SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jlynn: Paxil withdrawal panic attacks

Jlynn

The dizziness seems to be constant and last from about 4-5pm till I lay down for bed. When I wake up it is gone and comes back in the afternoon.

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jlynn

• ladybug

• SkyBlue

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you are not feeling well, Jlynn. I hope the dizziness abates soon.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Hi Jlynn, so glad you are doing well overall! I just wanted to warn you that you may become ultra sensitive to supplements and vitamins (and even exercise!) as you reduce you Paxil dosage. This was my experience, but I did a very quick taper from 40 mg to 10 mg with a reinstatement to 10 mg. So you may not have this sensitivity with your slow taper, but I just wanted you to be aware. Even now, I have not been able to take anything other than my allergy medicine consistently (thank God I can take that or I would be miserable right now!). For me, they seem to be overstimulating resulting in increased irritability and interrupted sleep. Just me, others seem to tolerate them just fine. Keep up the good work, you are doing GREAT! :)  

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Thanks! I have really never had problems or been sensitive to most medications and supplements even during withdrawal but I am hyper aware about what I am putting in my body right now. Anything I take I start with a small dosage and see how I feel after a few days before continuing on. I have been trying to keep what I take to a minimum. I did have to switch from Claritin to Flonase when I was in my bad withdrawal because the antihistamine was causing all kinds of problems for me. I seem to do better on the Flonase anyway so I am sticking with that for now. 

It has been a week since I dropped to 15 and it seems like the last couple of days the dizziness has gotten a little better but I have had flu like symptoms for about three days. Always something I guess!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Doing well :) x

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

The last two days have not been good days. I have had a surge of symptoms out of the blue. Something is going on at work that I feel is not only unfair but makes me very mad and I was not really able to handle it and had a bit of a breakdown. Both days have resulted in crying spells, low energy, flu like feelings, dizziness,poor gait, bad short term memory, poor concentration, agitation/irritable, headache. I am at day 10 of this drop and this is the worst I have felt so far. 

I'm sorry to hear you are not well. I hope you feel better soon. I would stick with the dose for a while not go back down again.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Day 15 of my drop to 15 mg and I am feeling much better than I was a few days ago. I have started taking Meclizine (Dramamine) at night. They make an all day/less drowsy that seems to be really helping with my dizziness. I take one pill at night and it doesn't seem to be helping with my insomnia, but I have enough trouble staying awake during the day right now to chance taking it in the morning. Flu like symptoms have gotten milder. I did have to get my job required flu shot a couple of days ago and that didn't seem to bother my symptoms at all. Happy to be feeling better overall for right now. We are going on a cruise the second week in November right after I am supposed to switch and so I am going to hold at this dosage until December. 

Sounds positive Jlynn, wise decision to hold until after your cruise IMO. Keep it up! Slow and steady...enjoy your cruise!!  :)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the 4 week mark for 15 mg today. At this point in my last taper I am two weeks past where I was where I crashed and I was at 10 mg then. The dizziness has subsided over the last few days and that is a great relief. I have mild muscle tension and some trouble sleeping still but they are minor right now. Staying at 15 mg until December then will make another drop if I am still feeling good. Meet with the doctor on Monday to go over my symptom charts and my graphs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey JLynn - good for you, holding!  I think that is super wise.  Too many have pushed on through to the calendar, or decided, "this isn't too bad" and powered on, only to find that the effects of multiple tapers accumulated and caught them quite by surprise!  So your plan, is super wise!

You wrote on Dreamspirit's thread:

Jan can you please explain what you mean by sinus rebound attacks. I was switched from Claratin to Flonase during my severe withdrawal and I have been scared to switch back. Problem is I am experiencing very bad dizziness with my slow taper and feelings of clogged ears and sinus pressure. Do you think this could be because of the switch in allergy medications?

Pasted from <http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9571-dreamspirit-my-journey-it-sucks/page-3

Flonase is a corticosteroid.

In the old days, nasal sprays contained actual decongestants.  Afrin was one of these.

But a similar effect happens.

You take the nasal spray, Flonase, and the steroid is good - it is anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant, and after a spray you can breathe

After long term use of Flonase, your nose anticipates the dose - expects the dose, and swells up in anticipation of the soothing steroid (Rebound reaction).  This happens with steroid creams too - the reaction to the drug becomes a part of the experience.  You think, when it happens, "Gee my sinuses are bad" but what's really happening is, "Gee, my nose is craving Flonase!"  Sometimes the rebound reaction is worse than the original sinus problem.

I have nasal sprays in the house, and only use them when I cannot breathe to sleep.  This is about 6x a year.

Since you are in withdrawal, you cannot use many of the things I use.  Guifenesen does have some kinship to very early psych drugs, but is not known to have psych properties. It works by thinning the mucous so that your sinuses can empty.  Sometimes a single ibuprofen will help swollen tissues.  But the best things I use are natural.

Daily salt water rinses (neti pot, saline sprays) - must be a regular practice to achieve benefit.  Anti-inflammatory, nourishing and soothing to sinus tissues.  Herbal steams of eucalyptus, mint and coltsfoot.  Or if I cannot get my preferred herbs - just some Vicks or Olbas.  I use Olbas inhalers regularly (they do not have the drugs that Vick's inhalers do)  And often that opens my sinuses enough to get by without drugs.

I was allergic in Indiana.  I moved to Australia - no longer allergic.  I swear, my body learned to be allergic to Australia.  My attempts to come off of non-drowsy antihistamines failed.  I will try again, maybe in winter.  (but this location blooms all year round).  ALSO - Claritin (unless they've reformulated it) was implicated in some heart rhythm irregularities some years back - I think they've changed it since then - but by how much?  I switch between non-drowsy antihistamines, so that I don't get acclimated to any specific one.

You haven't posted in awhile, I hope that means that you are out living life - playing with your pooch in the falling leaves, and having big windows!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you JanCarol for the information.

That makes total sense!

I am doing well currently and am holding for a while longer. With the vacation and then the holidays I have not had much time to just sit and update or comment on other posts. Happy to have a break from holidays and travel now for a bit! Other than some mild dizziness that occurs every few days I am pretty stable right now where I am at. Going to finish the bottle of 1 and 1/2 tablets I have reamaining (approx 20 days or so) and then evaluate and see if I want to try another drop. Thanks again for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to do another 20 days at 15 mg to finish the bottle and then do another drop. Overall feeling okay. Still have mild bouts of dizziness on occasion that pass quickly. Want to get through the rest of the stressful holidays before doing another drop!

Thank you Jlynn, so much for your post, sending hugs and positive Holiday spirit your way. Glad to hear you are feeling okay. Dizziness does comes and goes. It is temporary. :wub:  :)

XX-Orchid.

~ 2004 was started on Paxil 40 mg

~ 2004 reduced dose to 10 mg by cutting pills (without dr advice)

~ 2006 reduced dose to 7.5 mg and started taking Paxil every 3d day 

~ 2014 (June) started feeling anxious (symptoms of restlessness and anxiety severe)

~ 2014(July) was placed on Buspar and Xanax, stopped after 1 week, could not tolerate

~ 2014 (September) started on 12.5 mg of Zoloft, stopped in December 2014

~ 2014 (December) restarted Paxil 5 mg/day

~ 2015 (February) fast taper from Paxil due to severe restlessness and anxiety

~ 2015(March) 0 Paxil, severe WD symptoms

~ 2015 (April) placed on 5 mg Lexapro by Dr, but split pill in 4, 1.25 mg/day

~ 2015 (May) started tappering, symptoms started getting worst

~ 2015 JUNE 26th completely off Lexapro till present day~

• 4 weeks later...

Waited three months to do a drop to get through the holidays and feeling pretty good right now. Dropped from 15 mg to 13.6 last night. Planning on doing drops every 4-6 weeks if I feel okay to get to 10 mg and stay there for several months. Just going to watch my symptoms and base any reductions on how I feel at this point. 

Hi Jlynn,

I am glad you are doing well after your last drop! I wish you all the best! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Today is day 11 of the drop to 13.6. Worst day yet with dizziness, low, energy, headache, muscle tension, and stomach upset. All manageable but difficult. Going to slow my taper from every 30 days to every 45 days  and see if that helps mitigate some of the symptoms. Once I hit 10 mg I think I am going to hold for a few months and let everything settle. The more I get into this taper the more I am wrapping my head around slowing it down. I have come to the understanding that this is not a race and I have to continue to do things like work and function and the less symptoms I have the easier it is. 

Hi JL; I wanted to thank you for popping by my thread and encouraging me through my struggle to stabilise. It was just the encourage I needed and I was so grateful I cried my little heart out. You're incredibly brave with your taper; I can't imagine I'll ever be that brave. I'm slowly stabilising, I had so many symptoms it seems to be taking forever to make them go away. I read your post and I know you waited a fair length of time too. I just wanted to say thank you for your words of encouragement.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

• 1 month later...

Hit with a bad wave of dizziness and vertigo over the last couple of days. Hot flashes and upset stomach. Two weeks into the latest drop so hopefully will ease up soon. I have not noticed the emotions coming back as some have described but have noticed I am feeling resentful and irritated, Especially with my parents. I have been very antisocial lately not wanting to be around anyone right now. I have low energy and dealing with people just makes me cranky. Hopefully that will pass with time.

• 4 weeks later...

In need of some help and advice tonight.

I have been doing well with my taper so far. Dropping 10% or less and went from every 30 days to every 45 days. I did a three month hold at 15 mg and started working my way to 10 mg for what I am thinking to be a 3-6 month hold. I am currently at 12 mg and have been there for 37 days. Last week at about 30 days I was picking up a bag of dog food out of the car and I got super dizzy and lightheaded. Had to hold onto the car and finally made it into the house but I was flushed and sweaty and I ended up throwing up a couple of times. It took a bit but that finally subsided. Since then I have had mild dizziness throughout the day for the last week. Then tonight when my stepkids came home for the weekend I got really anxious for no reason and then had a mild panic attack. The whole evening has now been fraught with worry and fear over this. I have been thinking about the horrible crash from the fast taper I had about a year ago and freaking out that could be happening again.

I started getting my seasonal allergies about a month ago and started taking my flonase again. I was taking Claritin but switched on the recommendation of several people from this site to flonase because the antihistamine was causing me more problems. Didn't have any problems once I went to the flonase. Only use it during the spring and summer months. That is about the only thing that has changed for me recently.  

I have been charting my symptoms religiously and the pattern has generally been increase in symptoms at about day 10 subsiding after about 3-5 days and then again around 20 days and by 28 days feeling good. I guess I am just scared about what is going on because things had been going so well. I realize there is no absolute with these drugs and tapering but what is happening tonight is a little startling to me. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlynn ,   try not to get into a panic about this episode.  It's not unusual for there to be hiccups whilst tapering , remember

the "Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization"  here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

You're doing a sterling job with your taper.   Take extra care with yourself until things settle.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh! I think I get so worked up because of how bad I crashed last year and I get afraid of that happening again. I have three jobs and I can't afford to let any go right now especially my full time job with its health insurance. My goal has been to taper with minimal symptoms so I can keep working and not have symptoms make it impossible to do that.

It was a bad night last night. Didn't fall asleep till after midnight and then I woke up at 3:30 from some bizarre dreams burning up, sweating, shaking, etc. had to get up and take a luke warm bath to try and cool and calm down. Got back to sleep at 4:30 and 6:00 same thing. My brain is all jacked up I guess. Hopefully will calm down at some point.

Jlynn, I had a lot of trouble in this dose range too. Specifically at 11.4-10mg, and I was only taking 5% drops at that point. If your goal is to taper with minimal symptoms you might want to consider lowering your drop percentage? Then again I've seen people have trouble with certain drops and then be ok the next one, so it's hard to say. Just something to consider if the drops get increasingly more difficult. I think you are doing great so far!

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Thanks ladybug!

Yesterday had the internal shakes all day and the pre panic heat surges but thankfully no actual panic attacks. Appetite is pretty low right now but not bothersome. Broke down last night after a few nights of not sleeping and feeling so bad and scared of what the night might bring and took an Ambien. I did sleep pretty well. No nightmares or night sweats but I hate taking them and hate how I feel the next morning (hung over).  I did have dinner with one of my trusted friends who knows I am going through this and that helped alot with calming down. Today early I had some of the inner shakes and anxious feelings but this afternoon about the only thing I have left is the dizziness. 

As I always do when there is a symptom change I racked my brain to figure out if there was anything different I did over the last week or so. I did start my flonase for my allergies and about two days ago for three days in a row I took two Naproxen (Alleve) for some knee pain. Something I am having trouble with is acceptance. I always look for what caused it or what I did to make the symptoms flare up rather than accepting them as waves and windows and riding through them knowing it is all part of what happens in withdrawal. Something I obviously need to work on but easier said than done. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Could be the naproxyn J.  We process substances differently in withdrawal to how we have in the past.  

Next time you take ambien , you might find that a tiny dose , like 1/4 of the usual dose , does the trick for you.  

You might get the relief you want without the hangover.

I've occasionally taken some ativan in the past year , and I find that 1/6 of a 1mg tablet is enough.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I think I already know the answer to this but since I am always learning as I go through this I shall ask those who know better about WD than I do. Should I hold at my current dose and will I eventually stabilize here and the symptoms will subside? Or should I adjust my dose I am guessing it would be up and not down?

I would rate the symptoms I have been having for the last week at about a 6-7 at this point, but some days a 5. 

If your symptoms are tolerable then I would suggest holding rather than updosing.

After a quick Google search I found out that some people have experienced anxiety, dizziness and insomnia while taking Flonase. In WD we can become sensitive to substances we tolerated fine previously. Just something to consider.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

Thank you! I googled it but didn't come up with very good results. Probably didn't put the right words in as I am having trouble relating what I am trying to say right now. Thanks for the information on holding. That was my thought but again I am learning how to get through this and didn't want to be way off track!

I just Googled "Flonase and anxiety" and a bunch of stuff came up. Given that it's a corticosteroid, it's not really a surprise. I'm sorry you have to deal with allergies on top of all this. I can't tolerate antihistamines either so if I do get an allergy attack I just have to suffer through it. Saline rinses sometimes help and thankfully no side effects with that lol.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

Another rough night. Couldn't sleep and kept waking with hot flushes and internal shaking. Oddly enough the two hour stretch I did sleep was after I piled up my pillows and was almost sitting up when I dozed off. Today has been very upset stomach, dizziness, severe head/neck ache, anxious, going from hot to freezing. I am supposed to work this evening but at this point as much as I hate to I don't don't see how I can function well enough. I just wish I knew how long this wave will last. ????

Hi Jlynn-- trying to second guess symptoms is a sure way to make yourself crazy.  They have a mind of their own and come and go as they please usually with no determinable reason.  I remember the lower teens being a particularly active dose range for symptoms, things that hadn't bothered me for a long time cropped back up, nightmares and night sweats were two of the big ones, along with the dizziness.  I recall having to take things a bit slower in that range.  I see nothing wrong with the taper schedule you've been using so it looks like this is just one of those waves.  I don't think updosing would help any and probably could just cause more problems.  I would give it a few more weeks of hold before continuing to taper.

I found any allergy med caused me more trouble. Nazelchrom (sp.) caused the fewest problems.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks Brass! I am going to continue to hold here at 12 mg and hope this wave passes and I can stabilize soon.

I appreciate all of you who have so much knowledge sharing and encouraging. I couldn't do this without all of you!

I wish I knew why I didn't have this bad wave till 30 days into this drop. I figured if I could get past the first two weeks I would be ok. I did a long hold at 15 so I figured my brain had caught up and could make it to 10 for another hold. It is scary to me that I can be on a dose for a month and still have WD crashes. Now I worry about how long till I can become stable because with this anxiety brings fear of the unknown.

I ended up calling in sick yesterday because I just didn't think I could handle being at work last night and hold it together. I did get a reprieve and a mild window during the evening. We had done a couple of walks to help me burn off the anxious and hubby and I were watching a movie and as it was ending I noticed I was feeling normal and had been for about an hour. So grateful for that. Slept about 6 hours total last night off and on. Weird dreams but no nightmares. Woke up and could not get back to sleep. Dizzy and shakes this morning so far with a bit of an upset stomach and some mild anxiety.

Yesterday was a little better. Some internal shakes and anxiety when I woke up. Took two very long walks throughout the day which calmed me down a little. Extremely dizzy all day and freezing cold. Went and worked half a shift last night but that is really all I could manage.

Took half of an ambien last night to try and get more sleep than I have then last couple of nights. Seemed to help me fall asleep but woke up a couple times during the night and took a while to get back to sleep. Woke this morning with shakes and anxiety again. Also woke with a terrible upset stomach which is strange because I have no appetite so I have only been having meal replacement shakes and mild foods. I have been really trying to hydrate to see if that helps. Still in a wave, praying for some stabilization and a window.

Went for a walk and was able to eat something small for lunch. Was just chilling and watching TV and I got that whole panic feeling out of nowhere. The hot flushed feeling, stomach revolting, internal tingling and shaking and feeling like I need to crawl out of my skin. I am now just sitting here crying because I am so overwhelmed with emotions. How long will I have to endure this wave???