SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on it. Do I need to taper to prevent lasting damage?

Laura1981

Same here! I keep hanging out on the couch, can't even be bothered to go out. Trying to do useful things, but can't get myself keep the concentration up. It just drifts off to youtube, the forum, stuff in my head. 

It's such a waste...They deleted us! 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Yes, I feel like my soul has gone..yep they deleted us! My god..what a crazy world.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Very sick and crazy. What blows my mind most is: How could the medical community manage to cover something up that affects thousands of people. It's really beyond me. 

I've just seen a video from 1991 where people were testifying of horrible things that happened on Prozac in front of an FDA committee... they can not say they didn't know... 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Yes, I'm trying not to think of this 'cover-up'. It's horrifying.

Dopamine - I wonder if this is what is affecting me the most..with this empty feeling and extreme apathy..I know you can take supplements to help dopamine..have you thought about this, or do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Do you have this empty soulless feeling and anhendonia? Can't believe how bad these symptoms are and these are some of the better ones, I know. Crazy!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Dopamine is supposed to be the reward chemical... but I think in reality it's not that easy. 

I had a lot of crazy theories regarding what could be happening in our brains and how we might fix it with the various supplements... but retrospectively I think this speculation was drug induced delusional thinking on my part. 

I think the damage and dysbalance in our brains is so complicated that it's hard to know how to exactly fix them. That doesn't prevent me from ocasionally falling back into my delusional ideas and thinking "Now I found the answer" ;-) 

I think I have some degree of soulless anhedonia, apathy and demotivation. It was definitely worse at some stage. But the anhedonia is still enough to keep me from doing anything pleasant. Just because nothing is really pleasant. 

I'm glad this has gotten better for you..I hope it keeps getting better!

It's horrible isn't it? I've felt like this got years on and off ad's but had no idea the cause. I'm furious. I was told by professionals to 'get on with it', 'do things no matter how bad you feel'. It's easy for them to say.

I've learned that the most "professionals" actually have no idea what they are doing when it comes to drugs. 

They think "Oh, the antidepressant makes the patient a bit more positive"... arghhhhhhhh. Although... for some patients it actually does this. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from. 

I would be furious too if I were you! Hell, I AM furious. But now you're healing... and once you're healed you'll have your whole range of emotions again. Positive and negative.  

You're in the UK too, right? Are you going to the "More harm than good" Conference in September? 

Thanks Laura..we will be the happiest happy people ever lol!

I'm in doubt that I'm healing ATM..did I mention the anhedonia? ;) god that's one symptom that feels like a forever one..ahhhhhh totally!

No, I'm not going, I don't think so. I've filled my head with negative outcomes..I feel that maybe the conference..like the name suggests, focuses on the harm and not the solution or the healing.

You'll heal, I know it!!!! It may take a while longer, but you'll definitely heal.

Yeah, you may be right about the conference. It may be better for healing to focus on positive things. I'm just so angry and upset that I can't do that at all at the moment.

I feel like I need to meet people who are fighting this nonsense. I don't know where to put all the anger and disappointment.

It's not even so much about me. I think I'll be ok in a couple of months. I'll get back on my feet, get a new job, start living my life again. My brain & body just need to heal a little bit more. 

But I'm so mad about all the other lives ruined....

When I'm healed I may put a lot of effort into awareness, campaign or support etc or I may want to be as far away from this terrible last (almost) decade as possible..I don't know.

I'm so pleased you feel close to healing!

LoveandLight I feel the same! My anxiety is 70% existential, and like you said you always want the answers!

This is always present, but when DP/DR hits me hard I think I'm going insane. Why can't I have normal problems. So many things that I can't change or affect them in any way bother me. Hate that.

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

When I'm healed I may put a lot of effort into awareness, campaign or support etc or I may want to be as far away from this terrible last (almost) decade as possible..I don't know.

I'm so pleased you feel close to healing!

I hope you heal very, very soon and move on with your life. Activism or not, as long as you're happy. That's what's important. 

I hope I'm close to healing...maybe it's wishful thinking... I just noticed that my blood pressure is completely on the floor... maybe that's why my heart feels so funny....arghhh, I hate new symptoms. 

I hope you heal very, very soon and move on with your life. Activism or not, as long as you're happy. That's what's important.

I hope I'm close to healing...maybe it's wishful thinking... I just noticed that my blood pressure is completely on the floor... maybe that's why my heart feels so funny....arghhh, I hate new symptoms.

I know how you feel. Just when I get used to one set of sypmtoms (not that you can get used to living like that -.-) there comes another one, totally different. Starting to think if this is my original condition or still wd....

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

I know how you feel. Just when I get used to one set of sypmtoms (not that you can get used to living like that -.-) there comes another one, totally different. Starting to think if this is my original condition or still wd....

So annoying, right? If in doubt, it's always withdrawal ;-) 

You were saying you wish you had normal problems... sometimes I think if we survive this, no problem on this planet will shock us anymore...

Haha, I also think that. But then again, humans are pretty fragile. If nothing, this is going to teach me how to appreciate small things...even a sound mind. For most people it's something normal, but they don't know how lucky they are.

Today I feel like quitting my job. I'm sick of dealing with doctors who want to talk me into believing "this is all in your head".

I'm sick of having to attend stupid assessments where ignorant, clueless doctors put labels on me. 

It's a trade off: do I keep the money (salary) or my dignity? 

Today I feel like quitting my job. I'm sick of dealing with doctors who want to talk me into believing "this is all in your head".

I'm sick of having to attend stupid assessments where ignorant, clueless doctors put labels on me. 

It's a trade off: do I keep the money (salary) or my dignity? 

:(

Yes..I'm sick of docs..I cannot believe this..I go to a mental health support group but I wouldn't have needed the damn group in the first place I'm sure if I had taken the drugs..

I'd love to see one of your docs taking something then CT maybe also an adverse reaction see if then it's just all in their head. But only for it to last a day or something, cos I'm not that sick lol

Keep your job IMO..you'll be glad that you did when your better. I have no job to go back to..so to have that security is a but of weight off?

Hi Laura1981,

I just read through your thread and I can sympathise with your anger and frustration that you feel, towards the medical professionals.

I had a horrible reaction to Zolof after 3 pills.

I can completely understand your situation.

I experienced burning, pins and needles in the head. Crying. Burning in the chest. Burning in the mouth. Worse OCD symptoms.

PGAD. Sensitivity to light, sounds. Sensitivity to touch, hot cold. Suicidal thoughts. Helplessness, loss of appetite, loss of feeling. Loss of energy. Racing thoughts. Anxiety/Panic, andrenneline surges. Pins and needles in the arms, legs. Obsessing over wd symptoms. Nightmarres/ weird dreams. Sensitivity to drugs /supplements. The list goes on.

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. A lot of people on this forum have experienced wd symptoms that I have listed.

But after 20 months I have seen improvements. Burning in the head has gone, but it took 10 months to go away. Nightmarres, stopped. Anxiety improved. Mood improved. Suicidal thoughts gone.

Rare andrenneline surges. Racing thoughts have improved. Better energy. No burning in the chest/ mouth. So you can see that you will see improvements but it will take time. You learn to be patient in this process of healing . It might take another year or two for me , to completely heal, but I am ok. with that.

You are doing pretty well, keep it up.

If you don't have to quit your job, then don't. It will keep you occupied, so that you don't have to think about wd symptoms.

Majority of doctors are ignorant. Don't expect much from them. Do what feels right for you. You are young and still have a wonderful future ahead of you.

This is just a speck in your life, that might seem like an enormous mountain to climb. How bad you feel today will fade into a distant memory in the future. It is amazing how much pain and suffering a human being can endure and recover from. Keep this in mind, while you are healing. The road ahead will be bumpy, but the bumps will become less bumpier and the road ahead smother, until there are no wd symptoms bumps to overcome.

FYI, (LOL), I almost wrote, bumpy bums! (Damn you Cellulite)! :) Typo error! Hope this cheers you up !

Sending healing vibes to you, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Laura, thank you so much for stopping by on my thread. I really appreciate the support. I wish peace and healing to you. 

I'm very angry at the medical profession and society in general, I understand your frustration. These morons did this to us. They can say 2+2 makes 5, but we know the truth - THEY did this to us. They and their stupid poisons. I hope they go to hell and get tortured with psych pills there. Then they'll understand. 

I don't have any advice on your job situation because I've never had a job. I hope you do what's best for you. Stay strong honey, we have to survive this. We have to. We can't let them win. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thanks so much for your support everybody!!! 

I'd love to see one of your docs taking something then CT maybe also an adverse reaction see if then it's just all in their head. But only for it to last a day or something, cos I'm not that sick lol

I'd love to see that too, although I would love to see them suffer it all through from A to Z, otherwise they'll say "withdrawal is awful but it only lasts one day. 

Keep your job IMO..you'll be glad that you did when your better. I have no job to go back to..so to have that security is a but of weight off?

I don't know... at the moment, I'm just so angry at my job too. My job got me to the point where I had to take ADs in the first place. Then the company doctor put me on those drugs without any warning, just so that I can keep sacrificing my soul for the job. And now they're pressuring me to get back from sick leave, not believing me and letting me down in every way possible. I know the most reasonable thing to do would be to play their stupid game and keep the job. But it's so hard to take their b***s**t of health evaluations, patronizing and lecturing every day. 

@Hopeful: 

Thank you so much for your warm words!!! It really helps to know others are in the same disaster as I am. 

It's horrible what three pills of Zoloft have done to you!!! I'm so sorry for all you've gone through but I'm so glad you're a bit better already. With your positive outlook on things, I'm sure you'll heal very soon! 

@Blue: Thanks so much for your support! I think we feel very similar about those doctors and their poisons :-). Keep healing! When we're all better I'll do a trip to Sofia for sightseeing and meet you for coffee :) I just looked at pictures. Your city looks beautiful! 

Ouch, I think I'm in some sort of wave too. Probably because I exercised. 

Brain zaps are so bad that I can barely look at the screen. I need to limit the screen time a bit, so if you don't hear much from me that's why. Thinking of you all! 

New symptom: Shooting pains.... really? I've had about enough stupid, drug induced nonsense symptoms. I hate this!!!! .... :( 

• Moderator Emeritus

New symptom: Shooting pains.... really? I've had about enough stupid, drug induced nonsense symptoms. I hate this!!!! .... :(

Those are a favorite of mine, Laura!  Since I have some arthritis in the hips, I can't tell if the shooting pains down the leg are secondary to the arthritis or if they are more withdrawal.  I used to assume the former, but now I'm leaning toward the latter (partly because I want blame EVERYTHING on withdrawal which is clearly not helpful).

Sorry you are suffering with that.  :(

Hang in there!

It will get better!

;)

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Ahh I had that. Currently only through my head. And it got better, really.

Thanks so much Andy & Servadei! 

@Andy: I also blame everything on withdrawal... I think withdrawal deserves it ;-)  Who knows if the arthritis is not caused by the ADs in the first place...

I hope you're not being plagued too much by the shooting pains. 

My head is still buzzing and zapping and doing strange stuff all day..,.but I think I'm getting used to it. I can already cycle without crashing. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the silence in the different threads and actions. I'm really struggling at the moment. 

I feel like I'm getting worse and worse. I have brain zaps 24/7, burning in the brain, my fingers move on their own, I have twitches in my face that look like tardive dyskinesia. I'm trying not to catastrophize, but I've looked at several tardive dyskinesia videos and they really look exactly like that. Luckily they are not too pronounced so I just look a bit weird, but people have started to stare at me. 

I can't focus for the life of me and I'm totally unmotivated. 

<rant>: I just can't believe this. The incompetence of the medical profession is really baffling me. How could an entire profession that claims to help the patients be so oblivious and let the drug industry sell them lies about severe side effects. And even worse... how can this profession than ignore and abandon their patients when the side effects happen. This is really a disgrace and there is no excuse for it whatsoever.  </rant>

Hi Laura

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  I am praying for you.  Don't know if you are religious... I'm not, but that's all I can really do.  I'm still thinking of you,  be strong.  And I will be strong for you, it gets tough at times tho.

Thinking about you alot... ((hug))

Cam

I'm not experiencing any improvement either...

I'm going to sign up for a crossfit class around the corner from my home.  Bruce Willis told me to!

Please be patient with me and let me build the bridge again.  I hope I didn't cause too much stress

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

• 1 month later...

Hi Osk, 

thanks for checking in! 

How am I? Good question but hard to answer. 

On the bright side, I have gotten the twitches and jerks a bit more under control. I also seem to have much less "brain malfunction" than I used to when I last posted. I can't really explain the brain malfunction. It's like all the wiring in my brain is going crazy. Zaps, pulses, cramps, weird stuff. It's so hard to explain. If feels like small seizures.  I still have an electric head and zaps almost 24/7 unfortunately. 

I wonder if the improvement is related to the acetyl-l-carnitine I started taking. It feels like it quite quickly makes some improvement in the electric head that lasts for about 6 hours. I take it twice daily, so I just about survive the day. I'm scared of long term effects of taking it though. 

On the unhappy front, I collapsed and woke up on the bathroom floor recently with my head feeling like it was being microwaved. It was the worst feeling in the world. I really was sure that I was going to die. I had "I am going to die" moments quite often since my whole Venlafaxine accident, but I was never "sure" I was going to die, except for in this case. It was terrifying. Well, luckily I didn't die. 

I also have dizzy spells and the feeling that I will faint quite often now. I had them on and off before, but now they're back with full force. 

What else.. zaps, depression, still a bit suicidal sometimes. And all of this from not even 6 full doses of medicine. Bummer.... 

And you? I'm so glad you had some improvements to report on your thread! 

Cheers, 

Laura

Hi Laura,

That's a very descriptive post.  I'm so sorry to hear about all of these horrendous symptoms.  Having experienced most of those myself, I can totally relate to the "I'm probably going to die" feeling - I had a it a lot back in 2014 for many many months.  I often wondered if I had done permanent damage - but slowly over time the symptoms melted away.

I wish that there was something I could to to help remedy your symptoms!

Did you collapse, as in faint and lose consciousness with your microwaved head?  That sounds horrifying - I hate that feeling of not being in control of the body - feeling like I was an 85 year old Lukemia patient after being athletic and highly in touch with my body for many years.  It's a terrifying experience, and I empathize completely.

As for me, I was doing quite well actually, then I forced myself into a wave recently by taking acetyl l carnatine, Lipoeic Acid, and bentoftiamine in the same day.  I don't know which of these 3 did the trick, but one day after taking them all in the same day, I had exacerbated symptoms, and then the next day I discovered that I became hypersensitive to benadryl - resulting in tingling and numbness in my feet - an atypical reaction considering I took benadryl multiple times in recent months for sleep assistance.  The combination of all these factors caused my feet to feel cold and numb, and my cognitive processes to diminish.  I was spared some of the more miserable aspects of this condition, thankfully but decided to stop taking those supplements for the time being.

It's been a few days since then and the symptoms are getting better.  It's always a big risk for me taking supplements - I knew that going into this whole supplement experiment there would be risks - it's just unfortunate to remind myself that my brain is still very sensitive and subject to considerable setbacks, from seemingly benign sources.  I did sort of enjoy the effects from acetyl l carnatine - it felt like I was stimulated but at the same time I felt a bit dumber - like it was a tradeoff between having less pain + more energy and feeling less intelligent.  Then when it wore off I typically felt worse.  Kind of a bummer, I was hoping for at minimum no effect - or at best a "magic bullet" - wishful thinking I realize now.

I've become well enough in the past 2 months to be able to apply for and pursue employment.  I had one interview and will have another in a week - hopefully the wave will be over by that point.  These are not high paying jobs, but they are jobs and I think I might be able to keep my job if I do get hired.  One job offer was basically slave labor and in order to keep what little dignity I have left, I declined the offer.

How are you doing with "life things" in spite of your symptoms? 

Cheers,

Osk

Hi Osk, 

so sorry to hear the supplements caused a wave and didn't help at all! It seems like most people can't take supplements.

For some reason I am not hypersensitive to supplements.  Just some food additive make me quite a bit worse. I'm totally intolerant to exercise though. A bit of sports and I'm sick for a week. 

So good to hear that you're doing interviews and feeling ready to work. I hope the wave goes away quickly, so that you don't have to worry about feeling poorly at work. Good that you declined the slave labour, I'm sure you'll find something better. 

I still feel light years away from any kind of productivity, which is a nightmare. I used to be a quite efficient person. 

Regarding the collapse: I don't know what happened exactly, but I think I must have fainted and lost consciousness.  I don't remember how I got on the floor. I just remember waking up on the floor with the microwave head, staying there for a while and then crawling to the couch. I have decided that most likely what happened was a "Vasovagal Response". I guess the microwave head was the lack of oxygen coupled with the damage that's already there. If it had been a seizure, I would have had more bruises likely. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Hi Osk, 

so sorry to hear the supplements caused a wave and didn't help at all! It seems like most people can't take supplements.

For some reason I am not hypersensitive to supplements.  Just some food additive make me quite a bit worse. I'm totally intolerant to exercise though. A bit of sports and I'm sick for a week. 

So good to hear that you're doing interviews and feeling ready to work. I hope the wave goes away quickly, so that you don't have to worry about feeling poorly at work. Good that you declined the slave labour, I'm sure you'll find something better. 

I still feel light years away from any kind of productivity, which is a nightmare. I used to be a quite efficient person. 

Regarding the collapse: I don't know what happened exactly, but I think I must have fainted and lost consciousness.  I don't remember how I got on the floor. I just remember waking up on the floor with the microwave head, staying there for a while and then crawling to the couch. I have decided that most likely what happened was a "Vasovagal Response". I guess the microwave head was the lack of oxygen coupled with the damage that's already there. If it had been a seizure, I would have had more bruises likely. 

Cheers, 

Laura

It's really amazing not being hypersensitive to supplements and food items.  Can you tolerate alcohol at all? 

I'm so sorry to hear that you cannot exercise without side effects!  What kind of sickness do you feel for the week after you try to exercise vigorously?  Is it like a general malaise, or are all of your symptoms much much worse, etc?

I think you're probably right about the vasovagal response, that sort of thing is common especially in folks who have had challenges with blood pressure regulation as a result of taking these drugs - I remember for some time I would stand up too quickly and almost immediately feel like fainitng.  Over the last year that has almost entirely gone away, and I no longer get that response at all!  I remember when I was taking psych meds, if I stood up too quickly, I'd ALWAYS get it - these drugs definitely affect our baroreceptors and BP regulation.

I have found that exercise doesn't really affect me adversely - but my ability to get motivated to do the exercise is a problem - and often times non existent.  I feel like a perfect candidate for becoming obese and lazy, because I would not feel any worse being like that than an athletic person.  I tried so hard to exercise a lot over the last 6 months, and I don't know if I have very much to show for it - other than a "nice figure" - but that doesn't really count for much around here in the mountains :P

I agree about the nightmarish feeling of non-productivity.

I swear - if it weren't for the internet, I'd be so confused about this situation.  So utterly confused and baffled.   I consider myself very fortunate for having found SA and meeting people with similar experiences.

Hi Osk, ,

yeah, I agree it's great I can take supplement and eat everything. Although I'd rather trade for the ability to do sports and get that figure that you have ;-P

About 1.5 days after I do sports, my zaps and electric head ramp up to a level that makes me completely non functional. The ramping up in symptoms lasts about a week. It's a striking parallel with sore muscles. They also usually start 1.5 days after I exercise and last about a week.

I know that when you exercise you "use up" (can't think of the correct term now) your muscles a bit and then afterwards your body overcompensates. Maybe this "using up" of energy, nutrients etc causes a lack of energy for maintaining the brain function. My pet theory at the moment is that withdrawal, among other things,  somehow causes mitochondrial dysfunction, so that the brain doesn't get enough energy and blood flow to maintain normal function. 

I'm so glad to have peer support. If I didn't have all this information from the Internet, my doctors might have eventually succeeded in trying to convince me that I'm just crazy and there's nothing wrong with me physically. Those ***** idiots. I still have trouble getting over my anger and outrage at the medical profession. 

Hope you're doing well. 

Laura

I think a lot about my microwaved head, electrical head, brain zaps, etc - probably because it's the main symptom that makes me feel like jumping off a cliff as a more humane alternative to living like this.  I continue to conclude that there's something fundamentally wrong with my cranial nerves.  If you look at some pictures of the trigeminal nerve and the cranial nerves, it seems fairly obvious to me that there's something wrong with their firing rates/signal transduction (obviously). 

I often wish I could dissect my own skull to take a look at my trigeminal nerve to see if there's some sort of demylenation occurring or something, something more tangible than this constant vibration/twitching, etc.

Here's some figures that illustrate the trigeminal nerves (and cranial nerves):

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1150&bih=557&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=trigeminal+nerve+&oq=trigeminal+nerve+&gs_l=img.3...3284.3284.0.3579.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.img..1.0.0.e9l3x3x2Q9U

When you exercise, you use up muscle blood sugar (glycogen) and damage the muscle fibers (delayed onset muscle sorness).  Glycogen doesn't take too terribly long to replete, something like 24 hours or so.  There's also a substantial release of epinephrine, cortisol, glucagon, etc, all related to mobilization of fatty acids, blood glucose, and sympathetic/parasympathetic tone (this is related to ventilation, cardiac output, shutting down digestive processes, kidney function, etc etc etc).   Most of this stuff just occurs reflexively without us realizing it when we exercise.   Overall, exercise produces a PROFOUND stress on the maintenance of homeostasis - so it's not surprising that if one or more components of this response are not working correctly, there could be some downstream challenges.

The skeletal muscles are all controlled by motor neurons, which are all connected to the CNS and controlled there - perhaps your nervous system fatigues much quicker than normal for one reason or another (if there's mitochrondiral damage as you suggest, then the neurons ability to obtain ATP may be limited, and therefore they would recover much much slower from firing repeated action potentials during exercise).

Here's an article on CNS fatigue, and sure enough serotonin and dopamine are part of that mechanism:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_nervous_system_fatigue

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9000155

That's the best supposition I could come up with in my terribly mentally enfeebled state, hope it was somewhat informative (it feels like I just poured hot coffee into my brain) :(

PS.  How do you create an in text link for something on this website?  I usually just clumsily place a link, but you know a secret that I do not :P