Mcc2929 - Tapering Cymbalta

mcc2929

My prescribing doctor (a doctor in psychiatric nursing) is supportive of coming off of the Cymbalta and is recommending a taper of 10% of current dose/week. I am on 60mg, so this will take me approximately 9 months. After reading the posts in the forums, I am now feeling nervous that this will be too fast. I would be willing to do the 10% decrease every month if it weren't for wanting to try to have a baby. I do not want to carry a baby while taking Cymbalta. I am 32 now and would like to be able to start trying in a year. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I'm trying to be positive, but realistic.

Fall 1998, age 15, prescribed Zoloft

Various other medications, tried coming off multiple times (mostly cold turkey) but was put back on due to misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms

Fall 2013 60mg Cymbalta & .5mg lorazepam

Fall 2014 60mg cymbalta & half of .5 mg tablet of lorazepam nightly for sleep and as needed for anxiety attacks (which was really misdiagnosed protracted withdrawal)

Gradually weaned myself off of lorazepam throughout September and October 2014

March 15, 2015     .21g     (actual weight of granules in single 60mg dose, without capsule)

March 16, 2015     .189g   (10% decrease)

March 24, 2015     .17g     (10% decrease)

March 25, 2015     .18g     (5% increase)

April 8, 2015          .171g   (5% decrease)

Daily Supplements: 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega soft gels, 1 Whole Foods 2000 ius vitamin D, 1 Bluebonnet B-Complex 100, Bluebonnet Magnesium Citrate (400-500mg/day)

After coming down with the flu two weeks ago, I took NyQuil. What happened was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in my life. I fell asleep after taking the NyQuil, but woke up abruptly around two and a half hours later. I felt incredibly nauseous and tried to get up to go to the bathroom. What I found was that I couldn't move.

I felt like I was sending the message to move my limbs and trunk, but the message wasn't getting there. I had all of these thoughts but the only thing I could get out was "I can't take that." I felt like I was in a dream, and everything seemed slow and far away. My mother had to sit me up in bed and support me to the bathroom, where I vomited. I then could no longer hold myself up and wound up laying on the bathroom floor.

On my way down to the floor, my hearing went, felt like I was in a tunnel, and my vision went blurry and dimmed. As I was laying on the floor I was aware of how labored and slow my breath was, still feeling like I was in a tunnel. I knew my blood pressure had to be extremely low, and I was very very scared. Still, the only thing I could say was "I can't take that." I crawled back to bed. My husband came home from work and had to carry me to the car.

By the time we got to the EMO I was a little more coherent. The doctor at the EMO did not know anything about the interaction between Cymbalta and NyQuil, even after I explained multiple times that I knew what I was feeling was different from the flu that I had been sick with before I took the NyQuil. I said multiple times that I was having an adverse reaction. I explained multiple times that I was on Cymbalta and had taken NyQuil.

They should have immediately sent me to the emergency room. However, after still feeling off one week later even after the flu was gone, my husband found the information on the link below. When we read what could have happened, it was even scarier. I am very thankful to say that my body knew to wake up and throw up, and I believe I am fully recovered with no signs of any permanent damage. I am posting this hoping that others will read this and know to not mix these two drugs. Below is a link that describes the interaction.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cymbalta-with-vicks-nyquil-multi-symptom-949-2273-53-2484.html

Various other medications, tried coming off multiple times (mostly cold turkey) but was put back on due to misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms

Fall 2014 60mg cymbalta & half of .5 mg tablet of lorazepam nightly for sleep and as needed for anxiety attacks (which was really misdiagnosed protracted withdrawal)

March 15, 2015     .21g     (actual weight of granules in single 60mg dose, without capsule)

Daily Supplements: 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega soft gels, 1 Whole Foods 2000 ius vitamin D, 1 Bluebonnet B-Complex 100, Bluebonnet Magnesium Citrate (400-500mg/day)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thankyou for sharing this mcc2929.   It's quite terrifying what can happen once our systems are sensitized.

I recommend putting any new medication/natural supplement , into the interactions checker at www.drugs.com before taking it.

It would be great if you would start your own thread in Introductions , so all your info. is in one place and we can understand your journey.

Welcome aboard , good to have you here.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

p.s. If you click FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MCC, welcome to SA. I moved your post to introductions, it will be seen by more people here and will be your journal. 

It is great that your doctor is recommending cutting 10% of the current dose, most doctors recommend tapers that take weeks and almost always lead to disaster! 

Sadly though you are right to be cautious as weekly cuts are too often and the brain doesn't have time to adjust between cuts, withdrawal can hit weeks after stopping, or even months in some cases. I am not trying to scare you but want to give you all the information before you start your taper. It would be better for you to take the extra time to taper before trying for a baby so that you are less likely to suffer withdrawal at such an exciting and important time in your life. 

Here is our topic on tapering cymbalta. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Why taper 10% http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The 3 KIS http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help us if you could fill out a signature for us, we ask all our members to do this, you can find details how to do that here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Nyquil, it must have been very frightening for you! Many drugs interact with ADs in 

ways that are very dangerous but there are no warnings on packs, what's more,  pharmacists and doctors are not aware of the dangers either!

In these days of technology there should be software that flags up interactions when a doctor prescribes drugs but sadly there doesn't seem to be any such software in place. Pharmacies should also be aware so they can advise people who are buying over the counter drugs. I'm glad that you are recovered now

and have no lasting damage. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Mcc -  welcome!

I know MammaP didn't say this, but we recommend 3 weeks between tapers.

32 is not so old - and it would be better to take longer, so that you are healthier when you try to get pregnant.  Rushing a taper is like forcing a bud to open into a flower - it just ruins the bud, and the flower, too.

By holding 3 weeks between each taper, your brain has a chance to reset.  It is like you have a Cymbalta finger in your brain, wiggling around.  If you rip it all out quickly, your brain goes haywire, causing symptoms that are difficult to endure, much less recover from.  The 3 week taper (or even 4, if you can stand it) allows your brain to adjust so that you can do it again, when you are feeling "in balance" again.

Additionally, the longer taper, and the holds - allow you to live.  If you have a stressful job, or move house, or family illness or trouble, or even if you get the flu - you hold through the crisis, and taper when you have room in your life for more wobbly again.

This is like the rabbit and the hare.  You see the finish line, and want to rush to it.  But a rabbit/rapid taper can make you so sick that you lay by the path and can't even move at all.  The turtle, slow and steady, wins the race.  And it may take a year or more longer than your plan - but it is a healthy, and well tested approach.

Your little Nyquil accident is just a taste of what could be waiting for you if you taper too fast.  Wouldn't you rather be in charge?  You believe that this fast taper is being in charge, but it's a quick path to a derailment.  Maybe you will go ahead with your current plan - and then, in 3 months time, you will look back and re-read your thread, and wish you'd done it the turtle way.

Wishing you turtle blessings, J

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks Fresh, mammaP, and JanCarol. I am happy to have found this forum! After being on antidepressants for so long, and now realizing the multiple and varied areas of my life and health that have been effected, I am so eager to come off.

I am going to try every week. If I begin to get symptoms I will slow it down. I've tried to come off of Cymbalta twice before, and dealt with severe withdrawal symptoms, so I am aware of what begins to happen with my body and what to look for.

Also, the NyQuil issue was induced by the reaction between two drugs which is different from what occurs when I get withdrawal symptoms. From what my doctors have said, the NyQuil and Cymbalta passed through the blood brain barrier, and could have caused a stroke.

Does anyone know of any success stories of people coming down 10%/week?

I have a long history with antidepressants. I began typing it all out, but got overwhelmed. So I'm going to keep it short to start. I have been on various antidepressants for 17 years, first being prescribed at age 15. There were times when I have been polydrugged. I also have a neck injury that has been complicating some of my symptoms - a chicken or the egg kind of thing (Cymbalta or neck injury? Probably both). I also began modifying my diet two years ago, and that put myself into a state of chronic fatigue. I am sick of being sick. I have tried to come off of antidepressants many times before, only to have the withdrawal symptoms be used as rationale for why I needed to continue on medication. I am feeling an immediacy to getting off of the Cymbalta since I feel that more than half my life has been complicated by use of antidepressants.

I see a therapist weekly for cognitive behavioral therapy. I go to physical therapy, chiropractor, and accupuncturist three times/week. This taper was recommended and is being supervised by my prescribing physician, a doctor of psychiatric nursing. Have been watching Robert Whitaker youtube talks, and began reading Peter Breggin's books Your Drug May Be Your Problem and Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal.

I take a plant-based multi-vitamin, 2000mg Vitamin D, 1280mg Omega-3, and turmeric root daily.

These are the side effects I believe I have from taking Cymbalta for 7 years (and antidepressants for 17):

- brain fog

- muscle tension, especially in the neck, jaw, and shoulders

- bruxism (nightly teeth clenching)

- edema of the thighs, calves, ankles, and feet

- apathy

- daily akathisia around 11:00am

- incontinence

- feeling disconnected from my body and from others

I began tapering down from 60mg Cymbalta on March 16 with a 10% decrease. I am planning on doing a 10% decrease each week. This will take me approximately 9 months.

I am thankful to have found this place!

Welcome

Sorry to hear you are have difficulty with wds as many of us here are going through the same symptoms.

There will be others joining in to help you out.

This forum suggests 10% cuts /monthly to minimize wds.

Please read the taper section.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mcc,

Welcome.  I joined your new introduction topic with your original one, its one intro/update topic per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

As others have mentioned, we suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.   Its possible that you may be able to taper faster than this, but starting out carefully will give you the opportunity to find out how your body responds to the decreases.  Sometimes it can take several weeks for the full effect of a dosage reduction to become evident and if you have made more cuts in the mean time, you could possibly experience severe withdrawal symptoms quite suddenly. 

Because of your long history, I really do recommend considering a more cautious approach at first. I was on various drugs for about 13 years (see my signature)  and came off too fast.  I'm still in protracted withdrawal. I wish I had taken it much more slowly.  But of course this is your decision and as you have mentioned, if you start experiencing symptoms, you will take notice and slow down, this is good.  We will be here to offer support regardless.

Thank you for filling in your signature.  It would be helpful if you would add in some details, if possible of your medication history before cymbalta.  Are you currently taking any other medication?  What dose of cymbalta are you taking at the moment?

Do stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia,

Before one week ago, I was on 60 mg of Cymbalta, and not taking any other medication. I was on lorazepam for sleeping and as needed for approximately a year. I was on .5mg tablet. I have one of those "sensitive systems" that seems so common on this forum! I weaned myself off of it this past fall 2014. I haven't taken lorazepam since October 2014. This also coincided with beginning to get upper cervical chiropractic care for my neck injury. I had (have) an acute subluxation that was pinching off my nervous system at the base of my skull. I also had (have) no curvature left in the neck portion of my spine. As the care progressed, I began to feel markedly less anxiety, and the feeling of needing to take the lorazepam reduced. It was at this time that I began to realize that the Cymbalta may be hindering my progress, and started researching the less publicized effects of the drug. That research led me to this forum!

I appreciate your input, and think I will add more about history little by little. It's a lengthy one, and when I hit three paragraphs and was only on year 4, I got overwhelmed and decided to save it for later.

What was your taper like? I know you said it was too fast. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do. What symptoms do you still experience in protracted withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mcc2929 ,    during 2013 I tapered too fast from Cymbalta.    

I was essentially alright until about 6 months after my last dose , see my intro. , post 1.    After 6 months severe , new symptoms set in.  It's called "protracted withdrawal syndrome".

I'm with JanCarol on recommending a more cautious approach.   You may get very , very sick decreasing weekly.  It can be like living in an

adverse reaction to Nyquil for month after month.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Is there a way to change the name of my intro topic so that my journal

Isn't titled "NyQuil and Cymbalta?" I had originally posted the NyQuil topic in the self care area.

So today was my first day at .17 mg. This morning I began feeling withdrawal symptoms. Difficulty focusing my eyes, feeling of imbalance, dry mouth, tingling lips, tingling fingers and hands, increased anxiety, and depressed mood, increased heart rate, foggy brain, and difficulty paying attention and focusing. I know these symptoms well from the other times I've tried to come off. The symptoms have slightly improved. This morning I began considering going home from work but decided to push on through. Feeling discouraged. Feeling angry and frustrated that this stuff has caused me so many problems for so many years. I'm doing a lot of self talk. I'm strong, I've made it through before. I know what this is. I know I'm not going crazy. Feeling conflicted about what to do next.

• Moderator Emeritus

SLOW DOWN! Going so fast can only end badly!  You are having withdrawal now and need to stabilise.  I was eager too and my taper took a year. I went too fast and crashed big time, had to reinstate and restart my taper. For a year I was having windows and waves of withdrawal even after reinstating but milder than before reinstating.  It then took another 2 years to taper just 1mg, and all because I just wanted off like you do now. It really is worth taking the time and cutting 10% of the current dose with at least 4 weeks between cuts, you will be more likely then taper safely and with minimal symptoms. 

Hold where you are now and give your brain chance to stabilise, when you have been stable for 4 weeks then you will be ok to restart tapering.  We all want off the drugs, and want off them NOW, but it really is worth being patient in the end. 

Take a look at Rhi's post about tapering, she has put it so beautifully and in a way that makes it easy to understand.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=89767

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for responding, MammaP. I will slow down. I don't want that to be the solution. I really badly want there to be a solution that is anything other than that. The only thing equally upsetting is the idea that I would need to stay on medication. I guess I'm still in denial even after 17 years on this (expletive). Reminding myself of the light at the end of the tunnel. And that my life while withdrawing isn't something to squander. Still feeling disheartened and very frustrated.

Withdrawal symptom update 3/24/15

Felt a huge decrease in symptoms by 7:00pm following physical therapy and chiropractor. Anxiety, brain fog, feeling like I'm in a dream, rapid heart rate, eye focusing difficulties almost completely gone. Tingly lips a lot less tingly. Still very thirsty with cottonmouth.

Fatigue yet nervous/restless with rumbly intestines at 9pm

Didn't sleep well last night. Woke up with really bad night sweats. I get night sweats normally but not this extreme to where I have to get up and change my clothes because they're soaked through. I forgot to mention night sweats in my list of side effects. Also just woke up a bunch with restless legs and feet. Kept having to move my right foot up and down. Went up to 5% decrease at the recommendation of my doctor. So now I'm down 5% instead of 10% from last week. Began feeling increase in anxiety, tightness in my chest, imbalance, and foggy/dreamlike with dry mouth and difficulty concentrating at around 10:30. This is normally when the side effects began to kick in when I was on the full 60 so I'm guessing that this is when my body is metabolizing the medication (and when my body starts metabolizing and realizing that there's not as much of it as there used to be!). I take my meds and vitamins at around 7:30 every morning. Hoping that staying on this dose for a few weeks will lessen these withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

Welcome, mcc.

I am sorry you are experiencing this difficulty. It certainly sounds like you have had adverse effects from the drug as long as you've been on it. It's unfortunate that none of your doctors recognized these adverse effects.

Your long history with psychiatric drugs indicates you will, indeed, have to be very careful coming off Cymbalta.

How many beads of Cymbalta have you been taking out via your weighing method?

You may find this tapering method more tolerable Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto. I'm not sure how many beads as I've only been weighing. It seems like each bead weighs approximately .001mg. But the weight of the beads in one capsule does not weigh 60mg. I think it's because each bead is enterically coated? Just a guess.

I am going to stay at my current dose for now until I'm feeling more stable. Talked to my doctor, who suggested this. Who can I message to add her info to the list of supportive doctors? She has been really amazing throughout this whole process.

It looks like that micro taper might be a good solution. I'm trying not to jump the gun with a plan right now. Gonna see how the next week or so feels.

Thank you =)

Slept better last night. Woke up once with night sweats. Woke up this morning with headache. I think I was clenching in my sleep because my jaw is sore. Staying at .18mg today - a 5% decrease from last week.

• Administrator

Sounds like a little improvement. Adverse effects should decline as dosage decreases. The trick is to avoid withdrawal symptoms as well.

To recommend a doctor, you may add a post to this topic Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yesterday was remarkably better. I switched out the multivitamin back to Bcomplex. I'd been trying the multi, but decided that the individual vitamins feel better. Nausea, foggy far away feeling (to be honest and completely blunt, this feeling is most like smoking a lot of marijuana and then realizing that you smoked too much marijuana. Side note, I haven't smoked any marijuana in a year and a half. And even then it was very infrequent), random anxiety, and agitation until around noon. By four o'clock I was feeling almost no withdrawals. Chiropractor, physical therapy, acupuncture, and cupping helped enormously again. Was able to engage in conversation with my husband, laugh, talk with my mom on the phone, drive my daughter to play practice, and eat two servings of dinner (one of the withdrawal symptoms is that my appetite goes WAY down). I did all of this without feeling like I was "pushing through" the symptoms and forcing myself to not just lay down. I felt so relaxed that I fell asleep at around 7:30 no problem. I got to catch up on my missed sleep. I woke up three times but that was because my dog was trying to get in the bed and under the covers. Went right back to sleep no problem. No crazy dreams. Gonna stay at this dose for at least another few days. Feeling hopeful =)

Yesterday was a good day. I felt some vertigo and weak legs, but was able to do some laundry, work on some reports for work, take my daughter and her friends to the movies, and hang out with friends last night. Then last night I stayed up until midnight playing cards, ate a bunch of cookies, and didn't sleep very well. Today has not been a good day. Nausea, decreased appetite, extreme weakness, that thing where you eyes can't focus after movement, and depression. Lots of depression. Lots of crying. My appetite is way down. Anything I drink goes right through me, I have to pee often and it feels like an emergency every time! But I'm so thirsty with dry-mouth, that I keep drinking water. Just spent a lot of time looking at youtube videos of people withdrawing from cymbalta that made me feel not so alone and crazy. Read some things on beyondmeds that only made me feel hopeless that I will ever be off and ok without permanent damage. Probably the worst and most upsetting things are the violent thoughts. I am an animal lover. I am a caring and compassionate person. I work with children with special needs. I don't kill bugs because I feel bad afterward. I have always been this way. That's why they're so upsetting. Because I know they're not me, and I just don't want my brain to get stuck that way. The pilot flying the plane into the ground in France isn't helping. I don't want to feel like I'm scary. I don't want to be scared of myself. Hoping that this bad day is because I didn't go to bed at my usual 9:00 o'clock last night, ate totally chemically ridden super sweet cookies, and might just be feeling one of those low waves. Tomorrow will be better. Going to get some more reports done for work tomorrow.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mcc ,  that's 4 better days and 1 bad one.  Hoping things continue to improve for you.      :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't pay any attention to those awful thoughts MCC, they are not yours and you will not act on them if you don't swell on them You know they aren't you, they are nothing like you. Laugh at them, as if you would do that, tell them to get lost or whatever phrase fits and think about something else, anything, what you need to do next, the spiderweb on the ceiling,  how the door creaks when it opens. You get the idea?  Having those thoughts are not you so don't beat yourself up over them.

This wave will pass and a window will open, I hope it is soon.

2002  effexor. 

Thanks, Fresh. I appreciate the kind words. I also checked out the website in your signature. Dr. Lucire seems to be one of those good doctors we need so many more of!

Had a rough night, only slept for an hour or two at a time. Staying home from work today. Nauseous, shaky, balance is off, very weak legs. Ate some candied ginger, and that's helping the nausea. Hoping that a day of resting and sleeping will help get things back on track. Going to make sure I eat right today, also! Still staying at .18g.

Don't pay any attention to those awful thoughts MCC, they are not yours and you will not act on them if you don't swell on them You know they aren't you, they are nothing like you. Laugh at them, as if you would do that, tell them to get lost or whatever phrase fits and think about something else, anything, what you need to do next, the spiderweb on the ceiling,  how the door creaks when it opens. You get the idea?  Having those thoughts are not you so don't beat yourself up over them.

This wave will pass and a window will open, I hope it is soon.

Thank you so much, mammaP. I guess you really get to know yourself at your core through this. Those thoughts are ludicrous! And I will tell them so. And I will think that any drug that creates this kind of symptom when coming off of it is certainly no drug I want to be on.

• 2 weeks later...

Magnesium citrate supplements have been amazing for mood and anxiety. Have also helped with sleep as my system stabilized from last dosage drop.

Felt pretty good for about a week. Increased energy, decreased off balance feeling, sleeping well, mood up and anxiety way down.

Did a 5% dosage decrease on the 8th. Dry mouth and foggy by night of 8th. Trouble sleeping that night. Some night sweats. Felt decreased appetite this morning (hungry but then thought of food is nausea inducing). Took it slow and ate banana and 2 plain toasted waffles. Today felt foggy and off balance and a little irritable but tolerable. Easily fatigued. Ate a lot of candied ginger mid day. Appetite increaesed throughout the day and ate a large lunch and average dinner. Went to chiro, accu, and PT and left feeling really good. Foggy and dizzy decreased and energy back.

Trouble sleeping tonight. Forgot to take magnesium before bed. Rash on legs and torso: itchy and red large blotches and slightly swollen. So far minimal-moderate physical symptoms and minimal psychological symtpoms.

Will wait until this stabilizes and then do a 2.5% decrease next time to see if that lessens withdrawal symtpoms even more. Going to continue gradually increasing magneisum. Right now I'm at 1 tablet in the morning and one tablet at night.

Overall feeling hopeful =))

Yesterday (Friday) was pretty rough. Really severe headache, face head and neck muscles extremely tight, fatigued very easily, light headed, imbalance, brain fog, tingling in fingers legs and toes, depressed mood, increased anxiety. I did a lot at physical therapy on Thursday, so that might have made a big difference in the headache and muscle tightness/soreness in addition to withdrawal. I didn't sleep well Thursday night. I was able to take a two hour nap yesterday though, and I ate a bunch. Not too nauseous in the morning, and my appetite increased throughout the day (ate two slices of pizza and five garlic knots for dinner!). I went to sleep at a reasonable time, and slept well. Some night sweats last night.

Today was a good day. Minimal physical symptoms. Woke up feeling pretty good. Took the morning slow and really listened to my body. Ate when I was hungry. Did my stretches and exercises for my neck. I didn't want to do anything that might shake off feeling good, so I really took my time and was easy and patient with myself. My therapist says "no hammers!" which means no beating myself up for every little thing. Sometimes this is easier than others, and today was a no hammer day. It was also sunny and warm, which really helped. I sat outside on our deck and closed my eyes and let that spring sun just warm me over. Went to the zoo with friends, rode in the car for an hour both ways, laughed and talked, walked around the city, ate dinner and only thought about withdrawal for a moment a handful of times. Had a bit too much magnesium yesterday, so reduced it today. Took 200mg magnesium in the morning and 400mg at night. Had more caffeine than I've had this past week which may be why I am not sleeping in combination with sleeping issues from the withdrawal. I started using the symptom checklist in the taper section. Going to hold here for at least three weeks this time before dropping 5% and see if that minimizes withdrawals even more. So far this is much better than when I dropped the 10% after a week (big "duh" to me).

Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and having a day around the house to do the paperwork I have totally procrastinated over spring break. It's supposed to be beautiful out tomorrow as well.  :)

MCC2929 -

I have been on psych meds since 15, and am 29 now. I was on 90mg of Cymbalta, 45mg of Buspar and 60mg of Vyvance for the majority of those years. 

When I realized I was ready to start coming off of my meds, I went from 90mg of Cymbalta to 60mg which is obviously too much. I went back to 90 and then went down to 80mg. Long story short, I am now at 40mg of Cymbalta and 50mg of Vyvance. If you have been on meds for a long time, I think anything faster than 10% every few months is too fast. My last decrease was from 50mg-40mg of Cymbalta the beginning of January. I am just now feeling back to normal. 

Tapering off meds, especially if you have been on them for a long time, is an extremely difficult process. I incorporated vitamins, excersize, therapy and clean eating into my life and STILL struggled for four months. I will most likely be waiting until the end of the year to decrease further. 

Good luck on your journey, and take it slow!!!

Hi Hallie

50mg-40mg at once is a big drop!! I'm happy to hear you were able to stick with that decrease and are now feeling better.

I don't know if you have check out this topic, but I found it really helpful. It suggests tapering 10% of current dosage each time. Also - how are you getting the amounts? Since Cymbalta only comes in 30 and 60 in the US, did you have a pharmacy make up the doses at 80 and 50 and 40mg? 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

What vitamins are you taking? I've just recently added magnesium citrate (see my signature) and found it really really helpful.

=)

Ok new plan. Cause I need to have some kind of plan to ease my mind. Will wait until I stabilize for a week. THEN I will wait another week. THEN I will reduce by 5%. That's approximately a three week hold. Gonna give it a shot.

• Administrator

Did the rash go away? What was it from?

What did you estimate to be the total weight of the contents of a 60mg capsule?

Alto - The rash did go away. I get it off and on at night now, and have observed it when I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I have gotten this rash off and on for years, but always thought that it was my sensitive skin reacting to dryer sheets or laundry detergent. BUT changing detergents has never solved the problem. I now use free and clear dryer sheets and all-natural laundry detergent with no dyes or fragrances, and have been for years. Now that I am tapering the Cymbalta and am super aware of my body, I am beginning to think that it may be Cymbalta related, and may have been all along.

I found the total weight of the contents of a 60mg capsule to be approximately .210 grams.

Had a window of two days of feeling almost completely normal. Had a wave for the first half of today. Unsteady gait, blurred vision, feeling antsy yet tired, decreased appetite this morning, severe headache, irritable, jaw clenching and releasing, feeling the need to crack my fingers and ankles, feeling the need to clench and release my hands, burning and tingling in toes, legs, and feet, and night sweats last night.

Then this afternoon around 5pm I began to feel clear and almost normal again. Still burning/tingling in fingers and slightly hazy.

Not going to get a false sense of security and make the mistake of decreasing after this 2 1/2 day window. Will wait until I've been at this dose for at least three weeks, and have at least a week of feeling clear.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mcc ,   you don't HAVE to decrease every 3 weeks.    

It may be the kindest thing for your overall health to stay a little longer and give yourself a break from withdrawal symptoms.  

It's okay to let yourself feel "clear" for a few weeks before dropping further.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg