Nick130420: Does Tramadol have as much SSRI in it as Zoloft?

nick130420

The SNRI's are tricky and nasty little cusses.  They have such short half-lives that they're mostly gone within 1 day. Effexor is the worst with a 4 hour half-life - down to 25% after 8 hours!

People have experienced withdrawal symptoms well after taking their last dose of a psych drug. This is true for virtually every psych drug. For better or worse, you're not alone in this.  There's a name for it: "Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome" aka PAWS.

Our bodies are very powerful at maintaining and restoring status quo. After the perturbation of psych drugs, our central nervous system has to "reregulate":  shut down receptors upregulated in presence of the drug and/or restore receptors that were downregulated.  I think (my non-medically educated, person-on-the-internet opinion) is that withdrawal symptoms are the result of the receptor change that continues long after our last dose, as the CNS adapts to a drug-free state.

You were on Cymbalta for 3 months and stopped 5 months ago, so the timeline looks like this?

• started 30 mg/day October 2015,
  • continued at 30mg/day through the end of December
  • stopped 30 mg at the end of December '15/early January '16

In the link you posted, the blogger discusses factors affecting withdrawal: length of time taking drug; dose; individual physiology; discontinuation method, cold-turkey vs. taper. Your individual physiology is revealing its response to the absence of Cymbalta now. The w/d symptoms he lists are the same as what we have experienced and is documented here: What is withdrawal syndrome

How did you stop the Cymbalta? Abruptly/"cold turkey" or with a taper? If a taper, what amounts and how long at each dose?

I started Cymbalta on September 20th and took my last dose on December 31st. Also, I stopped Cymbalta cold turkey.

I really want my old energy levels back. I was such an energetic fun guy that everyone loved to be around but now I'm boring and have lost contact with my friends because I have absolutely no motivation or excitement to do anything. I'm experiencing severe anhedonia 

Important question: If i take opiates like Vicodin and Percocet, will that delay my SNRI withdrawal? Or does it have nothing to do with each other?

Yes they will. I responded to a post you made and it was lost. Hopefully it will be restored.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Yes they will. I responded to a post you made and it was lost. Hopefully it will be restored.

Wait so opiates will completely stop me from recovering from the SNRI as long as i take them? Why do you say that?

<removed by poster request>

Well you were the one who said "Yes they will" you didn't clarify anything and didn't give any details. This is also an SNRI which is completely different from Zoloft so no i have not asked this several times regarding Cymbalta. I never said i don't believe anyone's answer, I'm just clarifying if you were indeed saying that opiates will DELAY my withdrawal. 

Also a drug backfiring on you and making you feel worse is completely different from it delaying your withdrawal. All i'm worried about is if my body is still healing from the SNRI while I'm taking opiates. 

I don't expect you to research it for me. All i wanted to know is if you know if opiates will delay SNRI withdrawal or if you've ever seen it happen and if you don't know just say so. Don't just say "Yes they will" if you don't even know for a fact

Edited by JanCarol
Deleted quote from above post by request.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Nick - topics merged, one intro per customer please.

Use this thread to track all of your symptoms, stories, and questions - it keeps the site tidy, and makes it easy to find all of your stuff in one place.

Sorry for the confusion.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Nick - any time you are putting new substances in your system you are tying the knot tighter.

It may not work on the exact same neurotransmitters that your prior drug does - or it may.

Think of your brain as a complex weaving of a zillion threads of neurons and neurotransmitters, all functioning in a beautiful tapestry of zillions of calculations per second.

You CT'd zoloft after 60 days - that was enough time for it to weave through your tapestry.  CT is like pulling a string on a sweater - the whole thing falls apart (though you might not notice until later - which you did.).  Adding more drugs is like trying to weave in more threads to patch it together - it makes the knots more complicated, and makes your job more difficult in the long run.

You want evidence? Well, there is very little long term evidence for what you are experiencing right now.  Your doctor probably doesn't believe you.  The pharmacology companies are in denial.  

You want to add to the mix?  It's your prerogative, but it is ill advised.

The good news is, your brain will AUTOMATICALLY re-weave the sweater in time.  You just have to wait.  Adding drugs to the mix gives the brain more stuff to deal with while it is trying to repair.

It also helps immensely to practice mindfulness, EFT, or other Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

These skills will not only help you survive the withdrawals, they will help you stay off the drugs in the long run.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Nick - any time you are putting new substances in your system you are tying the knot tighter.

It may not work on the exact same neurotransmitters that your prior drug does - or it may.

Think of your brain as a complex weaving of a zillion threads of neurons and neurotransmitters, all functioning in a beautiful tapestry of zillions of calculations per second.

You CT'd zoloft after 60 days - that was enough time for it to weave through your tapestry. CT is like pulling a string on a sweater - the whole thing falls apart (though you might not notice until later - which you did.). Adding more drugs is like trying to weave in more threads to patch it together - it makes the knots more complicated, and makes your job more difficult in the long run.

You want evidence? Well, there is very little long term evidence for what you are experiencing right now. Your doctor probably doesn't believe you. The pharmacology companies are in denial.

You want to add to the mix? It's your prerogative, but it is ill advised.

The good news is, your brain will AUTOMATICALLY re-weave the sweater in time. You just have to wait. Adding drugs to the mix gives the brain more stuff to deal with while it is trying to repair.

It also helps immensely to practice mindfulness, EFT, or other Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

These skills will not only help you survive the withdrawals, they will help you stay off the drugs in the long run.

So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that opiates may delay my SNRI withdrawal, but my brain will still eventually heal back to it's old self even while taking opiates. Correct?

I really apologize for being annoying with this question but you gotta understand that the only thing I've been thinking about these past 5 months is "i wanna get better and back to my old self". I just wanna make sure that taking opiates for my back pain isn't going to completely stop my brain and body from healing from the damage caused by the SNRI.

• Moderator Emeritus

There are accounts all over SA about SNRI withdrawal.

I won't spoon feed you.  Of course, Zoloft is an SSRI, slightly different animal, and there are even more stories about them.

Here is a list that the Google search turned up (go to Google, type in survivingantidepressants.org introduction zoloft) https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU694AU694&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Survivingantidepressants.org+introductions+zoloft

You can do the same for tramadol.

You are not in prolonged withdrawal yet.  But you could be, if you do foolish things.

Your symptoms are minor enough that I don't yet recommend a reinstatement, but if you've read a few Zoloft or Tramadol withdrawal threads - you may see how bad it could get, and resist the urge to tamper more.  A reinstatement of the drug you were on, is the only medically proven way to stop withdrawals.  Other drugs might mask withdrawals, but a reinstatement is how you get through it.

You seem hell bent on determining that a few painkillers will be just fine.  My best, last answer is:  maybe.  But do you want to take the risk of NOT fine?  At best, they will slow your healing process by giving your brain more to do while it is repairing the damage from Zoloft.  (and it sounds like you've been on painkillers longer than Zoloft - which means that their pathways are more deeply embedded.)

Here is a partial list of what could be coming up (from: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/)  :

Crying spells Worsened mood Low energy (fatigue, lethargy, malaise) Trouble concentrating Insomnia or trouble sleeping Change in appetite Suicidal thoughts Suicide attempts Anxious, nervous, tense Panic attacks (racing heart, breathless) Chest pain Trembling, jittery, shaking Irritability Agitation (restlessness, hyperactivity) Impulsivity Aggressiveness Self-harm Homicidal thoughts or urges Confusion or cognitive difficulties Memory problems or forgetfulness Elevated mood (feeling high) Mood swings Manic-like reactions Auditory hallucinations Visual hallucinations Feeling detached or unreal Excessive or intense dreaming Nightmares Flu-like aches and pains Fever Sweats Chills Runny nose Sore eyes Nausea Vomiting Diarrhea Abdominal pain or cramps Stomach bloating Disequilibrium Spinning, swaying, lightheaded Hung over or waterlogged feeling Unsteady gait, poor coordination Motion sickness Headache Tremor Numbness, burning, tingling Electric zap-like sensations in brain Electric shock-like sensations in body Abnormal visual sensations Ringing or other noises in ears Abnormal smells or tastes Drooling or excessive saliva Slurred speech Blurred vision Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches Feeling of restless legs Uncontrollable twitching of mouth 

Still want to play with your nervous system?  Withdrawal symptoms can go on from there into autonomic dysregulation where you lose complete control over your body, sensory dysregulation where you lose control over your senses (which often then gets re-diagnosed as some kind of "psychotic disorder," even though it was caused by the drug and can mimic horrible anti-immune diseases like Lupus, MS, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, etc.

The nervous system is not to be taken lightly, even if you are young.  I can't give you odds, because every human, every body is different.  You might be one of those who can just walk away with impunity.  I hope so.

Are you trying to use us to justify your use of painkillers?

I can answer this - Tramadol is about 10% opiate, about 90% SNRI.  That's just its binding action.  Whether it is stronger or weaker than other serotonin drugs, I don't know.  The drug companies are keeping this one a mystery, and they keep calling it "opiate" when it truth it is a weak opiate disguised as a strong serotonin drug.  I get disgusted when I go onto pain boards and see how many people are calling that drug an "opiate."  That's like calling Michael Jordan a baseball player, or Shaq an actor.

Have you tapered off of that?  Or just gone cold turkey?  Or have you switched to other pain killers?

Why are you taking pain killers?  Are you dependant upon them?  Are you looking to come off of them too?  (except for Tramadol, that is outside the realm of this forum).

Have I finally given you enough information to answer your repetitive question?

There are accounts all over SA about SNRI withdrawal.

I won't spoon feed you. Of course, Zoloft is an SSRI, slightly different animal, and there are even more stories about them.

Here is a list that the Google search turned up (go to Google, type in survivingantidepressants.org introduction zoloft) https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU694AU694&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Survivingantidepressants.org+introductions+zoloft

You can do the same for tramadol.

You are not in prolonged withdrawal yet. But you could be, if you do foolish things.

Your symptoms are minor enough that I don't yet recommend a reinstatement, but if you've read a few Zoloft or Tramadol withdrawal threads - you may see how bad it could get, and resist the urge to tamper more. A reinstatement of the drug you were on, is the only medically proven way to stop withdrawals. Other drugs might mask withdrawals, but a reinstatement is how you get through it.

You seem hell bent on determining that a few painkillers will be just fine. My best, last answer is: maybe. But do you want to take the risk of NOT fine? At best, they will slow your healing process by giving your brain more to do while it is repairing the damage from Zoloft. (and it sounds like you've been on painkillers longer than Zoloft - which means that their pathways are more deeply embedded.)

Here is a partial list of what could be coming up (from: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/) :

Crying spells Worsened mood Low energy (fatigue, lethargy, malaise) Trouble concentrating Insomnia or trouble sleeping Change in appetite Suicidal thoughts Suicide attempts Anxious, nervous, tense Panic attacks (racing heart, breathless) Chest pain Trembling, jittery, shaking Irritability Agitation (restlessness, hyperactivity) Impulsivity Aggressiveness Self-harm Homicidal thoughts or urges Confusion or cognitive difficulties Memory problems or forgetfulness Elevated mood (feeling high) Mood swings Manic-like reactions Auditory hallucinations Visual hallucinations Feeling detached or unreal Excessive or intense dreaming Nightmares Flu-like aches and pains Fever Sweats Chills Runny nose Sore eyes Nausea Vomiting Diarrhea Abdominal pain or cramps Stomach bloating Disequilibrium Spinning, swaying, lightheaded Hung over or waterlogged feeling Unsteady gait, poor coordination Motion sickness Headache Tremor Numbness, burning, tingling Electric zap-like sensations in brain Electric shock-like sensations in body Abnormal visual sensations Ringing or other noises in ears Abnormal smells or tastes Drooling or excessive saliva Slurred speech Blurred vision Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches Feeling of restless legs Uncontrollable twitching of mouth

Still want to play with your nervous system? Withdrawal symptoms can go on from there into autonomic dysregulation where you lose complete control over your body, sensory dysregulation where you lose control over your senses (which often then gets re-diagnosed as some kind of "psychotic disorder," even though it was caused by the drug and can mimic horrible anti-immune diseases like Lupus, MS, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, etc.

The nervous system is not to be taken lightly, even if you are young. I can't give you odds, because every human, every body is different. You might be one of those who can just walk away with impunity. I hope so.

Are you trying to use us to justify your use of painkillers?

I can answer this - Tramadol is about 10% opiate, about 90% SNRI. That's just its binding action. Whether it is stronger or weaker than other serotonin drugs, I don't know. The drug companies are keeping this one a mystery, and they keep calling it "opiate" when it truth it is a weak opiate disguised as a strong serotonin drug. I get disgusted when I go onto pain boards and see how many people are calling that drug an "opiate." That's like calling Michael Jordan a baseball player, or Shaq an actor.

Have you tapered off of that? Or just gone cold turkey? Or have you switched to other pain killers?

Why are you taking pain killers? Are you dependant upon them? Are you looking to come off of them too? (except for Tramadol, that is outside the realm of this forum).

Have I finally given you enough information to answer your repetitive question?

Not trying to sound like a jerk but if you look at the thread, I was talking about Zoloft and Tramadol a year and a half ago. We're talking about Cymbalta now, just look at my first post on this thread of 2016.

My question isn't at all repetitive because we're talking about an SNRI withdrawal now. All my symptoms ARE IN FACT severe and they are all from the norepinephrine down-regulation my body is going through.

I'm not at all trying to justify using opiates. I just don't want to have to quit taking them unless i absolutely have to because i have pain problems.

Read my first post of 2016 on this thread and you'll know what I'm going through. Also, i DID research this through and through and couldn't find jack. I'm also in a mental state of constant OCD, anxiety, and agitation because of this withdrawal.

And JanCarol, thank you VERY MUCH for all the time you've taken to give me this information. I really do appreciate it

Nick, your attitude toward the people who are trying to help you is not very nice. You will soon find yourself with no one to talk to here, especially the mods. You have already alienated me by your tone (I actually used to be a mod on this board so I am not dumb) and JC may not want to offer you any more good advice either.

Please do not quote someone's entire reply when you reply to their post. Just go to the bottom of the page and start your reply in the posting reply window. Repeating the SAME thing all down the page makes it less likely ANYONE will want to take the time to read throgh your thread to look for information on your situation and attempt to offer helpful advice.

I won't be spending any more of my volunteer time on your thread. This board has so many new members every day that it is difficult to keep up. The mods cannot do all the work, other members help out too (like me). But it is up to you to do the work of educating yourself. Please read every topic in the Symptoms forum, all the information is in there. We cannot spoon feed information to you, you need to read what is pertinent to your situation or drug and draw your own conclusions.

The mission of Survivingantidepressants.org is PEER support for tapering and withdrawal syndrome. It is not to answer anyone's demands for information. It's all self help here.

By the way, being in withdrawal for 5 months is minor in our book. Some of us have been in wd for YEARS but we are getting along without demanding our needs be met by strangers on the internet. You may want to think about that next time you find yourelf posting something that might come off as a bit imperious and demanding. Here on this site, you get a lot more help when you are kind and appreciative.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

@cymbaltawithdrawal5600-

My gosh, I have looked up my specific question about opiates halting withdrawal several times. Stop saying I'm asking to be spoon fed because I'm NOT. The whole reason I came here was to find out something i couldn't find anywhere else. It's a very specific issue. I'm really not trying to be an ass I'm SUFFERING the worst most prolonged withdrawal hell I've ever been through.

Also, i have so much stress because I'm only 21 and i have just decided to join a law enforcement agency and I absolutely have to be better by October because that is when i take the test to enter the academy. I need to get moving with my career and this withdrawal from this evil drug affects everything from my mental state, to my physical state and as a result it's setting me back. Not only that, but these opiates are making me 10x as agitated and depressed because they don't mix well with this withdrawal. If you read the personal account of the guy i posted in my first reply to this thread in 2016, you'll understand EXACTLY what I'm going through.

BTW I'm way more sensitive to these drugs than 95% of people out there so I'm feeling it in ways you can't imagine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT2C_receptor

it seems tramadol effects are due to this... which you can read about here...I am jumping in too early as I still have not read the entire thread...but I was on this drug once I just can't remember it... all.  So thought I would find something out about it... 

Tramadol is listed with these other drugs....

Antagonists

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

It is not only the effects of the serotonin but how much your body can take in of this drug before it tops out the amount you can use... any dose beyond that is just wasted and increases chances of side effects...

it is different for different people depending on your liver

O-Desmethyltramadol (O-DSMT) is an opioid analgesic and the main active metabolite of tramadol.[2] (+)-O-DSMT[a] is the most important metabolite of tramadol produced in the liver after tramadol is consumed. Tramadol is demethylated by the liver enzyme CYP2D6[3]in the same way as codeine, and so similarly to the variation in effects seen with codeine, individuals who have a less active form of CYP2D6 ("poor metabolisers") will tend to get reduced analgesic effects from tramadol.[citation needed] This also results in a ceiling effect (dependent on CYP2D6 availability) which limits tramadol's range of therapeutic benefits to the treatment of moderate pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Desmethyltramadol

some people love it some people hate it....

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Tramadol - Drugs Forum

Oct 6, 2011 - As the parent molecule is metabolized, (+)-tramadol's SRI and (–)-tramadol NRI actions produce proportionally less of the analgesia effect, and ...

tramadol is not a SSRI, it is an SRI (serotonin releasing agent) and it binds to some serotonin receptors like 5ht2c

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/744123-Tramadol-V-S-Traditional-SSRI-Therapy

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Nick - 

I wouldn't recommend you for law enforcement if you have to control your anxiety and pain with pills.

Especially at the tender age of 21.

I have mates who are police veterans, if you are anxious now, how will you be after being shot at, beaten, attacked, verbally attacked, spit on, and all of the other things that citizens do to cops?  Additionally, if you are hair trigger anxious, are you certain that you can be a compassionate cop?  Not the one who just empties a clip into someone?  I wouldn't want someone on AD's, benzos, or pain killers on my force.

Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms and Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

If Cymbalta is the question, why is it not in your signature?  Are you not on it - just considering taking it for pain issues?  WIthdrawal from Cymbalta tends to make a person hypersensitive to pain.  If it does that - are you sure you want to start it?

I cannot trawl through every thread - I thought I did a thorough reading of yours and failed to understand the switch in the discussion from Sertraline and tramadol to Cymbalta....I realized it happened, but didn't understand.  This may be my own failing.

We CANNOT and DO NOT recommend drugs here at SA.  EVER.  It's outside the realm of our expertise, and not safe to do so over the internet.

Consider these threads if you are considering Cymbalta:

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU694AU694&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=survivingantidepressants.org+Cymbalta+pain

If you are on or have trialed and/or tapered or CT'd Cymbalta, please update your signature.

@JanCarol- I was actually never anxious until i stopped taking Cymbalta. Also, the only reason i started antidepressants is because i was depressed about my situation in life because i didn't have any career going for me. The pain killers are only for pain on my left arm because i pinched a nerve lifting weights and it hurts sometimes. Also, I'm not at all a little anxious trigger happy weazel. Trust me I have the mindset to be a cop. EVERYONE gets scared if they get shot at, all i would do is follow training. I was very mentally strong until i started going through Cymbalta withdrawal.

Here is my first post on this thread about Cymbalta:

"How long does SNRI withdrawal last?

Ok so I've been off of Cymbalta for 5 freakin months and my brain still feels fried. I don't know if this is coincidence, but the first 2 months i was off of Cymbalta I ALSO abstained from opiates and i noticed improvements in my energy levels from those 2 months of being off everything. However, I've went back to using opiates and haven't noticed any improvement in my Cymbalta withdrawal since starting opiates BUT i also haven't lost the progress I've made. So it's been 3 months since I've started using opiates again and I feel like my body isn't making any improvements from being off of Cymbalta. I want my emotions back SO bad as well as my very quick wit and sharp brain, but I've lost it all :( I literally want to blow my brains out.

My main concern and question: Can using opiates HALT my brain from recovering from the SNRI withdrawal? BTW i strongly feel that the part that is messing with my body so bad is Norepinephrine down-regulation. I came here about a year and a half ago asking about Zoloft withdrawal (as you can see in my bio) and the serotonin withdrawal from that is NOTHING compared to the hell of coming off of an SNRI.

I seriously believe that my brain lost it's ability to ever recover those key chemicals again. Please read this guy's account of what Cymbalta withdrawal was like for him, because this is EXACTLY how I'm feeling: http://mentalhealthd...nal-experience/

I was using 30mgs a day for 3 months BTW"

• Moderator Emeritus

Opiates will greatly slow your healing.  If you are concerned that the damage is permanent, why would you consider adding to the damage with opoid painkillers?

Next time, please don't go CT, please please?  PLEASE update your SIGNATURE to reflect what is really going on with the Cymbalta and the pain killers.  When was the last time you were taking pain killers?  At what dosages?  I will be unable to respond again until I have this information complete.

Your nerve pain from weight lifting could have been exacerbated by the CT withdrawal, especially from Cymbalta which has severe rebound pain.

Additionally, your opiates will have rebound pain. too.  In order to get you to take them again, your nerves fire to remind you to take your opiates.  They are a bit of a bear to come off of too.  It is my understanding that opiate rebound pain can be up to 3x stronger than the original pain, and that Cymbalta withdrawal pain can be up to 10x stronger.

This is based only on anecdotal reports, as none of this has been properly studied (well, the opoids are under great scrutiny right now).

So what I see here is someone addicted to opiates at very high levels (docs are starting to get extremely concerned about this, the DEA is putting a great deal of pressure on them - you might lose your script any day now), who is ALSO in protracted withdrawal from and SSRI and an SNRI.

5 months out - is a long shot for reinstatement.  But if you are suffering - better that you try a small - 1 to 3 mg - dose of Cymbalta to see if it takes the edge off of this horrible anxiousness.

Believe me, training is insufficient for dealing with PTSD.  My cop friends are here in Queensland, and the force here provides a lot more support and counseling etc. than the American forces do.  And still they struggle with the trauma of being attacked from behind, thrown down tot he pavement, swung at, knives pulled etc.  (and generally, we don't have guns here!)  The trauma of being a cop is very real, and if you are having to take pain killers to manage your anxiety, you are going to need some real help if you want to face this day in, day out, as a way to make a living.

I strongly recommend starting a mindfulness program, immediately.  There's a chance that in 6 weeks time, a mindfulness program can help shift the reactivity which would work against you as a cop.  Beyond Meds - Love Your Fear  and http://www.mindfulnesscds.com/  Not only will it help you deal with anxiety, ruminating thoughts - it will also achieve better pain control.

You are still lifting weights?  And take the pills?  Generally, my physio recommends resting an injury before working it again.  Consider, also, acupuncture which is excellent for pain management.

Your link only takes me to the Surviving Antidepressants homepage, so I do not know what person's case you are talking about.  But honestly, my first thought is - how long ago was it posted - and did the person get better after posting it?  This happens all the time.  Even here on SA, where people think they are "permanently damaged" - they find they get better anyway.

I am sorry for my confusion - so you were on zoloft 50 mg Dec 2014 - Jan 2015, CT'd, and you were on Cymbalta from ???? until Jan 2016?  And you were taking what dosages of Painkillers - when?  In relation to these antidepressant events?  Please update your signature.

If you are suffering enough that you have to turn to pills, the recommended action is to take 1-3 mg Cymbalta, to ease symptoms.  Though you are 5 months out from your Cymbalta experience, you were on them long enough for them to restructure your brain.   This is the most likely path to helping you:  About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Stop Withdrawal Symptoms

Cymbalta is not available in these levels, nor is it available in a liquid, nor can it be crushed and made into a liquid.  Tips for tapering off Cymbalta

The only way to take smaller dosages is to open up a capsule and count the beads.  I have never done this, so if there are 100 beads, you will take UP TO 10 beads.  You would probably be better served, this far out, to try 1/20 the number of beads there.  So if there are 100 beads, that would be 5 beads.

Taking OTHER chemicals to solve THIS chemical problem just ties your knots tighter, complicates your condition.  We cannot recommend drugs on SA, and if you are having trouble getting off of the pain killers, you may need to find a Narcotics Anonymous, drug dependency clinic, or other support program.  I do not recommend "Narconon" which is a Scientology front group disguised as a "detox center."

We are not set up to deal with opoid dependency here on SA.  Please update your signature, and let me know if you intend to pursue a reinstatement of Cymbalta to help your symptoms.  Also - it's always a good idea to let us know which of the Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms you have tried, and what seems to work, and what doesn't and why, so that I can better find what non-drug techniques will help best with you.

I'm sorry you are still struggling.  To be honest, 5 months out after a CT is not that long.  CT's are the hardest way to come off of these drugs, and the highest percentage of people who suffer years out - often start with a CT.

The good news is you are healing - it's just going to take a lot longer now.  If you must add anything to the mix, please consider: Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

I know that 5 years sounds like a long time to a 21 year old man.  But in 5 years time, if you take care of your body, stay away from more drug foolishness, and learn a bit about how to manage your limbic system (that's the mindfulness stuff) - and you will have forgotten this ever happened.

Is the opiate your on tramadol or another drug.  Please add the opiate name dose and how long you have been taking it... are you taking it just once in awhile when your arm hurts or every day?

Had a car accident in 85

@JanCarol-

I have some REALLY GREAT news. Yesterday i started to feel these really weird tingling sensations all over my body and had no idea what was going on. I woke up this morning and now feel 10x energized and stronger. What a weird coincidence! The i start feeling better the day after i made this post when i have been suffering for almost HALF a year. I haven't felt this good since September of 2015. However, i still don't have my normal emotions/feelings that i had and I'm still experiencing anhedonia.

BTW, I only use Vicodin every other day and DO NOT exceed 60mgs in a day. I do this to keep my tolerance under control.

As a cop i would NEVER let anyone rush me with a knife or let them tackle me to the ground. If i feel that my life is in danger I WILL shoot the bastard until he goes down.

Here is the guy i was talking about who described my symptoms word for word:

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/22/cymbalta-duloxetine-withdrawal-symptoms-my-personal-experience/

• Moderator Emeritus

So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that opiates may delay my SNRI withdrawal, but my brain will still eventually heal back to it's old self even while taking opiates. Correct?

I really apologize for being annoying with this question but you gotta understand that the only thing I've been thinking about these past 5 months is "i wanna get better and back to my old self". I just wanna make sure that taking opiates for my back pain isn't going to completely stop my brain and body from healing from the damage caused by the SNRI.

Hi, Nick. I wanted to ask if you've tried alternative treatments for your back pain. Many people find acupuncture and other alternative treatments to be helpful. Have you gotten a thorough assessment of what is causing your back pain and spoken to doctors that don't prescribe these kinds of medications as a first-line treatment? 

I hope you are able to get to the root cause.  Pain, whether physical or mental, is real and needs to be addressed so it can be healed, not sedated with AD's, narcotics, or opiates. And many people on these drugs eventually find themselves prescribed benzodiazepines and stimulants to handle the side effects. This is an extremely dangerous path. But it's very common over time - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/09/us-patients-opiate-painkillers-prescribed-dangerous-drug-cocktails

You're only 21 and the thought of you being on these kinds of drugs for life is very concerning. And adding that to the goal of going into law enforcement while you've got pain that requires very potent pain killers doesn't seem practical, as chronic pain conditions can be a disqualifying condition. At 21, you've got so many advantages and opportunities ahead of you that most of us don't because we've spent a life time on drugs. 

I don't think the question to ask is "will opiates keep me from healing from the SNRI". The real question is, "why am I in pain"? 

The same is true for those of us on psych meds only. I've never been on pain meds, yet my psych drugs were used to "treat" mental pain for 30 years. And it was completely unnecessary. Once the root cause is found, the treatment can be better targeted. 

And then you'll have an entire lifetime to pursue dreams of working in law enforcement or wherever your life journey takes you, unafraid and without pain. 

• Administrator

Nick, we can't tell you how long withdrawal syndrome from Cymbalta or any other drug will last. This could be a problem for you for a long time.

What we do know is going on and off drugs often causes the nervous system to become very sensitive to all kinds of stimuli and stresses: sound, heat, light, other drugs, even supplements and foods, alcohol, and caffeine.

Anything affecting the nervous system can interfere with its rebalancing. This includes painkillers, particularly a painkiller with serotonergic effects such as Tramadol.

You would be wise to give your nervous system time to rehabilitate and stabilize, rather than moving into a high-stress, high-adrenaline job.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It is so difficult to get a correct diagnosis.. I had a problem shoulder for 20 years post mva a mri 20 years later showed a tear... I hope your better at getting the proper testing than I am but then again I was on amitriptyline then and not functioning well.  I recommend trying phsyio therapty I am a believer. 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

Nick that is a very high dose of Vicodin, even if it is "every other day."  The acetaminophin alone in that dose is damaging your liver.

The article you posted is 2 years old.  He may be feeling differently now - and - he claims it took him 8 years to recover, but we don't know how long he was on the drug.  His article seems quite articulate, clear, well written - so he seems fully recovered.   So - based on this article, why are you expecting to heal faster - especially with your use of painkillers?  They will slow your recovery.   He started to have windows at 6 months.  You just had your first window (I think).

Remember, recovery comes in Waves and Windows - you might have a good day, a good week, a good month, and still have more waves of symptoms as your body heals.

Your signature is not updated.  This is my last post until you give us accurate information in your signature.

As a cop i would NEVER let anyone rush me with a knife or let them tackle me to the ground. If i feel that my life is in danger I WILL shoot the bastard until he goes down.

Um, good luck with that.  I guess that's acceptable in America, but sometimes, mate, you just don't see it coming until you are fighting for your life.  Your "empty the clip" solution sounds too hair trigger to me, with lots of potential bodies in your wake.  I won't tell my mates' war stories, they are not mine to tell.  I will say they were seasoned cops, fit, and one a 3rd degree black belt, the other a 5th degree black belt (my Sensei).  They were not wimps.  People are unpredictable.

I repeat:  I really cannot do more until you update your signature with current, accurate information.