Laura1981: Stopped venlafaxine (Effexor) after 5 days on it. Do I need to taper to prevent lasting damage?

Laura1981

Hey Osk, 

sorry for the late answer. I'm crawling on my gums at the moment (this is a German expression, not sure if it applies to English). 

How are you doing at the moment? Is your wave better? Any more jobs came up? 

You also still have zaps? I don't know... I have the feeling the zaps are some kind of demyelination or damage. People with MS describe them too.

It's the main symptom that makes me feel like jumping off a cliff as a more humane alternative to living like this.

This is exactly my thinking. I've contemplating this almost every day for the last 10 months. We even have a couple of cliffs to choose from here. Although maybe I prefer our office building as a thanks for the burnout and the prescription for Venlafaxine from the company doctor. (Apologies for the dark sarcasm... I'm just in that mood). 

I also wish I could dissect my skull. I know someone who actually managed to have the slowed signal transduction of their optical nerves measured. So there is definitely something measurably damaged by withdrawal. 

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation as to what goes on when doing sports. I feel so violated. I was always a sports person and now it feels like rape to me to be glued to the couch, loosing all my fitness and becoming a vegetable. It hurts my pride so badly. 

Here's the secret about the text link: Select a text -> Click on the little link icon in the toolbar, enter the URL. Voila, a short link. 

Cheers, Laura

PS: I'm going to make carrot cake now. There has to be something positive to life. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Hey Osk, 

sorry for the late answer. I'm crawling on my gums at the moment (this is a German expression, not sure if it applies to English). 

How are you doing at the moment? Is your wave better? Any more jobs came up? 

You also still have zaps? I don't know... I have the feeling the zaps are some kind of demyelination or damage. People with MS describe them too.

It's the main symptom that makes me feel like jumping off a cliff as a more humane alternative to living like this.

This is exactly my thinking. I've contemplating this almost every day for the last 10 months. We even have a couple of cliffs to choose from here. Although maybe I prefer our office building as a thanks for the burnout and the prescription for Venlafaxine from the company doctor. (Apologies for the dark sarcasm... I'm just in that mood). 

I also wish I could dissect my skull. I know someone who actually managed to have the slowed signal transduction of their optical nerves measured. So there is definitely something measurably damaged by withdrawal. 

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation as to what goes on when doing sports. I feel so violated. I was always a sports person and now it feels like rape to me to be glued to the couch, loosing all my fitness and becoming a vegetable. It hurts my pride so badly. 

Here's the secret about the text link: Select a text -> Click on the little link icon in the toolbar, enter the URL. Voila, a short link. 

Cheers, Laura

PS: I'm going to make carrot cake now. There has to be something positive to life. 

Puppies

I did manage to secure a part time job 20 minutes from my home, it's kind of embarrassing but I'll be working in a deli - cutting meat, and things like that.  They decided to pay me $2 an hour more than baseline because of my credentials :blink:  

I'm not going to celebrate yet - I still have absolutely no idea how I'm going to function in the real world in my new altered state of existence.  So far I've had 3 interviews, and have been offered 3 jobs - so apparently I'm a fairly acceptable interviewer - I plan on going to numerous other interviews just to see how I function.  I'm sort of just slowly gauging my ability to function in the world as I slowly regain my ability to function.  these are menial jobs that require little or no previous skills - so that probably has a lot to do with it as well.

Not a fun process - but even during my worst days I seem to be doing better than I was just 3-4 months ago.

Overall I think that this is a process that really makes us ask the question:  do I really want to continue to exist like this?  It's a tough question and I think everyone has different reasons for hanging in there - perhaps some people just aren't affected too badly while others have family, or some deep seated desire to live no matter what - others are just too afraid of what will happen if they attempt to end it all.

Puppies!!! Puppies are always good! 

Congrats to the new job! I guess the deli job is just what you need. If you don't like it, you can just leave. It's not like an academic, well paid job that you can't loose under any circumstances. That would add a lot of stress. 

I was considering to go to an interview recently. I saw a job that was quite cool but probably wouldn't compare to my current job (which I might return to at some stage). So I could just go there and see if they would hire me, without ever planning to accept the job. 

I know what you mean by "not a fun process". Everything I'm able to do at the moment feels absolutely exhausting. Even making carrot cake is a major undertaking. It's ridiculous. 

Oh, I've asked myself the question "do I really want to continue to exist like this" a lot. The answer is no, not permanently. But since this condition seems to get better, I'm willing to give it some more time. I'm not sure how much yet. But for now I'll stick around and hope I'll be one of those people who are healed at 18 months. 

The other big factor is that of course a decision like that would devastate the ones closest to me. That's not really fair so if I can avoid that at all I will. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Moderator Emeritus

Overall I think that this is a process that really makes us ask the question: do I really want to continue to exist like this? It's a tough question and I think everyone has different reasons for hanging in there - perhaps some people just aren't affected too badly while others have family, or some deep seated desire to live no matter what - others are just too afraid of what will happen if they attempt to end it all.

Doesn't this question answer itself? By continuing to exist "like this" you have the chance to live "like that" where "that" is going out and getting a job -- however menial -- with the knowledge that as you continue to improve there will be another job and ultimately the one in academia you aspired to.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I thought I'd post an update. It's 11 months since my doctor poisoned me with Venlafaxine. 

I went home over Christmas to my family, which was pretty much a horror trip. Symptoms were very intense. Being around family stressed me a lot. I should probably not complain too much. At least most of my family agrees that my condition is 100% drug induced.

I'm much better than the first couple of months after the poisoning, but still way, way, way worse than I have ever been in my life before. I still have the electric head pretty much 24/7, although it sometimes reduces in intensity so much that I can do pretty normal stuff. 

The muscle spasms and partial-seizure-like events are better, don't happen as often anymore. I don't faint anymore and my heart problems (fluttering, palpitations, hyperventilating) are better. 

I started going to the gym recently. For the first time, going to the gym ramps up symptoms only moderately, so I decided I'm getting more benefits than harm from it. 

My emotional symptoms are much better than initially, I can stand up for myself again sometimes. I don't cry as much anymore even though I sometimes just break down. The suicidality is much better. Before I wanted to die so badly every single day. Now I'm still sick of this horror trip and sometimes think about checking out, but I don't crave death like I did before. 

I started taking Methyl B12 and Methylfolate after running 23andMe results through a thing called "Nutra-Hacker" and getting this recommendation. I'm not sure if I should believe "Nutra-Hacker" or not, as they don't really reveal the sources of the information and recommendations they give. But at least the supplementation doesn't seem to hurt. It does look like I'm a bit more stable since I started those supplements. Could be placebo though. Please don't try this at home ;-P 

I'm also moving home. It's so weird packing everything. I keep coming across things that remind me of my old, happy life. It makes me so sad to think about how much I lost because of a petty, little, drug dealing doctor who in a 5 minute consultation decided to prescribe one of the most toxic and addictive drugs on the market. It just makes me so angry. 

At the moment I don't have the power for doing activism. I really want to do something and I feel so guilty for having dropped fighting. I'm just so worn down by trying to write to all kinds of people and them not giving a sh***, not believing there's a problem or just pointing at other people to fix the issue. I hope I will soon get my energy back and keep going. I know this is a business where you have to take 100 failures before getting one mini success. 

I hope everyone is healing! 

Laura

You know laura . If i got normal again . I will punish the doctor who put me on this . I will make him suffer i swear . Ill force him to take meds and let him suffer .

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

I feel exactly the same legan. But once we are healed we'll have our precious live back. We don't want to risk doing anything illegal. :(

I read an article about revenge once (can't find it now). The article said that from people who actually took revenge, they learned that revenge doesn't alleviate the feelings of anger and hatred. They described it as though you are waiting for some kind of relief after you took revenge, but it never comes. 

I have yet to figure out a way to deal with these feelings of anger and hatred. I feel violated and raped by the doctors who poisoned me and then refused to believe me. 

My doctor told me to taper it over 3 weeks . Can you belive it !! I was smart . Syrong .healthy person . I made full checkup before taking tge meds and was fine . Now im weak cant take a shower cant make food breathless . Cant eat any thing i like . Cant drink other than herbs just watching tv . I was getting married . Now if i looked at woman ill panic cause my nervous system cant handle it.

Theres nothing legal in this meds or this process . This not treatment im scared to go even to ER ti not put any thing .

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laura, I recognize you from over at patient.info!  I was blown away by your story!  I'm still trying to direct people over here when they are trying to come off these meds but doing so in oh-so-dangerous-doctor-prescribed-fashion!  

Today someone said she was tired of the flatness, the lack of motivation etc. that ven had created after several years of use, but she had looked into tapering methods and didn't think she had it in her to do the slow taper, counting beads etc.  I referenced your story!  I told her, when this poison brings people to suicidal thoughts when you come off too fast, you don't have the luxury of feeling bothered by having to take it slow!  This is a dangerous game we are now in!

I'm sorry to see that your life is still so profoundly affected after all this time.  But, at least you've still got a bit of sense of humor intact, very necessary to survive this ordeal!

SG (Betsy)

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

@legan: I'm so sorry you're going through this. I was pretty much the same: Healthy, athletic, no health issues. These meds turned me into a complete wreck and the doctors keep blaming me for it. I've learnt how useless the medical profession is for most situations. I hope you'll recover soon, but be prepared it could take quite a while. 

@Betsy/SG:

Betsy! Great to know who you are on SA. I was always admiring the work that you do over there informing the people who are trying to come off their meds. You've already gained the status of an expert on patient.info. You're 100% right to tell people that they don't have the luxury to go fast. The injuries of a too fast taper are so severe and long lasting, it's simply not worth the risk. 

I still can't believe it myself that from 5 days of meds you can become so profoundly disabled. It blows my mind and I would never have thought it. But it is what it is. At least I learned a lot about the medical system and that might save my life or that of loved ones at some point in the future. 

I'll have to go and read your thread. I hope you're doing well and not suffering too much. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laura!  I admire your positive take on your experience!  But as you know, that's the only way forward, really, to work on the thinking, because if we stay mired in fear and negativity it only makes our experience worse.  I think that is the hardest thing to help people with!  Oh, having a sense of humor really helps, too, and I've noticed yours is intact LOL!

I am still  in that phase of wanting to help people avoid the hell that I have been through, and you, too, so I spend a good bit of time over on patient!  I feel successful in that I got Legan to come over here!  I am gradually reining myself in to only interact with those who are trying to come off.  I identify all the time people who have had failed attempts to come off but went back on because they "relapsed," when it is quite obvious that they were really having protracted withdrawal...but that energy is not as well spent.

I was surprised when someone wrote "I was told to talk to you." I hope someday to have the knowledge base of our mods here so that I can aid people in this horrible predicament, perhaps as a profession of some kind.  Even on a volunteer basis, it is very rewarding.  I have been searching for meaning in my life, for my passion - what am I supposed to be doing?  I never had a clue what kind of career I should have.  I feel like this journey is helping me dial in on my purpose, and that is a positive!

I'm glad to have run into you here, Laura!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was surprised when someone wrote "I was told to talk to you." I hope someday to have the knowledge base of our mods here so that I can aid people in this horrible predicament, perhaps as a profession of some kind.  Even on a volunteer basis, it is very rewarding.  I have been searching for meaning in my life, for my passion - what am I supposed to be doing?  I never had a clue what kind of career I should have.  I feel like this journey is helping me dial in on my purpose, and that is a positive!

Not to hijack Laura's thread, SG, but as "one of those mods" be confident that your knowledge base is extremely high and you should feel comfortable helping the people you are helping.  I love what you wrote about finding meaning and that helping others is a big part of that.  You should be very proud of where you are in this journey.

Laura, 

Been a while since we've spoken and I'm sorry that you are still suffering so after such limited exposure.  While I admire your sense of humor and philosophical nature about it, if you won't say it, I will:

"IT'S NOT FAIR THAT YOU GOT HIT IN THIS WAY AFTER SUCH A SHORT TIME!"

Of course, I wish none of our SA family was dealing with this crap (me included) but your case seems so egregious.

I can only hope that you will see a reversal and significant improvement in the near term.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

@SG: I think you're doing your work on Patient.info really well. You address people in exactly the right tone so that they don't think you're lecturing them but they can be sure you know what you're talking about. I really admire that. 

Maybe you really found your purpose. I was sometimes thinking that too... maybe my purpose is contributing to the fight against those horror drugs. I did all kinds of activism, wrote to all kinds of people. But at the moment I just feel low and have no energy left to fight. 

I have some ideas though: Writing a book about the people who had their lives ruined by antidepressants or setting up a German equivalent to RxIsk.org. I hope I'll get my energy back to do either of them. 

@Andy:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was exactly what I needed to hear. It's really not fair that for a minor lapse in judgement I am punished in hell for over a year.

One of the major learnings from this experience: Life isn't fair. We have to be very careful who we trust, especially if they are doctors. 

I've tried extensively to blame myself for this disaster: "I should have found the leaflet online and read it", "I shouldn't have trusted the doctor", "I shouldn't have over-used cortisone nasal spray, then I wouldn't have needed the antidepressant".... but in the end, it's not my fault. It's just life... **** happens. And I do blame the doctor. After all he prescribed me a drug with several fatal side effects and warnings written all over without telling me anything. 

Hugs to you both, Laura

• Moderator Emeritus

Hugs back to you, Laura, and thank you for the vote of confidence, Andy!  If I can say that there is anything good to come of having to be here, it is that I have had the joy of meeting such wonderful people as the two of you!

And I second what Andy wrote about it not being fair, Laura - I could just scream that out!  I do think we learn so much about ourselves and life through ending up here.  Laura, I admire you for trying so hard before.  It's like we go through this flurry of activity fueled by our outrage, but it is unsustainable.  So, after re-cooping our energy, we can march forward in a more sustainable way :-)

I will do my best to help the new folks get started here.  But for now, I am getting off the couch and tackling a few things outside that need doing, happy to be able to say that!

Have a beautiful day, or what's left of it, Andy and Laura!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

@Andy:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was exactly what I needed to hear. It's really not fair that for a minor lapse in judgement I am punished in hell for over a year.

Laura,

Not to beat a dead horse but listening to your GP hardly falls into the "lapse in judgment" category -- at least based on what you knew at that time.  If we all knew then what we know now...

DON'T beat yourself up at all.  You did nothing wrong.  And blaming the GP is a waste of energy.  Use it for healing.

Best,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Laura. I alo suffered an adverse reaction after only 7 20mg prozac.

I'm currently at nearly 3 months out , and really struggling. Is there any hope ,are you any better.

Thanks. Rich.

Opiates 18 months 2010 to 2012

Prozac 12 months 2012 to 2013

Prozac 7 doses of prozac late November 2015.

Adverse reaction on the 7th dose.

Stopped cold turkey on the last week in November 2015.

Immediately suffering from acute w/d.

Severe insomnia, anxiety, burning head.

Doctor prescribed propranolol for anxiety, adrenaline rushes.

Propranolol 10mg 4× a day.

Nearly 3 months after reaction, new symptoms include,

Awful insomnia,burning head.waves of depression and suicide ideation.

Two months off .and im hoping to find hope.

I just started to belive more in god and how things are meant to be .

God please please we want our selfs back.

• 2 months later...

Hello Laura, thank you for your nice words left on my thread. You are always so supportive, especially when I lost my job, I was very grateful to you and Ali. You are already 11 months off Venlafaxine? I think that is great. I am sure that it will already start to be better. Most people have turning point at ca 1 year out. I like also that you are activist in your soul. I would also so much like to do many good things, but at the same time I am also afraid to step out for example by trial and say everything what they have done to me. It is maybe also because our local courts are very unefficient and I have never been hero. But inspite of all this I think I have to do something, as it is not ok if these doctors are not opposed and continue prescribing these toxins to other innocent people.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi Everyone, 

apologies that I haven't answered all your posts yet. I've been struggling with motivation to do ANYTHING a lot recently, it's so bad that it's even hard to answer posts and keep in touch with people. It angers me because I was always an energetic person. 

@Roxyrich: So sorry you had an adverse reaction too. I hope you're feeling better already. I am 14 months after the first pill of Effexor and a little over 12 months after the failed reinstatement. It's tough but I see very small improvements. Keep going! 

@legan: I hope you're ok. How are you doing? 

@Martina: Thanks so much for stopping by. I think my activist soul was born from med induced hypomania that I had along with all the other horrendous symptoms. My mind was racing all the time. Now it seems like my mind fell into hibernation and just won't wake the h*** up. I have trouble to get anything done. I'm still trying to sue my GP. I know I should use the energy for healing, but since there's not much to do in healing other than wait and I'm so incredibly angry, I'll try anyway. 

Happy healing to everyone! 

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Laura, thank you for your post on my thread. I had today a horrible day, almost constant crying, but I think it is most hopelesness, that nothing is changing and I feel nuts and I never know if I will stay sane in another minute. And I dont know if it is really true, that we will heal. My friends say that I can not conclude from literature for benzos that it applies also for the Lyrica, but there are no forums for Lyrica and I feel so lonely with these intrusive thoughts. Tomorrow I have to go to one company to make one balance so that they see my work but at most I would like to stay at home. In this state I would like to avoid company if possible. I feel so crazy in my head and this constant fear that I go crazy, terrible. How is it with you? What are you doing most days, are you still bedridden or is it already better and you can go strolling in the city? I asked for my papers from the psychiatrical doctor to check if I signed any consent for this medication, I was also so angry what they wrote about me. I had before pain in the genital area after caesarian delivery so therefore I went to the hospital where they persuaded me to go on Lyrica but in the papers it is written I had psychosomatic pain disorder (somatoforme Schmerzstörung) and therefore they gave me Lyrica. What assholes. Noone really took time to check if there is nothing grown together or some other problem, just threw meds on me and diagnosed me when I only came to the door. This is a nightmare for me. Did you do something with this suing? I did not. I am still afraid to sue when I still have symptoms. There are so many stupid people in the trials and I dont want to run risk that they will give more meds on me.How is it now in Ireland? Do you live somewhere near the sea? It is already quite sunny here.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi Martina, 

thanks so much for stopping by my thread! 

I think the constant crying is a symptom. I had that a lot, but now I only rarely have it anymore. Today I had it. It feels like it's hopelessness, but by the fact that it varies so much day by day, I conclude that it's a symptom. Otherwise it should be there all the time, shouldn't it? 

You're right that there aren't many people who have been on Lyrica, but in my mind, these drugs all work in a similar way (stimulating GABA in this case), so I would hope healing is a similar process. But of course noone knows for sure. 

I understand your desire to be alone. I'm the same. Because I am not the same person I used to be, I don't feel like being with my friends. I feel like they don't understand and it's no fun to hang out with happy, smiley people while I'm constantly in pain. 

I'm luckily not bedridden anymore. Luckily throughout this whole nightmare I could go out and do stuff when I needed to, despite having muscle spasms, dizziness, horrible pain etc, etc. 

Now what bothers me mostly is still the brain zaps. It feels like I'm constantly shocked in the head and eyes with an electro shocker. All day long, every couple of seconds. Sometimes the zaps stop for half an hour or so, but they always come back. It's so painful and annoying. 

I'm trying to sue my doctor, but it will be very difficult, risky and potentially expensive. I'm also not talking to my doctors or the solicitors about my mental symptoms like suicidality etc, for fear of being detained and medicated. I only talk about my physical symptoms. I guess suing would be more tricky for you because you mainly have mental symptoms, right? 

I would be very angry as well if I were you. Somatoforme Schmerzstörung my a***... How do those idiotic doctors dare to just label everyone as mentally ill, just because they are too lazy or too incompetent to find out the real cause of a problem. It's really beyond me. 

I live near the sea, but I rarely go there because it's usually cold and winy. But I should go more often. I bet it would distract me. I still can't go to work, so I don't have many things to do. 

Have a great day, glad the dentist went well! 

Laura

Laura, and how are you today? I was today shopping in such a big store for household things, but I had there today quite strong intrusive thoughts, I am a bit disappointed that it takes so long and still no change. For the worse, yes, there is a lot change, but for the better, no way.

symptoms OCD

So sorry to hear you still have those thoughts Martina. It's so frustrating that so much time goes by without a change.

I wish there was something we could do. I told my doctor the other day: "If I would heal by walking in a circle for 12 hours day I would totally do it". 

My day was pretty bad to be honest. I have so many brain zaps that I can't focus on anything. I went to a self defense class. I booked the course and missed half of the classes because I felt bad.

But today I went there. I have to interact with people. I find it really hard. I feel like something in my brain is really messed up. I always get upset for stupid reasons and can't really interact normally with people. I had the same when I visited some friends or when I went to see my family at Christmas. I just can't deal with people. I prefer to be on my own or with my partner. How sad is that? I use to be sociable, always with people... and now this. 

Self- defence class sounds really good. What are you learning there? These japanese fighting sports? I think it is very good for distraction and also for learning good breathing.

symptoms OCD

It's called "Krav Maga". It's really interesting. I think it's especially good for women (but also of course for men). You don't need a lot of strength of fitness to use it and you don't need to practice for years and years. You get the basics quite fast. I've done martial arts all my life, but this is the first time I feel something would really help me in case of emergency. 

• 1 month later...

Hello Laura, sorry to write you so late, but I was so much concentrating on fighting with EMA, that I forgot everything else. It is so nice that you support me so much. How are you? Maybe you could also ask by your country how you could let your case proved outside the court. Because then you would not have such big costs and what I read most of the sues in US with drugs withdrawal goes outside the court. I still havent recovered. I make myself reproaches why did I take it. I was from the beginning against, but there were so many doctors and everybody was persuading me and I thought maybe I should believe them. But it was not a good idea. I changed also. Now I dont believe to many things. Then I tell somewhere my opinions and everybody is schocked. That is life. Take care and write me when you have time.

symptoms OCD

Hi Martina, 

thanks a lot for stopping by my thread. I admire that you're also fighting with the EMA. I had nasty email exchanges with them. They don't give a sh*** about patients who report side effects. 

I wrote to them that their leaflets regarding antidepressants are incomplete and misleading. They don't care. I think we really have to found a patient's rights organization and make pressure on them together with the media. If we write as individuals, they don't care at all. 

Settling a claim outside of court is better than going to court. Going to court is very, very expensive. I'm still trying to claim against my doctor, but it's very difficult. I have no idea what the outcome will be.

I'm sorry to hear you're still bad. I am too. I have electric shocks in the head constantly, I'm sweating again like crazy, my nervous system is very easily irritated. One little noise and I'm in fight and flight mode.  

I'm also very annoyed with myself. I can't believe I fell for this propaganda b***s*** of the pharma companies and took this horror medicine. I can't believe I didn't research more before taking it. I really don't know what I was thinking. I also can't believe I trusted my doctor. I never trusted doctors. Why did I trust this one?? But really, it was much less our fault than the fault of the doctors. They are the professionals. If they don't know how can we? 

I also have very radical opinions about medicine now. I wrote a not saying that I am allergic to all medication in my wallet and that I don't consent to getting any medication. In case of emergency. 

There is one Czech doctor who said when there were these doctor strikes in Venezuela and China lately (you know the doctors did not go to the work) that the mortality numbers in the country decreased of 50% on that days, ha, ha, ha.

It is crazy.

But which human rights organization do you mean? There was some organization which protested against that the prisoners are behind this metal "draht"- I dont know the English word. I will check which one was it.

symptoms OCD

I think it was "Amnesty international". Do you know some other coming into question?

symptoms OCD

Because really patient organisation I dont know any, this was human rights organization. But if Dr. Healy or Breggin writes back I can also ask if he knows some.But maybe also human rights organisation would do it, we have to ask.

symptoms OCD

I wrote to Amnesty international, lets see how they react :-)

symptoms OCD

I wrote to a bunch of human rights organizations as well. They don't seem to care much about the problem. I think we need to found our own association. 

Laura, basically I am not against grounding our own association. We are both in EU. Where do you want to ground it? But, in case that we ground one, our first task will be to find one attorney (Jurist) and ideally also one medical doctor - a psychiatrist at best who would do it with us. What do you think? I think we could finance it based on donations (Spenden).

symptoms OCD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Martina, 

sorry for the late answer. I was in Germany, for some doctor visits. My eye doctor found that my muscle twitches can be triggered if you flash light in my eyes, now she thinks it's seizures.

I was thinking about in which country to found our organization, but got very confused about the different rules and regulations. 

It could be an "Eingetragener Verein" in Germany or I could register it in Ireland, but it would depend on where the other members live as well. Maybe we just get started informally and find the right place to register the organization later. 

I think to begin with we don't need a lot of money, but later we can be funded from donations and the income from advertising in our web presence. Would you be interested in getting together to think a bit how to get this started? 

Hope you are doing well! 

Laura

Laura, sure, someone had also an idea to give a petition on charge.org. What do you think about it?

Since I got the carbocaine shot by dentist, I feel actually not so well. Most symptoms already went away but intrusive thought are at their peak. Today I got such ideas that I thought maybe I get delusional. This whole is such a nightmare. I hope that my brain can not fall into psychosis after one year off. But I am not so sure about anything anymore.

I would not really count on info from that doctor.Because if she sees it as seizures, surely she will prescribes you either benzos or Lyrica, antiseizure medicine, and you are going again down the rabbit hole.

symptoms OCD

I think a petition is a great idea. Should definitely be one of the first points of action if we do an organization. 

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling so well (I haven't managed to read any threads in the last weeks, so I wasn't up to date). It's so terrible that we're now so sensitive to all kinds of medications and can't even go to the dentist without fear. 

I don't think you will fall into psychosis. You seem to be very aware of your thoughts. I was always thinking that by definition we're not aware of psychosis. I had some psychotic thoughts after my adverse reaction. I was partially aware of them. I was aware in clear moments, but not in others. 

The eye doctor luckily is also a doctor of "Naturheilkunde". She said not to take any anti-seizure medications. She said I could take some natural detox drops, but I won't take them because likely I'm hypersensitive to those to.