akakoom: lost in no-man's-land

akakoom

chewing a fish oil gel-cap really sucks... try it, if you dare ;)

Yuck!!!! I tried fish oil from a bottle. Tasted like I was biting a foul fish....

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akakoom

• Laura1981

• bluebalu86

• KT38

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

told you it was yucky!

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

2 months in officially today.  nothing has budged.  really dont feelany different

hands feet numb

no sexuality

blunted pleasurable emotions

slight burning / pressure in my head

i also notice i cant sense temperature in my mouth.  dont really feel cold drinks

general numbness over all my skin, kinda tingly

this is permanent.  1 pill!! inhumane

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

PSSD, anorgasmia

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)

I'm so sorry for what you're going through Cam. It's so awful.

I noticed a couple of days ago when I tried to exercise: I can't feel my heart beating in my chest, even if my heart rate accelerates. Super creepy. On the bright side: If I ever suffer a heart at least it won't be painful...

Somehow this stuff messes with nerve transmission. I don't think it means the nerves are dead though.... I think it means that somehow the transmission impaired for lack of transmitters. Kinda like the computer doesn't work without electricity, but that doesn't mean it's broken.

Are you sure you don't want to go see a neurologist? If you talk to them calmly and contained, they might believe you and give you an idea what exactly is going on. That's my plan at least although in the ******** health system in this country the earliest appointment with a neurologist I could get was end of May.... I should go back to my original home country. I'm sick of this nonsense here....

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

I know whats going on, and how the ssri effects the synapse.  There's nothing they can tell me that I don't already know... in fact I probably know more than the neurologist about the problem.  There's nothing they can do anyway

what's your original home country?

PSSD, anorgasmia

You're probably right. Isn't it sad?

I'm from Germany originally. Wish I was there now...

I'm so sorry for what you're going through Cam. It's so awful.

Somehow this stuff messes with nerve transmission. I don't think it means the nerves are dead though.... I think it means that somehow the transmission impaired for lack of transmitters. Kinda like the computer doesn't work without electricity, but that doesn't mean it's broken.

I read online somewhere that if a neuron doesn't generate and excrete neurotransmitter, the neuron eventually atrophies, and dies.  Can't find it now, so I can't cite it.  Anyway, what I imagine has happened is that the ssri came along and blocked all the uptake ports in some neurons.  because the neuron doesn't get any neurotransmitter back, using the process of negative feedback, the neuron "learns" that no more neurotransmitter is needed.  It stops producing neurotransmitter, and atrophies, and dies.  That's purely speculation, but I think that's what happened in my case

and I haven't had butterflies in my stomach for 2 months.  i don't think my prognosis is very good.

would love to get some admin opinion tho.  i find a lot of anecdotal info on the internet.  none of it is very encouraging

PSSD, anorgasmia

I thought there are many types of neurotransmitters floating around in each neuron (GABA, Serotonine, Norephedrine etc) Some of them seem to be still working, so hopefully the neurons didn't die.

I have no idea though.... I think even scientists don't.

How are you doing Cam? Anything changed?

no, not much has changed.  today my head feels tingly.  no improvement to anhedonia pssd.  :(  i dont think there has been any movement, or improvement in what synapses in my head have been affected.  i don't think anything has budged

the receptors that the ssris affect use only serotonin.  there's a few different uptake ports in the synapse, and depending on which ssri you take, the chem will have different affinity to different uptake ports.  it could be possible for the ssri to block an entire synapse depending on the uptake ports that are there.  everyone could be different, potentially.  just a crapshoot what happens when you take it

PSSD, anorgasmia

• Moderator Emeritus

My story is a brief one.  I was sufferring anxiety and depression this winter 2014 over a personal loss, and after 4 months I couldnt take it anymore.  I had been in and out of the doctors office all this time, and in early March my doctor recomended paxil to deal with my anxiety and depression.  He gave me 30 pills of 10mg.  I went home and took 1 a day over the next 3 days.  And stopped.  I only took 3 pills. 

Have you had any therapy or counseling to help you recover from your personal loss?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Yeah, I have got over the personal loss.  Just the iatrogenic healing remains

PSSD, anorgasmia

over the last 2 or 3 days, my hands and feet were number than usual.  so numb they ached

last night my whole body was on fire.  i don't know if it was a fever or a withdrawal symptom, but i didn't have any other symptom, like  a sore throat, or congestion... which i usually get when i am sick

i did have quite bad headaches, and nausea

i think my anhedonia is worse today

god i cant wait for this to stop

i cant imagine getting better

PSSD, anorgasmia

can these drugs hurt your heart?  does anybody know?  my heart has been aching the last few days.  ive noticed my hartbeat has been kinda irregular since i took these meds

PSSD, anorgasmia

Hey Cam,

I had the same for a long time. Pain in the chest, palpitations, hyperventilating when exercising. I had it checked out twice, but they didn't find anything. ECG normal.

If you're worried, I'd definitely get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

For me I think it was the messed up nervous system. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to me if I hadn't been trained and healthy when this stuff hit me....

I hope you'll feel better soon!

Cheers, Laura

do any moderators know if these ssris can cause damage to the heart, my heart has had an irregular heartbeat since i took the pill and it is really starting to hurt

PSSD, anorgasmia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi akakoom ,   we do know that ssri's can cause heart palpitations , tachycardia , irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia).

As far as I know they're not linked to any permanent damage.

If you plug in "cardiac survivingantidepressants" to your search engine , you'll be directed to a bunch of relevant threads.

I'm so sad for you that you had such a horrible reaction , and I hope you heal quickly.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

feel like i am going to have a heart attack.  hope i do.  hope i die in my sleep.i cant take this anymore.  considering i am sufferring so much from only 3 pills i cant imagine this is going to get better

PSSD, anorgasmia

Hi! Please please please hang in there.  I took Zoloft for 1 week and got off it and was dizzy for at least 4 weeks.  I swore up and down to everyone it was withdrawal and I was never going to touch an antidepressant again. My family, friends, cardiologist, ENT, and doctor all said it must be from anxiety.  So, stupid me tried 4 different antidepressants within a 2 month period.  I ended up in the hospital out of my mind.  The SSRIs always gave me a bad reaction, but I kept trying thinking it was just me.  I feel so dumb for getting back on as I might be better by now.  I am almost 8 weeks off my 2 month trial of drugs and going through a really really bad withdrawal.  My mind is always in fear, like impending doom all the time.  I can't go anywhere or drive.  I'm crazy dizzy.  I was getting numb in my face and fingers and feet.  Very very very angry and deep depression.  It is maddening.  But, I have no choice but to keep fighting each day.  You will get through this.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

feel like i am going to have a heart attack.  hope i do.  hope i die in my sleep.i cant take this anymore.  considering i am sufferring so much from only 3 pills i cant imagine this is going to get better

Please find a way to hang in there. I kind of feel like giving up right now too but we have to find a way to keep fighting somehow!!!

This will get better. It may take some more months, but it will get there.

I feel like giving up at the moment too. Seems like we're all in a wave simultaneously.

ive never really felt a wave of progress yet.  my symptoms shift around a bit... like my head feels cloudy one day, burning the next, but i have never felt an improvement in my anhedonia or pssd yet.  not even briefly.  not sure what that means.  i wonder if the neurons are simply dying, and as they do, the symptoms fade, but any performance doesnt come back    curse the day i swallowed that poison.  my life's biggest regret

PSSD, anorgasmia

Hang in there Cam

It's too early to see progress, but your brain is working very hard at the moment to get things back to normal. Patience is the key. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I start to think if I take the right drug, my emotions will come back. maybe waiting for recovery without meds is a dream, it is useless...I don't know anymore

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

Hey Luca,

let me tell you my experience. I made things so much worse by trying another antidepressant. I would probably be already ok had I not taken another one.

Be really careful. You don't want to add new problems to the existing ones. I think our adverse reactions are signs that our brains don't like chemicals.

Cheers, Laura

I would be very careful about adding more chemicals to a destabilized nervous system. Things could get a lot worse. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

Hi Blue

I'll never take a psych drug again

PSSD, anorgasmia

i even hesitate when i want to take a painkiller for a headache or something.  i try to avoid any chemical that effects the brain right now... except caffeine ;)

PSSD, anorgasmia

I can't have caffeine. I get panic attacks from it! But at one point a couple of months ago when I felt brain dead it was giving me a bit of a boost. Different things affect people in different ways I suppose.

Hi KT,

Just saw your reply on my thread.  that chemical cocktail they had you on was horrible.  just more proof that the docs know nothing and don't even listen to us.  and pharma just takes advantage of the situation and sits back quietly and takes in the money while we suffer.  i am sorry you had to take all those meds after experiencing improvement.  i hope you feel better soon.  thanks for the support

Hi Johnson... nope, haven't given up yet!!

PSSD, anorgasmia

Thank you! My biggest symptom is an internal buzzing/vibrating/shaky type feeling.  It is causing bad anxiety because it is 24/7.  Still some dizziness.  I feel that the symptoms change and some get worse, some get better, some get worse again, etc....  Waves and windows I guess....wish I would get some windows.  I am 8 weeks now.  Yeah, the first time I took one of those pills I felt my spine get a few electric shock like feelings.  I should have stopped then, but of course I had the type of psych that said "it's your anxiety causing your anxiety".....uuuumm no, these symptoms are not anxiety!  Hate psychiatrists!!!! Hope you are doing better today!

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

medical psychiarty is criminal.  extremely unethical.  shouldn't be legal.  sadly i cant imaging any changes to the status quo in our lifetime.  they dont even listen to our feedback... cuz we're all crazy...

its been 2.5 months... almost 3 months now.  symptoms move around alot, but no real change to the problem of anhedonia, pssd, anorgasmia.  just gotta sit and wait it out :(

PSSD, anorgasmia

Just horrid.  I have racing thoughts all day, everyday.  I am soooo mad at the mental health industry.  First they put you on this stuff and then they think you're crazy because your body is reacting badly on or off them.  When I'm better I am for sure going to try to do something about this.  I don't know what, but something!!

I'm so mad too. No doctor will listen to me. They blame all my withdrawal symptoms on anxiety and put off every logic argument I tell them.

I even got a response from the pharma regulation body saying what I experience is in line with their reports.

Does any doctor care? My neurologist said 'yes, they write all the side effects in the leaflet, so they are covered. But the side effects don't actually occur'. Can you believe that?

Yup! I got the "your anxiety is causing your anxiety" bit when I was completely out of my brains on Prozac!  And I TRUSTED this person to put me ON these drugs?  Such a scam!  I am going to see a new psychiatrist and a neurologist and am so afraid they will deny this is withdrawal and my husband will put me in a mental home.  I can barely move my head without feeling odd sensations.

Don't put your expectations too high. I tried many doctors and nobody believed me.

But your husband needs to believe you. Show him this site. Explain to him that you have to get through this without help of official psychiatry!

Yes, we are in vulnerable states right now and we need empathy even if it's just from one person.  It is 100x harder going through this when people think you have a disorder and think more drugs are the answer.  Hello, it is called withdrawal!  No one gets it.