akakoom: lost in no-man's-land

akakoom

I hear you brother and really sorry to hear your story of so much damage from such a small exposure to a medication. I know exactly what you mean about the burning in the head, I had that when I tried to reinstate various meds during my hellish withdrawal from citalopram.

Given that I'm reinstated on nortryptiline and following a much more cautious taper, I have now not felt much in the way of emotion for about four and a half years but during dose increased/decreases I have had glimpses of a more normal me, at least how I think I remember myself, you're right about not being able to remember after some time! I'm sure you'll get more and more back as time passes, the human body is remarkable at adapting and healing itself.

I think that actively doing things to try and put yourself in a calm a mental state as possible can assist with the healing process. For me I notice that meditation, yoga and making a concerted effort not to be hard on myself seem to help me get through dose reductions with a bit more ease.

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akakoom

• Laura1981

• bluebalu86

• KT38

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda felt something I haven't felt for a while...

had an embarrassing moment at work today.  you know that zing feeling you get when you feel that first moment of embarrassment... i kinda felt that today.  not normal... but it was there.  kinda had butterflies in my stomach too.

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

Maybe you are in love :-)

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

no, someone just surprised me when they walked into my office, is all

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

PSSD, anorgasmia

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

Ok, and what is your occupation? Have you always had this job or it is new? I have been fired from my job as at end of December, so I have to look for a new one.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

computer tech...  been working there for 15 years

PSSD, anorgasmia

We are in the same boat, exception is that i got all symptoms when tapered from paroxetine.

Febr 2014 - May 2014 : 10mg Seroxat (Paroxetine)

May 2014 - April 2015 : 20mg Seroxat (Paroxetine)

April 2015 (Tapering monthly 15mg-10mg-7.5mg-5mg-3mg-0mg)

When tapered from 5mg to 3mg got PSSD (Genital anaesthesia,zero libido,erection problems, emotional anhedonia)

yeah... sucks

PSSD, anorgasmia

permanent

PSSD, anorgasmia

me like you akakoom only I was on Risperdal for only 20 days. Now a year later I'm in the same condition of the first day, with little to no improvements.

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

not optimistic about my future

PSSD, anorgasmia

I'm sure things will improve over time, it just may take longer than you had hoped. Hang in there pal!

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

1 pill - almost a year.  cant see any hope in recovering from this.  what kind of life is this

PSSD, anorgasmia

head feels different every day, but never better

PSSD, anorgasmia

• 4 weeks later...

10 months

no progress

fml

PSSD, anorgasmia

• 1 month later...

Hi Akakoom,

The burning sensation and the weird feelings in the head will subside.

I suffered from this every single day for at least 10 months.

Then it started to subside.

Don't loose hope, it will improve.

It takes time.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 2 years later...

3+ years

no improvement

PSSD, anorgasmia

That's crazy. Are you taking any other pills, meds, supplements, otcs, herbal stuff, hair loss products, smoking, excessive alcohol or any anything else? 

Either way I still hope you get better someday. I'm still here too unfortunately. I also work in tech field like you. 

• 10 months later...

march 2019 marks 4 years

no improvement

its brain damage

PSSD, anorgasmia

• ChessieCat changed the title to akakoom: lost in no-man's-land

I'm so sorry you're still doing so poorly...my heart hurts for you.💔

13 hours ago, akakoom said:

march 2019 marks 4 years

no improvement

its brain damage

paxil is evil.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, akakoom said:

march 2019 marks 4 years

no improvement

its brain damage

Hi akakoom, 

I’m so sorry you are still going through withdrawals after four years. It can take a long time , but you will heal. It took Alto eight years, but she’s withdrawal free now. It may not take you that long though. Please don’t give up hope, our brains have a marvellous ability to heal. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, akakoom said:

march 2019 marks 4 years

no improvement

its brain damage

Hi Akakoom,

Sorry to hear that you are still suffering. 

Please don't give up hope. You will heal.

It takes some people a long time to heal.

Take care,  Hopefull. 

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Look into iboga my friend, it helped me a lot with the anhedonia. I have been using it for a month now. 

Used zoloft for 5 months. Started with 25mg, upped to 50 and finished with 75mg. Tapered in one month time. Finished taper at 15/04/2018

On 3/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, Sadboy said:

Look into iboga my friend, it helped me a lot with the anhedonia. I have been using it for a month now. 

I'm interested tell me how has is helped.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:29 AM, Diazk said:

I'm interested tell me how has is helped.

It has helped tremendously with the anhedonia and feeling like my own self again. Also libido is returning but not good yet.

Used zoloft for 5 months. Started with 25mg, upped to 50 and finished with 75mg. Tapered in one month time. Finished taper at 15/04/2018

SA can not condone to use of or advocating the use of the supplement iboga.  It is classified as a class 1 controlled substance and illegal in much of the world.  It is a psychoactive substance and has strong negative interactions with many of the drugs that we are commonly dealing with. Please discontinue any discussion about this drug.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 years later...

How you doing now? 

Jan 2017 (17 years old) Prozac 10 mg : May 2018 rapid taper to 0mg : August 2018 low dose hydrocodone for 1 week- sept 2018: began taking the legal supplement Kratom (partial opiate agonist, serotonin receptor agonist, 5-HT2c blocker increasing dopemine and norepinephrine) for back pain : October 2018- reinstated 10 mg Prozac Jan 2019 upped to 20 mg prozac
August 2019: upped to 40 mg prozac 
Through 2020 Worked up to 25 gpd krat
September 2020: dropped Kratom dose by 10gpd
Sept 2020- Jan 2021: tapered krat to 7gpd
January 2021: switched to lexapro 10 mg
May 2021:  delayed withdrawal symptoms

May-January- tapered Krat to 0.8 mg, jumped in late Jan 

April 2022: drop lexapro and added 10 mg Prozac 

July 7: 15 mg Prozac 

• 7 months later...
On 3/20/2015 at 6:37 AM, akakoom said:

Hello everyone

My story is a brief one.  I was sufferring anxiety and depression this winter 2014 over a personal loss, and after 4 months I couldnt take it anymore.  I had been in and out of the doctors office all this time, and in early March my doctor recomended paxil to deal with my anxiety and depression.  He gave me 30 pills of 10mg.  I went home and took 1 a day over the next 3 days.  And stopped.  I only took 3 pills.  Since then I am finding my personality has drastically changed.  Complete flat affect.  Anhedonia.  After only 3 frikkin pills.  Here I was thinking I was being responsible stopping after 3 pills.  I now know that SSRIs effects are immediate.  I think the pills ruined my whole serotonin distribution paths throughout my cortex.  I remember about an hour after taking the first pill I felt massive tingles throughout my head.  I wonder if that was my serotonin neurons dying.  Now here it is about 3 weeks later and I have felt no signs of recovery.  I am an emotional zombie.  I feel vacant.

Thats my story.  Don't take SSRIs... not even 1 pill!

Never!

how are you now??

2021 Apr: zoloft 50mg eventually up to 200mg

2022 Oct: zoloft quick taper down to 50 mg (Nov) quit at 50mg mid-Nov 

2022 late Dec - Feb 15 '23: ativan 0.5 mg-1mg  on and off 

2022 Dec 30 - Jan 20: zoloft 75mg for 3-ish weeks 

2023 Jan 24: prozac 20mg taken 4 days (bad reaction)

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else