felin tapering Cymbalta

felin

Hi all,

About me:

Will be 49 yrs old in May. Have been on antidepressants since my mid 20's. Have tried many. Have been on same 2 for many years now.
Generic for Cymbalta called duloxetine hcl dr - 60 mg/day (manufacturer is Torrent)

AND
Generic for Wellbutrin XL called Bupropion HCL XL - 150 mg/day (don't know manufacturer)

Very grateful to have found this post. Admin, your original post in this thread is what perked my "ears". Feelin' a little bit of hope maybe even, after having read it. Here is my dilemma. The Cymbalta that I take is the generic called Duloxetine, as you already know. The one that I take is manufactured by Torrent Pharm. I cut one of my capsules open last week to see what was inside and mine are tons of teeny little balls. Are these "balls" what you are referring to as "beads"?? Wanting to make sure.

Being that I have been on antidepressants for sooo many years, I believe that I need to taper incredibly gradually. Scared, but excited. Any advice or ideas are welcomed. Any natural supplements that help support this weaning process?

My goal is to once and for all get off of all anti depressants but know that I must do so very very gradually. I am here to learn and ask questions.

I have other meds and health problems, but the above listed are the ones that pertain to depression. I also take a dessicated thyroid med called NatureThroid for my Hypothyroidism as well as Relpax (up to 80 mg in one day) as needed for migraines which are often. Have often wondered if the anti depressants actually cause my migraines.

Grateful to have found a place for support! :)

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Haven't started tapering yet. Will.

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
  • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
  • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism
  • Relpax only take as needed - for migraines

FINALLY started tapering Cymbalta by 5% reduction May 5, 2016

• Administrator

Yes, those are the beads, felin.

I'm moving your first post from http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/to the Introductions section to start your own Intro topic, a place to track your progress as you taper. Please put your questions and updates here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi all,

About me:

Will be 49 yrs old in May. Have been on antidepressants since my mid 20's. Have tried many. Have been on same 2 antidepressants for many years now.
Generic for Cymbalta called duloxetine hcl dr - 60 mg/day (manufacturer is Torrent)

AND
Generic for Wellbutrin XL called Bupropion HCL XL - 150 mg/day (don't know manufacturer)

Very grateful to have found this post. Admin, your original post in the thread about Cymbalta tapering is what perked my "ears". Feelin' a little bit of hope maybe even, after having read it. Here is my dilemma. The Cymbalta that I take is the generic called Duloxetine, as you already know. The one that I take is manufactured by Torrent Pharm. I cut one of my capsules open last week to see what was inside and mine are tons of teeny little balls. Are these "balls" what you are referring to as "beads"?? Wanting to make sure.

Being that I have been on antidepressants for sooo many years, I believe that I need to taper incredibly gradually. Scared, but excited. Any advice or ideas are welcomed. Any natural supplements that help support this weaning process?

My goal is to once and for all get off of all anti depressants but know that I must do so very very gradually. I am here to learn and ask questions.

I have other meds and health problems, but the above listed are the ones that pertain to depression. I also take a dessicated thyroid med called NatureThroid for my Hypothyroidism as well as Relpax (up to 80 mg in one day) as needed for migraines which are often. Have often wondered if the anti depressants actually cause my migraines.

I am ready to begin tapering but want to have all of my ducks in a row before beginning. Have been so very sick for so long that I certainly don't want to add tapering side effects to my life if I can avoid it.

Grateful to have found a place for support! :)

I posted this in 2 separate places. Sorry Admin. Wasn't certain as to which place to post.

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
  • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
  • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism

• Administrator

Coincidence! Just as you were posting a topic in Introductions, I started one for you. Merged the two.

Welcome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ha!

I did add a couple of sentences to the second posted post.

Just thought of another question.

Since I am on 2 separate antidepressants and want to eventually be off of both, is there anything different that I ought to do when beginning this taper off of the Cymbalta? Am so anxious, scared and excited about tapering.

Also, wondering if you might have a list somewhere of side effects that I might have?

Currently am on:

• Administrator

Which one was prescribed first? Why was the second added?

See drugs.com for information about side effects of drugs.

Cymbalta was first. Welbutrin was added approx. 7 or 8 yrs ago. Added because Cymbalta didn't seem to fully "doing the trick". I was still struggling with depression and Dr. felt that adding Welbutrin, while not a common addition to Cymbalta (for her, at least), might help.

Currently am on:

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome felin!  It's so good that you've come here before starting your taper, to do so most safely!

Here's what Alto was asking for about drug interactions, from:  http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

bupropion ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: bupropion, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with DULoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of DULoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

also:

bupropion ↔ food

Applies to: bupropion

Using buPROPion with alcohol may increase the risk of uncommon side effects such as seizures, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, mood and behavioral changes, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks. On the other hand, sudden withdrawal from alcohol following regular or chronic use can also increase your risk of seizures during treatment with buPROPion. If you are prone to frequent or excessive alcohol use, talk to your doctor before starting buPROPion. In general, you should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with buPROPion. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

and:

duloxetine ↔ food

Applies to: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

DULoxetine may cause liver damage, and taking it with alcohol may increase that risk. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with DULoxetine. Call your doctor immediately if you have fever, chills, joint pain or swelling, excessive tiredness or weakness, unusual bleeding or bruising, skin rash or itching, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, dark colored urine, or yellowing of the skin or the whites of your eyes, as these may be symptoms of liver damage. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

This can help you decide which one to taper first.  I know you were thinking Cymbalta, I'm guessing because you feel it is the one which"pooped out" and buproprion is the one which is "working?"  And that the buproprion might "protect" you from depression?  Also consider that the buproprion is newer, and is not as deeply interwoven in your system.  Often, a suggestion is to taper the newer drug first.

Are you having any side effects from these drugs?  (possibly migraines, . . . . ? ? ? ?)

We do not recommend a lot of supplements, as once you start withdrawal, you may become super sensitive to anything:   light, sound, food, and even the two supplements I'm going to recommend that you try before you begin your first taper:

Omega-3 fish oil

Magnesium

Also you might study a bit to make sure which drug you want to start tapering first,  As you rightly assumed, it's not a good idea to taper more than one drug at a time.  We taper by 10% every 3-4 weeks, usually.  This gives you brain time to rebalance before facing the next taper.  Some people step both down, for example, doing 3 tapers on one drug, hold for an extra month, then 1-2 tapers on the other one, hold again, before going back to tapering the first drug.  Holding (staying at the same dose) keeps you in control of your symptoms.  If you have work stress, or family trouble, or just a bad flu - that is not a good time to taper.  Don't think about a "schedule" because your body may have other ideas.

Here's what other people have said about tapering your drugs:

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta   (I guess you've seen this one)

Tips for Tapering off Wellbutrin

Over the years as you've gone on and off drugs, your "relapse" may have been withdrawal.  Usually pdocs and docs don't give us enough time before they say something like (see if you've heard this before): "Your original symptoms are returning, you need to try a new drug."  Unless you had a period of years in between drugs, this is incredibly likely.

Again, it's awesome that you've come here before the first taper.  The potential to spare you so much pain is great.  Please look at your life and where you may need additional support through this time, including:  friends and family, therapeutic counseling, exercise programs, or natural support like acupuncture or massage.  You will need all the help you can get!

One final request - to help us help you, please fill in your drug history (especially what year you went on Cymbalta, and what year the Buproprion was added, the rest just do the best you can remember), so that every time we see your posts we can review your history and help you make your decisions.

How to complete your Signature

You will be updating your signature, as you taper off the drugs, and it will help you track your progress as you go.

Welcome!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh yes!  I looked at the drug name of your Relpax = eletriptan and it set off an alarm bell.  So I added it to the drug interaction checker and got this:

interaction-3-big.png eletriptan ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Relpax (eletriptan), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using eletriptan together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

ALSO all your other drug interactions were listed as 

interaction-3-big.png
as well, I'm not always the best at copy and paste.....
The doctors, they don't always check these things, they have their own ideas about what is a major interaction, or what is rare (note this last one says rare, but truly, the number of undocumented cases of serotonin syndrome - or just serotonin problems - is criminal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 weeks later...

*post moved from tapering forum

Was reminded a few days ago of what it is like to skip only 1 day of my daily 60 mg dosage.

Unbelievable how intense my reaction is to missing just 1 stinking pill!! Makes me so furious. But who am I furious at? I guess the Pharmaceutical companies!

Anyhow, about halfway through the day I felt very tired and a bit dizzy.

The day after was horrible. I went into this terrible deep depression that I just could not snap out of. I was also severely fatigued. I said some very mean things to my adult daughter who was visiting that day. Ugghh!! Crying (which I never do). That part actually felt good as I can never seem to cry when I need to. Joints hurt. Pain that I already have was intensified.

Day after was slightly less severe and so on.

My Lord, this stuff is just evil! Many will disagree with me. That's ok. I believe it to be downright evil stuff. I am so anxious about beginning my taper, but will. Hope to soon. As I mentioned in another post on another thread, I think I've realized that the reason I haven't started my taper yet is because I'm so anxious about opening up a pill to count all of the beads. I feel like I'll make a mess and they'll roll and fall all over the place. Anyhow, hope to figure out how to do that.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Currently am on:

Really wanting to hear some stories of any of you who have gotten all the way off of Cymbalta. Would very much like to hear the details, like:

How long were you on it before beginning your taper?

What dosage did you start tapering from?

How often did you reduce dosage?

Did you have lots of symptoms in between and if so, how long did those symptoms last?

How long did it take from beginning to end to get all the way off of Cymbalta?

Lastly, how long after having gotten off of Cymbalta did you continue having w/d symptoms?

Please, feel free to be very honest. I want to know the truth, even if it's ugly. I am so anxious for this info about Cymbalta specifically.

Thank you so much.

Currently am on:

• Moderator Emeritus

Felin,

I moved the above post from the tapering forum.  Your introduction topic is the place for updates about your own situation. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome, Felin. I am also tapering Cymbalta. And just started! Remember to take it slow slow and slow and listen to your body! I came into this thinking I had a black and white plan and that it would be done xyz and I could dust my hands off and be done. But, as people in this forum often reference, this is your brain and your body and you only get one. I very quickly found out that my plan was not very kind to my body, as I have been on a/d's for almost 17 years. I would definitely also recommend reading and googling as much as you can. Knowledge is certainly power, especially when it comes to creating your own destiny.

Also, I've found doing counting of beads on a black cotton t-shirt helpful because it stops them from rolling all over and you can see them when you drop them.

Keep us posted. Everyone on here is here for you. =)

Fall 1998, age 15, prescribed Zoloft

Various other medications, tried coming off multiple times (mostly cold turkey) but was put back on due to misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms

Fall 2013 60mg Cymbalta & .5mg lorazepam

Fall 2014 60mg cymbalta & half of .5 mg tablet of lorazepam nightly for sleep and as needed for anxiety attacks (which was really misdiagnosed protracted withdrawal)

Gradually weaned myself off of lorazepam throughout September and October 2014

March 15, 2015     .21g     (actual weight of granules in single 60mg dose, without capsule)

March 16, 2015     .189g   (10% decrease)

March 24, 2015     .17g     (10% decrease)

March 25, 2015     .18g     (5% increase)

April 8, 2015          .171g   (5% decrease)

Daily Supplements: 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega soft gels, 1 Whole Foods 2000 ius vitamin D, 1 Bluebonnet B-Complex 100, Bluebonnet Magnesium Citrate (400-500mg/day)

Thank you mcc!! So appreciate your kindness!... and advice about the black t-shirt. Great idea!

Sorry Petunia. Thanks for explaining. Still figuring this site out. :)

Blessings! ;)

Currently am on:

Noone? Eeek!!!

Currently am on:

30 pages of information here.... enjoy!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I've been on it a couple times.  The first time for 6 to 7 months.  The second time for about 6 weeks. I quit cold turkey both times.  While I don't advise this, just letting you know that it is possible.  The side effects i had were brain zaps, and headaches.  They lasted 3 weeks.  Good luck.  

Thanks all!

cymbaltawithdrawl5600, what 30 pgs of info are you referring to? Thanks!

Currently am on:

• Moderator Emeritus

I think CW5600 was referring to her own introduction thread link here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-%E2%98%BC-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Ah! Thanks Petunia!

Currently am on:

Petunia,

I just watched ea of the videos that you have posted at bottom of your post. Wow! The more I dig into learning/researching negative effects of anti-depressants as well as withdrawl from them when tapering or getting off of them, the more furious I am becoming. I feel, for the first time, in all of these years, however, that I am finally and no longer alone.

These drugs have robbed me of my life for the past almost 30 yrs now. It has robbed me of a good and healthy marriage, of being a good/healthy mother, friend, etc. If I could scream right now, the fury would probably be quite scary sounding. I am far too tired to scream anyhow. Terribly fatigued as usual.

I wonder if there is any hope for me ever getting off of these and ever having a semi normal life. Only time will tell.

Currently am on: