SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jlynn: Paxil withdrawal panic attacks

Jlynn

• Moderator Emeritus

I try and stay positive and focus on healing but as everyone knows the longer the symptom lasts the harder it is to see any light. :(

Amen, Jlynn! Sheeeeesh! I had so much patience and hope last summer when I was in acute/cold-turkey withdrawal. I find my self-patience waning as the months go by. And I still have a ways to taper. At least now I'm going slowly.

About the muscle tic: oh my gosh! I had one in my bicep last week too. It was just pulsing. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :blink:

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jlynn

• ladybug

• SkyBlue

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Jlynn, I found this in the thread that has a description of the healing process. I'm sorry I don't have the link right now but I thought of you with your dizziness when I read this:

"Vestibular System This is the system of semi-circular canals in the inner ear that are responsible for making you feel balanced in space.  When this is "off" or damaged temporarily, you feel dizzy."

It's from somewhere on this site. I have it copied to a document on my desktop.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

Thanks Sky, That makes a lot of sense. I hope it keeps healing and getting better.

The last couple of days have seemed a little better with the dizziness being manageable in the morning and early afternoon and then becoming more noticeable in the late afternoon and evening. I am kind of starting to understand the waves and windows pattern more and more and not panicking so much at the waves and hold on to how I felt during a window. I just wish the waves were shorter and the windows longer.......

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Moderator Emeritus

Me too. 

That is great that you're more able to not panic as much during the waves. Difficult to do!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Day 35 at 11 mg

Current symptoms:

Severe Dizziness – This is by far the worst for me. It is almost constant and debilitating. Terrible spinning and vertigo. I have very small windows for a few minutes where it is mild but the rest of the time it is just awful.

Stomach issues – Upset stomach every morning when I wake up and sometimes lasting through the day. Taking the occasional anti-diarrheal when it gets unbearable but only gives minor relief. Taking my pro-biotic daily. I can’t tell if it is helping me or not.

Depressive thoughts – This seems to be coming in waves. Some days I am good and my mood is okay and the next day I have a terrible doom cloud hanging over me and there is nothing good.

Trouble swallowing liquids – I seem to have a catch in my throat when trying to drink liquids from a glass or a water bottle

Anxiety – ranges from mild to moderate. I feel like a lot of my current anxiety comes from dealing with the dizziness and the fear it may never go away.

Resolved:

Panic – the panic and terror seem to be gone for now

Muscle tics – the spasm I was having in my arm lasted about two weeks and is now completely resolved.

Random temperature changes - I may still have these occasionally but if so the are so mild I don't notice 

I have been continuing with fish oil, Epsom salt baths 4-5 days a week, daily walks for 30-60 minutes. Trying meditation but it is very hard for me. I can’t seem to focus for more than a couple of minutes.

Just holding here at 11 mg till the symptoms ease and hopefully subside and then will drop to 10 mg for a planned 6 month minimum hold. My brain needs a break, I need a break from dealing with tapering, and my family needs a break from me tapering. 10 mg is just the number since it will just be a pill and not a pill and liquid (which is a bit expensive) like I am doing now. Also it will be the halfway mark which I have never gotten to and held in all of my taper attempts. No idea when I will get to 10 mg but hopefully sometime in the next few months. Once I resume tapering after the 6+ months it will be at a snail’s pace. I don’t care if it is 6 or 10 years to get off as long as I can survive and conquer with hopefully minimal symptoms. Just praying I am not dizzy for the rest of my life.  

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Hi Jlynn--  I'm glad to hear that some of the symptoms have resolved themselves.  I've had the tick in my left eye all week, such a pain in the ***.  The dizziness does go away.  I'd get it pretty bad for a few weeks then it would clear up for a while.  It kept cycling for several months and then took a big step for the better.  The only thing I was able to do for it was physically slow down and concentrate more on each move, almost like being drunk.  Stand up slowly and deliberately, wait a second before starting to walk, and use things around me for balance.  It must have looked funny, but it got me through it.

It might be an idea to take two drops to get to 10mg.  If you have the liquid available. Might not have to change the time frame a lot but it might be gentler on your system.  Then a good long hold like you're planning followed by a long slow gentle taper.  For general reference 10mg -0 should take about three years at 10% every 6 weeks.

Please be careful with the epsom salt baths.  If they're working it's great, but they can go paradoxical if you're not careful.  Too often or too much salt can cause anxiety, so keep an eye out.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the encouragement Brass! I will remember it every time I get down that I am so dizzy and sick that there is a chance it will get better. I pray every night I go to bed I wake up with some relief the next day. Always holding out hope for a new day.

I had not heard of Epsom salts having a paradoxical reaction so I will have to be aware of that too. I only use two cups because I worry about using to much.

The dizziness today was strong as was the upset stomach. It almost feels like my brain is swelling and then shrinking in my skull if I had to describe it. :(

Day 40 at 11 mg 

Couple of really bad days followed by an okay day and then back to bad days. I am thankful for the days where the symptoms ease but hard to remember that when they come back in full force.

Something else I have noticed is I can not focus on something for very long, When I try and have a conversation after a couple of minutes I notice I have totally tuned out and I don't even remember doing it. My thoughts are so scattered as well. This morning when I was waking up my husband and I were having a meaningless conversation about something (no clue what) and all of a sudden I popped out with "The reed on that instrument needs to be changed". No clue where or why that came out of my mouth and my husband was so confused. I don't own or play any instruments so it was really out there. Please tell me this is part of WD and will hopefully get better?!?! I fear I am really losing it! 

Day 40 at 11 mg 

Couple of really bad days followed by an okay day and then back to bad days. I am thankful for the days where the symptoms ease but hard to remember that when they come back in full force.

Something else I have noticed is I can not focus on something for very long, When I try and have a conversation after a couple of minutes I notice I have totally tuned out and I don't even remember doing it. My thoughts are so scattered as well. This morning when I was waking up my husband and I were having a meaningless conversation about something (no clue what) and all of a sudden I popped out with "The reed on that instrument needs to be changed". No clue where or why that came out of my mouth and my husband was so confused. I don't own or play any instruments so it was really out there. Please tell me this is part of WD and will hopefully get better?!?! I fear I am really losing it! 

Lack of concentration and scattered thoughts are pretty normal WD-wise. As for the reed comment I think this had more to do with the fact that you were just waking up. I've said it before on other threads but some pretty weird stuff can happen in that space between sleep and full wakefulness. I can empathize with your fear because that is just the kind of stuff I freak out about!

WD makes us so hypervigilant and any little thing that happens outside of the norm becomes a cause for concern, even if these same things can happen to people who haven't taken meds and are not in WD. Trust me, you're not losing it!

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlynn! 

I am sure you're not losing it. :)

Although I'm sure that was unnerving. I would maybe make a note of it (the reed on the instrument comment) and see if it happens again. I had something similar and it was for sure withdrawal-related because I had just done a drop. And even at the time I was like, what is going on? It did clear up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Day 51 at 11 mg

Current symptoms:

Dizziness – There have been some very mild improvements as far as the dizziness goes. I have had a couple of days where there has been periods of time where it is not near as bad as it has been. Then just as           quick at that happens it seems to lapse back into the moderate to severe range again.

Stomach issues – Also some very mild improvements in the stomach issues where I had a couple of days without the cramps and upset stomach in the mornings and most of the day. Seems that has come back too.

Ringing in my ears – That seem to come and go throughout the day and switches from both ears.

Anger – Random periods of anger and rage at even the smallest things.

Very poor concentration – I can’t hardly get through a conversation, prayer, project, etc. without my brain stringing random thoughts together and racing along a track that is going far away from what I am                     supposed to be thinking/talking about. Unfortunately people are starting to notice I am doing it and that is a problem.

(Better:) 

-       Anxiety – Has seemed to be a little better the last week or so.

(Resolved:)

-       Trouble swallowing liquids

I would like to think things are moving towards improvement but today has not been a great day so I am kind of grumpy about it. It feels so good to have a window and so depressing to have it snatched away and be right back in the misery of a wave.

Holding for 6 more weeks and then will reevaluate if can move to 10 mg for the 6 month hold. Not optimistic.

Hi there Jlynn, I have been reading your journey with interest and wish you well! I noticed that you stopped your Claritin last year and wondered why that was? Claritin is a 5ht antagonist and would have been adding to the effect of the Paxil you were taking. I found out recently that many antihistamines are weak SSRIs or SSRNIs as my husband is on 40mg of Paxil and he had run out of Zyrtec , he started taking some other antihistamines and they literally caused an episode, he spent a week in bed as anxious depressed wreck before i made the connection. A few days off these and he felt much better. 

It occurred to me that if you take into account stopping your antihistamine a drop would have a much bigger effect.

I am currently on 20mg of Paxil having been on 30mg at one point many years ago. I have had various attempts to come off but only have managed 14months before reinstating (which came with kindling hell!) I am lurking here as I am trying to work up the courage to start a 10% taper. :unsure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16413139this is a link to the connection between one antihistamine SSRI effects. 

Hi there Jlynn, I have been reading your journey with interest and wish you well! I noticed that you stopped your Claritin last year and wondered why that was? Claritin is a 5ht antagonist and would have been adding to the effect of the Paxil you were taking. I found out recently that many antihistamines are weak SSRIs or SSRNIs as my husband is on 40mg of Paxil and he had run out of Zyrtec , he started taking some other antihistamines and they literally caused an episode, he spent a week in bed as anxious depressed wreck before i made the connection. A few days off these and he felt much better. 

It occurred to me that if you take into account stopping your antihistamine a drop would have a much bigger effect.

I am currently on 20mg of Paxil having been on 30mg at one point many years ago. I have had various attempts to come off but only have managed 14months before reinstating (which came with kindling hell!) I am lurking here as I am trying to work up the courage to start a 10% taper. :unsure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16413139this is a link to the connection between one antihistamine SSRI effects.

Hi Fizz thanks for stopping by.

I ended up stopping the Claritn for a couple of reasons. One was that during my severe crash I could not keep anything in my stomach and the antihistamine was making that worse so the Dr switched me to flownase. The other is the reason you mentioned. It was mentioned on here that it could mess with the serotonin levels so I decided to get off of it.

It is so hard to find the courage to start tapering again after a bad withdrawal experience for sure. I know you can do it when you are ready!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 65 at 11 mg 

Current symptoms

Dizziness is improving and I would say I am only dizzy about 50% of the time now which is still frustrating and depressing but overall much better. I find it is either more when I first wake up and in the morning or later in the evening. I am still waiting for that day when it is completely gone as it is just distressing. 

Stomach issues: Stomach is feeling about 50% better as well. Seems the cramping is almost gone and the upset stomach is getting better as well. 

Skin issues: I have been getting these clusters of what look like bug bites or acne on my shoulders, arms, and legs and then they itch and scab over. Almost like a rash but worse. Have not changed soaps or anything like that. Anyone else have skin issues they never had before during withdrawal? Debating on whether  or not to go to the dermatologist.

Better:

Emotions seem to slowly be evening out and I am still feeling anger but less sadness and depression

Resolved:

The ringing in the ears seems to have gone away for the last week or so. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Been getting lots of sunshine and outdoor time which I love and seems to be helping with my mood. I have noticed there has been an increase in my daytime fatigue so not sure if that is WD related or just the fact that summer time I so busy.  

So glad to hear the dizziness is improving!

As for the skin issues I know I have battled with adult acne ever since I began my taper years ago. If your bumps itch though they are likely not acne. I think as you lower your dose you can be more susceptible to allergy like issues since Paxil (and other SSRI's I think?) have mild antihistaminic effects. The antihistamine diphenhydramine (Benadryl) was actually a precursor to the development of Prozac. If the bumps don't go down then it sounds like actual bug bites instead of hives? I would probably get it checked out by a derm to make sure.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

• 2 weeks later...

Day 73 @ 11 mg 

Current symptoms: 

Dizziness is still hanging around. I would say it is there about 60% of my day. Seems to be worse in the evenings now and mostly when I am at work. 

Headache: Have had a daily headache that is a sharp pain in the base of my skull and what feels like a tight band constricting around my skull across my forehead. This has been going on for about a week and is pretty consistent.

Stomach issues: Still have upset stomach throughout the day and the last couple of days I have had heartburn in the evenings.

Emotional: The doom cloud is back somewhat. Seems to happen most in the evenings as well

Fatigue: Went from insomnia and barely getting 3-5 hours of sleep to severe fatigue. Still have trouble falling asleep but when I do I want to sleep 10+ hours and am so tired all day.  

Muscle tension: Along with the headache I have had muscle tension in my shoulders, neck, and jaw throughout the day. 

Better:

Skin rash: The skin rash thing seems to have improved and most of that is gone for now. 

Random:

Some mild clicking in my right ear a few times but not consistent as well as a random muscle tic in my right shoulder and a weird numbness in the tip of my left thumb. 

Still feeling very frustrated with the fact that the dizziness is still sticking around 3.5 months after it started and won't go away. I have tried everything I can think of to help it get better and it won't. I think the B vitamin and amino acid supplement help as I notice I get more dizzy on the days I don't take it but I wish my brain would just stabilize and it would go away! I think the dizziness has a lot to do with how emotional I get as well. Very dizzy days = high emotions. 

• Administrator

Can you try the amino acid supplement separately? Whey protein isolate is a good way to get those aminos.

How are you doing with magnesium and fish oil?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Can you try the amino acid supplement separately? Whey protein isolate is a good way to get those aminos.

How are you doing with magnesium and fish oil?

The supplement I have been taking is a combined supplement powder that you mix in liquid, but I do have some whey protein mix that I could use that would not have the B Vitamins in it. Are you thinking they might be part of the problem?

I have been very religious about taking my fish oil every day and have been doing Magnesium via Epsom salt baths 3-4 days a week. I do have some Natural Calm magnesium I could mix in water. I have been a little hesitant about using more mag just because my stomach is already upset and I worried it might make it worse. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlynn! 

Yeah, with magnesium, someone told me a person can take more up until the point that they get stomach upset. Sounds like that's what you're doing. The magnesium, of course, can help with sleep. 

I am amazed that you are able to function with all these, but especially with the dizziness. 

I did a google search for Community Acupuncture (lower cost; safe and might really help)--looks like there are clinics in Denver, C. Springs, Boulder… It could be worth a try! ! ! ! 

The headaches: You're drinking enough water, right? And more now that it's summer? I know: duh. But I'm kind of wracking my brain thinking of little things that might help.

Muscle tension might be a good excuse to get a massage if/when possible. Sometimes groupon has good deals. 

Hang in there! ! ! You are AWESOME and you will get through this.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report the dizziness has improved greatly over the last couple of weeks! Over the last week I would say I have felt pretty good.

So in light of feeling better I went ahead and made the long awaited drop to 10 mg. It took me almost a year with a few storms along the way to get to this point. I have never in all my attempts made it this far and been able to stay without reinstating. Holding now for at least six months or more. Fingers crossed that this drop goes well!

Congratulations on your drop to 10mgs. It's been a long time in the making. I hope it all goes well.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Congrats on the huge milestone! Very happy to hear the dizziness has improved as well. :)

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

Day 11 @ 10 mg.

Had some symptoms flare up making me feel pretty cruddy at about a 5-6.

Symptoms

Dizziness is back. Not nearly as bad as before though. Kind of comes and goes throughout the day.

Vision issues - This is a new one for me. For the last few days my eyes have been blurry and uncomfortable. I have tried changing my contacts, eye drops, or just wearing my glasses and nothing helps. Wearing my glasses for long periods of time seem to aggravate my dizziness. This is a very stressful symptom right now as nothing I do is helping it or making it less uncomfortable. I am assuming this is a WD symptom but maybe I should be worried about it being something else?

Clicking in ears- sporadically during the day and mostly when trying to fall asleep.

Overheating at night- causes me to wake up drenched with sweat.

Mood- very short temper and some doom cloud issues.

Headache and muscle tension- mostly at the base of my skull and tension in shoulders and upper back.

It is still early in this drop so hopefully all will level out over the next month or so and enjoy several months of stabilization.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlynn! 

Dizziness, nooooooooooooooooo. But this does, as I think you've said, clearly indicate that the dizziness is withdrawal-related. 

To me, it definitely sounds like the vision is withdrawal-related. If it starts on a dime with a recent dosage reduction, I think we can really deduce that it is withdrawal.

What is the clicking like, exactly? Like someone clicking a pen?

"Doom cloud issues" -- oh, no. :( Although I do like the phase "doom cloud." And yes -- months of stabilization! I think it will really be heavenly. I think your nervous system will be like, ahhhhhhhhh -- thank you so much.

Hang in there. 

Talk to you soon. :)

I'm betting your visions issues are related to the headaches/neck tension as I had the exact same problem earlier in the year. Daily headaches for months, stiff and sore neck, floaters and blurry vision. I went to the eye doctor and they said my vision was basically fine and prescribed me glasses to wear when working. I got a massage for the headaches and neck tension but it didn't really do much. I also saw a doctor for the headaches and she said they were likely just tension headaches and to "relax and do non stressful things". Thanks lol. I'm still not sure if my issues were caused by staring at numbers on a screen all day for work, work stress or both. All I know is when I stopped working it all resolved in a month or so.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

Two weeks at 10 mg and things are still pretty rough.

Yesterday I got out of the shower and had such a bad dizzy episode that the room spun out of control and I collapsed on the bathroom floor. I began sweating profusely and started vomiting. This lasted for about 5-10 minutes before it subsided. Once it did I spent several hours with dizziness and upset stomach.

Along with that the last three nights I have been hot at bedtime despite it being very cool in the house. My husband has even cooled it off even more the last couple of nights down to 62 degrees in the bedroom and I am still hot when I try and go to sleep. Last three nights I have also woke up between 3-4 am burning up, sweating profusely, and angry. My skin is cold and clammy but on the inside I am on fire. I have to get up and cool off before I can lay back down.

I did notice yesterday there is some correlation between getting hot and then the dizziness flares up right after that happens.

Seem to be having some trouble controlling my temper right now too. The littlest things send me into a rage. I try and just let it pass without directing it anyone but have gone off a couple of times.

Headaches and muscle tension are a little better it seems. Comes and goes as opposed to being constant.

Clicking in ear seems to be resolving. Only remember a couple of times in the last few days.

Vision seems to be clearing up. Noticed less blurring and distorted vision the last couple of days.

Interesting you mentioned floaters Ladybug. My latest eye appointment my doctor said I have a ton of floaters. I have been noticing them a lot over the last few years but never put them together with the medication. I have seen a lot of members say they have them pretty bad.

Right now I am just trying to hang on and ride this wave out hoping it doesn't last for months as I am feeling just wretched.

• Moderator Emeritus

The 3am wakeup and irritability/anger is likely a cortisol spike. Between 3 & 4 am is a very common time for these events. The dizziness afterward fits into a cortisol spike experience. 

Waking up with panic or anxiety - managing cortisol spikes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Dizziness is getting progressively worse the last few days. Accompanied by nausea and vomiting at times. It has become debilitating at times.

Body temperature seems to be regulating a little better now. Just got when trying to go to sleep but not waking up overheated the last few nights.

Headaches are almost constant right now. Dull ache in the base of my skull and sharp pains in my temples.

Rainy and cool her today so I am going to take the day and just relax and rest. I usually feel guilty about doing that but not today. Hopefully it will help my brain to heal a little better.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 42 @ 10 mg 

Still fighting the severe dizziness. I am having some pretty significant waves right now. I will have an hour or two with mild dizziness followed by several hours or days of major dizziness accompanied by severe vertigo (even when laying down), nausea, sweating, and sometimes collapsing. I was hoping by now to have some relief but it continues to plague me very hard. I can not pinpoint any triggers, anything that makes it better, or specific times where it is better or worse. It is all over the place. 

Still having mild headaches and muscle stiffness in my neck and shoulders. They seem to come and go. 

Seems like I have developed a hypersensitive to some smells. Not sure if this is a wd symptom or not but seems like I can smell things very strong now that others can't hardly smell. 

The dizziness brings on a bit of a doom cloud and feelings of frustration, anger, despair, and hopelessness. 

Still trying to do all the right things to give my brain the best fighting chance to heal, but really this is just exhausting waiting to stabilize. .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlynn,

It sounds like the dizziness is still overwhelming. Good news about the waves -- that is showing that healing is happening. 

This can be so overwhelming and depressing, and can certainly cause hopelessness. I believe you will get better though.   Remember to rest when you can. 

• 4 months later...

It has been forever since I have updated but I really feel like there has not been any significant changes in my situation and I have been avoiding putting that down in words because it can be so distressing.

I have been holding at 10 mg for almost 6 months now. I have had a few good days and I have bad days. Windows and waves I guess.

I have a doctor’s appointment next week that was scheduled months ago to discuss my medication and continuing my taper. At this point I think I have decided I am going to stay on the 10 mg for 2017 and start tapering again in 2018 if, God willing, these symptoms have subsided. They have taken such a toll on me and have been so debilitating at times that I just don’t have it in me to keep going and fight though more or increased symptoms. I have been on this drug for almost 20 years so I believe it is going to take a lot of years to get off of it and at this point that is okay.

Current symptoms:

Dizziness has been coming and going and has gotten bad again the last couple of days with the vertigo and spinning room and collapsing. It seems like there is some form of dizziness every day, mostly mild but it has come on again the last couple of days as bad as it was in the beginning.

Headaches – especially in the neck and upper shoulders seems to be a daily occurrence lately.

Vision issues – the floaters in my eyes seem to be more annoying than usual.

Skin is all itchy and have some breakouts/sores and rough dry patches cropping up.

Terrible fatigue all day and insomnia at night. I could lay down and sleep for hours in the afternoon and come bed time I can’t seem to turn it off. Have been avoiding the naps but still get that weird second wind at night.

Intermittent clicking in the ear lasting 10-30 seconds at a time.

I wish I could say my mood and feelings are getting better but it seems I have been feeling the doom cloud the whole time. Bouts of feeling depressed and angry to just feeling blah and detached.

Still plugging along trying to take care of myself and keep trying to think positive and hope the longer I hold the better it will get. 

Thanks for the update Jlynn

I think a long hold is not a silly idea well done on holding it at 10mg hopefully you wont have to wait for the whole year to see your mood get better.

Maybe 10% is too much of a drop perhaps consider 5 % from here on in.

Happy New Year

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks Nz11 and Happy New Year to you too!

Update:

Saw my PCP yesterday and even though I am not convinced he believes these meds can cause severe withdrawals he at least believes me when I say I want to hold and when I resume go very slow. He is willing to prescribe whatever I need him to and support me however he can and let me do the rest. That is good I suppose, though I would love to change his mind about antidepressants and their safety. 

Dizziness and symptoms have been mild the last couple of days so hopefully this wave is ending. (fingers crossed) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Your doctor's support is great -- it's the appetizer, main course, and the cake; his belief would be the decoration on the icing of the cake. I'm glad you've got a medical person who listens to you.

Hooray for the possible end of a wave!

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I would love to change his mind about antidepressants and their safety. 

Did you know that paxil and paroxetine are the same.

So print out the journal article by McLaren and give him that.

See McLarens quote in my drug sig.

You could also give him the press release from the BMJ on study329 restored.

And also see the class action suit in the australian members thread from a sydney firm D S Lawyers

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Jlynn, I have just red your journal.  You are an inspiration!  I am glad that the dizziness seems to have calmed down now.  I totally get the slow taper as I have been on this taper journey for years-sometimes with very long holds.  Being functional during this process is vital.  It was interesting to read about your heightened sense of smell as it is a symptom I've had for several years and still haven't shook, while the others come and go.  I've switched to free and clear detergents and tried to keep fragrances as low as possible (hard with 3 now teenage kids, much younger when I started).  I actually began ssris for post partum anxiety and my youngest just turned 13.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have not taken the first pill, as the meds and withdrawal were much worse than the original anxiety, but I know most of us feel that way.  Hold as long as you need to.  You are doing awesome!!!

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg