ngs1022 My battle to get off Seroquel, Trazodone and Fluvoxamine

ngs1022

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to gain some information about tapering off Seroquel, Trazodone and Fluvoxamine. I have been on them for a good 10 years. I have tried to taper just on what I thought sounded like a good plan and it turned out to be too fast of a taper. My current psych is frankly not very smart when it comes to tapering. She once had me taper off my Seroquel 300 dose in a 6 days span...to zero!!! It was the worst experience to date for me. I'd like to find out which one of my meds I should get off first. This is somewhat scary as I have taken meds for anxiety and sleep since I was 20. I am now 36. I live in WA state, Spokane to be exact, and really need a new DR. I feel like these meds, or one of them at least, is making me feel worse. I wake up in the morning unrefreshed, weak and unmotivated. I want my life back. I want to do this the right way though. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never had great Dr.'s. All they want to do is medicate medicate medicate and not deal with the underlying issues. I hope someone out there, here, can help me.

My nightly meds include:

250mg Seroquel

200mg Trazodone

50mg Fluvoxamine

Past meds: 2000-Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Effexor...not at the same time, just tried everything

2002-2010- Doxepin, Trazodone, Klonopin

2010-2015- Seroquel Trazodone, Fluvoxamine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  ngs1022 ,  welcome to the site.    We all seem to have had doctors trained in the same method: When in doubt , medicate.  No need to be embarrassed.

One of the m oderators will be able to advise on which drug is the best/most suitable to taper first.

You might try reading some threads in the Tapering section , like "Why Taper by 10%".

Your experience of the meds no longer helping is quite common , and you'll get support and information here on how to get off them safely.

Good to have you on board ,  Fresh

p.s. If you click FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, ngs.

Please read Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

When did you try to go off Seroquel? Was Seroquel added to the other drugs to help you sleep? Which drug did you start to take first? When did the sleep problems start?

Do you take all three drugs at night?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, ngs.

Please read Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

When did you try to go off Seroquel? Was Seroquel added to the other drugs to help you sleep? Which drug did you start to take first? When did the sleep problems start?

Do you take all three drugs at night?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

A little history on me....At the age of 20 I started having social anxiety so bad that I would get sick, puke etc.if I pushed myself to do the things I really wanted to do inside of me. I wanted to be normal so bad and i really took it hard when my anxiety began to run my world. I couldn't eat, sleep, or talk to people that I wanted to meet or date. I learned the only way to avoid getting sick and making myself so anxious was to avoid social situations. That led to me avoiding other social situations and other social situations that normally wouldn't bother me. I went to the DR and they gave me anti depressants to start with which didn't even dull a single ounce of my pain. I became afraid of bedtime because I knew I wouldnt' sleep if I was anxious. So to this day, I take all meds at bedtime so I can sleep, that will be a hill to climb getting off of meds that help me sleep.

I tried to taper off Seroquel about 6 months ago. And the taper was like a 6 day taper down to zero mg per day.....yea it didn't work. I was put on Seroquel back in 2010 to get me off of doxepin and klonopin. I think I was put on trazodone at the same time I started the seroquel. The fluvoxamine was added in later as a poor decision on my Dr.'s part that I fell for and now have to deal with. Yes the seroquel was added for sleep. Sleep has been a problem since day 1 BUT anxiety is what keeps me awake. Why she chose seroquel I will never know. I'm not psychotic whatsoever but it helps anxiety i guess. . Anyway, here are the interactions for the three meds and yes I take them all at bedtime.

Trazodone - Fluvoxamine

Using traZODone together with fluvoxaMINE can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweatinglb_icon1.png, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best courseicon1.png of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Trazodone - quetiapine

Using traZODone together with QUEtiapine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Fluvoxamine-quetiapine

FluvoxaMINE may increase the blood levels of QUEtiapine. You may be more likely to experience side effects such as dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; constipation; increased appetite; weight gain; increased blood sugar and cholesterol or triglyceride levels; cognitive and motor impairment; involuntary muscle movements involving the face, tongue, or other parts of the body; difficulty swallowing; low blood pressure (especially at the start of treatment or after a dose increase); blood pressure increases (reported in children and teenagers); irregular heart rhythm; and seizures. Let your doctor know if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

My nightly meds include:

250mg Seroquel

200mg Trazodone

50mg Fluvoxamine

Past meds: 2000-Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Effexor...not at the same time, just tried everything

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to gain some information about tapering off Seroquel, Trazodone and Fluvoxamine. I have been on them for a good 10 years. I have tried to taper just on what I thought sounded like a good plan and it turned out to be too fast of a taper. My current psych is frankly not very smart when it comes to tapering. She once had me taper off my Seroquel 300 dose in a 6 days span...to zero!!! It was the worst experience to date for me. I'd like to find out which one of my meds I should get off first. This is somewhat scary as I have taken meds for anxiety and sleep since I was 20. I am now 36. I live in WA state, Spokane to be exact, and really need a new DR. I feel like these meds, or one of them at least, is making me feel worse. I wake up in the morning unrefreshed, weak and unmotivated. I want my life back. I want to do this the right way though. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never had great Dr.'s. All they want to do is medicate medicate medicate and not deal with the underlying issues. I hope someone out there, here, can help me.

ngs,

Welcome to the board.  Please don't be embarrassed that you didn't find a great psychiatrist as it is very hard to find one who doesn't think that drugs are the answer to everything.   Heck, it is hard to even find a great regular doctor.   So you're definitely not alone regarding this situation.

Good luck with your taper and you have come to a great place for support.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

ngs, given those drug-drug interactions, I might go off trazodone first. It's entirely possible the trazodone - fluvoxamine combination is causing unpleasant sensations that might be mistaken for anxiety.

See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Well i decided to taper my fluvoxamine first...went from 25mg to 12.5 after about a month....kept on 12.5 for a couple momths and then quit the 12.5mg because i couldnt cut the pill any more. Two days after my last dose I got a hoorrrrrrible headache which obviously was the withdrawals symptom along with some anxiety. Jeez i guess i need to go down to 6mg for a couple months...just dont know how im gonna get that tiny 12.5mg pill in half....because its already been cut twice!!! Fluvoxamine sucks!

My nightly meds include:

250mg Seroquel

200mg Trazodone

50mg Fluvoxamine

• Administrator