Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on it. Do I need to taper to prevent lasting damage?

Laura1981

Oh and I also get the chest pains every so often.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Thanks for your quick reply Lexy! It's so good to know there's someone out there who understands! 

That's awful that you have to taper so slowly after just a couple of weeks on Effexor. I hope you're not getting too many side effects of it at least? 

I reduced the Sertraline  that I took to counter the Effexor withdrawal to zero now. I have some withdrawal symptoms: The morning cortisol surges, panic and depression, anxiety, headaches, feeling I want to rip my skin off. But I guess compared to what I read from some others here I'm still better off. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Moderator Emeritus
the doctors keep telling me "Oh, it may be related to the anxiety you took the antidepressant for...

Yes, they can blame all sorts of things on "anxiety".  I was initially on paroxetine mainly for what they called anxiety, and had a bad reaction to an antibiotic - severe stomach pain - and got told that was just my anxiety too.  It seems like once you've been diagnosed with anxiety, that can be used to cover anything you get from then on.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

the doctors keep telling me "Oh, it may be related to the anxiety you took the antidepressant for...

Yes, they can blame all sorts of things on "anxiety".  I was initially on paroxetine mainly for what they called anxiety, and had a bad reaction to an antibiotic - severe stomach pain - and got told that was just my anxiety too.  It seems like once you've been diagnosed with anxiety, that can be used to cover anything you get from then on.

@Songbird: That's so silly of your doctors. I am getting the feeling that each time they can't explain a symptom, they just make up whatever explanation is convenient to them. That's really a shame. 

In my home country they never do that. They run tests until they are sure. But now I live in Ireland, and it's a disaster here. 

Today I really crashed... chest pain, hyperventilating, feeling ants in my brain, involuntary muscle spasms in my neck, crying like crazy. I hope this is the peak and from now on it'll get uphill. My last dose was 6 days ago. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Hey all, 

is there anything I can do against the racing thoughts? It's driving me mad... I can't stop thinking "why did the doctor prescribe this medication". I clash with all therapists and doctors I talk to because they all say "oh, it's just anxiety, it can't possibly be a side effect of the medication!".  Yesterday I was labelled as paranoid by the company doctor. 

After that, my thoughts keep racing around the fact that these doctors are ignorants. But I shouldn't really care. They're not doing their jobs well, but it doesn't have to impact me that much. 

Cheers, 

Laura

I just had an encouraging thought... if we are all very sensitive to changes in neurotransmitter levels, once we're healed, we should be able to make a big impact on our mood with relatively small self care measures.... I think I'll move to a sunny place.

Hey all, 

is there anything I can do against the racing thoughts? It's driving me mad... I can't stop thinking "why did the doctor prescribe this medication". I clash with all therapists and doctors I talk to because they all say "oh, it's just anxiety, it can't possibly be a side effect of the medication!".  Yesterday I was labelled as paranoid by the company doctor. 

After that, my thoughts keep racing around the fact that these doctors are ignorants. But I shouldn't really care. They're not doing their jobs well, but it doesn't have to impact me that much. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Laura,

Check out the thread on symptoms and self-care. For me, the main thing to relieve mental and emotional symptoms is moving my body. Even if it's just doing a few things around the house, but walking, getting outside are even better for me. It's a way of burning off some of the energy that fuels those kinds of thoughts..but gentle exercise, not anything too vigorous.

I've also started telling myself, "those are withdrawal thoughts" when they arise. It helps me not get so hooked on them. They come back and and I just keep saying the same thing. They gain power when we take them seriously. I know this is not an easy thing to work with though.

I just had an encouraging thought... if we are all very sensitive to changes in neurotransmitter levels, once we're healed, we should be able to make a big impact on our mood with relatively small self care measures.... I think I'll move to a sunny place.

It is encouraging. I was just thinking last week about what the benefits are to having a more sensitive system. My nervous system has always been more sensitive, but more so because of WD and a few other things that have happened. I've been more attuned to gentle forms of bodywork, homeopathy, flower remedies and things like that for a long time. But during tapering and since withdrawal, I find I get almost instant results from things that used to be more subtle and take longer. I don't think you have to wait until you've recovered from WD to take advantage of small measures..and I'm with you on the sunny place..been thinking about that for awhile too.

It's tempting to try and convince people what you're experiencing. People get it or they don't. Unfortunately, medical people in general are woefully ignorant about withdrawal and a lot of other things. I remember a cartoon years ago that had a drawing of a guy in a straightjacket and another guy beside him, a yogi. The guy in the straightjacket says, "how come they call you a saint and me crazy?" The yogi answers, "because I know who not to talk to". 

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Hi Freespirit,

I loved your answer! Thank you so much!

I have noticed that moving helps, althogh I went for a run and the thoughts kept torturing me.

Maybe I need to do something that needs a bit more attention outdoors. Maybe I'll wash the windows or something. I'll try the thing you suggest about withdrawal thoughts.

I love the image about the yogi. It's totally true! If they don't believe you, better don't mention it again.

(hug) Laura

Taurine for racing thoughts..I'm trying this hopefully at the end of this week..will keep you posted if it helps?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've also started telling myself, "those are withdrawal thoughts" when they arise. It helps me not get so hooked on them. They come back and and I just keep saying the same thing. They gain power when we take them seriously.

This ^ and using positive self-talk to drown them out.

That is actually not a bad idea.  I've often found my mood is much better when the sun is out.  I agree that some simple "self-care measures", as you call them, can be very effective.  We just have to get into the habit of doing them regularly.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

The racing thoughts just stopped! The first time in 6 weeks.... it feels so peaceful. I could cry of happiness!

I wonder if the Evening primerose oil I tried has anything to do with it. I only took vitamins apart from that, and wanted to try this one.

Having some relief helps. I've learned to be grateful for those kinds of moments, however brief they are. I've also learned that chasing after them, in whatever ways (supplements, exercise, qi gong) is a guaranteed way to increase suffering. A lot of the symptoms come and go, regardless of what I'm doing. I'm trying not to take offense to whatever is arising..even though part of me thinks because I'm doing things "right", that it shouldn't happen. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Help! Since a couple of days thing are getting a lot worse.

I have involuntary muscle movements, tremor and my brain hurts. It burns.

I'm so scared. Is my brain just being fried? I'm still waiting for a neurologist appointment.

Update: I figured out that I can stop these symptoms almost instantly by taking 50mg Vit B6.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great you have found something which stops your symptoms Laura. Have all of your symptoms stopped now? Please would you add your experiences to our Vitamin B6 topic here:

Vitamin B6

Are you still taking Evening Primrose Oil?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu,

thanks so much for checking in. To be honest, I'm still quite bad, although yesterday I had a breakthrough I believe.

I could stop "contain" the tingling, burning and the head explosions more or less with the vitamin b6, but I couldn't exceed a certain amount, so it was still there.

I kept having racing thoughts constantly. Sometimes out of nowhere I started getting agitated and angry.

Yesterday I tried vitamin b12 and that seems to have made a major difference on the racing thoughts. They seem to be almost gone, I felt almost calm. Could be coincidence though.

I'm also taking: Evening primrose oil, Acetyl-L-Carnetine (supposed to heal nerves, chest pain stopped short after starting it), Alpha-Linoic-Acid (also supposed to heal nerves, not sure if it makes any difference, Vitamin C, Vitamin D) .

I'm also eating lots of nuts and fresh lemon juice in water. For some reason I feel they help. I was craving for them.

I'll add the vitamin experiences in the relevant threads.

Cheers,

Laura

Hang in there Laura, you are definitely improving!!! I know it's scary but you will be through it any day now and moving on ???? Thank you so much for your support on my thread, it means so much to me ❤️

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Thanks so much Just! It's so good to hear some encouraging words. In a way I'm still glad I jumped off this train before I really got on it. If I look at my symptoms now I don't even want to imagine how bad they would have been after taking this c**p for a couple of months.

When this is all over and I'm back to my old life, I feel like going on a road trip to Canada and the US, visit all of you and bring each a magic clover from Ireland for improved healing...

I'm so fed up with this withdrawal nonsense....

I started getting weird muscle spasms in the jaw. It hurts big time. 

I also still have tingling and burning in the brain, headaches, heart racing, agitation, racing thoughts are back as well. I have no energy and lost all my good spirits. This stuff has really broken me. I was so funny and happy before. Just very stressed, that's why I took the ADs.

Now I'm a depressed wreck. How are these drugs legal....?

That would be amazing if you brought us all magic clovers! God knows I will take any help/luck I can get :) I get that nasty tingling in the brain almost 24/7. I even have it right now on the whole left side of my head. Creepy feeling but harmless, don't worry! I've had it through my entire WD and nothing has every become of it except a headache from time to time. Racing thoughts are extremely common as well, I just try to distract myself but it's hard when they act up at night when you're trying to sleep. I promise this is going to pass very soon for you Laura, you just have to fight to stay positive and know that this isn't your life. It's just a blip on the radar <3

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Thanks so much Just! It's so good to hear your encouraging words. 

It sometimes feels like this will last forever and my life is done. But as you say, it will pass! Good to know that the tingling feeling is harmless. It annoys me to death. Splitting headache and all the other symptoms on top... I don't even feel like getting out of bed.

How are you doing today? (hug)

Wohoooo! Massive window started this afternoon and still lasting (it's now evening).

I even went swimming and to the spa. I hope this lasts, although I better don't get too excited, just in case.

Oh that's great to hear!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

When this is all over and I'm back to my old life, I feel like going on a road trip to Canada and the US, visit all of you and bring each a magic clover from Ireland for improved healing...

I could use the luck of the Irish, nothing else has worked

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

I'll go search one tomorrow in case it doesn't rain. Maybe it helps ;-)

My pseudo-neurobiologist-self stroke again. After reading a bit on monoamine oxidase enzymes, I am wondering if those things are my problem. Any of the below is speculative and I have no idea if I understood it correctly:

I got massive withdrawal symptoms after taking Effexor for 5 days. To me that indicates that maybe not my receptors are damaged, but just my neurotransmitter balance is out of whack. Seems that some people have over-active monoamide oxidase enzymes. Those people tend to substance abuse and depression (bingo).... After stopping effexor, probably all your serotonin gets suddenly sucked through the transporters and degraded. Maybe it takes longer to re-build it if you have over-active monoamide oxidase.

These enzymes break down neurotransmitters. They get even more activated by stress and cortisone medications, which I had plenty of in the months when the depression hit me.

The self experiment: Tumeric is supposed to inhibit those enzymes. Tumeric is only absorbed with pepper. I had a delicious meal with tumeric and pepper tonight. Tomorrow my tumeric and pepper pills should arrive. Let's see if they do anything.

I always had cravings for Indian food ever since I took the ADs.... I wonder if my body was trying to tell me the above...

Here's the article tried to read:

http://www.ddtjournal.com/action/downloaddoc.php?docid=559

Bad idea.... anxiety through the roof... physical symptoms better. I guess you can have only one or the other...

Quick question:

Is it normal to have something like 30 brain zaps in 20 minutes? They even make my limbs twitch. I'm getting really annoyed with those things... and a bit worried.

• Moderator Emeritus

Its been a while since I had the brain zaps so I can't remember what it was like, here is our brain zaps topic, you might find some answers there:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/288-brain-zaps/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm really starting to loose hope... it's been three months and I'm still suffering like mad. Brain zapping all day long. My brain tingles and hurts. I'm feeling like my brain is slowly rotting away.

Is this normal? I have an appointment with a neurologist on Monday.

My GP insisted on it. I'm prepared to hear more bullsh*t and the typical 'blame it on the patient' stuff.

I'm so tired of fighting. I just want peace.... I can't do this anymore...

Aww so sorry, Laura.

Well, 3 months..I don't think is a lot of time in this unfortunately..so if that's any consolation :( it is I'm afraid normal..

Your doing great, really!

Thanks LoveandLight!

It's so hard to accept that this drug screwed up my life completely. I lost everything.

I was sporty, studying part time, working, having a great time with my boyfriend just a couple of months ago. Now I'm a wreck.

I can't deal with this. I cry everytime I see old pictures. I don't have the energy to cope with all the paperwork for the disability.

I'm sick of dealing with ignorant doctors. I just want to disappear....

don't disappear!  You have to find the courage to keep going.

i understand how a few pills can make a mess.   you have my support.  sending you well wishes.  now... where's my 4 leaf clover!?  JK!! hang in there

I am struggling to keep my life together but it is hard.  keeping in touch with friends, staying in my job.  it's tough.  keep fighting!

-Cam

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

Awwww, thanks Cam!

Your support means a lot to me. I admire how you manage to keep functioning despite all this mess. You're really a warrior.

I'm working on the cover.. Those things really seem to be quite rare.

How are you doing?

Cheers, Laura

• 2 weeks later...

You won't believe this. I just hit me with a hammer that my burnout may have been aggravated by the stupid cortisone spray my doctor prescribed me: 

"Systemic effects may occur with any inhaled corticosteroid, particularly at high doses prescribed for long periods; these effects are much less likely to occur than with oral corticosteroids. Possible systemic effects include Cushing's syndrome, Cushingoid features, adrenal suppression, growth retardation in children and adolescents, decrease in bone mineral density, cataract and glaucoma, and more rarely, a range of psychological or behavioural effects including psychomotor hyperactivity, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression or aggression (particularly in children). It is important, therefore, that the dose of inhaled corticosteroid is titrated to the lowest dose at which effective control is maintained (see section 4.8)."

I want to kill someone!!!! 

Laura..I'm just realising that the medical professionals may have caused me damage my whole life..from a vaccine at 5yrs old I developed asthma, autoimmune disorder, anxiety, allergies. Throughout my life I was given various medicines to treat these..I now know that they can cause anxiety and depression and then the give me an antidepressant and we know how that turns out. Unbelievable!