Rhodiola rosea

Addax

• Moderator Emeritus

The findings also suggest that this supplement is helpful in decreasing waking cortisol.

Planta Med. 2009 Feb;75(2):105-12. doi: 10.1055/s-0028-1088346. Epub 2008 Nov 18.

"A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardised extract shr-5 of the roots of Rhodiola rosea in the treatment of subjects with stress-related fatigue."

Olsson EM1, von Schéele B, Panossian AG.

Abstract
The aim of the study was to assess the efficacy of the standardised extract SHR-5 of roots of Rhodiola Rosea L. in the treatment of individuals suffering from stress-related fatigue.

The phase III clinical trial took the form of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with parallel groups. Participants, males and females aged between 20 and 55 years, were selected according to the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare diagnostic criteria for fatigue syndrome. A total of 60 individuals were randomised into two groups, one ( N = 30) of which received four tablets daily of SHR-5 extract (576 mg extract/day), while a second ( N = 30) received four placebo tablets daily.

The effects of the extract with respect to quality of life (SF-36 questionnaire), symptoms of fatigue (Pines' burnout scale), depression (Montgomery -Asberg depression rating scale - MADRS), attention (Conners' computerised continuous performance test II - CCPT II), and saliva cortisol response to awakening were assessed on day 1 and after 28 days of medication. Data were analysed by between-within analyses of variance.

No serious side effects that could be attributed to the extract were reported.

Significant post-treatment improvements were observed for both groups (placebo effect) in Pines' burnout scale, mental health (SF-36), and MADRS and in several CCPT II indices of attention, namely, omissions, commissions, and Hit RT SE. When the two groups were compared, however, significant effects of the SHR-5 extract in comparison with the placebo were observed in Pines' burnout scale and the CCPT II indices omissions, Hit RT SE, and variability. Pre- VERSUS post-treatment cortisol responses to awakening stress were significantly different in the treatment group compared with the control group.

It is concluded that repeated administration of R. ROSEA extract SHR-5 exerts an anti-fatigue effect that increases mental performance, particularly the ability to concentrate, and decreases cortisol response to awakening stress in burnout patients with fatigue syndrome.

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks to abstract for readability

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

This is interesting, Rhodiola rosea was one of the supplements I tried in early withdrawal, I've probably still got the half empty bottle somewhere.

Do you have a link for this Addax?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

This would seem to suggest that rhodiola is stimulating, which might not be helpful to those in w/d having anxiety symptoms.  I guess it could possibly be helpful to those with fatigue as a major symptom, depending on how they react to it, as people's systems in w/d often do not react in a "normal" way.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 1 year later...

I did not see this in topics. Has anyone tried this herb?
I read some great things on this for mental clarity, stress relief, fatigue and exercise poop out.
It's an adaptogen and not meant for later in day although some reported improved sleep overall.
I also read that there are no side effects.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

OK some news is in from  Consumer Labs.

Rhodiola is almost as effective at Sertraline as controlling depression.  Not quite, but almost - and - they say in the article that it is better, as it has a better risk / benefit ratio than Sertraline.  This was at 340 mg, and for those who benefitted, some went up to as much as 1360 mg.

Here's that article:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0944711315000331

Another article talked about helping with anxiety:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26502953 giving rhodiola a favourable safety profile.  In this study, they took 200 mg before breakfast, and 200 mg before lunch.

They also offered a interactions warning: Not to be taken with Lexapro (escitalopram), major interaction.  They cautioned against using it with any antidepressant (SSRI/SNRI/ tricyclic), and to "check with your doctors" for conflicts.  However, the conflicts that I see doctors prescribe, I have a feeling they will just say, "it's an herb, whatever."

So - my advice is:  if you are still tapering, if you are still on an antidepressant drugit is better not to take rhodiola.

However, if you have been off the drugs for at least a year, and are struggling with depression, it might be of help, especially if combined with other tools from your toolkit.

I take it as an adrenal tonic, to help smooth the cortisol spikes.  I do not take it all the time, as I find it more stimulating than ashwaganda (for example)

Edited by JanCarol

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 months later...

I just tried taking a pill of this yesterday and I'm pretty sure it increased my anxiety, which is listed as a possible side effect ironically, since I took it to decrease my anxiety.  Now I see that it interacts with Lexapro which is what I've been weaning off of!  I've looked at other sources and couldn't find interaction warnings.  Anyhow, I probably will let this one go.  Even though it's hard to tell if I'm just anxious about supplementation.  Would need husband to do a double blind test on me to really know.  I read that if you get jittery from coffee, you probably shouldn't take rhodiola for anxiety.

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Rhodiola rosea: Study suggests benefit on stress-related fatigue and waking cortisol
  • 10 months later...

I'm going to try some at a very low dose hopefully  to try get some some relief ( 16 years  on prozac  now 44 months cold turkey  ) i have tried it before it worked for 2 weeks but i had a wave and i wasn't educated enough to know that waves still happen that put me 

off at the time and stopped i should of kept going because it had soothed some of the symptoms and cleared the head a bit  life was a little better  if anything it may of played into my insomnia but that's a some price to pay considering the benefits  i've just stopped a reinstatement  of a  micro dose of prozac of over a duration of 6 months  no effect  to worried to up the dose

I've been medication free for 65 months and a half months as posted of May 30th 2021 , stopped   med's December 14th 2015,  history  20 years on  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day,  stopped  Moclobemide sometime in 2012 then about a year later lowered Prozac  dose to 20mg  per day, then changed to Paroxetine, then change to a Mirtazapine,  then change to Lexapro,  then changed to Brintellix,  then changed to Edronax  all at 10mgs or less  over a period of about  year,   Edronax tapered 4mg to 2mg over  10 weeks, 2 mg for 8 weeks 1 mg for 10 weeks  stopped all meds completely 14 December 2015  3 months later all HELL broke loose 

18 Jan 2019 reinstated Prozac  .25 mg then ceased 8/8/20

• ChessieCat changed the title to Rhodiola rosea: study suggests benefit on stress-related fatigue and waking cortisol
  • 5 months later...

Hi all. I have been using a Rhodiola Rosea supplement (250 mg a day) for the past week and it has helped reduce the brain fog and the hyper-irritability. I haven't had fits of rage since I started taking it or as much electromagnetic sensitivity.  So I can now use a computer normally. The drawback, however, is that I have had broken sleep since starting the supplement. I will look for a good melatonin supplement to see if it helps counteract this side effect. What is your take on using Rhodiola Rosea during the WD process? Thank you in advance for your kind feedback.

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• Altostrata changed the title to Rhodiola rosea
  • 3 years later...

Does someone know how exactly rodhiola acts as a stimulant? Does it enter the gut-brain barrier? Is it connected with serotonin receptors or what? I wonder similar for other herbs that act as stimulants. Thanx

2019  march to september fluvoxamin, stopped during 4 weeks
2020 march to june 3 different antidepressants, every month one of them

2020 july to september clozapin, stopped during 4 weeks

2021 may trintellix (whole box at once)

2021 may to september lorazepam and may to december venlafaxin xl, both stopped during 4 weeks

2022 june to december aripripazol, escitalopram, lorazepam (and 2 more in june, one of them mood stabilizer), aripripazol stopped cold turkey

2023 during january sulpirid, stopped cold turkey

2023 january to april continued with 20 mg escitalopram and 5 mg lorazepam

escitalopram 3 April 10 mg

lorazepam 10 April 3.75 mg

• 3 months later...

I've been sitting on trying Rhodiola.  Anyone have experience with it.  I can't find concrete information on whether it affects dopamine or serotonin.  I remember a while back someone mentioned it was more dopaminergic but I can't find any sources to substantiate that.  Anyone know for sure? thanks.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

See this existing discussion.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Suggestions if taking this when on a reinstated mount of 1 mg of Fluoxetine is a good idea?

fluoxetine since 13 (2012) with a break at some. point in there. 

When I came off I was on 80 mg. I cut out one dose a week.

Last dose taken on 1/25/23

Reinstated 1 milligram April 24th, 2023

I have tried all sorts of supplements… innate response formulas adrenal response, neurolink, pro eze, valerian, integrative therapeutics pro-som. My daily pills include l-methylfolate, fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin D3, and a currently a probiotic. I also take melatonin at nighttime!

Currently taking fish oil (amount varies), magnesium(roughly 187 milligrams) (this includes magnesium lotion), take epsom salt baths, magnesium l-threonate (145 mg), melatonin time release (3 mg), lemon balm tea

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy