SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopeNeeded Debilitating Withdrawals (Vision, Disequilibrium, Confusion, etc...)

HopeNeeded

Flowers and Blue - Thank you so much for your postsand kind words.

Flowers - I appreciate you acknowledging how difficult it is to even read or write on here... That being said, I hear your advice to push hard to do it anyways - and I am definitely trying. 

Blue - So sorry to hear you are in the same position. I truly feel your pain and discomfort and hope you have a window soon. I'm a recovering Anorexic and have gained 15 pounds sitting in bed eating and not being able to exercise... So I'm pretty disgusted by myself on that level too. Regardless, I will look for a picture to add. 

xo

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HopeNeeded

• Altostrata

• clearday

• apace41

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Jaclyn, did you do this?

Thanks, Alto, for taking the time. I'm not ignoring or discounting any advice - I am just trying to do what is best and not make anything worse. I will take your advice and try the 2.5mg Prozac again (cross tapering with Zoloft, as your recommended). 

Again, really appreciate it. I need some relief. I don't know how much left I have in me...

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, Alto. I have implemented that.

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• Administrator

How many days have you added Prozac? How are you feeling?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I began adding the Prozac back on July 4th... So 4 today. I am feeling horrible. Can't get out of bed.

• Administrator

Is this better, worse, or the same as before you added the Prozac?

Before I added the Prozac this time (or several weeks ago)? It is the same as before I added it this time and much worse than when I added it several weeks ago.

• Administrator

It sounds like the Prozac didn't change anything. I would stick with it as we discussed above.

I don't know what to do anymore... Ready to just die -- No plan to carry it out, but I'm out of hope and patience. Don't know how to renew it...

• Administrator

You will get through this, but you will have to believe in yourself and find your inner strength.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaclyn,

Sorry things are really rough for you right now. The only real thing that will help you heal is time. Magnesium and fish oil might help a touch -- Epsom salt baths as a delivery system for magnesium can be very helpful, but in the final analysis your CNS has to heal. As Alto has said, your CNS needs a break and changing meds weekly as your P-doc is doing is NOT the answer. Throwing meds against the wall in a Hail Mary effort is negligent. The keys for you right now are:

-- rest and be gentle on yourself (feeling bad about your body doesn't help!)

-- gentle exercise when you are able but get outside as much as you can

-- eat healthy, clean, high-quality, whole foods (no MSG or artificial sweeteners)

-- find your source off distraction (old movies, comedies, music, gardening, writing, whatever)

-- get in touch with your breathing to calm you down (yoga, Tai Chi, Qi Gong, mindfulness)

-- look into EFT (tapping)

-- if you feel, comfortable with it, swim (water has great healing qualities)

-- finally, and most importantly, look in the mirror and tell yourself that YOU and YOU ALONE is all you NEED to survive this -- having support and validation here or elsewhere is nice but not essential (if you go back through the thread you will find you have received more support than you could recognize in the moment)

This sucks. Big time. But many who have successfully tapered an SSRI or a benzo say in retrospect that they are much better people for having gone through it. Look for the silver linings even if they are hard to find.

You will be okay. I think, this may well start to get better for you soon.

Hoping for a better day for you,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

You're in my thoughts - keep strong!

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Administrator

Thank you very much, apace.

Jaclyn, I'm right there with you in the crapper. Things are really really bad for me too. Let's hang on together. It has to get better at some point.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thank you all for your support and kind words. I will write back more when I stop shaking so violently. Again - thank you. 

Apace - I really appreciate all you wrote... I know you are right... Just feel like I'm out of strength and hope that this will get better. Feels like things are getting worse. I no longer have any connection between mind and body (I think that is depersonalization? and my dizziness and confusion have reached new levels). Did you ever feel that way?

Flowers - I appreciate your thoughts. You are in mine as well.

Alto - Thanks for the encouragement and general help. I'm sure my gratitude is not as clear as I'd like it to be (fitting for the lack of clarity in ever other respect, I guess).

Blue - I am so so sorry you're in hell, also. May I ask what you feel like most days, symptom-wise? Or to put it differently, what are your most common, debilitating symptoms? I appreciate you reaching out even when you feel so awful. I like the idea of trying to hang on together.

Again - thank you all so much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Apace - I really appreciate all you wrote... I know you are right... Just feel like I'm out of strength and hope that this will get better. Feels like things are getting worse. I no longer have any connection between mind and body (I think that is depersonalization? and my dizziness and confusion have reached new levels). Did you ever feel that way?

Jaclyn,

I wasn't forced off my AD through a crossover all within one month so it's hard to compare our situations.  I did come off of Klonopin over a 2+ year period that ended in November 2014 so I probably started my zoloft taper too soon thereafter but once you get started it's tough to stop since you view the drugs as poison.  I'm not surprised you have been made to suffer because of the way your situation was handled by your docs.  Add to that the fact they tried you on so many different ADs it's hard to know what you are withdrawing from or whether it is all of them.  At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter other than for reinstatement which Prozac is the right choice since you were most recently on that and it has the longest half-life.  

I confess to never being sure which is depersonalization and which is derealization (I think one is when you don't fully recognize yourself and the other is you don't fully recognize others -- or they seem "distorted").  I have had one or both from time to time over the years and understand how disconcerting it can be.  The key for me, and my advice for you, is that when you are feeling that way try to relax and tell yourself its just the drugs and your mind playing tricks.  Then get to the outdoors as soon as you can where you have more space and can focus on the horizon which creates more perspective for your brain.  It won't kill you and if you allow it to play games with your mind you start to think you are losing it.  But you aren't -- you have to believe that.  The drugs create changes in your brain but with time and self-care those changes will reverse themselves and you will recover.

In general, people in withdrawal (myself included) tend to catastrophize and engage in "worst case" thinking.  It is really hard because bad things can happen to those in protracted withdrawal, but if you can focus on very small steps -- the tiniest of steps -- then you can see improvement and feel like you are moving forward.  If you ask yourself, "how am I compared to before withdrawal" you will not be happy with the answer for quite a while.  If you ask yourself, "how am I compared to yesterday or last week" you may see some improvements that create a more positive frame of mind.  

Mindset in healing is so important it's hard to overstate.  Read in this regard Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin.  Or look at the placebo effect.  You have to do your best to believe that you are going to get better and then actualize that.  It will take time because there are physical things in the body and brain that need to occur, but your belief that it will happen is an integral part of the process.

You are going to heal.  It may take a while but you need to do whatever you can to live in the moments and find whatever positives you can to bring yourself to the next day.  One foot in front of the other and soon you will be out of the darkness and into the light.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Jaclyn, my symptoms are: depersonalization, derealization, just feeling super weird and spaced out in general, like I'm in a daze, weird thoughts and sensations - everything feels weird and surreal, sometimes I get surges of dread, terror and horror, confusion, disorientation, constant eye floaters, muscle twitching and jerking, bad sleep

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

I actually fell for the first time today because of my dizziness. It just seems to get worse and worse, despite reinstatement. What should I do?? PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Apace - again, I appreciate all you have to say. I wish I could express my gratitude more eloquently, but I am barely able to communicate at the moment. 

Blue - I can relate to all of that and much more (see intro)... I'm so sorry and hope you feel much better soon.

I've posted and participated on the threads of others... But it doesn't seem like anything I do gets me regular, consistent support and communication.

I am SO grateful to the few of you that do post. More than I can explain. I'm barely hanging on, and I see that so many people get consistent care via posts... I need that so badly.

If anyone sees this... Hope you're all well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Jaclyn,

I feel badly as I took note of your post last night that you fell and wanted to respond, but then I had some things come up at home and I didn't get back to it.  I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you and I'm sure that it made you feel very scared and vulnerable.  I know things are really, really tough right now but hopefully you will be able to look back at that moment as your "bottoming out" and things get better from here.

I wish I could tell you why more people don't post on your board as I know that it really upsets you.  I also know that you have tried to reach out to others on their boards.  Somehow it seems like there is some randomness about how it happens.  I know that my board has not been well-attended either but you can't get upset about that -- it's not for lack of caring -- why would anyone not want to support someone struggling as you are?  

I will be thinking about you and hoping that you are feeling better starting tonight.

Hang in there.  It will get better.

Andy

Andy - you are amazing. Thank you.

I am dying. Slowly but painfully. No one deserves this. I want out.

I don't think i have anymore to offer Jacklyn. I am not good in giving out advice really. Apace said many things that are even useful to me. I distract myself with music. It makes me feel that i dont need to be anywhere. Just be me in the moment and wait for my body and brain to adjust itself and hopefully heal.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy - you are amazing. Thank you.

I am dying. Slowly but painfully. No one deserves this. I want out.

Jaclyn,

You are partially right and partially wrong.

You are right that no one deserves this.

You are wrong that you are dying (other than to the extent we all are -- not from w/d but from the passage of time).

You will get better.

Start small -- find one thing this last week that is better.  No matter how small.  Build on that.

Hang in there, Jaclyn -- time will heal you.

Andy

Jaclyn,

The toughest part of all of this is feeling so alone. I live with my pug and have nobody in my life to talk to. Nobody wants to hear of my suffering anymore but I'm so wrapped up in it that it's all consuming. So I keep to myself and suffer every day.

You are not alone. You have the people on this forum to support you and comfort you. I don't write on my own thread because I have nothing else to say about this withdrawal. I go on other people's threads and commiserate with them, give them words of encouragement, try to ease their fears and, ultimately, it makes me feel better.

Your frame of mind right now is utter desperation. We all get stuck in this place from time to time. It passes and we muster up the strength somehow to get through just one more day until it's over. You will pull yourself out of this hole you are in. You have the guts and grit to get through this.

Praying for you, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Hi dear, I'm sorry things are so tough right now. It will start to get better at some point. Right now it's all about survival. Getting through each day so that we are alive to see the day when we finally heal. Hang in there

Hi Jaclyn

So sorry to read you are suffering badly.  I know you were probably hoping to feel better by now after reinstating. It may take a while though so in the meantime it will help you if you can try to focus on having patience and acceptance. 

I have felt all the things you are going through right now and believe me it is hell isn't it? I was dizzy and felt like I was drunk most of the time! I ended up having to use a crutch to walk. However,  I used to give myself just one task a day to do to try and distract myself for even a few minutes. It was so hard and I struggled. Maybe it was to sew a missing button on a garment or wash up some dishes. You know what, if I managed to achieve this it made me feel so much better.

I am like Pug I don't put much on my thread as I am more or less stabilised now and will be starting to taper at the end of the summer. Sometimes I don't have as much time to devote to this site as I would like. It is nothing personal about you if folk don't post on your thread. Happens to me all the time! Just keep posting on others threads and get into conversation with people. We all care or we wouldn't be here.

Apace gave you some really good advice on how to help yourself in his post to you 9 July.

It is awful at the moment I know but it won't always be like this. Keep strong and I really hope you feel some improvement soon.

Lots of love

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hope/J - 

How are you?

Are you holding?  Tapering?

Just thinking about you and wondering how you are going.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 5 months later...

Hello All, 

I have not been on in quite some time. I am back because I don't know where to turn. Since I was last here, things have gotten so bad - that I had to leave my life/home/career to move in with my parents - as I am that debilitated. Oh, and my fiancé left me after several months of my not being able to leave bed or do basic things to take care of myself.

I have had every medical test under the sun - and only two things have been found: Hypothyroidism and Dysautonomia. I have no idea if either of these could be tied to the withdrawals? 

Soon will be the thirteen month mark since stopping the meds, and also since my suffering and decline from a human being to a miserable waste of space. 

I desperately need some advice... If I thought it would help, I would gladly take absolutely any pill at this point - to regain my life. I just don't know what to do...

Please please please please help me.

Thank you,

jaclyn 

• Administrator

Withdrawal causes dysautonomic symptoms. Please see What is withdrawal syndrome?

• Moderator Emeritus

And also see the following discussion regarding dysautonomia.  It is, unfortunately, hallmark of withdrawal.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/183-dysautonomia/?&p=1380&hl=dysautonomia&fromsearch=1#entry1380

I'm sorry you are struggling with it.  I feel and share your pain, Jaclyn.

Best,

Andy

Is it far too late to try reinstatement again? I am so desperate. 

• Administrator

No one can predict what taking any type of drug would do for you now.

What is your current daily symptom pattern?

The chief issues: I have 24/7 dizziness, disequilibrium, brain fog, and vision problems (out of focus, blurry). I also have neck pain and very frequent headaches that vary in severity.

• Administrator

Thanks for the links.

I just read through much of "theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome" - and was definitely fascinated by all of the info re the dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system. Especially since I have been definitively diagnosed with dysautonomia in the last month. That being said - do you recommend trying Lamictal? Is that a common treatment for dysautonomia (couldn't really gage from the post how common it is for WD)?

I finally ordered both fish oil and magnesium, which should arrive over the weekend. How much benefit to people typically see from these supplements?