☼ Pennylane34: 3 and a half years out...and better! Success story!

Pennylane34

Pugknows, I would have to say physically my recovery waxes and wanes. So I can be 85% better for a while and then drop down to 50% better. It's not consistent---but again I have metabolic issues that started when this whole WD thing began. I'm highly functional, but not comfortably. The mental/emotional stuff was more of a cross for me to bare---as despite my health/physical issues I am even-keeled and happy. Which is something I never thought I'd ever be again after coming off Prozac.

Thank you for your response, Penny. Praying that eventually you hit 100% healing with no backslides.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I CT w/d from 150 mg prestiq (SNRI), 2.4 years ago and I'm just starting to feel back to normal. Not 100 percent better but getting close to it. People can recover but so many people end up back on a/d and the cycle continues.

I'm probably never take a/d again. I use 5-HTP which a lot of people say has long term negative consequences and they may be right, who knows. I don't take it everyday but it has kept my depression again.

Depression is often a lifetime battle for most people. It is important people change the way they think, which is so hard to do but as we mature and with the use of CBT, it can become possible.

Good to hear you recovered.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

Pennylane, where does your acupuncturist put the needles that helped you so much with the withdrawals?

Thank you for posting this story. It is definitely a ray of sunshine!

Fall 1998, age 15, prescribed Zoloft

Various other medications, tried coming off multiple times (mostly cold turkey) but was put back on due to misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms

Fall 2013 60mg Cymbalta & .5mg lorazepam

Fall 2014 60mg cymbalta & half of .5 mg tablet of lorazepam nightly for sleep and as needed for anxiety attacks (which was really misdiagnosed protracted withdrawal)

Gradually weaned myself off of lorazepam throughout September and October 2014

March 15, 2015     .21g     (actual weight of granules in single 60mg dose, without capsule)

March 16, 2015     .189g   (10% decrease)

March 24, 2015     .17g     (10% decrease)

March 25, 2015     .18g     (5% increase)

April 8, 2015          .171g   (5% decrease)

Daily Supplements: 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega soft gels, 1 Whole Foods 2000 ius vitamin D, 1 Bluebonnet B-Complex 100, Bluebonnet Magnesium Citrate (400-500mg/day)

Thank you Pug!❤️☀️ I can only hope with time that improves more too. I was on ADs for more or less my entire adolescence so I'm sure if I do heal entirely it will take a long time. But I'm content and grateful for where I am comparing to where I was 3+ years ago. It's like night and day!

Also, benzo WD historically is probably the most painful/drawn out WD in the history of drugs. No one knows how or why. But if you go on YouTube and Google benzo WD you'll be able to hear the horror stories and recovery atories of ppl who lived it and got through it. It can take longer then ssri WD---but I'm sure that depends on multiple variables as well. Check out the success stories online---those REALLY helped me in bad times.

Antidepressantsnomore---I agree! Depression may also manifest as a side effect of a physical ailment/illness--so it's important to cover a bases and explore all options before jumping to the conclusion that something is "chemically" wrong with us. I've had AMAZING success with acupuncture and homeopathy. A lot of my old thought patterns have completely been uprooted and changed. So now all I have left is the physical! Let's hope that's next to go :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Wiggle it- I'm so sorry to hear that :( my physical symptoms are tied more to an adrenal failure/thyroid issue that was kick started in withdrawal. So please don't be discouraged as this runs in my family---withdraw just happened to be the catalyst for me. I have chronic brain fog, hair shedding and fatigue. But it varies to different degrees. Hang in there, you will improve as most others on here do. If you go on YouTube and type in "benzo withdrawal 3 year update" there's a gentleman on there who I forget his name who did videos sporadically throughout his experience and had symptoms very similar to you that went away. Let me know if you find it! His videos gave me so much hope---because as you know benzo WD is prob 10x worse then SSRI WD if you can believe that!

Thank you. I am probably also into a withdrawal from a benzo. I was not on an SSRI, but was on a tricyclic, which are known to cause dystonia, but of course nobody told me that before putting me on it.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I don't know what drugs are classified as tricyclics. But benzodiazepine is more like in the Xanax class of drugs. If you weren't on that or I believe Klonopin is another one--then your just in regular AD withdrawal. Doesn't matter because you will improve either way. Time is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tricyclic is one of the original antidepressants from the 1960s. It is now prescribed for chronic pain, but it has long been known to cause dystonia and Parkinson/like effects afterward. Of course, nobody told me that. And I was definitely also on a benzo. Both were given to me for pain, instead of doctors trying to help me find good physical therapist.

So I am definitely in dual withdrawal.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Pennylane34 did you find that you couldn't feel love or happiness whatsoever? I'm almost 6 months out (CT off 10mg Prozac) and feel like giving up. This literally seems hopeless. I had a few half day windows 2 weeks ago but have been in a massive wave ever since. The brain fog and confusion literally make me feel like I have permanent brain damage.

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Yes! That is called annhedonia. I had MANY bouts of that in my journey to recovery. That's a withdrawal hallmark in my opinion.

I was on 4mgs of Xanax a day for 2years. I took 7months to taper, but never had any real problems after I stopped, not much trouble when tapering either, I mean nothing like the withdrawal symptoms I've experienced during getting off of Effexor. I also later went back on them for a month and then Clonopin for another month, then stopped in about 2 weeks with very little trouble. BUT then I've had a lot of trouble getting off Effexor.

I guess I'm at least very lucky to not have trouble with Benzos, although I'd never use one again--they did change my personality for a fact.

At any rate, Trouble with getting off Benzos is not guaranteed, not even if you had a lot of trouble getting off of an antidepressant.  

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

Hudgens, thank God! I'm happy to hear that your benzo WD was not the textbook version I have heard over the years. Everyone's suffering g is relative I suppose. I never took anything besides a slew of ADs over the years. However if you would've told me 3+ years ago that I would have been my normal, happy self again I would've NEVER believed it. I may have some ongoing physical health issues that I'm tending to, but nothing compares to when I was in the thick of things years ago--- crying multiple times a day, on suicide watch, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, OCD like never before, I was MISERABLE. I wouldn't wish those years on anyone. You will recover in due time and be able to tell others of your trials and tribulations soon! Can't wait to hear it :)

Yeah, seems common to have trouble getting off things like Xanax. Real glad I didn't have that, too.

Just wanted people to know that it's not inevitable. I mean if they've had trouble getting off their antidepressant and then  

want to taper off of their benzodiazepine, their not necessarily going to have to "go through all that **** again". 

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

Hi guys!

So I wrote of my emotional and mental recovery in an earlier post and am happy and proud to say that that part is done for me! I believe.

However I told you about my physical state not being too great. I am almost 4 years out in September and what I thought was thyroid/adrenal problems is actually STILL SSRI withdrawal. I've went to about 7 doctors, all blood ran, and a few alternative doctors and the most recent one I saw was an EXTREMELY thorough Endo who tested for all thyroid issues, metabolism,kidney, adrenal-even subclinical issues. And all my bloodwork came back GORGEOUS. So after some speculation and discussion with her---I am actually in agreeance that the physical symptoms I am suffering are in fact still SSRI withdrawal!

Woah! Didn't think that it would last this long. Any old timers have any stories regarding the physical recovery taking longer then the mental one? I'm curious. I am better then the beginning but still have a long way to go!

Blessings and hugs,

Pennylane

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pennylane,

I joined your new introduction topic in with your original one, its one intro/update thread per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry you are still having some physical withdrawal symptoms after 4 years out, its not terribly uncommon.  I came off Lexapro too fast in 2010 and I'm still having physical symptoms,  I'm also still having emotional/mental symptoms too.  I often wonder if perhaps I have thyroid or hormonal issues.  But many people in withdrawal get tested for other conditions and the results come back good.

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Can you do it from a mobile device? I don't use a PC.

Also what symptoms do you still have. That is interesting you tapered the year before me.

Hi Pennylane, Can I ask what emotional / mental symptoms you are still having?   You also said you were tested for Thyroid. How did that turn out?  Can you put your drug withdrawal history up  in your signature.  So happy you're doing so well.      Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Pennylane has written her success story here My recovery story 2011- 2017

As is our tradition, I'm closing this topic as Pennylane has moved on to another chapter in her life. Please congratulate her in the Success Stories forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.