SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

antidepressantsNoMore: Pristiq cold turkey 2.6 years later

antidepressantsNoMore

• Administrator

If 40mg Prozac makes you anxious, it's too high a dose for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antidepressantsNoMore

• Altostrata

• oskcajga

• InvisibleUnless

Top Posters In This Topic

If 40mg Prozac makes you anxious, it's too high a dose for you.

It's going on three weeks. The side-effects are starting to decrease.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

I'm so sorry that you are having to cope with this.  I know that it can be very distressing.

Have you ever looked into brain plasticity recovery?  I know there are several books on retraining the brain itself and these techniques seem to work very well on OCD.   I know that  UCLA in Westwood has an extensive department that is researching treating OCD through reprogramming.   Why did you stop the drugs before?  I would certainly look into this approach before reintroducing toxic chemicals to the brain. 

I hope that you can find a non-drug way to reclaim your life.

I hope so too but as of now the Prozac is helping.

I stopped the saphris everyone. The doctor gave me 60 .5 klonopins because the anxiety and insomnia from saphris w/d is hell. I don't even want to know what it feels like to be on that drug and stop its use after a few years. I really think it would have been worse than stopping SSRI'S.

Glad to hear you made it off Ok antidepresantsNoMore, I know exactly what you mean with the  Saphris withdrawals Im still battling them after eight months of use, it sucks big time. Hope things work out well for you.

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What did you start taking Prozac for in 2005? Did you have OCD then? Did it help back then?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

What did you start taking Prozac for in 2005? Did you have OCD then? Did it help back then?

OCD. Yeah, it helps OCD.

• Moderator Emeritus

Shouldn't this thread be taken off "Success Stories?"

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Shouldn't this thread be taken off "Success Stories?"

Why? I am successfully off prestiq. THE WD is over. I survived the WD.

• Administrator

AntidepressantsNoMore, I merged your Success Story posts with your Intro topic. It seems your journey off antidepressants continues.

Very good to hear your Pristiq withdrawal resolved. Please put your updates in this topic.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I hope so too but as of now the Prozac is helping.

Signature says your current dose is 40mg of prozac, is this correct?

I lowered it to 20 mg

• 2 years later...

Update: I am off all anti-depressants over a year. I take kratom (a red vein strain) for anxiety and depression daily. This herb has helped me so much. I get blood work done once a year. No issues.

The issue now is my anxiety. I have to try to interact with people more. I joined a gym, meet up groups, go to the therapy and run a small business. I am still looking for another job. I quit many due to anxiety. So before I pursue anything else besides my business ventures, I realize I have to learn how to deal with people better.

• ChessieCat changed the title to antidepressantsNoMore: Pristiq cold turkey 2.6 years later
5 hours ago, antidepressantsNoMore said:

Update: I am off all anti-depressants over a year. I take kratom (a red vein strain) for anxiety and depression daily. This herb has helped me so much. I get blood work done once a year. No issues.

The issue now is my anxiety. I have to try to interact with people more. I joined a gym, meet up groups, go to the therapy and run a small business. I am still looking for another job. I quit many due to anxiety. So before I pursue anything else besides my business ventures, I realize I have to learn how to deal with people better.

Did your withdrawal symptoms resolve?  Perhaps some form of therapy could help with the anxiety.

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

12 hours ago, Meeto said:

Did your withdrawal symptoms resolve?  Perhaps some form of therapy could help with the anxiety.

YES I have no W/d

Anxiety is from some life events which I have been dealing with. I am making way in life though. A good therapist, exercise and keeping busy is the way to go. W/D's from these drugs last a long time.

How much kratom do you take ?

How much had you started initially?

Time you take it?

How long wdl last for you ?

Please reply with all.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

Attention everyone. I am being told I am not allowed to mention kratom. Mods, is this true? This stuff helps me so much that is why I put it down. Again, I don't know if the mods accept it with all the fake/bad press it got even though where I live it is Legal.

24 minutes ago, antidepressantsNoMore said:

Attention everyone. I am being told I am not allowed to mention kratom. Mods, is this true? This stuff helps me so much that is why I put it down. Again, I don't know if the mods accept it with all the fake/bad press it got even though where I live it is Legal.

If it helps to live through this hell, then I accept it -

as being drug free and living pathetically is not doing any good. It has caused finanical suffering too as I stopped earning.

Even I have not even donated any single penny to this valuable site. I am this pathetic now.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda
4 hours ago, bhasski said:

If it helps to live through this hell, then I accept it -

as being drug free and living pathetically is not doing any good. It has caused finanical suffering too as I stopped earning.

Even I have not even donated any single penny to this valuable site. I am this pathetic now.

Just keep moving along. Try not to insult yourself. Hold your head up.

Edited by ChessieCat
Extracted response from quote

• 3 years later...

i am back after three years. back on medication rexulti/trintellix

so first off i want to start saying my cap locks are messed up so bare with me. i started a thread years ago about how i weened off prestiq and a few other antidepressants. i just turned 32 years old and in the last three years, i have overcome a lot psychologically, emotionally and spirituality. however, i realize i may need antidepressants for a while. i am on the newer ones known as trintellix and rexulti which is an add on to your antidepressants.

i tried to ween myself off the rexulti and went crazy for four days and total terror. i went back on the rexulti. i plan on staying on both these meds for a few years and slowly tampering off. ive been on trintellix for a year and rexulti for about a year. i am on 1 mg trintellix and now .5mg rexulti.

i hate to say it but i was never completely off everything. i was self-medicating with kratom for a few years and then lyrica. i have faced a lot of my issues with addiction but am finding it difficult to function as normal person without the use of substances. i have a small business am plan on going for a graduate degree but i still need to work on my mental health problems.

i also completed a 12 step program for addiction and did emdr and hypnosis for a lot of trauma. i also got into spiritual practices and learned a lot from it. i am doing better but i am finding it very difficult to be off everything and be without any medication. i no longer drink or smoke, cleaned up my diet but am still on medication.

i feel like this is something some of us must accept; that we may have chemically imbalances that require medication.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, antidepressantsNoMore said:

i started a thread years ago

Each member has only 1 Introduction topic.  I've merged your new one with your original one.  Please update here.  Do not create a new Introduction topic.  Thank you.

Please create your drug signature so that it includes your previous history and add the dates that you started taking Trintellix and Rexulti.  Here are the instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

6 hours ago, antidepressantsNoMore said:

i feel like this is something some of us must accept; that we may have chemically imbalances that require medication.

The chemical imbalance theory  was debunked over 20 years ago.  See:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF WEENING MYSELF OF TRINTELLIX AND REXULTI. REXULTI IS A PRETTY HEAVY MEDICATION. I didn't realize the implications of the medication on the body. It worked pretty good for 10 months for me, maybe almost a year but I am now stopping it.

I am able to stay off med's for a year or even 2 years tops but usually end up back on medication.

I AM now doing neuro-feedback which if anyone wants to look into, it is a good form of therapy. They attach wires to your head and monitor your brain waves; it is suppose to heal the brain systems or help connect them. I have five more months of it. Look into this if you have a chance.

I’ve been offered Neuro Feedback but haven’t started.

how have your experiences been.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

3 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I’ve been offered Neuro Feedback but haven’t started.

how have your experiences been.

good. usually i feel better for the entire day after a session. however, i am starting to see a difference that lasts even longer from prolonged practice. i have a good doctor and they are helping me quite a lot. i am 22 sessions into it.

Hmmm, maybe I will start this.

I think it’s expensive though.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, antidepressantsNoMore said:

good. usually i feel better for the entire day after a session. however, i am starting to see a difference that lasts even longer from prolonged practice. i have a good doctor and they are helping me quite a lot. i am 22 sessions into it.

How was your experience going off kratom?

Daily Fluoxetine and sparse benzo use from 2000-2001 - stop CT

Sparse benzo use 2005-2006

Started daily Paroxetine (10 mg) and Xanax (1 mg) in 2010

Quit Paroxetine CT in October 2018 while still on Xanax

Started to taper benzos after switching from Xanax to Valium in March 2019

Finished Valium taper in October 2020 (19 months taper in total)

Currently free from all psych drugs

Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (50-100 mg once or twice daily), CBD:TCH (1:1; 2-5 mg 3-4 times a day), L-Theanine (100 mg, only when feeling really anxious), Probiotics (Culturelle, daily), Methylfolate + Methyl B12 (Jarrow's)