry so much because of it. People tell me to get up and do something else when I can't sleep at night, but I just cant seem to get myself to do it. I get up so many times, each time going back to bed to "try" and fall asleep.  I just don't know how people can get up and watch tv, or clean, or whatnot. I feel so beaten down by this. 

Thanks for this Lilu. I'll definitely check it out. My only experiences with TENS was at the physio post car accident. They were insistent on turning it higher than I was comfortable with..and ended up in worse pain. However, having my own would mean doing it at a level that suited me. Have you had increased back pain through wd? How has the TENS helped specifically?

I'be had chronic back pain since my 20s. I'm not sure if the pain has gotten worse due to withdrawal. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have a low pain tolerance threshold.

The tens unit, or specifically the tens current, scrambles the pain signals from nerves. So that you no longer feel the sensation of pain. After a 20 min session, I could be pain-free for 2 hrs or days. I don't use it that often, as I don't have back pain every day.  

I found that the tens is not affective on referred pain, just on direct pain. So it didn't work on when my back pain is caused by menstrual cramps.

The tens current doesn't treat anything, just temporarily relieves pain. Interferential is the current for inflammation. In my experience it wasnt as affective at relieving pain, but it's affects are supposedly cumulative.

This definitely would put the control back into your hands as far as pain control is concerned.  You would just have to learn how to use the unit and learn a little about electrotherapy, which is readily available on the web.

After using a tens unit on my back, the area treated feels a little numb or dulled to the touch.  I did notice a nice energizing affect at the base of the spine, but only a few times.

What is your experience with Magnesium. I've been trying different supplements lately. The last 2 nights I took magnesium and was awake after 3 or 4 hrs. Last night I took 400 mg and have had an upset stomach ever since.  I also have constant heart racing.

And this insomnia of 5 months is just killing me. I cry so much because of it. People tell me to get up and do something else when I can't sleep at night, but I just cant seem to get myself to do it. I get up so many times, each time going back to bed to "try" and fall asleep.  I just don't know how people can get up and watch tv, or clean, or whatnot. I feel so beaten down by this. 

I have never been able to tolerate mag supplements, even before wd. Most of these things have a serious impact on my gut, as well as raising blood sugar..I'm largely unwilling to risk trying things these days. I think each person needs to find the "medicine" that works for them.

I do epsom salts baths, especially when pain is worse. I also use the Ancient Minerals mag. lotion before bed every night. The baths I found, temporarily invigorate me, and then relax later. But not the way taking supplements can rev me up. For me, this is a safer and more manageable option. I add some lavender oil to the baths too..in small amounts, can help relaxation for some people.

In times of bad sleep over the years, I've gone through periods of keeping things in or next to the bed. Books that help, my ipod with many different types of meditation, imagery, etc...and any items that are comforting. I used to have a tv in my bedroom and often if I watched there, I could go back to sleep (I know, most people think that's a bad idea...but I will do whatever works).

There's a thread somewhere on mandalas. During a rough patch many years ago, I kept all my art supplies out on the kitchen table. I'd sometimes get up during the night and do a mandala or paint...then, go back to bed.

I still believe that how we spend the day and evening can have a large influence on sleep. It's not the whole story, but part of it. Also, I know it's hard (sometimes impossible) not to stress about not sleeping. I stopped doing the whole "good sleep hygiene" thing because it was only serving to make me more anxious about sleeping or not sleeping. Now, I trust myself to do what I need and right now, that's actually doing things that are mildly stimulating in the evening. Once in awhile, I overshoot the mark and end up not sleeping as well..all grist for the mill--something to learn from. 

If you really listen to your own body, what's it trying to tell you? I think it's tough when in wd, because there's a lot of competing messages going on. But, without thinking, but more feeling into your body, what's Lilu's medicine?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I would be curious to know about your experience with therapy. I've been going to a therapist for the 2 years. But have grown increasingly unhappy with it as my withdrawal has intensified over the last 8 months.  I wind up feeling more upset, agitated, anxious, and crying after every session.

I haven't done any therapy since I started wd. And except around the time of my wife's illness and death, had not done for some time. As I mentioned above, most of my difficulties have been interpersonal ones with the therapists. But I came to feel that all the emphasis on what's wrong was not helpful. Equally unhelpful were assholes who shamed me or tried to make me "look on the bright side" when I was in the depths of despair. In my experience, a lot of therapist are as troubled or more so than their clients, and are not doing ongoing work on themselves. But, that's my experience and not everyone's.

During wd, I think it becomes more challenging in some respects, to know what is helpful and what isn't. When I was tapering, I ended a couple of friendships, and one with a career counselor. While I can look back and think it was the right thing, the way I went about it wasn't so great.

Sometimes, therapy does stir things up and you go away with more emotion. Only you can know if that's a good thing or not. Over the years, I often took breaks..sometimes long ones..where I needed to just be with things and see how I was on my own. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have kept trying in the ways I did. I kept believing there was something wrong with me that therapy largely wasn't benefiting me...and therapists more or less confirmed that. Now, I just see it wasn't a good path for me. I'm much better off with healing more in my own hands.

Also, I'd have to say that talking about things wasn't an effective way to deal with difficulties for me. When my wife died, people kept telling me to find a grief group or see a counselor. I found it infinitely more helpful having massages or Reiki treatments, and working with the naturopath...than it was talking about what I was feeling. Things can move in the body, without having to hash and rehash old wounds. But again, each person needs to find what works for them. I've only had positive experience with 2 counselors that I saw over the years..and that was 2 out of many.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Hi freespirit,

I haven't posted much this week, but wanted to stop by to send you love & healing.

I hope that all is well in your world.

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

I'm tempted to tell my 2 last bad situations with therapists..but will restrain myself. I used to be a therapist myself, until becoming disillusioned with the whole thing and realizing how bad it was for me to be dealing with trauma in clients. I consider myself a recovering therapist. At the moment, I lump therapy in the same category as doctor

I just started writing my own blog/book, here is a short excerpt; I am calling it Off Her Meds. there is a lot more to say on this subject, but all in due time (Wicked Witch of the West cackle)

Speaking of diagnosis, this might be a good time to briefly review what I did after I finished my M.A. in Psychology at the age of 26. This was one year before Jeffrey Masson examined Freud's archives and asked the question which launched the 2nd ideological war of the century within psychology. The question was: Did little (girls, mostly) really fantasize about sexual union with their parents, or were, possibly, Freud's original group of patients actually molested as young children? And was there any validity to “recovered” memories or not?

My reasons for steering clear of a career in Psychology in 1984 were as follows:

1. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual

Frankly, I had a problem with DSMIII. I noted that the diagnostic categories were purely descriptive, and not based in any objective evidence. There were no scientific tests that could determine whether or not one had any particular disorder. At the same time I had studied “research design” and learned that folks could design a study to prove anything they wanted to, and frequently did. It was all the rage at this time to be “borderline” and everyone seemed to know someone who was. As Colin Ross has pointed out, it was a badge of honor to have a “borderline” in your practice who continually harassed you, but really, you liked it, because they were so sexy...(this was before Britney Spears was born.) In fact, the description of a borderline fit most of my friends and half of my relatives.

And I found this – well – farfetched.

2. class-ism

I do live in the U.S.A. – unlike Colin Ross at the time – in fact, I lived in the Mission of San Francisco – a hub of political activism-- then as now – and the fact that one entire group of society were somehow deemed worthy of receiving monetary payment from one other whole group of society who were – let's call a spade a spade – defective – struck me as suspect. In fact, the whole system seemed to depend on the existence of what amounted to a sub-human class of people. It didn't sit easy with me, even before I raised a kid on welfare.

3. practical problems

Furthermore, that very sub-human class of society were the least equipped to dole out $100 a week for “psychotherapy”. And the

fact was: everyone I knew personally who got their MFCC had either

1) a spouse who supported them 2) parents who supported them 3) a former career that had netted them a profit. I had none of the above.

Hi freespirit,

I haven't posted much this week, but wanted to stop by to send you love & healing.

I hope that all is well in your world.

Tilly x

Thanks for stopping by Tilly. I was just thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. I'm doing okay this week. Hoping you're finding ways to be with whatever is arising for you.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I just started writing my own blog/book, here is a short excerpt; I am calling it Off Her Meds. there is a lot more to say on this subject, but all in due time (Wicked Witch of the West cackle)

I love what you've written..and yes, agree with all of it. I have never been a person who liked labels. I worked as a hypnotherapist in private practice..so not traditionally trained. I did not use the DSM. I hated the whole borderline diagnosis, which basically fit anyone who had trauma or unresolved grief in their history...I worked with several clients who had that stupid diagnosis, who had been treated as though they'd had leprosy by therapists..and had been severely damaged by it. I worked on a sliding scale, doing my best to accommodate people who couldn't otherwise afford help.

The rest of my career was at a couple of different hospices...who did not use labels. I found it much more humane, where they saw grief as a life-long process..not something you "get over". Also, clients did not pay for services there...so there was not the separation of privileged or not. Clients seemed to be helped by it...

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

. I hated the whole borderline diagnosis, which basically fit anyone who had trauma or unresolved grief in their history...I worked with several clients who had that stupid diagnosis, who had been treated as though they'd had leprosy by therapists..and had been severely damaged by it. I 

Colin Ross goes on at some length in a book called The Great Psychiatry Scam about the whole borderline fad of the 80s, and he de-constructs it. he even has a long list of qualities attributed to "borderline" and another, from the middle ages, of qualities attributed to witches, and the lists are almost identical.

Colin Ross goes on at some length in a book called The Great Psychiatry Scam about the whole borderline fad of the 80s, and he de-constructs it. he even has a long list of qualities attributed to "borderline" and another, from the middle ages, of qualities attributed to witches, and the lists are almost identical.

That's pretty amazing. Sounds interesting.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I'be had chronic back pain since my 20s. I'm not sure if the pain has gotten worse due to withdrawal. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have a low pain tolerance threshold.

The tens unit, or specifically the tens current, scrambles the pain signals from nerves. So that you no longer feel the sensation of pain. After a 20 min session, I could be pain-free for 2 hrs or days. I don't use it that often, as I don't have back pain every day.  

I found that the tens is not affective on referred pain, just on direct pain. So it didn't work on when my back pain is caused by menstrual cramps.

The tens current doesn't treat anything, just temporarily relieves pain. Interferential is the current for inflammation. In my experience it wasnt as affective at relieving pain, but it's affects are supposedly cumulative.

This definitely would put the control back into your hands as far as pain control is concerned.  You would just have to learn how to use the unit and learn a little about electrotherapy, which is readily available on the web.

After using a tens unit on my back, the area treated feels a little numb or dulled to the touch.  I did notice a nice energizing affect at the base of the spine, but only a few times.

Great that you've been able to find some relief through tens. Thanks for sharing your work with it.

I have a different type of back pain in wd, unlike other types I've experienced...and also, much more intense than it has been in a long time. One thing is I'm not sure I'd be able to place the pads on the places in my back that hurt..as it's an area that's hard for me to reach. My cats are of no help when it comes to things like this.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver