Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on it. Do I need to taper to prevent lasting damage?

Laura1981

Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened to you! We should write a book!

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I feel like giving up. It feels like those f***** doctors with their drugs have successfully destroyed me. Any little bit of self esteem that the drugs didn't damage, the doctors successfully eradicated with their ignorant, incompetent and condescending attitude. 

I really feel like there's no future. Not sure if this is still the withdrawals still or if it's the real me that has just crumbled. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Hang on in there Laura.

Have you seen this? You want to go?

http://cepuk.org/moreharmthangood/

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Thanks Muddles!

Your support means so much to me! I hope you're doing a bit better!

I would love to go to the conference. Are you going? 

I want to go. My husband is going but I just never know how I am going to be one day to the next. I am going to book a ticket for me though and if I can't go I'm sure someone would go with him.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

I'm the same. I have no idea what will be in September. Will I be alive? Will I be working again and have no time for events? 

I just booked a ticket anyway. I'll book the flights a little bit later when I can plan better. I'm sure we'll find someone who wants the ticket in case we can't make it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it's time to update my thread again. Things are still the same: Brain zaps and other head symptoms, muscle twitches, neuro emotions day in day out. 

And an army of ignorant, idiotic doctors telling me I have to "get to grips with my anxiety". I hate these stupid idiots. 

They poison you and then they play dumb. I hope the universe gives them what they deserve some day. 

I thought it's time to update my thread again. Things are still the same: Brain zaps and other head symptoms, muscle twitches, neuro emotions day in day out. 

And an army of ignorant, idiotic doctors telling me I have to "get to grips with my anxiety". I hate these stupid idiots. 

They poison you and then they play dumb. I hope the universe gives them what they deserve some day. 

Hi Laura,

I count on karma to give back what these jerks have dished out. I'm with you on hating docs.

I'm sorry you're still suffering...it's disheartening dealing with the symptoms day after day.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Hey Laura,   I'm the same.  Don 't give up.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks so much Freespirit and AliG! 

I don't know if I would have survived this without the help of this amazing community! I really think lives are being saved here every day! 

Hi Laura, thanks so much for stopping by on my thread. Your support means a lot to me. I hate doctors and pharma companies as much as you do. I can't believe what happened to us actually happens to people in the 21st century, it's surreal and unbelievable. We have to hold on and wait for healing and not let these bastards win. I wish you all the best honey

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Awww, thanks so much for stopping by too! I've been following your thread for a while and I'm so sorry that you're suffering so much. 

It's atrocious what your doctor has done to you! We won't let them win! We'll wait for healing and then we'll do something about this.

These doctors are using a very sophisticated way of torture, sadly without even realizing it themselves. It's such an irony. Those doctors are unintentionally destroying their patients and even congratulating themselves for it. It's really beyond ridiculous. 

It.s atrocious.!! Thanks Laura.  Thanks Blue. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Bl**dy he**..... I'm trying to do some stuff that I used to do in college. A stupid homework that four months ago would have taken me an hour is now taking me three days. 

I feel brain damaged!!! 

it's easy:

main( ) {        printf("hello, world");}

hang in there laura.  we can get better.  life is worth it. Don't punish yourself for not being able to do things that used to be easy.  I know, I am the worst for doing that.  Every day we get a bit better

i feel brain damaged too

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

Hi Laura, I read through your thread and I was very much disheartened to hear that you had an adverse reaction after just 5 days that have left you in an altered state to this day.  I personally "stuck with it" after having a bad reaction to effexor as well, and stayed on for 5 months before experiencing memory loss.  I've been more or less completely disabled ever since I stopped taking it. It's been about 2 years now - I messed up and smoked pot and drank too much alcohol, which made things like 3X worse, but I totally get what you're going through.

I know the feeling of not being able to do what I used to be able to do - I managed to get quite far into an advanced degree program, teaching classes, and doing competitive research - that all had to stop when I had my adverse reaction - unfortunately :(.    The whole experience defeated me so much - I can't even begin to understand the long term repercussions.  My life has just slowly disintegrated since my adverse reaction about 2 years ago - I managed to graduate with my degree, but obviously couldn't get a job or even talk to people and network.  I just ended up driving home and moving in with my dad (my mother is not a good or helpful person through this experience).  I've just slowly ran out of money, and everything is dying away.  I want it to end :(  I can't handle it very well sometimes.  Other times I'm ok.  I've gotten better and then worse, and then better, and then worse - it's like riding a nightmare rollercoaster that occasionally gets high enough to see that things will be OK, but then descends back into a hellish swamp that you can barely breathe in.

I've read stories of people who have taken just a single pill and have had issues like your describing.  I'm confident that you and everyone else will recover.  I would really love to know what exactly went wrong physiologically.

If you can get these symptoms from just 5 pills, I cannot fathom what is occurring physiologically that could do it - too much serotonin in the synapse for 5 days? 

-

Are you going to that CEP conference?  I have no money to my name, or I wouldn't hesitate to head over there and support it.  I would like to go to some events or something, but I'm not aware of any either. 

Anyways, I just thought I'd drop it and say hello, and that I'm sorry you're going through this.

Love and hugs.

it's easy:

main( ) {        printf("hello, world");}

Ahhhhh, you made me laugh :) I had almost forgotten how to do this! Thaaaanks!!! 

I would have no idea what to do without the support of this community! You're all angels! 

Thanks so much for your support Osk! 

I've read your thread. What happened to you really breaks my heart! I can tell from your posts that you're a really intelligent person. You have so much potential and it's heartbreaking that your plans and life were disrupted so heavily by this adverse reaction. 

I say disrupted because I don't think they have been entirely blocked. I am very, very confident that you will recover and get to a point where you're well enough to pursue your future again. 

Sometimes life looks hopeless. I have been at a very hopeless point in the past. At that stage, I only had myself to blame for it. It looked like I'd never going to get anywhere in life. I came out of it after a couple of years and built a pretty ok life for myself.  

I think this situation is similar, with the difference that the only ones to blame are the pharmaceutical industry and our doctors. This has been inflicted on us but we will survive it and get on with our lives afterwards. 

The question as to what exactly happened keeps me up a lot. I don't think we'll ever entirely clarify it, but I think it has a lot to do with genetics. I am in a group on facebook with other people who had those severe, immediate reactions. A girl says she did the 23andme test and found that she has inactive genetic alleles of the genes which metabolize drugs. There's a couple of papers already that point to these alleles inducing psychosis, homocide and suicide. 

If that is true, I think the cells in the brain & body get overwhelmed with antidepressant. For me it was not only my brain that was fried, it was my whole body. The antidepressant potentially doesn't even get broken down into it's active ingredient (Venlafaxine -> Desmethylvenlafaxine) Maybe the inactive ingredient is cytotoxic? Or maybe because of the huge concentration of drug in the cell, all our receptors vanish and it's basically like a cold turkey from 1000mg instead of 75mg in a normal person? 

But that's just one of the many theories I came up with since this whole disaster happened to me. Maybe I'll change my mind again. 

I really hope to go to the CEP conference. I want to thank the speakers personally for their fight against SSRI and ask them if they have any ideas what we as patients can do to advance the fight. I hope in September my finances will be so that I can go. 

I wish you lots of healing Osk! I think you're already more healed than you think! 

I've read your thread. What happened to you really breaks my heart! I can tell from your posts that you're a really intelligent person. You have so much potential and it's heartbreaking that your plans and life were disrupted so heavily by this adverse reaction. 

I say disrupted because I don't think they have been entirely blocked. I am very, very confident that you will recover and get to a point where you're well enough to pursue your future again. 

Sometimes life looks hopeless. I have been at a very hopeless point in the past. At that stage, I only had myself to blame for it. It looked like I'd never going to get anywhere in life. I came out of it after a couple of years and built a pretty ok life for myself.  

I think this situation is similar, with the difference that the only ones to blame are the pharmaceutical industry and our doctors. This has been inflicted on us but we will survive it and get on with our lives afterwards. 

The question as to what exactly happened keeps me up a lot. I don't think we'll ever entirely clarify it, but I think it has a lot to do with genetics. I am in a group on facebook with other people who had those severe, immediate reactions. A girl says she did the 23andme test and found that she has inactive genetic alleles of the genes which metabolize drugs. There's a couple of papers already that point to these alleles inducing psychosis, homocide and suicide. 

If that is true, I think the cells in the brain & body get overwhelmed with antidepressant. For me it was not only my brain that was fried, it was my whole body. The antidepressant potentially doesn't even get broken down into it's active ingredient (Venlafaxine -> Desmethylvenlafaxine) Maybe the inactive ingredient is cytotoxic? Or maybe because of the huge concentration of drug in the cell, all our receptors vanish and it's basically like a cold turkey from 1000mg instead of 75mg in a normal person? 

But that's just one of the many theories I came up with since this whole disaster happened to me. Maybe I'll change my mind again. 

I really hope to go to the CEP conference. I want to thank the speakers personally for their fight against SSRI and ask them if they have any ideas what we as patients can do to advance the fight. I hope in September my finances will be so that I can go. 

I wish you lots of healing Osk! I think you're already more healed than you think! 

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate many of the positive, uplifting and encouraging things that you had to say. 

That's an interesting theory about the possibility that the original compound is cytotoxic - esp. if it's not broken down by the liver enzymes.  That's definitely one possibility.

Another thing I don't understand is how some people can have no symptoms at all, and then if they too quickly taper, suddenly they all appear.  It's almost as if the lack of the drug in the system causes some sort of cytotoxic effect. 

The confusing part is 1)  people like yourself, who take just a couple of pills and have a bad reaction, and 2)  People who taper too quickly  - BOTH have the same sort of symptoms.  So the same result seems to happen from two widely different scenarios.

WTF life?

If you go to the CEP conference or know anyone who does, please try to get the video from the whole thing.  I'd even be willing to pay you for a copy of that, assuming its a reasonable price for such a thing.  I'm very interested in hearing what they have to say, and there are FAR too videos on the subject online.

Let me know as that date approaches (we have a couple of months still!!!).

I bet that article by Luke Montague is going to get a tremendous amount of people to attend that conference.

Oh, I love theorizing over what could cause the withdrawal. At some stage I as even obsessed it (the adverse reaction made me obsessive about things, I was never like that before) 

Another thing I don't understand is how some people can have no symptoms at all, and then if they too quickly taper, suddenly they all appear.  It's almost as if the lack of the drug in the system causes some sort of cytotoxic effect.

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. I was wondering if the withdrawal slowly damages things (not sure which things). If the person had quite healthy neurons in the first place, it could take a while until they are worn down enough from withdrawal until symptoms appear. My neurons were definitely quite fried from prolonged stress... and poisoned from the adverse reaction of course. 

This is from a paper: 

Preclinical and clinical studies have established an increase in glutamatergic transmission following stress and as a core component of depression as well (Harvey, 2008; Wegener et al., 2010; Gao and Bao, 2011). Considering that 5-HT can abrogate glutamate pyramidal neurons in the rat cortex (El Mansari and Blier, 1997), and that SRI discontinuation promotes a stress response in rats (Harvey et al., 2002) and in humans (Michelson et al., 2000), SRI discontinuation may very likely increase glutamate release (Karreman and Moghaddam, 1996; Timmerman et al., 1999) as part of a stress response with subsequent effects on neuroplasticity and cell survival. Given the important role of the glutamate-nitric oxide (NO) system in neuroplasticity and depression (Esplugues, 2002; Harvey et al., 2003; Dhir and Kulkarni, 2011; Wegener et al., 2010), increased glutamate-NO signalling will eventually drive structural brain changes over time, as note in the hippocampus of patients with a history of prolonged depression and repeated depressive episodes (Krishnan and Nestler, 2008; Savitz and Drevets, 2009).

New insights on the antidepressant discontinuation syndrome
Brian H. Harvey 1 * and Francois N. Slabbert 2

The confusing part is 1)  people like yourself, who take just a couple of pills and have a bad reaction, and 2)  People who taper too quickly  - BOTH have the same sort of symptoms.  So the same result seems to happen from two widely different scenarios.

WTF life?

I would guess this is because antidepressants are toxic, but the full damage only reveals itself after you stop taking them. I had an adverse reaction, so I incurred months worth of damage in a couple of doses. But people without adverse reaction also get their system damaged. Just slower. In my case I noticed it immediately because my body started to shut down. 

But the bodies of people without adverse reactions shut down slowly over time without the people noticing. 

I'm pretty sure they're going to film it again, like the Maudsley debate. That was filmed professionally. I'll make sure I find out beforehand. 

If you go to the CEP conference or know anyone who does, please try to get the video from the whole thing.  I'd even be willing to pay you for a copy of that, assuming its a reasonable price for such a thing.  I'm very interested in hearing what they have to say, and there are FAR too videos on the subject online.

Let me know as that date approaches (we have a couple of months still!!!).

I bet that article by Luke Montague is going to get a tremendous amount of people to attend that conference.

Oh, I love theorizing over what could cause the withdrawal. At some stage I as even obsessed it (the adverse reaction made me obsessive about things, I was never like that before) 

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. I was wondering if the withdrawal slowly damages things (not sure which things). If the person had quite healthy neurons in the first place, it could take a while until they are worn down enough from withdrawal until symptoms appear. My neurons were definitely quite fried from prolonged stress... and poisoned from the adverse reaction of course. 

This is from a paper: 

Preclinical and clinical studies have established an increase in glutamatergic transmission following stress and as a core component of depression as well (Harvey, 2008; Wegener et al., 2010; Gao and Bao, 2011). Considering that 5-HT can abrogate glutamate pyramidal neurons in the rat cortex (El Mansari and Blier, 1997), and that SRI discontinuation promotes a stress response in rats (Harvey et al., 2002) and in humans (Michelson et al., 2000), SRI discontinuation may very likely increase glutamate release (Karreman and Moghaddam, 1996; Timmerman et al., 1999) as part of a stress response with subsequent effects on neuroplasticity and cell survival. Given the important role of the glutamate-nitric oxide (NO) system in neuroplasticity and depression (Esplugues, 2002; Harvey et al., 2003; Dhir and Kulkarni, 2011; Wegener et al., 2010), increased glutamate-NO signalling will eventually drive structural brain changes over time, as note in the hippocampus of patients with a history of prolonged depression and repeated depressive episodes (Krishnan and Nestler, 2008; Savitz and Drevets, 2009).

New insights on the antidepressant discontinuation syndrome
Brian H. Harvey 1 * and Francois N. Slabbert 2

That's interesting.  Perhaps it's some sort of cell death or damage caused by this stress response.  I wonder if my massive panic attacks and psycosis from the marijuana did a similar thing.  I've been much much worse ever since smoking that pot and having like 100 panic attacks in a 6 month period.  All those stress hormones probably wrecked havoc on an already damaged brain :(

SSRIs adverse reaction + withdrawal  + huge stress responses caused by other factors = serious brain damage :(

I bet that's at least part of the withdrawal syndrome: Massive stress overflow. I know at least two people who got very damaged by stress alone: One got a tinnitus and one suddenly couldn't speak properly anymore.... I should really quit my job now that I think about it. 

I want my life baaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

What is a "life" that people describe.  Isn't this "life"?

I guess it's some kind of life. But it's not the one I wanted... I want to do sports again, surf, enjoy things, be able to use my brain. I feel like I'm going through an experience that is usually reserved for people in their 60ies (serious, life changing illness) just because my GP decided to poison me. 

But you're right, it is some kind of life. And gaining a life experience 30 years earlier than usual probably means we gain a lot of insight way earlier than other people. 

Hey Laura,

I connect with your story because I had an adverse reaction on Escitalopram 5mg after only 4 days nearly a year ago. 

On a side note, I see a lot of hatred for your doctors. As a student in the process of becoming a doctor, I have seen SSRI's described in my classes as "safe" "effective" and depression as simply being a "shortage of serotonin". Had I not known any better, wouldn't I trust my books? I probably would have. I agree that most doctors don't understand the dangers of SSRI's, but I don't think that this makes them evil. Years of training has repeatedly told them that these drugs are safe and that when they don't work it's because of underlying mental illness. If they don't follow the common conventions of prescribing antidepressants, the institutions they work for and their colleagues will take notice and their jobs could be at stake. It's a messed up system, but I don't see doctors as evil, just mis-leaded. The blame is spread between medical schools/ textbooks/ pharma companies/ government regulations/ doctors. 

I hope that you start feeling better soon! Hang in there!

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

Hi Ghost, 

thanks so much for stopping by my thread. I agree that doctors are also massively misinformed about the dangers of these drugs. 

However, I have actually gotten my hands on various versions of different prescription guidelines that doctors are supposed to follow when prescribing antidepressant drugs. The Irish version, the UK version and the version from the European standard book about psychotropic drug prescribing. 

All of these guidelines state to: 

- Explain the diagnosis and treatment options to the patient, including the option of no treatment

- Explain the potential risks and common side effects of the treatment

- Explain that the antidepressant will have to be taken for a while and slowly tapered off after finishing the treatment

- Remind patient to watch out for symptoms of serotonin syndrome and suicidal worsening

My doctor did none of these. He also tried to push various other, unnecessary drugs on me, both in the past and during that consultation. 

Additionally, he completely let me down after this adverse effect happened, minimized my issue and didn't support me at all. 

I have very low tolerance for people doing a bad job, even in professions where no lives are at stake. But if it's about my health, I have even less tolerance. I usually always do my due diligence in researching the dangers of things I take. In that situation, I was vulnerable because I was under huge amounts of pressure and my GP let me down. 

I have suffered so much in the last couple of months, lost almost everything that was important to me and I have no idea how I will carry on with my life. I just don't think I will be able not to hate that doctor. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Cheers, Laura

PS: So sorry to hear what you're going through after only 4 doses of Escitalopram. It's both horrible and incredible what those drugs can do to people. 

What is a "life" that people describe.  Isn't this "life"?

I guess it's some kind of life. But it's not the one I wanted... I want to do sports again, surf, enjoy things, be able to use my brain. I feel like I'm going through an experience that is usually reserved for people in their 60ies (serious, life changing illness) just because my GP decided to poison me. 

But you're right, it is some kind of life. And gaining a life experience 30 years earlier than usual probably means we gain a lot of insight way earlier than other people. 

When I lived in California (before I was forced to move back to the East coast due to the meds issues) I was an avid surfer.  Did you surf in Ireland? 

I was still able to surf through much of WD, but the anhedonia and numbness in my body made me prone to injury - plus I didn't get the same emotional rush anymore.  But I did go a few times with a friend or two and also by myself.

Yes - I feel a lot like you feel - That I'm experiencing something that someone in their 50's should be experiencing.  BUT then I remember that 10,000 years ago, the life expectancy of humans was about 20-30 years - and therefore, biologically (under natural conditions) I'm at the end of my life anyways.  So when I think about it like that it doesn't make me quite as miserable.

Plus - we live in a very inhospitable universe - the fact that we can even "wake up" and be alive at all is a miracle on this little biosphere we like to call Earth.

When I lived in California (before I was forced to move back to the East coast due to the meds issues) I was an avid surfer.  Did you surf in Ireland? 

I was still able to surf through much of WD, but the anhedonia and numbness in my body made me prone to injury - plus I didn't get the same emotional rush anymore.  But I did go a few times with a friend or two and also by myself.

Surfing in California! I'm so jealous! Ireland has some good surf on the westcoast. You should come and try when you're recovered. 

I still have to go very easy on any kind of physical exercise. I overdid it a couple of times and ended up in bed all day with brain zaps so bad that I was completely incapacitated. It's a shame because I'm absolutely fanatic for sports. 

I also have the same problem with the emotional rush: Nothing is fun anymore. So I'd rather hang on to the good memories of certain activities that used to be fun, rather than ruin them with new, frustrating experiences. 

I love your positive view about the life expectancy. I think I'm in grumpy mode at the moment: I'm annoyed that I've been robbed at least a year of what should have been my life. I need to try view it your way: We're actually lucky to live in developed countries without war and with sufficient food and shelter. 

I'm so sick of this ridiculous brain impairment! I can't focus, I can't think, I can't do anything useful. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread..but Osk's philosophical musings reminded me that I've been having strange existential thoughts..not upsetting..just strange. I want to find out the answers for random things all the time. Anyone else like this?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I know laura, for days I've been almost glued to the coach doing nothing, staring at the wall..I don't see the point in anything when I don't enjoy one single thing..but i still kept doing stuff anyway. But now I just can't seem to make myself do anything. What a waste. I used to be intelligent, excited about things and an appetite for leaning.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!