SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dysphagia : swallowing and throat problems

Maybe

Hello,

Since around 4 weeks I have a new symptom, which seems to be wd related. It began with a sensitive larynx (pain when touching it) and now slight pains and weird feelings move around my throat mostly below the larynx and they come and go, not being there permanently. I haven't been to the doctor, yet, even though I should have it checked out. But it is just weird for it isn't similar to any illness I know about (problems with the thyroid, throat infection, cancer etc).

Did anyone ever experience something like that in wd?

(Results of bloodworks and thyroid will be in on Monday next week)

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hello,

Since around 4 weeks I have a new symptom, which seems to be wd related. It began with a sensitive larynx (pain when touching it) and now slight pains and weird feelings move around my throat mostly below the larynx and they come and go, not being there permanently. I haven't been to the doctor, yet, even though I should have it checked out. But it is just weird for it isn't similar to any illness I know about (problems with the thyroid, throat infection, cancer etc).

Did anyone ever experience something like that in wd?

(Results of bloodworks and thyroid will be in on Monday next week)

Hi Maybe......

just to let you know that I too had the same symptoms as well as other strange painful nodules on my jawline that would randomly pop up and then disappear.

Like you mention, they come and go. Tis the nature of WD. New symptoms can pop up, old ones can temporarily reappear and a cluster of many symptoms can show up, cycle back and forth etc. etc.

I know how utterly distressing it can be. I did not go for any medical testing since, I was too sick to get out and my CNS couldn't handle the stress of it all and besides, even IF my thyroid would have been off balance (for example) I wasn't willing to take anything to correct it since, I wanted to wait until my CNS rebalanced itself.

However, with that said, that was my choice and I'm not suggesting that you or others choose to adopt the same philosophy. I think it's wise to get things checked out IF it provides reassurance.

This journey brings new challenges each day doesn't it? It's psychologically draining trying to keep the WD induced health anxieties from consuming us but we have to keep reminding ourselves that the pain we endure today brings healing in our future.

Just to let you know, I no longer have to play aggressive positive mind-games with myself to counteract health anxieties since, my symptoms are no longer cycling as often and as aggressively as they did a couple of months ago. Considerable improvements have occurred and while I'm not symptom free, I feel far less assaulted on a daily basis.

I know I'm being a bit repetitive but I just want to reassure you. You're inching closer to Freedomville Mr. Maybe. Just hang on a bit longer. You're almost there!

Much More Healing IS Coming Your Way!

Punar

P.S. I hope the test results come back normal.

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Hi Pun,

I have to say that those symptoms do not cause any anxiety anymore. Only in very severe situations, but I hadn't had one of those for 2 or 3 months now. Still, it is always reassuring that others also have made those weird experiences and that one isn't becoming nuts or imagining things that are not even there.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Not sure if this may be related in any way, but as soon as I started on Zoloft years ago, I started bruxing and got severe TMJ. Prescribed Klonopin for bruxism. Later learned that bruxism is a side effect of SSRIs. All docs related it to stress and not AD. Not certain of mechanism, but suspect it has something to do w dopamine. Possible movement disorder? Just a guess!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I've been taking Teva generic fluoxotine and for 3 months now have had problems feeling like there's a lump in my throat, inability to cry, dry mouth and neck pains. I was thinking it had more to do with a possible Epstein Barr infection - could these though be the side-effects of this drug? And if so, is there an antidote that I could use now? I'm ready to get off this drug any second if it's causing this much havoc with my glands.

Thanks for any insight!

• Administrator

Hello, HHL.

Those sure are side effects of fluoxetine (Prozac). From official FDA info at http://www.drugs.com/pro/prozac-capsules.html:

Anaphylactoid reactions, including bronchospasm, angioedema, laryngospasm, and urticaria alone and in combination, have been reported....Upon the appearance of rash or of other possibly allergic phenomena for which an alternative etiology cannot be identified, PROZAC should be discontinued.

Table 3: Most Common Treatment-Emergent Adverse Reactions: Incidence in Major Depressive Disorder, OCD, Bulimia, and Panic Disorder Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trials1,2

Dry mouth

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds to me like you're having an allergic reaction. If I were you, I'd immediately do a fast taper off Prozac. How much are you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

To be quite honest, 20mgs every other day or even less frequently ever since I started feeling poorly. Any ideas how to antidote this?

Hello, HHL.

Those sure are side effects of fluoxetine (Prozac). From official FDA info at http://www.drugs.com/pro/prozac-capsules.html:

Anaphylactoid reactions, including bronchospasm, angioedema, laryngospasm, and urticaria alone and in combination, have been reported....Upon the appearance of rash or of other possibly allergic phenomena for which an alternative etiology cannot be identified, PROZAC should be discontinued.

Table 3: Most Common Treatment-Emergent Adverse Reactions: Incidence in Major Depressive Disorder, OCD, Bulimia, and Panic Disorder Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trials1,2

Dry mouth

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds to me like you're having an allergic reaction. If I were you, I'd immediately do a fast taper off Prozac. How much are you taking?

• Administrator

An adverse reaction justifies a fast taper:

Then next time you're due to take a dose, take 10mg per day for a week, then 5mg a day for a week, then zero.

You can open the capsule or use a liquid, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

If you told your doctor you are having this reaction and he or she did nothing, you have the basis for a complaint to your state medical board. Do not take this person's advice about psychiatric drugs ever again.

If I were you, I'd stay far away from antidepressants in the future.

Edited by Altostrata
clarification

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Happy...

EBV is what led me to take A/D'S. EBV generally starts out with a sore throat (difficulty swallowing) and then the real fun begins. Severe anxiety, depression with tons of crying.

Migratory aches/pains. Extreme fatigue and a feeling/urgency to lay down. As tired as we may feel, there really isn't a good night's sleep. Complete loss of appetite. The aches/pains can be very severe.

There are more symptoms. The EBV lives in the B Cells from our heads down to out toes and it can be reactivated by stress, illness and withdrawal. It is debilitating.

Like Alto said,from what you described, sounds like an allergic reaction.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Nikki,

Could be an allergic reaction but did do an ultrasound last week and they found a lump in my lymph gland so I don't know now what's what. The EBV definitely sucks big time, can't remember when I last felt like myself. I think the worst part of this whole saga is wanting to cry and not being able to do that. Going to get everything checked out and finally understand what's going on. In the meantime, did stop the Prozac.

Happy

Hi Happy...

EBV is what led me to take A/D'S. EBV generally starts out with a sore throat (difficulty swallowing) and then the real fun begins. Severe anxiety, depression with tons of crying.

Migratory aches/pains. Extreme fatigue and a feeling/urgency to lay down. As tired as we may feel, there really isn't a good night's sleep. Complete loss of appetite. The aches/pains can be very severe.

There are more symptoms. The EBV lives in the B Cells from our heads down to out toes and it can be reactivated by stress, illness and withdrawal. It is debilitating.

Like Alto said,from what you described, sounds like an allergic reaction.

• Administrator

Did you ever have mononucleosis? This is caused by EBV and diagnosed by a blood test.

If your symptoms arose shortly after you started taking fluoxetine, that suggests it was the fluoxetine. Now that you've stopped, have the symptoms decreased at all?

It is possible you had both an adverse reaction to fluoxetine and EBV or some other kind of infection.

Hi,

I think I just got through a bout of mono. Just had blood work done and it's all very confusing with still no clear-cut answers forthcoming from doctors. I hope this week I'll be clearer on what's going on. It all seems to be in the neck area - and the blocked emotions. I don't see that the symptoms from Prozac abated. Hoping for some good news - or at least to be in the know about what's going on. Will update.

Happy

Did you ever have mononucleosis? This is caused by EBV and diagnosed by a blood test.

If your symptoms arose shortly after you started taking fluoxetine, that suggests it was the fluoxetine. Now that you've stopped, have the symptoms decreased at all?

It is possible you had both an adverse reaction to fluoxetine and EBV or some other kind of infection.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Do you have a sore throat or a rash in your mouth? Do you have a rash anywhere on your body?

Do you have trouble swallowing because of a lack of appetite?

Trouble swallowing -- dysphagia -- is listed as an infrequent adverse effect of fluoxetine. It's possible this is affecting you.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/fluoxetine.html

Altered Appetite and Weight

Significant weight loss, especially in underweight depressed or bulimic patients, may be an undesirable result of treatment with Fluoxetine.

In U.S. placebo-controlled clinical trials for MDD, 11% of patients treated with Fluoxetine and 2% of patients treated with placebo reported anorexia (decreased appetite). Weight loss was reported in 1.4% of patients treated with Fluoxetine and in 0.5% of patients treated with placebo. However, only rarely have patients discontinued treatment with Fluoxetine because of anorexia or weight loss [see Use in Specific Populations (8.4)].

In U.S. placebo-controlled clinical trials for OCD, 17% of patients treated with Fluoxetine and 10% of patients treated with placebo reported anorexia (decreased appetite). One patient discontinued treatment with Fluoxetine because of anorexia [see Use in Specific Populations (8.4)].

In U.S. placebo-controlled clinical trials for Bulimia Nervosa, 8% of patients treated with Fluoxetine 60 mg and 4% of patients treated with placebo reported anorexia (decreased appetite). Patients treated with Fluoxetine 60 mg on average lost 0.45 kg compared with a gain of 0.16 kg by patients treated with placebo in the 16 week double-blind trial. Weight change should be monitored during therapy.

Adverse Reactions

Digestive System — Infrequent: dysphagia, gastritis, gastroenteritis, melena, stomach ulcer; Rare: bloody diarrhea, duodenal ulcer, esophageal ulcer, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, hematemesis, hepatitis, peptic ulcer, stomach ulcer hemorrhage.

monjanse -- Are you taking fluoxetine now? Please let us know how you are doing in your Intro topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3350-monjanse-stopping-take-cipralex/

I dont have a sore throat or mouth. I not have rash.

I have a good appetite, its a feeling of the swollowing reflex failure.

Used cipralex, now trying to taper fluoxetin.

• Administrator

It sounds like the adverse effect of fluoxetine called dysphagia.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to create another subject. Does anybody have problems with swallowing? I read that this is esctalopram's side effect? It has started when I started taking it...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Hi ikam,

Do you mean trouble swallowing?  I had a bizarre issue where sometimes I would swallow without even willing it to happen, it would happen on its own.  This was in severe withdrawal while tapering another drug.  It hasn't happened in years.

If you mean difficulty swallowing though, WiggleIt is having a big issue with that. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ikam,

I'm very sorry this is happening to you. Sky is right. I'm in the same boat.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

It is such a strange sensation, as if something was there, I have to clear up my throat regularly, when I take some pill, I feel as if it got stuck there...

I keep worrying that I may have a cancer...

I will have gastro appointment in june, and then endoscopy...

Don't know how to deal with this...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Moderator Emeritus

I've never had problems swallowing, but several years ago I started getting the sensation that there was something stuck in my throat, I was still on escitalopram (lexapro) at the time.  I went to my doctor and had an x-ray to see if there was anything there, but it was fine.  It was more annoying than anything and would get worse in certain situations like when I ate some foods or drove in the car or was around chemicals.  It was a feeling like I always needed to be clearing my throat, but it didn't work.  My doctor told me it was acid reflux and put me on a PPI, which didn't help, but I took it for a while anyway.

It got much worse when I came off lexapro, but as I'm recovering from withdrawal, its getting better and I hardly even notice it now.

You could go and get it checked to put your mind at rest, but it could be a drug side effect, in my case I think it was.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi ikam. I also had wierd pain swallowing, throat burning and throat spasms. Its a very troubling symptoms. Im happy to tell u though that it has gone away and not come back some time around the year mark. In fact i had really bad muscle aches and sensations all over that have gone away. I was sure it was a goiter or thyroid cancer but luckily I was wrong. Peace love and healing

just a precaution: none of this is professional medical advice, just my personal readings and experiences as a layperson:

feeling like things wont 'go down', being stuck in the back of the throat or itching/scratching burning usually, in my experience, indicate either neurological dysfunction (from withdrawal/dosing) that makes the esophagus unable to fluidly flex and relax to bring food and items down into your stomach---a surprisingly complex process requiring a lot of timed muscle cooperation, OR (and its basically an "and/or") gastritis/inflammation, spasm, reflux, or whatever else you want to call it---your esophagus is not closing properly at the bottom and acid is able to creep upwards, which often produces one or more symptoms like a tickle, burn, bad taste, cough, sore throat, lost voice, or feeling of being unable to get things down from swallowing, which is referred to, in part, as 'reflux' (at least, over here in the US).  acid overproduction, mucus underproduction (or abnormal thinning of the stomach or esophageal lining), and muscular dysfunction are all neurologically based processes that can be impacted by taking or withdrawing from psychotropic medications.  further, sometimes undersalivation can be a side effect of medications and create a new difficulty in swallowing or getting your esophagus to 'catch' and carry things down into your stomach.

alternatively, having involuntary swallowing, gagging, biting, etc is more of a tardive dyskinesia, from the 'extrapyramidal symptoms/side effects' branch of psychotropic issues.  (scratch the 'tardive' if its concurrent with taking the drug---it just means 'delayed onset'.)  this is much more specifically and commonly attributable to psychotropic usage, barring the presence of other adverse conditions.

i have had GERD (gastroesphageal reflux disorder) for like 15 years, and withdrawing from psychotropics has caused far worse dyskinesia than i ever experienced on them---many bouts, for years, of involuntary salivation, swallowing, vocalizations, mouth and tongue movements, etc.  definitely not fun, and one of the scarier side effects, overall, because its so obvious, difficult to explain to yourself without reassurance, and can make being around other people even more frightening or complicated than it may already have been.

since PPI (proton-pump inhibitors) and endoscopies were mentioned, i feel i should further clarify: the neurological effects on muscles of antidepressants (and other psychotropics) CANNOT be fixed through heartburn/reflux medicating.  PPI drugs seek to lesson the amount of acid you produce, which can cut down on inflammation and soreness, but do not, to my knowledge, help your esophagus function with normal and coherent rhythm.  only getting used to your psych med (which may or may not happen), changing to one that has different side effects for you, or removing the influence of the medication in question will help with that, i would figure.

fears about cancer are one of the primary complaints of many people who are subsequently diagnosed with GERD or situational gastritis (and no trouble with cancer).  not knowing just whats going on can be truly harrowing, but there are some symptoms that are much more liable to produce worry from a doctor in these situations (like the presence of blood in your excretions---stomach acid or digested matter, which can indicate ulcerations in your digestive tract or tumor trouble, among other things, or, even more importantly, a significant change in your mental status or weight in addition to the swallowing problems).

ive tried about 10 different PPIs and GERD medications, and have had two endoscopies (and a barium swallow/x-ray video session) in the past decade, and this, like the psych situation, is another place where doctors have no curative measures, or even any diagnostic success with me...they just throw meds at it and monitor for heartburn-induced cancer.

i hope the doctors can help you with decisiveness and expedience, its rough having those kinds of fears and struggles.  (also to note, though---if they thought there were obvious warning signs of cancer, i dont think theyd make you wait so long for those tests, unless the healthcare system is so backed up or poorly funded that they just leave people out in the cold---not a notion i can discount, in my own experiences here.  esophageal and stomach cancers are relatively quick to produce a grim diagnosis and do not end well for most people if they are not caught pretty early, which is not always a common thing since being symptomatic is often meaning you are past the beginning.  BUT, these thoughts are not to scare you, but rather encourage you that competent doctors would not put off these exams/procedures unless they thought youd be ok in the meanwhile.)

sorry if this is an information overload---things that make me wonder if im dying is a forte of mine, with respect to my medical experiences.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

Petunia and strongereachday...

It means a lot that you guys posted here, because I am 4.5 months after leaving tricyclic and I still have to purée and blend 95% of my foods. It's terrifying and I'm hungry all the time.

You guys promise it gets better?

Invisible... The info was great. Thank you.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

Petunia and strongereachday...

It means a lot that you guys posted here, because I am 4.5 months after leaving tricyclic and I still have to purée and blend 95% of my foods. It's terrifying and I'm hungry all the time.

You guys promise it gets better?

Invisible... The info was great. Thank you.

((((you))))

you will be able to eat normally at some point...

There is a good web-page on blended food, maybe it would be helpful for you?https://www.facebook.com/thenutribullet?fref=nf

I cannot eat most of veg and fruit, so I cannot make most of their receipes, but some of them just look yummy, and some are very helthy...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

After stopping citalopram i have trouble swalloing , it come and goes. Sometimes it feels like i have to try really hard to swallow, like the reflex is messed up or something and sometimes it feels like it gets stucked in my throat

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

I have been a bit better with this after antibiotics.

I have also started using Permavite and probiotic VSL#3. Also slippery elm...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all. I will look at these resources.

• 4 weeks later...

For the past month, I have had the sensation that I have to swallow twice (as in, two "gulp" actions) in order to swallow anything, like it would get stuck in my throat if I didn't do the second swallowing action.

My swallowing muscles (the front of my neck) are also sore a lot.

It's a sensation that I vaguely remember having over the years, with regards anxiety and Lexapro. 

@WiggleIt, wow it sounds like you are having a terrible time with this symptom. I wish you all the best!

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

• 2 weeks later...

About three months after I took my last Lexapro (after a year of tapering off 10mg) my throat area (behind my adams apple) lost sensation. So it's been like this for a month now. It feels like my tongue all the way down to my adams apple has lost sensation. I have to put effort in to swallowing, and when I have to cough something up, I have to try extra hard. And it feels like my yawning muscles have lost sensation. As this is my windpipe area, it's scaring me. Has anyone else experienced this? It's starting to concern me.

(I don't know if it's relevant but I recently had a brain MRI and a C-spine (neck) MRI and they both came back clear.)

Anyway it's quite alarming to be honest. Had anyone experienced anything similar?

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

I have swallowing difficulty. It feels like my tongue just slumps to the back of my throat and obstructs my airway. It's also made swallowing a bit hard. Feels like I've always got something stuck at the back of my throat. The right side of my throat feels numb and paralyzed at times and sometimes my right cheek feels a little numb too. Do you still have difficulty swallowing?

February 10-March 30: 20mg nortriptyline

March 31 onward: nortriptyline withdrawal so bad I ended up in emerge 3 times for increased heart rate and muscle spasms. Currently having problems with my balance due to constant feeling of head and body rocking and swaying. Having increased heart rate and difficulty breathing. Always fatigued and have frequent urination. Also having excruciating head, neck, shoulder and back pain  :(

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, jac. I hope they improve for you soon.

Regarding swallowing, for me, when I swallow it feels like I have to manually swallow twice to get whatever I'm trying to swallow to go down. 

Besides that, it feels like the whole area behind my Adam's apple is numb, all the way up to my tongue, which also feels numb sometimes, and into my nose and sinuses. It feels like I've lost sensation in my swallowing muscles. It's alarming me.

Yes this whole swallowing problem is alarming for me also. I also notice i have difficulty breathing at night when I'm trying to go to bed because my tongue just slumps to the back of my throat. It's like ive got sleep apnea. I've even woken up a few times gaping for air.don't know if you have the same issue but it's scary!

March 31 onward: nortriptyline withdrawal so bad I ended up in emerge 3 times for increased heart rate and muscle spasms. Currently having problems with my balance due to constant feeling of head and body rocking and swaying. Having increased heart rate and difficulty breathing. Always fatigued and have frequent urination. Also having excruciating head, neck, shoulder and back pain  :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello dears,

I do not have the numbness, but I have the trouble swallowing and the tongue slumping AND the nighttime breathing troubles.  While none of it has recovered completely, there has been improvement.  I hope for more improvement, of course, but just wanted to let you know I have seen some improvement, so you do not stay so scared. ((( ))) 

WiggleIt, I'm so glad to hear that you see improvement. It's really hard to get a full nights sleep when you're gasping for air every night. Hopefully we'll all recover from this problem soon. .

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy